Our Greyhound Bit My Wife

Guest Harefoot

I won't add anything because you have had very good advice. I just wanted to say that of course it is frightening when your new big dog bites and that your wife's feelings are normal. Also very normal that your feelings are hurt. Mine were. But do use it as a learning experience. Many many of us have experienced this when as newbies we made a mistake with our dogs. Dogs that went on to be the loves of our lives and that we would trust completely.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Liz_in_PA

I can clip any cat's nails. I don't do dogs. They have big scary teeth. I let the groomer be the bad person.

Don't give up on Ajax. My dog scared me a lot the first two or three months. (first dog) And he's bitten my kid, who deserved it (no skin broken). Don't give up on Ajax.

Guest giantsfan

I wanted to add that I also believe that Ajax gave notice that he was unhappy and the bite happened because his warning wasn't heeded. One of mine bit me while doing nails. He started with a low growl, which I ignored because I was "almost done" :rolleyes: and gradually the growl got deeper and deeper and then he nipped my elbow. Completely my fault and truly if he had wanted to do some damage, it would've been more than a nip to the elbow. Lesson learned and definitely no trust issues with him, before or after the incident. So this is just another plea for you not to give up on Ajax.

She didn't snap at me, just gave me the sad doe-eyes which may actually be worse lol. But yea I'm with you, she has to realize who's boss and it ain't going to be her. One thing I may do is leave her harness on after her walk while I'm getting ready for work so I have something to grab if she decides to be stubborn (my wife's idea).

Is there any special reason you are crating her since she obviously doesn't like it? There's no law that says you have to. If she's housebroken, maybe she's just done with the crate?

I'm sorry this happened, and pretty much everything has been said already. I do want to add that folks assuming he was in pain need to remember that if you cut a dog's nails too short, THEY BLEED. I assume the OP would have mentioned blood.

Sounds like he's a bit of a drama queen, and the simply answer is that until he knows and trusts you more, get someone else to do his nails.

I hope your wife is OK and that she gives him another chance!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Be aware also that some nail clippers have a crushing effect, which can be painful, even if you don't cut the quick. I just bought a new pair and tried them out the other day. I cut one nail and Sunny cried a little, which he has never done before, so I stopped immediately and will never use those clippers again. I could feel and hear the crushing effect as I was using them. I would never think that my dog is imagining pain, or being a drama queen, or trying to manipulate me in some way. In fact, I find these ideas ridiculous. I listen to my dogs: if I don't and they bite me (which they never have), then that's entirely my fault.

Nail clipping should never involve pain, fear or crying - if it does, something is wrong and you need to address that.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

On the issue of discomfort, I finally learned that one should apply the clippers to the top and bottom of the nail. If it's applied to the sides of the nail, squeezing of the nail results, and that can hurt. So having the blades at 12:00 and 6:00 should involve less discomfort than having them at 9:00 and 3:00, if that makes sense.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

She didn't snap at me, just gave me the sad doe-eyes which may actually be worse lol. But yea I'm with you, she has to realize who's boss and it ain't going to be her. One thing I may do is leave her harness on after her walk while I'm getting ready for work so I have something to grab if she decides to be stubborn (my wife's idea).

Is there any special reason you are crating her since she obviously doesn't like it? There's no law that says you have to. If she's housebroken, maybe she's just done with the crate?

The reason she is crated is because we've only had her for about a month and we have 3 cats. A little early to trust her with the cats.

She doesn't mind the crate so much as she doesn't want to be left alone. We tried leaving her in a bedroom but she knocked the gate over and put a big scratch on the hardwood floors. No, she needs to stay in the crate for now.

Brooks%20Leatherworks%20Greytalk_zpsqf7j

I won't add anything because you have had very good advice. I just wanted to say that of course it is frightening when your new big dog bites and that your wife's feelings are normal. Also very normal that your feelings are hurt. Mine were. But do use it as a learning experience. Many many of us have experienced this when as newbies we made a mistake with our dogs. Dogs that went on to be the loves of our lives and that we would trust completely.

