Are Greyhounds "stiffer" Than Other Dogs?

Guest oscar

Hi everyone! We're new greyhound owners and I'm a bit of a fusspot, so I'd like to know if I'm just worrying over nothing.

Our greyhound of 2 weeks, Oscar, is starting to worry me with his gait. He always looks like a ballet dancer "en pointe," if you know what I mean. I have extensive dog experience in general (dog walker and doggy daycare worker) but not particularly with greyhounds, so I'm wondering if this is just particular to the breed. He's 3 years old and just had a full medical workup from the rescue agency the week before we got him. We also have hardwood floors, which might be part of it, but most of them are covered by big area rugs, and he doesn't seem to have any fear of slipping.

In short: do greyhounds have a stiffer gait than other dogs or is this something I should be worried about? Are there any exercises I can do to help loosen his joints?

Welcome to GT :)

They are prone to arthritis, in which case there is a lot you can do.

But since you're not familiar with the breed, can you spend some time with someone else's greyhound? I'm sure there are GTers in Portland. I'm not visualizing what you're describing, but that way you could see if it's a normal greyhound thing or something else.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest Swifthounds

Without seeing it, it's hard to tell if what you're describing is a natural greyhound gait, a product of the flooring, or something else. That said, it's not at all uncommon for a greyhound to have decreased range of motion and the beginnings of arthritis long before changes are visible on an x-ray (way too late to notice IMO). You can combat decreased range if motion though stretching, exercise, and supplementation.

Can you do a video, upload it to YouTube or some other media sharing website & post the link so we can see what you are talking about? That would make it easier for people to help answer your question more accurately. And welcome to GT.

In this household there is 1 grey and 2 huskies. The huskies definitely "prance" compared to Sammi's long-legged gait. The younger husky cracks me up when she prances along next to her much taller roommate, trying to keep up, when all Sammi is doing is her relaxed walk (imagine a very tall Eeyore). Sammi does take Gluc/Chon, but we aren't in the winter months where she would be walking stiffer yet.

I think I know EXACTLY what you mean, and my answer would be yes!

Although I would describe it more as if George walks with a stick up his butt...

All the other dogs in my family have been assorted hunting breeds who have a more horse like trot. George tends to look like he's floating on air, but I do think his hind legs look "tight" when he trots along.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

my guess is that what you are seeing is a typical GH gait. I once had a guy (who has only had labs) comment that my hound 'must be really old because he can barely walk!' and I was like, HUH?? There was absolutely nothing wrong with my hound or his gait. I think this guy just wasn't familiar with GH's.

Here is a short video of a bunch of GH's walking for you to compare.

I can only base my observation on the GH's I've lived with, and the only time I have seen a stiffness is with the ones who have limited motion due to arthritis and mostly OA.

Wayne is probably the worst I've seen due to OA of his tarsal joints.

When the others were younger, I saw no stiffness at all, and especially not with the 2 yr old.

Edited by CaliforniaGreys

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Greyhound flexion comes mostly from having a more mobile spine and greater spring from the wrist. It often looks like they aren't bending their legs at all when they walk, jog and run. Also, as sighthounds, they have been bred to conserve as much energy as possible, and this results in less motion than say, a hunting dog or other non-working breed.

Hello from another Portlander!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest mbfilby

I'm with Susan. Viewed from the rear, greyhounds (that I am familiar with) seem to have a stiff legged walk compared to other breeds. There is less hip movement and more butt swagger..

Guest budsmom

Greys have the same gaits and motion as a horse. They may look a little clunky at a walk, but they more than make up for it at full gallop! Like someone else said, they have more movement in the wrist than in the upper leg, and the majority of the force comes from their back legs. Those huge thighs propel them forward, rather than being "pulled" by the front legs.

The first time Ed walked with Carl, the first thing he said was, "He walks like a jock.". Mine both walk like jocks, heads down, long sort of conservative (in terms of no wasted motion) steps, rolling shoulders and a real swing of the ribcage and butt. It's fun to watch! Last winter I noticed Claire had some stiffness in her hind quarters when it was cold and damp, so I have her on a supplement. I just started Carl on one last week as a preventative as he is now 8.5.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

My neighbor walked Robin once for me as a favor. The next day, I saw her and she said, "From behind, Robin walks like a lady wearing high heels!" I walked behind him, and, sure enough, he does! (I prefer this analogy to his having a stick up his butt, though that one is probably accurate as well...) :P

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).