Early Riser. My First Grey.

Guest serenc

Guest BlackandTan

Crate helped a lot last night. DIago would wake up and whine for a minute and settle right back down.... Best sleep Ive gotten in a few months!

Wow... I love Hank's ears! He looks like he's got an imp in his eyes. :lol

I don't have advice except as others have said, ignore-ignore-ignore, no matter how much your insides twist and you feel horrible. If you're going to be awake by getting up for him, be awake but stay in bed. Even pushing the time ahead by 5 or 10 minutes every couple of days will work (assuming there is no UTI).

Guest verthib

I went through this with fosters and visiting hounds. Ultimately, after you rule out anything medical, what worked for me was the squirt bottle. It sounds harsh, but after a few days of "okay, I'm SURE you don't need to potty and can hold it and trust you won't pee on the floor," (and even then, the whiner or pacer was told to "down" first before we went anywhere to not reward the pacing/whining behavior), I would tell them to SHHH!!! And then if it persisted, a squirt of water to the face. This solved the problem after a few days with even my most persistent foster, the one who readily had to be reminded he didn't run the show. He was still instantly ready for action the second anyone sat up, but he learned that nothing good happened UNTIL then. I also would praise them all extensively every time they laid down or went back to their beds, and wouldn't open the door until they all were on them, no matter the time.

Now, I am a happy camper living with two hounds that let me sleep in as late as I want, and they are happy to do so!

As for fear of making them silent in the case of emergency, I've found that the surprising, but very mild squirt of water is not enough to deter a pup who REALLY needs to potty.

We use the squirt bottle too! We even use it to help Angus be nicer to other dogs at playgroup and have used it to train him away from our kitties. It's a perfect tool to use that doesn't require physical contact or yelling. The only thing I would add is that we set it to the most powerful/concentrated stream and *don't* squirt in the face. We squirt on the back/side or rump. A long time ago my mother was doing that to our poodle's face and she accidentally squirted him in the eye. It was extremely painful for the dog and his eye was never the same. Our trainer also recommended staying away from the face. Just MO.

Anyway, be patient and it will happen!! (hopefully!) :lol

Rising early is common with newly adopted dogs; but it doesn't sound like this dog IS newly adopted.

My guess is his prior owner let him out whenever he wanted to go out. You don't have to do that. I agree with the idea of having him checked out by a vet, but once you've done that, you need to teach him what "go lie down" means. If you take him out right before bedtime, he should be able to hold it for quite a long time.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I wouldn't squirt bottle.

If he really has to go before @ 9 hours overnight, I'd check for UTI, run bloodwork if that's negative, make sure his weight is appropriate, make sure he's not cold. Then as others have said, be strong :lol . One firm "go lie down" and then ignore him -- no eye contact, no touching, no talking. For my dogs, I use the alarm clock as a signal. With a tough case I'll start out setting it for @ half hour before I think pup will get up and move it later over the course of several days.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.