Wabi Has A Mouth ... Tumor?

Xan

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been reading along (although I haven't commented yet) and I'm so happy they were able to get the growth with a local and light sedation. Phaelin had an epulis removed a few years ago that looked similar to Wabi's.....his was a little smaller though. It turned out to be benign, so I'm hoping for the same for Wabi.

And, if it were me, I'd be pacing back and forth in front of their place at 2:45, checking every minute or two saying, "Can I take her home yet? Can I take her home yet" lol.gif But that's just me. rolleyes.gif

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Poor little thingy. She's a bit wobbly and spacy, but she's HERE! Her bump is kind of meat-like, ew, and she's not interested in ice cubes or water, but she seemed to appreciate getting wiped down with a damp cloth a bit.

When the tech brought her out, her little face struck me as so white! She's not my little mustachio'd puppy anymore. So little and frail-looking, in that clinic context.

Well, she'll be running Brilly 'round in circles tomorrow, or I miss my guess. She's just got to brush off this anesthesia hangover. We have some Tramadol for dessert, so she'll be okay tonight, I'm sure.

Paula, when they removed Phaelin's, did they take teeth or bone with it? From what I've been reading, Wabi is likely to lose at the very least that canine, and maybe the incisors on that side, along with the bone they're attached to. We'll see what happens. unsure.gif

Right now, my heart is full of Gil and Tanner!! :(

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Welcome home, Wabi!!! And congratulations on the good news, even if it's preliminary! :confetti

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Paula, when they removed Phaelin's, did they take teeth or bone with it? From what I've been reading, Wabi is likely to lose at the very least that canine, and maybe the incisors on that side, along with the bone they're attached to. We'll see what happens. unsure.gif

I had to check his vet paperwork, which says he did lose an incisor, but when I check his mouth, I don't see where it's missing. :dunno I do remember the vet saying he had to remove a tooth, but Phaelin wasn't all that cooperative with me probing his mouth tonight, so I'm sure he did. My notes don't say if there was any bone removed, and I don't remember the vet mentioning that, so I'm thinking none was removed. I think we caught Phaelin's early so that's why they only removed the one tooth and didn't need to remove any bone.

Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie

Checking in to see how things went.....glad to hear she's back home with you.

Sounds like things are potentially good! Fantastic.

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

Guest Fasave

When Avalanche had his epulis removed, he lost two front teeth. The way I understood it was that it grew out of the roots, or maybe it was around the roots of the teeth.

You know what's weird? When you multi-quote check something, then don't reply to it, then do reply to another thread, and lo! There the quotes are! :lol

I had to check his vet paperwork, which says he did lose an incisor, but when I check his mouth, I don't see where it's missing. :dunno I do remember the vet saying he had to remove a tooth, but Phaelin wasn't all that cooperative with me probing his mouth tonight, so I'm sure he did. My notes don't say if there was any bone removed, and I don't remember the vet mentioning that, so I'm thinking none was removed. I think we caught Phaelin's early so that's why they only removed the one tooth and didn't need to remove any bone.

Ah, good. Well, I can keep my fingers crossed, anyway.

When Avalanche had his epulis removed, he lost two front teeth. The way I understood it was that it grew out of the roots, or maybe it was around the roots of the teeth.

Yes, apparently it's a tumor of the ligament that attaches the tooth to the jaw. Who knew teeth had ligaments? I mean, I guess I never thought of it ... blink.gif Anyway, yeah, so these epuloides (I think that's the right plural?) can deform the jaw and shove the teeth all cattywhampus. That is a technical term, by the way.

She was up and chasing the kitties, eating her breakfast with her usual gusto, and vulturing over any dropped bits near Pogo and Brilly, so I think she's feeling back to normal, today! :lol

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

Guest BleuDog

Greyt News - so far.....

Will keep up the white light and positive vibes on the path report.........

Glad to hear your Little Girlie is feeling FINE!!!!!!!

Very good news!!! I'm happy she is home and on the mend.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Woo hoo little Wabi. So glad to hear all went well at the vet.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Just got a call from the vet's office: it's an epulis! So, that's relatively good!

Now, what to do about it? *need an emoticon for putting on my thinking cap*

(Issue #2: How we will pay for it! blink.gif )

I talked to a friend yesterday who'd dog had one years ago, and had the surgery to remove it. My friend has since moved into a more integrated approach to medicine, and regrets having had the surgery done, since she's since learned of non-surgical treatments. Medicine that takes from all the approaches appropriately (Integrative Medicine) is my own preference, too. I want to talk to my current vet about that, and then probably to another one or two local-ish vets who use alternative therapies. If I can avoid surgery for Wabi, and give her a good quality of life, then that's the highest good!

Thanks again for all the emotional support and good thoughts!!

:bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

Just got a call from the vet's office: it's an epulis! So, that's relatively good!

Now, what to do about it? *need an emoticon for putting on my thinking cap*

(Issue #2: How we will pay for it! blink.gif )

I talked to a friend yesterday who'd dog had one years ago, and had the surgery to remove it. My friend has since moved into a more integrated approach to medicine, and regrets having had the surgery done, since she's since learned of non-surgical treatments. Medicine that takes from all the approaches appropriately (Integrative Medicine) is my own preference, too. I want to talk to my current vet about that, and then probably to another one or two local-ish vets who use alternative therapies. If I can avoid surgery for Wabi, and give her a good quality of life, then that's the highest good!

Thanks again for all the emotional support and good thoughts!!

:bighug

Great news!! I'm glad it wasn't something cancerous. There's been enough of that lately.

This is the closest "thinking" emotie I have:

Smiley-noidea.gif

lol.gif

Would the vet be able to just cut most of it off under another light sedation? My vet told me these can sometimes be aggressive and regrow, although luckily Phaelin's hasn't yet and his surgery was 3 years ago. If not, I hope you're able to find some other way to treat it without having to put her under since she's had such a bad experience with that in the past.

Paula, your emotie is cute! But ... its idea doesn't work! Waaa!

I'm SO glad Phaelin's hasn't grown back! I read somewhere today that prognosis for dogs is in the 500-something days post-diagnosis! That's not long enough! *fists on hips* It won't do. But, that little snippet did not say what eventually the dogs died of, nor if it was related. Just a loose number, averaging around randomly.

I'm not ruling out some form of excision, just hoping to avoid it, and/or minimize it. We'll see. I have some feelers out, and I'm doing some studying ... If anyone has any info on alternative treatments, I'd love to hear it!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

That had occurred to me, too. Not sure if you can get in deep enough, since it grows out of the tooth's ligament. Surgical "cures" seem to insist on 1cm margins, which means anything in that zone: bone, tooth, gum.

But I will ask. Thanks for bringing it up. :)

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg