Stretching

Guest greysmitten

Guest greysmitten

Is this a common Grey thing?

My girl stretches frequently. It's almost like she stretches when she doesn't know what else to do - when she's tired, when she's excited, before someone pets her, etc. I've never seen another dog do this nearly as much. It sure is cute though.

I swear it's a signal that she wants to be touched. Anyone else?

-mikey

Guest jbbuzby

I can answer that for you!

Does she also frequently shake herself out too?

Dogs stretch and or shake out to start or end an activity...a sort of closure of transitions(ending sleeping/laying down, starting something new). You can read more about it in The Inside of a Dog. I didn't understand it either, but the book was quite enlightening :).

I remember this happening when we first got Kasey a lot. That would be all he would do. It was almost like it was a mechanism to relieve stress or anxiety or when he didn't know what else to do, he would stretch.

Stretching is a normal and regular thing and I especially love when they curl their nails to scratch my lovely floor... :rolleyes:

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Summit stretches in both directions (front and back) at least once every time he gets up from a nap... sometimes even just to change positions. He stretches many times a day as a result. :rolleyes: Oh yeah, and sometimes he lets one rip while he's stretching. :blink:

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Stretching is a normal and regular thing and I especially love when they curl their nails to scratch my lovely floor... :rolleyes:

Oh my goodness, I couldn't have said that better...I'm sure my landlord will appreciate it as well, yikes!

Greyhounds have such amazing flexibility, I love seeing them stretch every which way. I always call my girl yoga dog, and love it when she combines her stretches with a nice loud yawn.

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Annie Bella always stretches when she wakes from a long nap, just as we humans stretch to release the tension in our muscles. And the shaking.. cracks me up. It's almost violent, with hair flying and tail flopping around. Yah, she loves to shake and "get it all out" whatever "it" is.

Summit stretches in both directions (front and back) at least once every time he gets up from a nap... sometimes even just to change positions. He stretches many times a day as a result. :rolleyes: Oh yeah, and sometimes he lets one rip while he's stretching. :blink:

LMAO! Thank you. I'm glad no one was in my office when I read that and I had just swallowed my coffee!

Annie Bella always stretches when she wakes from a long nap, just as we humans stretch to release the tension in our muscles. And the shaking.. cracks me up. It's almost violent, with hair flying and tail flopping around. Yah, she loves to shake and "get it all out" whatever "it" is.

Ginger stretches a lot, I figured it was normal but until someone said it it never occurred to me that she does do it usually after an "event".

And the shaking cracks me up also. It is usually just a normal shake but if she's excited it can be so violent she almost knocks herself down, she looks like a cartoon with her tail flopping and a foot flapping.

Brooks%20Leatherworks%20Greytalk_zpsqf7j

Absolutely, after napping, playing and always before she goes out into the yard.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest greyers

All of my greyhounds have stretched a ridiculous number of times a day. Always after naps or when repositioning themselves, but also when trying to be "cute" and get my attention, or when I try to put their collars on for a walk, or even just some times when bored! They yawn an insane amount of times throughout the day too. That is usually nervousness or just to get my attention. LOVE THAT PIC BrianRKE

Great picture BrianRke!

Lila stretches front and back whenever she gets out of bed. Unless there is something really urgent she needs to attend to, like a hamburger.

I heard a doctor say recently that we humans should take a clue from our dogs and stretch more. It's good for all of us.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Guest FijiHound

Nugget stretches A LOT. And does the crazy shake, I love seeing her tongue hanging out during the crazy shake :lol. The stretches seem so ladylike and then the crazy tongue out shake just ruins it :rolleyes:

She always does this as she's on her way to get a pat and a hug

I can answer that for you!

Does she also frequently shake herself out too?

Dogs stretch and or shake out to start or end an activity...a sort of closure of transitions(ending sleeping/laying down, starting something new). You can read more about it in The Inside of a Dog. I didn't understand it either, but the book was quite enlightening :).

I'm going to buy this, thanks!

I've been around lots of greyhounds, enough to probably be an annoying know-it-all. When Zoe came to my house she stretched so often I actually asked the vet and a behaviorist about it! :lol Guess she just likes to transition.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Love that photo of the double greys, too. So beautiful.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16