Ditto. Shortly after our first foster came to stay with us, I tried to take a chewy out of his mouth. Not too smart on my part, yeah, I know. He bit my finger. Hard. Hit the bone and it hurt like heck. I remember how angry I was - at myself for being a big dumbbell. Anyway, more than two years later, that same dog is a permanent member of our family and I couldn't imagine our lives without him in it! (BTW, on the few occassions I have had to take items out of his mouth since then, and he has graciously obliged without issue.)

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

Guest Harefoot

All,

Thank you for the wonderful advice! Just got a chance to sit down and read all the replies to my post...we have had Ajax for 11 months to the day. Truth be told, we have had to learn the painful lesson of not disturbing him while he is sleeping (my son found this out the hard way...). My wife is fine and Ajax is sleeping in his bed next to us right now...we have no intent of giving up on him. I think in the future we will either put the muzzle on him or take him to the vet for nail clipping...in either case, we will make sure that we do not do it in his bed.

He is a good hound and we have been happy with him (except for all the people food he steals!)

I'd really be curious to know if Ajax actually bit your wife or just snapped at her. You said he bit her on the face? Biting and snapping are worlds apart. My wife got snapped at for trying to move our dog while she was sleeping. My friends dog bit him and he needed stitches. I think there's a big difference and after all day watching this thread unfold I'd be really curious to know how far this went.

Glad to hear that your wife is fine.

And thank you for posting and listening to our input ... I'm sure that many of us learned through your experience. I, for example, didn't think about WHERE I was trimming nails before your post (but of COURSE my hounds would prefer to keep their sleeping areas safe from the evil clippers!).

I do want to add that folks assuming he was in pain need to remember that if you cut a dog's nails too short, THEY BLEED.

Just want to point out that if you get close to the quick, there's a point at which it hurts but doesn't bleed yet. If you look at the cut surface of the nail, you will see a black 'core' that indicates you're getting close to the quick. I find that some sensitive dogs react when you get to this area, before you get to the point of drawing blood.

With my more sensitive girl, I give her a tiny treat after each nail. I find that this makes her more forgiving if I accidentally get a little too close. She gives a little yip, I give her the treat, and she settles back down to let me continue with the next nail.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest gomiesmom

I have gotten out of the habit of posting, but have been in your shoes!!

Almost 2 years ago now, almost the same thing happened to me, with my wonderful, mild mannered male, Gomer. I was traumatized, to say the least, but after careful consideration, analyzing the incident and advice from my group director, I truly feel it was my fault. ( not that she suggested it was)

I had not even begun trimming Gomer's nails or brushing teeth, when he just sort of "snapped". I must've had intuition, though, since I turned my head. He did not get me in the face, but in the back of the head, requiring stitches. This is a hound, whose mouth I swab out and brush teeth nightly, AND scale w/ a pick when needed, so he was used to having me, literally in his face ( for almost 2 yrs , at that point). Thinking back, I am unsure if I moved his leg in a weird position or what, since again, I hadn't even started trimming, just sat down, and maybe slightly moved his leg to get into position.

Anyway, my thought process was if I brush teeth and trim nails on their beds, they are more comfortable.... Aparently not.

Long story short, I still do teeth nightly ( can't muzzle 'em for that), and trim nails as needed ( muzzle now required), but per the group directors suggestion, we now have a specific place ( on a rug in the great room) to do these types of things. Certainly, they are not as comfortable, but they know it's time to do something or have something done.

I agree, being bitten is a traumatic event, especially if you haven't had the hound or any hound for a while, but please don't do anything rash. My husband, who saw it, was at first so upset he was ready to send Gomer back. That was NEVER an option for me, the one bitten, needless to say. As traumatic as it was for me, to witness it was also very traumatic. We discussed, and he came around to my way of thinking.

You do not have a "vicious dog", you just have one w/ self preservation instincts, as they should have. ( in my humble opinion)

Gomer is my HEART DOG, and I have forgiven him, realizing that I was at fault and really, although trying to make him as confortable as possible, should not have "invaded his safe space".

I hope this helps you. You can still have a GREYT relationship w/ your hound...... I do.

-Lynn B. ( Gomer & Lilly's mommy)

Forest, VA

I dremel the dogs' nails myself- only sometimes if I'm too busy, or it's convenient, I get a groomer or vet to do them.

