Counterfeit Frontline

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/08/12/1006303/-EPA-Counterfeit-Pesticide-Products-for-Dogs-and-Cats

If anyone is ordering from an Australian online pharmacy, check your boxes, it's where we got ours and it's a bad one

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest MtnBikerChk

The EPA Factsheet is dated 2004

http://www.epa.gov/opp00001/factsheets/retailerfactsh.pdf

my frontline is from Petshed - so I got out the box and went through the list of things to check. Some match and some down. The skeptic in me is inclined to think the package differences are due to international differences.

the Petshed website clearly says:

Frontline Plus has been approved for sale in Australia by the APVMA. The US equivalent of this product has been approved for sale by the EPA.

Both the Australian and US products contain the same active ingredients, Fipronil & (S)-Methoprene.

However, the products sold by Pet Shed are sold in Australian packaging which has not been approved for sale in the US. As a consequence, the Australian packaging does not have EPA approval and the sale and purchase of products in the Australian packaging may be illegal in the US.

(and I've known that). And I know a lot of people order from Petshed.

Thoughts?

I read the article. I'm wondering about putting Frontline on a 10 month old puppy who had just had his shots????????? Not sure what breed he was. I would wonder about the shots.

I think I would only use half a dose of Frontline on a Puppy.

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

The EPA Factsheet is dated 2004

http://www.epa.gov/o...ailerfactsh.pdf

my frontline is from Petshed - so I got out the box and went through the list of things to check. Some match and some down. The skeptic in me is inclined to think the package differences are due to international differences.

the Petshed website clearly says:

Frontline Plus has been approved for sale in Australia by the APVMA. The US equivalent of this product has been approved for sale by the EPA.

Both the Australian and US products contain the same active ingredients, Fipronil & (S)-Methoprene.

However, the products sold by Pet Shed are sold in Australian packaging which has not been approved for sale in the US. As a consequence, the Australian packaging does not have EPA approval and the sale and purchase of products in the Australian packaging may be illegal in the US.

(and I've known that). And I know a lot of people order from Petshed.

Thoughts?

Hope you're right about the packaging but there are some GH people on Facebook who were involved in the death of one of the dogs so I would rather be safe than sorry and never take a chance.

I have the box from Australia but haven't even opened it yet as I stopped using it months ago, but will discard the product

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

FWIW: I have purchased both from Australia and from a big box store, have been diligent in regular applications and have found that the product from both sources is not nearly as effective as it once was. My Vet agreed with my observation last year - she said long time clients that purchase directly from her practice and had good results in the past were complaining about the product not working anymore, or working for about two weeks and then the itching, scratching, biting returns.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Thanks for posting this, Claudia. I've purchased Frontline online from Aus. before (last year?) and it didn't work for beans. I just bought Advantage from Amazon, while it was shipped from the east coast US, I'm wondering if it is the real deal. I put it on the dogs last weekend. No bad reactions at all, but now I'm wondering if it is legitimate. I'm doing homework on it right now.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I'm skeptical for claiming its a fake just based on packaging. Manufactures change their packaging all the time. Merial would be the one to say if it's a legit package or not.

Edited by snowjay

I'm skeptical for claiming its a fake just based on packaging. Manufactures change their packaging all the time. Merial would be the one to say if it's a legit package or not.

Agreed, but that's all the EPA has given as guidance. I've been perusing the Bayer website, I wish I could get a better/bigger picture of the package as well as a picture of the real tubes. All I know is that the dogs are doing well and are now flea-free.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Agreed, but that's all the EPA has given as guidance. I've been perusing the Bayer website, I wish I could get a better/bigger picture of the package as well as a picture of the real tubes. All I know is that the dogs are doing well and are now flea-free.

And unfortunately that EPA sheet is only for US versions, if you've bought from Petshed you have the AU version.

And unfortunately that EPA sheet is only for US versions, if you've bought from Petshed you have the AU version.

Nope, bought mine from Amazon, it was from Save Mart in NJ (I think it was NJ).

Nope, bought mine from Amazon, it was from Save Mart in NJ (I think it was NJ).

Ahh. I bought from PetShed and it looks almost exactly like the impostors in the photos from the link above.

Guest MtnBikerChk

FWIW: I have purchased both from Australia and from a big box store, have been diligent in regular applications and have found that the product from both sources is not nearly as effective as it once was. My Vet agreed with my observation last year - she said long time clients that purchase directly from her practice and had good results in the past were complaining about the product not working anymore, or working for about two weeks and then the itching, scratching, biting returns.

maybe the bugs are getting more resistant!! :)

Maybe these things happen because the versions sold in the USA are just too expensive for many people. Not everyone is wealthy and when it comes down to whether you buy expensive flea prevention (in addition to expensive heartworm prevention and other things ) or whether you buy food for the dogs, you sometimes have to have some tough decisions.

i posted concern about the aussie frontline last spring on g/t. since i ordered from a canadian internet pharmacy.(the pharmacy also guarantee the autheniticy and offered to refund it) one of the responses was that the australian packaging IS DIFFERENT. they do not contend w/ the u.s. govt regulations, both the insert in the box and the type of container for the pipette are different. merial in the states only guarantees the products sold here, they are manufactured in france. the rest of the world's distrubiton is sinapore...mmmm...from what i remember.

the package i have is different, if matches the package on petshed and merial in australia. my dogs have been fine, fleas and ticks are not...so i guess it works. yes, i was leary but after reading numerous g/t posts of many people who use the international product..i went w/ it.

have you checked the packaging on the "official merial" site for other countries?

Edited by cleptogrey

Spoke to rep from Merial regarding a possible resistance -- all of their research points towards NO resistance. The company claims that if a flea infestation happens it's because of improper application of the product or do to an impostor product being used Merial will stand behind FL and will send out an exterminator if a problem arises only if the FL was purchased from your vets office.

Btw- most vet clinics will give a free application for every 3 purchased- 2 for every 6--- pretty good deal.

Spoke to rep from Merial regarding a possible resistance -- all of their research points towards NO resistance. The company claims that if a flea infestation happens it's because of improper application of the product or do to an impostor product being used Merial will stand behind FL and will send out an exterminator if a problem arises only if the FL was purchased from your vets office.

Btw- most vet clinics will give a free application for every 3 purchased- 2 for every 6--- pretty good deal.

The Merial Reps were "here" last year and offered to conduct seminars at my Vet's office, retrain staff, etc. because of complaints from this area two years ago! By that time, it was too late. There were so many people turned off by wasting their money that they started purchasing other products. Unfortunately Merial is a dime short and a day late in this area. You know Merial is getting desperate when Frontline in now sold in WallyWorld.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Don't risk putting chemicals on your babies, we use Lavender Baby power on our and have not had a flea or tick in years! Just sprinkle it on, rub in into their fur, and your done!

I'm sure I've asked before, but how often do you have to put it on? Do your dogs tend to go into pools/lakes a lot?

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

I usually put it on them every 2 weeks, and no they are not in the water (lakes or pools). Just sprinkle it on their back and sides and rub it it. then I sprinkle some in my hand and rub their chest and bellies and then sprinkle more in my hand and do each leg. makes them smell good too! best of all, NO fleas or ticks!