Whining..whining...whining...

Otis been here almost 2 months now. He is doing good, lots of energy and happiness that help heal the big hole in our hearts made by Tuffy departure.

Otis is quite a vocal grey, he barks to other dogs (or squirrels)wen happy and playfull. Love to bark and growl when playing tug of war with us.

An other way he express himself is through whining... it does not seem to be of anxiety just a way to express what he wants...food, treats, go for a walk, play... :rolleyes:

My concerns are how will I know when he whines because he is in pain or disconfort? :unsure

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

Guest shanesmom

Maybe the whining if he is in pain will sound different. Just like with barking. Elton would bark now and then when he wanted food, when he played, etc. and each bark had a different sound to it. My new boy Ace whines when he gets bored with playing. He'll play for a while and then he'll start whining for a while before he settles down and naps.

It'll be a different whine.

Just like with a kid--that annoying "Mommy mommy mommy mommy" is very different when the kid just wants you to drop what you're doing and pay attention to them than the shriek if they actually NEED you!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

thanks. I guess I ear the difference when it happens.

GeorgeofNE: you made me realise I should have name Otis Stewie instead..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNkp4QF3we8

:lol

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

And the GSOD will probably give it away when he's in serious need lol.gif

I have a whiner too - he mutters and moans all the time, but when he REALLY means it, the whole neighborhood knows it!

Congrats to you and Otis on this new chapter in your lives colgate.gif

It'll be a different whine.

Just like with a kid--that annoying "Mommy mommy mommy mommy" is very different when the kid just wants you to drop what you're doing and pay attention to them than the shriek if they actually NEED you!

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

I have one of those, her name is Sugar. Some days she talks and talks and talks and talks! It can drive one to drink. But most of the time it's not so bad and it's endearing. And believe me, you will know the difference, the body language will be different and the tone will be different. My Lulu has now decided in her old age to bark at me when she wants to go out, scares me half to death and now she's starting to "talk" to me... Oy!

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Buzz is a big whiner too - he is extremely vocal. But you will know the difference between everyday whining and pain or discomfort whining. Can't explain it to you but it's definitely different!

With my two whiners it's the opposite - when they don't feel good they are really quiet. In their case, silence is not golden!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

As others have said, in pain/serious whines will be different, just like how a parent can tell if a baby is fussing itself to sleep or if it is something more serious.

As for the GSOD, Sammi is a drama queen of the highest royalty. When we fell down icy steps and landed in a heap together on the sidewalk... not a peep, even tho her nail was ripped from the nail-bed. :blink:

I come near her feet with the clippers and I get a GSOD in the ear. :rolleyes:

Guest BrianRke

Daytona whines a lot when he is bored, wants attention, wants to go to bed, wants food, wants to go out, etc... all these "whines" sound the same. A few months ago he got his foot caught under a door which was very painful, it was a comletely different whine.

With him, it was easy to tell the difference. The longer you have him and the more time you spend with him, the more in tune you will be to his wants/needs.

thanks!

I guess 2 months is a short time to know each other... His personnality is comming up slowly even if he never was shy or affraid from day 1...

to you with whiners, do you found that ignoring the whines is a god thing? Or should I respond to it? saying it's ok or trying to find out what he want?

I have the feeling the whining is guetting to DH nerves a little. :unsure

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data

i personally can not stand whiners, be it kids or dogs. w/ kids at work i tell them the price of whine(wine) has gone up to $7 a glass, do they have enough $$$ w/ them ? that usually tells them enough whining in a jovial way. w/ my pup who LOVES to whine, it's the plant spray. ignoring does not do the trick. i have not changed the water in the plant spray in a long time, i just hold up the bottle and....ah...silence.

a friend has a corgi who whines and mutters all the time, she loves it and she mutters back to her and praises her for it! what ever floats your boat.

I don't encourage the whining by responding to him. If I do talk to him, he keeps the conversation going :)

Mostly he just wants my attention and I am the one that decides when he gets that - NOT him! Be sure he knows that you are the one in charge.

And yes, two months is a very short time. You will be amazed how different your hound is after you've shared a year together!

Now let's see some pictures :)

thanks!

I guess 2 months is a short time to know each other... His personnality is comming up slowly even if he never was shy or affraid from day 1...

to you with whiners, do you found that ignoring the whines is a god thing? Or should I respond to it? saying it's ok or trying to find out what he want?

I have the feeling the whining is guetting to DH nerves a little. :unsure

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

I have a whiner too. But not all the time. She will whine to get attention, usually belly rubs after dinner. Sometimes I get annoyed, but I step back and think that she is only here with me for a short time. What's 5 minutes in the scheme of things. It's part of what makes her Gracie, and I will really miss it when she is no longer here. So I talk back, play, or rub her belly with a smile. I love my little girl to pieces.

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

I also notice that during the nights we leave the windows open (nights are getting colder now) Otis will awake and start whining around midnight/ 1 am... I dont no if it's from earing interesting things outside of because he is afraid...

He sleeps on the main floor alone, our bedroom is in the basement (Otis hates going downstairs).

Sometimes he will setle down after 5-10 minutes, other times he wont...DH or I will get upstairs and lay on the sofa and only then Otis will go back to his bed and we return to bed...

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Tuffy greyhound-data

I agree with the others. Darcy is our resident talker. DH and I can even distinquish between her "I need to go out whine", the "my sister stole my bed whine", the "I'm hungry whine" and the "ouch, I'm hurt whine".

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Otis been here almost 2 months now. He is doing good, lots of energy and happiness that help heal the big hole in our hearts made by Tuffy departure.

Otis is quite a vocal grey, he barks to other dogs (or squirrels)wen happy and playfull. Love to bark and growl when playing tug of war with us.

An other way he express himself is through whining... it does not seem to be of anxiety just a way to express what he wants...food, treats, go for a walk, play... :rolleyes:

My concerns are how will I know when he whines because he is in pain or disconfort? :unsure

I too have a whiner. He's happy. It's just his way of talking - and he has a whole lot to say. :P;)

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.