Losing A Leg-Gaining A Life

Guest Greyhoundartist

Guest Greyhoundartist

Hi-

Many of you may know that about 8 weeks ago my boy 'Perry', a rescue Whippet, went through surgery

and it was neccesary to amputate his leg.

With Perry being a senior, it was a difficult decision to make.

I recieved much advise, some saying not to go through with this while others stated he will do fine.

After much thought and research and knowing that he was a healthy senior, the decision was made to proceed.

The post surgery was traumatic visually.

Seeing my boy trying to stand, walk etc. was difficult to watch to say the least.

But it was clear, after just a few days, that he would be fine.

It takes time, patience and much strength to get through this but being a self-employed artist I am fortunate enough to be able to work from home and provide 24-7 attention.

Now, 8 weeks later, my boy is incredible. He has managed to adjust and does extremely well on 3 legs. He turned 14 years old on August 4th.

Nothing could have been a greater gift than to have my boy doing so well.

I truly believe that Everyday is a Blessing.

I want to thank all of you who have kept my boy in your prayers and thoughts.

I will always be grateful to you all who have supported my artwork over the years.

The kindness you have shown will never be forgotten.

Thank you-

Kevin Z.

Glad to hear Perry is doing so well. May you have many more years together!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Kevin,

Very glad Perry is doing well! These pups can get around fine on three legs and it makes them all that more special. I hope you continue to have many many more happy moments together.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Wonderful to hear how well Perry is doing.

He is lucky to have such a loving Dad.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Awesome news! Glad he's adjusting so well. Having a tripawed is an honor and a miracle.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Greyhoundartist

Thank you to everyone for your kind words.

The first photo is Perry 2 years ago after his first surgery.

perry1a.jpg

The cancer was a non-sheath soft tissue sarcoma. It is a cancer that usually is slow to metastasis, but this type of cancer frequently returns and most times to the same area. I chose not to do chemo after the first surgery (just a personal choice) and knew there was probability of a return. Perry did well for two years but early this year I noticed a lump in the same area. The lump grew more quickly this time and within a week doubled in size. There was no choice but to operate again. The surgeon did his best to save Perry's leg but this time the cancer was much deeper into the cartlidge and muscle tissue.

Below is a photo of Perry (5 weeks after surgery) enjoying his Hedgehog get well gift from his adopted aunt Jerri. I think he healed quickly also from the special biscuits treats he was sent from the wonderful Miss Burpdog.(Thank you D!!!) They really perked his spirits!

perrycropo.jpg

Perry was fortunate to have a great surgeon. There were no stitches and healing was very quick.

He actually is in better physical shape after the surgery as he is using different muscle groups and he has more energy.

I have two other seniors that find it hard to keep up with him. As most of you may know, the tripods hop quickly as it is easier for them to do so rather than to try and walk slowly.

I have learned so much from my brave boy who I love so very,very much.

Each day we have together is a Blessing. And I never forget that.

Again to all of you, thank you.

-Kevin Z.

I missed the original story as well Kevin, I know your dedication to your kidz and am so glad to read things went so well for your little man wub.gif

And I will never forget your kindness to me over the years, and your work has brought so much joy into my home.

Be well my friend

Claudia

Edited by CaliforniaGreys

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Flysmom

I am so happy for you and Perry! I am glad you did your research and listened to your heart! Wishing you both many happy years together!!!!