I have to agree with many of the posters- there were a lot of warning signs there before the bite but unfortunately, you just weren't aware at the time. You were just trying to do something necessary in the care of your greyhound. If anything, I would say don't take the bite personally just learn from it- and maybe until some confidence is restored, consider having it professionally done.

Usually I start with the weiner dogs first when I do dremel b/c they are squirmy and by the time I've finished, Cookie comes over to investigate and wait for her turn. I put the muzzle on- I feel much better doing that. She doesn't seem to care, either. She'll usually lay down willingly and I'll start her front. She usually pulls her feet away a few times and I try to adjust my positioning so it's comfortable. If I have her legs stretched out too far or in an odd position, she'll pull away if I don't adjust.

I don't dremel on her bed, any furniture, or our beds- it's on the floor in the living room, which is pretty much public territory. I've tried dremeling standing up, but she doesn't seem to like it.

If she starts pulling away too much or getting too antsy, I stop. I'm usually almost done anyways, but I figure I don't want to push her anymore beyond that and ruin it for next time's experience.

Good luck with everything. Hopefully this experience hasn't completely eroded your confidence and I would definitely try and follow some of the suggestions. Maybe at some point, work up to nail clipping again with baby steps. There are a ton of good suggestions and encouragement here.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/TgrrValily/CookieMac2009pt2/siggyyayayayayay.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Buddy James, Cookie Dough, Shelby, and Mac. My angels :angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

New dog mom to dachshunds Ginger and Ruger :banana:banana

I understand what you are all saying about not invading their space in their beds. But I trim the dogs' nails with an electric Dremel while they are resting on one of the day beds in the family room. Though it hasn't always been this way, my guys are so relaxed that they both sleep through the nail-trimming process!

To get to this no-big-deal-stage, I followed an effective conditioning technique I watched online - the video was by PediPaws (if interested, go to YouTube, search PediPaws Instructional Video). In less than a week, each dog went from being a total drama king about anything touching their nails, to acting like a cruise ship tourist in the day spa on a much-needed vacation.

When I decided to try to do their nails myself, several years ago, and being a sissy about potentially ciutting the qwick with nail clippers, I bought the PediPaw. A nice beginner's tool (again, the online video was terrific), but I quickly realized it wasn't powerful enough to stand up to the tough nails at the end of eight Greyhound paws. I upgraded to a rechargeable Dremel knock-off that died within a year. Hubby bought a corded Dremel for me, which works fine, though it tethers me to an electrical outlet. If I were to buy another one, it would be the rechargeable Dremel.

Reading these posts will certainly make me on-guard if I ever trim any other dog's nails, for sure. Thanks for the info, and I am glad everyone is going to be okay.

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

Hope OP and spouse and dog are all doing well today and have regained any lost psychological equilibrium?

Really depends on the dog as to what you can do when. I have one here now that does not like to be examined, worked on, etc. while he is lying down. He hasn't bitten or snapped, altho I think I have gotten a growl or two out of him. But, he gets that "I.Do.Not.Like.This.At.All" look on his face. He feels trapped, and that can quickly lead to undesirable actions.

So if I *must* examine / treat / clip while he's lying down, I either slip his muzzle on or get someone else to rub his ears and nose (thereby controlling the sharp end) during the procedure. He's fine being examined / treated / clipped while up on his feet.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm sorry this happened, and pretty much everything has been said already. I do want to add that folks assuming he was in pain need to remember that if you cut a dog's nails too short, THEY BLEED. I assume the OP would have mentioned blood.

Sounds like he's a bit of a drama queen, and the simply answer is that until he knows and trusts you more, get someone else to do his nails.

I hope your wife is OK and that she gives him another chance!

Mike 516, I have a cat and don't trust my boyz when I'm not home....so they are muzzled with basket muzzles (no poop guard so if they have to vomit, or anything, there isn't an isue - and then can drink comfortably). There are baby gates that let the cat get upstairs, and they have run of the rest of the house.....Just a thought...Of course, one of them looks at me with pathetic eyes when I put it on him....but I figure it's better than a crate! :lol

As far as OP, I'm glad all turned out OK. My boy JJ has a low (if any) tolerance to pain. He screams when his nails are done - and the person who does is the wife of a greyhound kennel care manager - and he comes out to help. Even with their experience, we muzzle him, because that yelling is a warning.

