Tail Caught And Is Bleeding

I accidently didn't get lExie all the way out the door and her tail got caught. It looks like a small piece got caught along with hair. both sides of the tail were bleeding. I stopped the one side but the other is still bleeding. I washed and wrapped with gauze and vet wrap. I feel so bad. I will be gone about 4 hours cause today is the high holiday. Did i break her tail?? I feel so bad :( Is there anythign else i should do? :(

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Just make sure the wrap isn't too tight and see how it is when you get home. Oh, and give pretty girl a cookie.

Happens to most all of us at one time or the next -- don't beat yourself up.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Len did the same to Idol in the spring. And, I know her tail was broken. We kept it bandaged and I sprayed EMT on it to seal the wound. It took about three weeks.

Don't worry; it was just an accident. Stuff happens.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Here is a link about bandaging "Happy Tail"

http://www.grassmere-animal-hospital.com/happy_tail_bandaging.htm

(For any confused newbie readers: Happy tail is a common term for a Greyhound's happy tail wagging and hitting hard surfaces, or unfortunately, getting caught in a door.)

I've heard of a light weight cardboard tampon holder being used to help protect the very tip of a Greyhound's tail, but that adds more weight so I don't know how well it stays on. Grassmere encourages feather light bandage material. Houndtime's suggestion of EMT spray sounds good.

I hope you were able to stop the bleeding for good. A friend had trouble with her hound's tail not healing after being closed in a car door. Vet visits were definitely required in their particular case.

Good luck for Lexie's rapid healing.

Update please..... how's our girl this morning?

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest PiagetsMom

I know you feel bad, but that would be a really easy thing to do - I try to think about it everytime we go out the front door for a walk because I often have to push Mirage past the door so I can shut it. Glad Lexie is doing better! :)

Oh poor Lexie! It happened to us once too, DH accidentally closed the car window on Merlin's tail years ago. In our case, we had to go to the emergency vet and he got all stitched up. Don't feel too bad! :bighug Hope Lexie feels better soon! :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Ouch. Hope Lexie is okay but just fyi -- my (angel) Indy's tail also got caught in the door about 4" from the tip (my fault, of course). Lots of blood but not broken. Unfortunately, the door crushed the few vessels in the tip of the tail, and despite the vet's best efforts to save Indy's tail, the tissue became necrotic and the vet had to amputate half of Indy's tail.

Not sure how hard the door closed on Lexie's tail but keep an eye on the color. I would also recommend a trip to the vet. Antibiotics made be in order as well.

For Lexie :dogcookie

Edited by IndyandHollyluv

Ouch. Hope Lexie is okay but just fyi -- my (angel) Indy's tail also got caught in the door about 4" from the tip (my fault, of course). Lots of blood but not broken. Unfortunately, the door crushed the few vessels in the tip of the tail, and despite the vet's best efforts to save Indy's tail, the tissue became necrotic and the vet had to amputate half of Indy's tail.

Not sure how hard the door closed on Lexie's tail but keep an eye on the color. I would also recommend a trip to the vet. Antibiotics made be in order as well.

For Lexie :dogcookie

What color should i watch for? It is just light brown. Now u have me worried :huh

That happened to my angel, Buddy...only his tail was partly skinned. :( We had it xrayed (no breaks) and bandaged, and then we changed the dressings daily, since they were sticking something fierce! He came through it like a trooper and was no worse for it. He even had his own R.N.--my sister came to help me with the dressings, and she's a nurse. :)

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

What color should i watch for? It is just light brown. Now u have me worried :huh

You'd want to watch for the skin turning dark reddish / purple / blackish -- sort of a "beyond bruised" color.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

My little Echo had a similar injury. The door at the vet caught her tail. It bled and bled and I was a basket case because I was manning the door. Since we were right there, they looked at it. It was not broken but it still has a slight curve to the side. It happens to a lot of us.

I looked at it again and i cant tell if it is just a bad scrape but it looks black. I am going to call the vet tomorrow and try and get in this week. Better to be safe. I hope she doesn't need it amputated I would feel horrible!!! :(

Just after the injury it will likely look dark from bruising. But, you're there and we're here, and best for vet to have a look. Don't fret over it, tho -- they have long tails that sometimes lag or stray, KWIM? Hugs to both of you.

That just looks scabby/blood blistery to me. (As opposed to whole segment of tail looking weird and blackened.)

Her tail doesn't look too bad. That's "just" a bruise. (I know, there's no such thing as "just" when you're feeling guilty.)

Watch for any signs of discoloration beyond that bruise, toward the tip of her tail. That would be a sign that the blood flow was impaired and would need an urgent vet visit.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)