Collar + Harness?

I'm thinking of getting a Freedom Harness with the two ended leash because Tracker is quite leash reactive. Is there a reason to still use the martingale collar as a back up in case he slipped the harness (although the logistics of how I'd connect the collar to the harness escape me at the moment)?

Some people use a carabiner to attach the collar to the harness or leash for greater protection.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

My two young boys where collars and harnesses. The harnes on Dustin is because he slipped a maringale once....and I just kept the collar as added protection. JJ where's both because he is non-grey reactive and having the two allow me control. In Dustin's case, I use the leash with attachment that hooks to both. For JJ, I actually use two separate leashes.

If you are worried about an escape or spook, I would recomment both.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I used both a martingale and a WWW harness for Claire for a while, she was pretty spooky when she came to me and one time when we were walking (within the first month I had her), she bucked up and tried to back out of her collar, that's when I started walking her in a harness...then, when I watched her pull a Houdini in the back of the car (she looked like she dislocated her shoulders) to back out of a harness, I knew I needed to use both a martingale and a WWW harness for walks. I used a two dog coupler attached to the leash and then to the martingale and the harness.

She's a lot better, so now I only walk her with a harness, though I do use a carabiner for both dogs harnesses when I walk them, I've had leash clips fail in the past with my other dogs. I don't want to take any chances.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest KennelMom

I'd use a coupler to attach the harness to the collar and you could do a caribeaner "backup" since leash hardware can fail. All of our leashes have locking clasps on them.

Karma can get out of anything, so just in case I clip one end of the leash to the harness, the other to her collar. I do something similar for my GP, she can turn into a freight train at times, so one end of leash goes to collar, the other to a "gentle leader". Google "euro leash" to find leashes with a clip on each end, I just ordered another one from Amazon for under $20.00.

P.S. I know all about the problems with gentle leaders, just to save some of you the effort of typing :P

spud_karma_sig.jpgmed_gallery_2551_3357_5098.jpg

Ivon, Spud, Karma & Sasha

Missing Darla (05-22-96 03-01-2010)

I use a short strap to attach the two.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I routinely use a harness and a collar on my spooky girl, just for added security. I use a shorter leash and a coupler to attach the two. I tried using just the leash and harness with the rest, but you need to do training to have them walk without the extra control of the collar. They all act like they have nothing on when using just the harness. And my boy that pulled just went wherever he wanted.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest mcsheltie

Leersburg.com has a really nice leather leash for use with a prong collar and a back-up collar - link. It would work for what you want too. You would put the shorter tab on the harness. The leather is butter-soft!

This is how I walk my spooks, with the harness and martingale attached. I ALWAYS walk using the martingale. The harness is for back-up.

5b64c05a.jpg

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest snowmo18

Great picture, I just got a harness for our boy...he doesnt get spooked easy but really pulls on the collar, especially on our runs, so by the end his neck is so sore and he sometimes even gets a cough going that really bothers me. I hope the harness w/ collar helps prevent this.

I've a double ended strap much like greytzu's that i clip between the harness and collar after Throp nearly escaped his harness by ducking his head & reversing out. I doubt Hattie would pull that trick, but i still clip it to her collar to be on the safe side.

My Ruby is a very nervous girl. She slipped out of her harness one time while we were camping and she ran into the woods. Thank God that she stopped about 50 feet in and stood there and let me get her. After that I purchased a spook harness. I love it. She can not get out of this (at least I pray she cant). It has an extra strap that goes around the belly.

http://www.majesticc...com/harness.htm

Edited by leemc

I like to use the martingale & harness together so that if one breaks or they get out of it I have them by the other. I used to attach the collar to the harness with a "safety strap" from Majestic collars which is like a coupler. Not too long ago I got one of the Majestic spook leashes which I like even better because I just attach one snap to the harness and one to the martingale and don't have to bother with a coupler. I figure getting away or not could cost them their very life so I try to take every measure to keep it from happenning just for my peace of mind. Otherwise I would be worrying about something breaking and them getting away etc.

Guest BluMommy

This is how I walk my spooks, with the harness and martingale attached. I ALWAYS walk using the martingale. The harness is for back-up.

5b64c05a.jpg

Oh this is a GREYT idea. Sky is not a spook. In fact she is the opposite. She wants to check everything out and chase birds, squirrels, leaves, cars, etc. Yesterday I was walking her and was nervous. I'm going to use this system for her!!