Good luck!

My

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Hello from another Ajax! :rivethead

The only other thing I would add to what has already been said is to maybe slow down to rebuild Ajax's (and your wife's!) confidence and trust. You don't HAVE to do every nail at the same time. Do one nail a day for two weeks, next month do two nails at a time, etc. And any time your dog seems uncomfortable - respect that and slow down or stop for the day.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Not to go off subject too much but it was mentioned several times in this thread, on the subject of not touching them while they're in their bed; so say your dog goes into her bed and won't get up when you're leaving for work because she knows she's going in her crate and doesn't want to, what do you do? When I say won't get up, I mean will not get up on her own even for her favorite treat or for anything.

I had to leave this morning and had to physically put her on her feet because she went limp like a wet noodle. It was hilarious on the one hand because it didn't get past me that she's devious and trying to figure out how to test me and get over, but not so much at the same time because I didn't want to encroach on her space and she tucked her tail and of course looked sad as hell, but she can't stay where she was with no one home.

So, if I shouldn't have dragged her out of bed, then what could I have done?

I'm not saying nail trimming should be done in their bed, and this case certainly sounds like user error.

That said, I hope everything works out for you and I hope your wife is ok.

Is this the only issue you've had with your doggie or have there been other issues?

:lol Nicer people will say to go get the leash and put in on her to lead her off. I would most likely just pick the dog bed up and flop her onto the hard floor. :blush I don't manipulate that easily. Although none of my dogs have bed issues. If I had one with bed issues and they did not listen maybe body block them off while keeping hands crossed in front of you? Or perhaps a squirt bottle?

JAJ2010 -- Don't think I am nicer, but I have become a bit... um, wiser I guess. Because I've got a dog here who if totally fine having his nails done while he is laying on his bed. Heck, he'll sleep through it. However, if you try to pull a bed out from under him he will growl at you. It is the only time you will ever hear him growl. When I told our trainer what I did she asked why. I said, well I had intended to train him "Up" anyway but I just didn't do it soon enough and... "And you were being lazy?" Well, yeah. I had to admit I was. :lol

Mike516 -- People laugh when I tell them this but the very first command I had to teach this boy was "Up". He is the only dog I know who would lay down on a bed & refuse to get up. His was pure, unadulterated laziness so a bit different than your case. Still, train her at other times to get up on command & reward her well for it. Practice crating at other times as well & reward that highly. Then practice sending her to her crate from farther & farther away. When she does the commands separately practice the routine. You should end up with a dog who is reliably getting up off her bed & running to her crate.

I have a new Grey who I still crate when I leave for the same reason you crate. Just muzzling isn't good enough to spare a cat should things turn unpleasant. I watched a Grey chase down & corner a cat then use her muzzle as a battering ram. Grey was snatched away by collar & cat was OK but would have been very dead had someone not been there. I do not believe our newbie would do that but am not taking any chances this soon. If you think you still need to crate then keep crating.

To make going to her crate a good thing I crate her for meals. Crate for short periods of time, 2-10 minutes, for treats. And then when I head to work I crate her with a stuffed Kong or another treat that she loves & will last at least long enough for me to get out the door, in the car & down the driveway. She knows the routine & knows I will be leaving but we've made the crate rewarding enough that she's willing to go in without balking.

Just remember what I told JAJ. Even the nicest dog doesn't like to have the bed pulled out from under them & may take exception to evil humans who do such things. ;)

Just a suggestion, my Plummer has issues with his nails, I find that soaking them first which makes them soft, makes it easier to dremel. Because of his toe issues, I dremel until I can see that he has had enough. He is now use to the routine and tomorrow is another day. Good luck.

Edited to say; I will dremel after he has eaten, walked and ready for his lazy rest.

Timing helps.

Edited by msjpk

Not to go off subject too much but it was mentioned several times in this thread, on the subject of not touching them while they're in their bed; so say your dog goes into her bed and won't get up when you're leaving for work because she knows she's going in her crate and doesn't want to, what do you do? When I say won't get up, I mean will not get up on her own even for her favorite treat or for anything.

