Osteo Thread

Laura, I'm so sorry that Faye Oops is having a tough time. Sometimes I almost feel bad for posting about how well Pinky is doing when there are so many that are having a tough time. We have been so very lucky and I hope our streak of luck continues, but I wish that we could pass some of that luck on to everyone else too.

Please don't feel that way. Speaking for myself, I love hearing about the dogs who are doing well battling this awful disease. In a way, it makes up for the ones that don't make it.

ETA... Now that DH and I have reached an agreement to send Faye Oops to the Rainbow Bridge next Monday (hopefully not sooner), I feel like we can spend the next few days preparing by doing her favorite things, making her favorite meals and just loving on her.

I also hesitate about posting (or letting Joe post) good news. Thank you for letting me know that this is okay. I can't believe that you have the empathy during this emotional time to think of those who are thankfully having a better time of it.

Enjoy your plans with Faye Oops. I so clearly remember the last days I had with my Twistmas. I will treasure the memories forever.

Jane

Yes, please keep posting good news. My Sam had bad chest x-rays Monday, so seeing Joe's good news helped balance things out for me. (Sam's vet is consulting with OSU, but it looks like my darling old boy has lung cancer--and some other issues.)

6338104697_d0ca798acd_m.jpg

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone heard from Johanna today? I think she said she'd be working late today, but, Hurley has been on my mind...

Pinky's bandage becomes more annoying by the day. It just won't stay put where we need it to. Aargh. Mom and I may have to change it. We'll see if we can get through Friday with the current one.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Hoping everything went smoothly with Hurley's surgery today. I'm sure it has been a long day for all.

There is so much activity here lately, I feel bad combining so many messages in one post. (But I've tried making separate posts before, and the forum magically combines them into one, so I'll just do it that way this time).

Laura, your family's decision for Faye Oops is completely rational, completely heartfelt, completely loving, and incredibly difficult. I hope you can all thoroughly enjoy these next days.

Christine, I am so, so sorry that your beautiful Hailey is gone.

Lin, Clark is lovely. He and Hurley are amputation-day twins. I hope his recovery goes well. Getting the house ready is no easy feat; but it sounds like you are well on the way there. You can also get carpet remnants at a local flooring outlet for pretty cheap. For the most part, though they can get around fine on tile or wood floors - that's what the vet's office has, and they do OK there. I have mostly tile & wood, and the carpet really is only required for the stairs, having it in larger room areas just helps Twiggy do better indoor zoomies - not something Clark is going to be doing for a few weeks, so you've got time. And as mentioned, go ahead and muzzle - this will do double duty by protecting his sutures.

I'm sorry to hear about Sam's lung x-rays. That is hard news to bear.

I too feel bad sometimes about posting good news. It isn't fair that there is such a disparity in how each fares with this. However, I do believe that when I'm on the other side of the equation, I will be rooting heartily for all the houndies who continue to kick butt.

So, with that perspective, Twiggy continues to do fabulously! Today is her 3-month amputation anniversary. We played an outstanding round of Chase the Wendy and Stuffy Toss, then after her regular chicken dinner, she got a chicken foot for dessert and is now gnawing on a nice bully stick. Unfortunately her 2 new Slumber Balls from Drs. Foster and Smith haven't arrived yet, but don't worry, she still has her other dozen or so other dog beds to choose from (she firmly believes that dogs don't belong on people furniture, and yells at any foster dogs who try this :rolleyes: )

Her next chemo is scheduled for the day after Thanksgiving, so she'll have to finish her turkey early.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Unfortunately her 2 new Slumber Balls from Drs. Foster and Smith haven't arrived yet, but don't worry, she still has her other dozen or so other dog beds to choose from (she firmly believes that dogs don't belong on people furniture, and yells at any foster dogs who try this :rolleyes: )

Just wanted to let you know that the slumber balls can be a bit poofy until they get compressed a bit. Joe's was about 14 inches tall when new. I had to hold it down a bit for him to feel comfortable jumping into it. But I think he is a bit more "careful" than Twiggy. This is a good thing since he is such a clumsy goofball. Now that it is compressed to about 6 to 8 inches it is HIS bed and he lets everyone know it. If anyone gets on it and doesn't listen to him when he tells them that this isn't allowed, he comes and gets me to chase them off. The only dog he ever let onto it was Twistmas, during her final few months. The sweet boy would spoon her to keep her nice and warm.

Jane

Ok, I am here now, posting on the amputation!!! :colgate So far, so good!! We just got back from seeing him for the first time. He may be able to come home tomorrow.

I started a new thread just so I could put all the details down and not have to flood this thread!

It was a busy, busy, exhausting day (both Jim and I worked) so I apologize for not making it here sooner, I know what it is like to wait and wait!!

The surgery went well (with one acceptable exception: arrythmia which means doxorubicin would be bad for him) and the surgeon did keep the top part of the leg above the knee. He was all shaven to the tail so it looks naked and strange. Plus it is very swollen but he is healing nicely. We didn't take any pics yet. It is quite dramatic right now. But he ate for us and was in a general good mood, not anxious or worried but still panting from the meds and sedatives. Hurley clotted well, thanks to the aminocaproic acid!

