Prospective Parent

Guest cptkaos

Guest cptkaos

Hi,

My wife and I love dogs (GSDs and labs for the longest time back home) and circumstances have not allowed us the opportunity to adopt one. We are seriously looking to adopt a greyhound but would like some of your thoughts before we make this important decision.

Both of us work (I get to work from home a couple of days) and are out of the house for 10 hours. We have been hesitant adopting because of this particular issue but with our daughter turning 5 soon we are seriously re-considering (btw have I mentioned that both of us love dogs :)).

We are looking to meet with the folks over at Greyhound Rescue and Rehab over at their meet this coming weekend. Assuming the folks at GRR feel we make good parents, should we still proceed down this path given that we will be out for a large portion of the day?

Really appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks

cptkaos

You'll want to make sure you get matched with a dog that will be okay being left alone for long days. I am usually gone for 9-12 hours. The days when I'm gone 12 hours though my BF is home a few hours before me. He doesn't really do much with the dog, but at least someone is home. He's quite happy to sleep by himself for 9 hours until I get home. I leave lots of kongs and treat dispensing toys, stuffies, etc out for him to entertain himself. When I get home though the kong isn't always empty and usually the treat toys aren't empty either. He really just sleeps all day. I make sure to take him for 2 good walks a day, with a third quicker pee walk. I also make it up to him on weekends. We rarely do anything on weekends or holidays that can't include the dog.

Of course some dogs can't be left alone for that long. They just don't deal well with it or have separation anxiety. Others, like Summit, do just fine. So long as you're willing to put a lot of your spare time towards the dog it'll be fine. That's my opinion as a working professional. I know people who think you shouldn't have a dog unless you can spend every waking moment with it. You have to decide what you're comfortable with, and make sure you get a dog that will suit your lifestyle.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest 4greys4me

I am gone for about 9 - 9 1/2 hours during the day and I just have someone come over in the middle of the day to let my pack outside to pee. I do have 4 hounds, so they have each other for company.

I am typically gone 7-8 hours a day and my dogs are fine with that. I used to be gone closer to 9 and my female was fine with it. Zuri, and now my foster, who both have had some SA issues, aren't big fans of the >8 hour days. I personally think 10 is the MAX that a dog should be left alone without a potty break, but less is preferable, and you need to be prepared to do a good bit of walking, play, training to make up for those longer days.

Would you consider a dog walker for a mid-day walk? If so, I think you'd be fine. I would recommend working with the group that fosters so you can find a dog suitable for longer work days and who is less concerned about space sharing and the like since you have a pretty young child. It helps to be open to all sizes, sex, and colors so you can focus on finding a greyhound that's appropriate for your lifestyle.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest cptkaos

Thank you all so much for the quick replies. This is a great forum to be a member of.

We are working on arranging for someone to help out during lunch time so it does not get too long between breaks.

Both my wife and I have no preference for age/sex/size. We just love dogs :).

Thanks again.

IMO 10 hrs is a long time to leave a dog, but I know plenty here have done it. They do adapt to your schedule. We usually leave Opie for between 6-8 max, although we have left him for up to almost 11 in an emergency, but I don't like to do it. If you have an adoption group that can work with you on your needs, you can find the dog for you. They will also take into consideration a young child, as you have to be quite vigilant with them around the dog, but again there are plenty here who live with babies and do just fine. Just be honest with the group on your situation, so there are no surprises later. Greyhounds do make wonderful pets, and many (such as ours, he is an only) do fine by themselves.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Guest cptkaos

Hopefully I am not derailing this thread but when you are looking at 8+ hours would you all suggest that crate training is a must in this situation - atleast till he or she is house broken?

Thanks

Your 'new' hound will probably be already 'crate trained'...as they live in crates at the track and are used to being on a strict feeding/potty schedule.

My dogs are fine for 8 hours or so if necessary...but we have always had multiple dogs, so they are never alone.

Do keep in mind that a newly homed hound has never been alone ever in his entire life and may not do well on his own for an entire day.

Our Ruby had a home for a day or so when she came off the track. That adopter left her alone in her crate and went off to work the next day... and came home to a busted up crate and destruction.

On the other hand, Nixon has never had any alone issues at all, and I'm very sure that he could be left all on his own and just sleep the day away.

I'm sure your group will advise you and help you choose a hound...perhpas one that has been fostered so they know it does not have SA.

Patricia McConnell has an excellent booklet..."I'll be Home Soon"...which all Greyhound adopters should read!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

We have 2 GRR dogs (who happen to have their birthday today - 7 years old!!) and I'd suggest, as above, some way to break up the day for a hound who will be alone 10 hours per day. That said, we hound sat recently for a 13 year old and he is left for 10 hours without issue. Mind you, activity level is certainly different at that age. You'd want to combat boredom (as well as provide a bathroom break) for a new pup.

Good luck!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

I just wanted to mention that age 5 for your girl is a tough age to bring a dog into the house. At that age, the greyhound (or any dog) is likely to be eye level or higher than your little girl. I think that might be a complication for some agencies and at a minimum, they will probably want you to make sure they your child and the dog are never left to interact alone without adult supervision. Children that age can also play tough and pull tails, ears and so on ...

Guest cptkaos

Thanks again for all the feedback. Please keep them coming - I am learning a lot. I have the McConnell book on Amazon order.

I did not realize that my 5 year old could be a potential issue in adopting a hound. This is good to know.

Thanks again.

I just wanted to mention that age 5 for your girl is a tough age to bring a dog into the house. At that age, the greyhound (or any dog) is likely to be eye level or higher than your little girl. I think that might be a complication for some agencies and at a minimum, they will probably want you to make sure they your child and the dog are never left to interact alone without adult supervision. Children that age can also play tough and pull tails, ears and so on ...