I had to leave this morning and had to physically put her on her feet because she went limp like a wet noodle. It was hilarious on the one hand because it didn't get past me that she's devious and trying to figure out how to test me and get over, but not so much at the same time because I didn't want to encroach on her space and she tucked her tail and of course looked sad as hell, but she can't stay where she was with no one home.

So, if I shouldn't have dragged her out of bed, then what could I have done?

I'm not saying nail trimming should be done in their bed, and this case certainly sounds like user error.

That said, I hope everything works out for you and I hope your wife is ok.

Is this the only issue you've had with your doggie or have there been other issues?

:lol Nicer people will say to go get the leash and put in on her to lead her off. I would most likely just pick the dog bed up and flop her onto the hard floor. :blush I don't manipulate that easily. Although none of my dogs have bed issues. If I had one with bed issues and they did not listen maybe body block them off while keeping hands crossed in front of you? Or perhaps a squirt bottle?

JAJ2010 -- Don't think I am nicer, but I have become a bit... um, wiser I guess. Because I've got a dog here who if totally fine having his nails done while he is laying on his bed. Heck, he'll sleep through it. However, if you try to pull a bed out from under him he will growl at you. It is the only time you will ever hear him growl. When I told our trainer what I did she asked why. I said, well I had intended to train him "Up" anyway but I just didn't do it soon enough and... "And you were being lazy?" Well, yeah. I had to admit I was. :lol

Mike516 -- People laugh when I tell them this but the very first command I had to teach this boy was "Up". He is the only dog I know who would lay down on a bed & refuse to get up. His was pure, unadulterated laziness so a bit different than your case. Still, train her at other times to get up on command & reward her well for it. Practice crating at other times as well & reward that highly. Then practice sending her to her crate from farther & farther away. When she does the commands separately practice the routine. You should end up with a dog who is reliably getting up off her bed & running to her crate.

I have a new Grey who I still crate when I leave for the same reason you crate. Just muzzling isn't good enough to spare a cat should things turn unpleasant. I watched a Grey chase down & corner a cat then use her muzzle as a battering ram. Grey was snatched away by collar & cat was OK but would have been very dead had someone not been there. I do not believe our newbie would do that but am not taking any chances this soon. If you think you still need to crate then keep crating.

To make going to her crate a good thing I crate her for meals. Crate for short periods of time, 2-10 minutes, for treats. And then when I head to work I crate her with a stuffed Kong or another treat that she loves & will last at least long enough for me to get out the door, in the car & down the driveway. She knows the routine & knows I will be leaving but we've made the crate rewarding enough that she's willing to go in without balking.

Just remember what I told JAJ. Even the nicest dog doesn't like to have the bed pulled out from under them & may take exception to evil humans who do such things. ;)

I'm with ya there. I couldn't dump her out of bed lol. I'm probably going to leave her harness on after her morning walk so I can control her. If she is asleep I'll certainly wake her up before doing anything with her. Leaving her muzzled all day isn't the answer imo. I do not believe it is the crate that's making her unhappy, it is being left alone. She hangs out in her crate with the door open very often when we are home. She just doesn't want to be alone and would go nuts wherever we left her in the house and the last thing I want is for her to hurt herself. The crate is not planned to be a permanent living condition for Ginger, it is merely a temporary necessity to keep everyone safe. When she's ready, she'll get more freedom. Right now I don't believe she's ready and don't really think she'll necessarily be any happier unless we were home with her 24/7.

Guest betheab199

All,

Thank you for the wonderful advice! Just got a chance to sit down and read all the replies to my post...we have had Ajax for 11 months to the day. Truth be told, we have had to learn the painful lesson of not disturbing him while he is sleeping (my son found this out the hard way...). My wife is fine and Ajax is sleeping in his bed next to us right now...we have no intent of giving up on him. I think in the future we will either put the muzzle on him or take him to the vet for nail clipping...in either case, we will make sure that we do not do it in his bed.

He is a good hound and we have been happy with him (except for all the people food he steals!)

If it makes you feel any better, I am a pretty experienced greyhound owner - (2 hounds, 7 years, many fosters) and I never thought about not trimming nails while they were on their bed. I do it all the time. And I have never muzzled either. Guess I should consider myself very lucky that I have never been nipped! I learned something new from your experience. While I may not muzzle my current pup, I will honor her safe spot.