Heartworm Medicine

The heartworm meds (Interceptor)for my 2 hounds costs $200/year. I was looking online and see that I can order there cheaper. Is it safe to order it online? Seems like I remember hearing a number of years ago that online pet meds weren't safe. I don't want to do anything to harm my dogs but I'd sure like to get this med cheaper. Thanks! Kim, Silver and Holly

<p>Kim and the hound - Rumor
Missing my angels Marlow, Silver, Holly and Lucky

Guest eaglflyt

We get Interceptor Spectrum (spectrum rids the dog of any possible tapeworms as well) from Http://www.JoesPetmeds.com and our dogs have always done great, had negative fecals and have always been heartworm negative. I trust their products. I also purchase their generic broad spectrum dewormer. These meds are from Australia but manufactured by the same parent company. No prescription is necessary but BE CERTAIN your dog is heartworm negative before starting the Interceptor. The meds usually arrive in about a week.

Guest eaglflyt

I have used this source for Interceptor and generic dewormer for three years. I believe these products to be excellent quality. I know there are some online sources that sell counterfeits, but there are some that are reputable.

Our dogs also see our vet more than regularly. If you check some of my posts, you will see that we are extremely careful and proactive in the care of our animals.

Purchasing heartworm preventative or dewormer from a trusted and proven online source does not have to mean putting your dog at risk or in danger. Do research and have fecals and regular heartworm testing to make sure the meds that you get from ANY source are effective.

I also use joespetmeds...waiting for an order to arrive next week. I know many people who use them, and have never heard a horror story,

I also buy meeds for me, my horses, sheep, and goats online. We are all very much alive.

When my old horse had heaves( horse version of COPD) my vet wanted $300 dollars for the small bottle of his medicine. He would have needed three of those bottles each month. I used to buy the large bottle online from kvvet. It was less than $200 and lasted all month.

I see no problem buying meeds online.

Some online web sites like fosters and smiths carry a higher reputation than some other online companies that are nothing more than a trailer body sitting in the middle of a hayfield--where they are getting their wholesale products from should be the question you need to ask yourself. Have the products been shipped here from overseas??-climate controlled, quality controlled-- are questions I would want answered.

Just because your dog hasn't tested positive from heartworm disease does not prove to me that the medication bought on line is protecting your pet- just means that your dog hasn't been exposed.

Puzzling to me that when one reads that they read that problems have arised after purchasing online meds that people are still willing to chance it just because nothing happened to their pet. I'm telling you I personally know of some really sad cases involving medications bought from online retailers. Defend your favorite website all you want but, I know a few families that will forever regret their decision in doing so.

What's even more puzzling is-- I wonder how many of folks that claim they will buy meds online refuse to buy dog treats that originated from China? How is buying meds shipped from god knows where without any type of control any different?

I'll get off my soapbox now, too each his own.

To the OP-- I figured out your daily spending on heartworm meds from your vet =0.54 cents/day. Less than a cup of coffee (a lot less!)

Edited by tbhounds

Guest eaglflyt

The fact that every fecal has been negative for years does mean something. We live in a rural area with a high population of wildlife constantly moving through. I am certain none of our dogs would have negative fecals if the Interceptor was ineffective. We also have constant fosters, several have been straight from shelters. So, if ever there was ample opportunity for intestinal parasite exposure, it is here. However, all fecals have remained negative with Interceptor monthly from this online source.

I do know there are some unreliable or shady vendors online. However, I would not paint them all with the same brush.

It's a personal choice that each owner makes based on their research and comfort.

I buy HW from PetsMegaStore and have for years with no problems.

If my dogs develop heartworms from using it, I am the one who lives with the decisions and/or guilt.

Do the research, make a choice and live with it. No one should try to guilt or bully someone into any kind of medical treatment or decisions.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

It's a personal choice that each owner makes based on their research and comfort.

I buy HW from PetsMegaStore and have for years with no problems.

If my dogs develop heartworms from using it, I am the one who lives with the decisions and/or guilt.

Do the research, make a choice and live with it. No one should try to guilt or bully someone into any kind of medical treatment or decisions.

Well said--buyer beware

Guest Swifthounds

The fact that every fecal has been negative for years does mean something. We live in a rural area with a high population of wildlife constantly moving through. I am certain none of our dogs would have negative fecals if the Interceptor was ineffective. We also have constant fosters, several have been straight from shelters. So, if ever there was ample opportunity for intestinal parasite exposure, it is here. However, all fecals have remained negative with Interceptor monthly from this online source.

Not exactly. Dogs everywhere come in contact with intestinal parasites every place they walk and carry a parasite load around with them. If an adult dog is healthy, its body is able to keep parasites in check and prevent infestation. Monthly doses of small "control" wormer don't control infestations - the body already does that. They do, however create resistance to the wormer in the parasite population. It's just that people can't tell the difference.

For that matter, the chances of a healthy dog testing positive for heartworm even in the more prone areas is still very small. We dose monthly "just in case."

I do know there are some unreliable or shady vendors online. However, I would not paint them all with the same brush.

As much as people like to pretend the vet is "safer" than an online place, the vet has no better idea how products he sells were wholesaled,transported, and handled previously.

I've been buying from Omaha Vaccine for years--but they're an actual real certified pharmacy (pet pharmacy?) and they will not sell you heartworm meds without a prescription that they received either directly from your vet's fax, or a hard copy in the mail. My vet has no issue with it. With items my vet is willing to price match, I do buy them from the clinic, but George is on daily Deramaxx. I spend almost $300 on a bottle of 90 pills (lasts 180 days). The same amount from my vet would probably cost me 3x as much because they don't price match on that.

Same bottles the vet buys--stamped, patient inserts, etc.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I just use ivermectin from the feed store

Also my hounds are blood donors so get more exams during the year than normal.

The bottle cost about $40 bucks and will last a few years.

Edited by Wonder

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

I just use ivermectin from the feed store

Also my hounds are blood donors so get more exams during the year than normal.

The bottle cost about $40 bucks and will last a few years.

Similarly, we use Ivermectin Powder, $25 will last our 3 dogs several years, we'll probably toss and replace the left over every year, or every other.

http://www.amazon.com/Ivermectin-Powder-12-oz/dp/B0030MXBXI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316558254&sr=8-1

Just sprinkle the dose over their food once a month and you are done. It is the same active ingredient in Heart Guard.

large.greyhound_signature.gif

I was looking at the Ivermectin today. Do you like the powdered version for any specific reason over the liquid? And what is the measurement for the powder?

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.