Good point to be sensitive to this, for sure.

OP - you know your child and their level of 'listening' and 'self control' and if they can behave appropriately around a greyhound. These dogs are not labs and generally don't enjoy kids falling on them, leaning over, bugging while asleep, etc etc --> all the basic examples of things that CAN happen with younger childrent. Don't get discouraged, though - my girls were both young when we got our hounds and they have all be phenomenal together. Our hounds are likely in the minority, but they occasionally sleep, of their own choosing, with our daughters at the foot of their beds. Most GH owners would cringe and some parents certainly wouldn't allow it, under any circumstances, but it works in our house as well as our camping trailer. The four of them (kids/dogs) all respect each other. Practice prudence, caution, maturity, get the right hound for your household and enjoy the experience....it is like no other!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Thank you Mary Jane!

I was going to say if you have a notion in your mind that your child and a Greyhound will spend hours playing in the yard, you MIGHT be better off sticking with Labs.

I grew up with dogs. My parents had a dog before they had kids. We have always had at least one dog. All but one were English Setters, probably the most laid back and sweet dogs ever. I was totally blown away by how very different my Greyhound is. He enjoys eating, sleeping, eating, sleeping some more, napping, eating, and walking.

I think most parents visualize an interactive pet. SOME Greyhounds are very playful. Some greyhounds could works as storefront mannequins! Many are sweet and gentle with children, but many just don't care to play. My dog does not play with toys, and if he tries to engage me in play outside, he is WAY too rough and would scare a child. Please be honest with yourself and your spouse about what you're hoping for getting a dog when your child is still quite young.

If you go forward with it, make sure your adoption group of choice understands you have a very young child in the home. You will need a dog with no signs of space or sleep aggression.

I do adore my greyhound; he's perfect for me at my stage of life.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest cptkaos

All great points especially as it relates to my 5 year old. In my application to GRR I did mention that I have a 5 year old. Hopefully we can find a good match (keeping fingers crossed).

We are hesitant to get labs since we are worried they will not stay alone at home > 8 hours.

All great points especially as it relates to my 5 year old. In my application to GRR I did mention that I have a 5 year old. Hopefully we can find a good match (keeping fingers crossed).

We are hesitant to get labs since we are worried they will not stay alone at home > 8 hours.

I have grandchildren age 5 and 3. They both know to never, ever go near any dog if they are laying down.

The 5 year girl old especially loves all dogs and my two Greyhounds are very tolerant of her.... but being led around the house with a leash on is as far as the 'playing' goes.

They just do not play.

If things get too noisy or rambunctious, both hounds quickly retreat upstairs to their beds to keep out of the way.

On the other hand, Bandit our 12 yr old PointerX loves to play...she'll chase, fetch, tug and allow them to dress her up.

Our Bridge GSDx was also fabulous with all kids.

We've had multiple dogs of varying breeds for many years and they have all been able to stay home alone for an entire day with no problems.

Why would a Lab have issues staying alone all day?

Greyhounds suffer from SA more often than other 'normal' dogs, as they have never, ever been alone in their life.

I'm not trying to turn you off Greyhounds...they are the best kept secret in the dog world!

But you should examine what it is your family is really looking for in a dog.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I also have a houseful of grandchildren ages 5, 3, 9 mos. and 6 mos. at times and Ruby loves them all. She completely ignores them when they are playing or eating and the older 2 have been taught not to touch her while she is asleep. My 3 year old grandson though adores her and will lay on her bed with her and watch movies together. Her tail is wagging and he knows not to roll on her. When he takes a nap she will go lay down beside his toddler bed and sleep while he does. They have quite the bond. We specifically asked for a grey that would be safe around small children and we got the perfect one. We do watch the situation closely though because we don't want to risk anything. Good luck finding your new best friend.

Karen

I wouldn't worry too much about the five year old. Teach her to respect your dog's space and don't leave them unattended, and everything should be fine, especially if you end up with a hound like my Treasure :)

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

To be honest we are breed agnostic. We love dogs. My main attraction to Greys was that by adopting one I was saving a life.

There are tonnes of dogs of all breeds and mixes at shelters all over that are very much in need of saving. Many of them are on death row. And many of them would make a better kid dog than a greyhound.

It depends on what your kid wants to do with a dog. Summit loves children and lots attention and being petted. He'll chase me around the yard. And I taught him to fetch. But these are behaviours that were either taught or have developed over the year that we have had him. And he certainly has no interest in wrestling or playing tug. I think I would have loved a greyhound when I was a kid, but I wasn't as rough a player as a lot of kids are (unless it was sports, then none of the girls would play with me because I was too aggressive).

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest HHHounds

My daughter was 5 when we started adopting hounds and there were no issues - she has been greyt with all them and they are greyt with her! Best of luck to you!

Guest cptkaos

Thanks all. Very valid and constructive points. We will visit GRR over the weekend and see what they say. We are going to be completely transparent with them and see if they are able to help us with this. Keeping fingers crossed.

Guest mirinaaronsmom

My two hounds just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE kids. Granted I don't have any, so they're not around children 24/7, but whenever we meet them on our walks or in our therapy dog work, they are so happy to meet them. They just came that way, so there certainly are kid-loving hounds out there. Mojo especially likes kids around 5 and under since they are just the right height for kisses. We even had one experience recently where a 4-year old was playing and fell on Miri and she jumped up and snarled at the little girl, but did nothing else. Now, I would NEVER recommend this, but I share this just to show how special some of these houndies are. I wish you the best in your search for the perfect pup.

Really, don't worry about your five year old. The adoption group will take your entire family into consideration and will find you the perfect hound. I've had three, and all of them have loved children. Everything will be great :)

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.