I also see Clark was amputated today....I guess this family grows a little all the time! I'm glad we have a partner for Hurley!!

I'm glad it has been pointed out that people are posting bad news and still heartened by the good. We can't feel sad about posting good news!! And sad news should not be avoided in a place like this. We are here for each other! B) I understand that I will be posting bad news one day I hope it's still a long ways off. We have to be like our greyhounds and live in the moment!

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

Others will chime in with more comments, but let me welcome you to the club no one wants to join.

You'd probably need to muzzle Clark to keep him from licking his stitches, so you can kill two birds with one stone, protecting Twister from Clark and Clark from himself. Don't feel guilty about doing what you need to do to protect your boys. Sometimes, cancer gives you a whole new set of priorities.

See if you can find a Goodwill or Salvation Army or other second-hand/used-goods store. Sometimes you can use old, rubber-backed bathmats as runners, and just cut them to fit where you need them.

Clark is adorable.

Great ideas/viewpoints, thanks! I won't feel as guilty about muzzling Clark. I'll look through my stash of bath mats to see what I have.

Since I moved east this summer, and spent most of my summer in the garden planting what I brought and watering what I planted, I have a ton of boxes that I haven't even touched in the garage and sunroom. I was able to find my sling to help Clark, but then someone posted on here (or in one of the links) about using a RuffWear harness. I have a bunch of those, sizes small to large (from when my Whippet-x had Wobblers and my ancient Weimaraner was weak in the back). Today I head to the garage to look through the tubs of dog stuff to find one to fit Clark - I think that may work really well as he can just wear it and I can assist him with the handle.

A bright sunny day - surely all will be well!!

Lin, with Nick the Greyhound
Missing my girls Nadia, Tallulah, Cinderella, and my heart-dog Alexa, and my precious boys Twister, Loki, and Kevin

So far, Gabe seems to be handling the chemo really well, although I understand the full side effects may not hit until later. What's worrying is that today he's limping on a (non-tumor) back leg. The x-rays on that leg were a little iffy - both our regular vet and our oncologist saw density "issues" but no mass or any definite signs of cancer. They said it's possible that it's age/arthritis related, and our oncologist wanted to "keep an eye on it," while treating the tumor in his front leg.

Is it normal for chemotherapy (and cold, rainy weather) to make him sore, possibly exacerbating arthritis/other issues in that leg, or should I insist on more x-rays at this point?

Edited by vjgrey

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

So far, Gabe seems to be handling the chemo really well, although I understand the full side effects may not hit until later. What's worrying is that today he's limping on a (non-tumor) back leg. The x-rays on that leg were a little iffy - both our regular vet and our oncologist saw density "issues" but no mass or any definite signs of cancer. They said it's possible that it's age/arthritis related, and our oncologist wanted to "keep an eye on it," while treating the tumor in his front leg.

Is it normal for chemotherapy (and cold, rainy weather) to make him sore, possibly exacerbating arthritis/other issues in that leg, or should I insist on more x-rays at this point?

I have to say that chemo did not make Joe sore. However, being a tripod did make his back sore for a little while. Prior to amputation he was diagnosed with a mild case of lumbar stenosis. Is there any chance that your Gabe has some back issues? It concerns me that he is favoring the leg that had iffy x-rays. New x-rays might be in order but If the x-rays weren't that long ago, I'm not sure if new x-rays would show anything new. Perhaps restricting his activities would help?

Hoping that this is just a little arthritis flaring up with the cold, rainy weather.

Jane

Edited by joejoesmom

Weather could certainly affect arthritis, but it might be worth sending the x-rays from the "iffy" leg off to OSU for a second opinion if it hasn't been that long, or like Jane said, redoing them if some time has passed. Hope it is just a bit of arthritis. :goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

The appointment has been made. Faye Oops will be crossing the bridge on Monday, November 21 @ noon. Our vets practice is open during the weekend too, but we really want our regular vet to help her cross the bridge. We hope she is OK until then.

When I got home from work yesterday, all the dogs except Faye Oops met me at the door. She was in the family room laying down on her bed. When we were watching TV, she continued to lie on her bed. Normally, Faye Oops is the first dog greet you and the first to jump on the couch to snuggle. After seeing how she was last night, DH and I are confident with our decision. She slept well last night which was a relief. The drugs are finally keeping her comfortable which is a blessing. Still, Faye Oops has so lost much of her spark. It's time.

Today is my last day at the office. I won't be back until November 29. I'm glad that I will have the next few days to spend with Faye Oops. Now that the decision has been made, I can now focus my energy on making her final days good ones.

I thought I'd share a little video of Faye Oops. She no longer roos. I'm glad I have have this video to watch.

Edited by winnie

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

What your describing sounds so much like me last week with Neyla after I made the decision. She just lost a lot of her spunk. A day or two before the vet was scheduled to come when she only half-heartedly opened a present, I knew I was making the right decision. :cry1

Relish this time you have left with her and don't hold back on any of the spoiling. :)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

That video is great. I am glad you are taking some days to be with Faye Oops. Try to smile and be happy that she has been part of your life as she is very special. Please give her a hug from me.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I thought I'd share a little video of Faye Oops. She no longer roos. I'm glad I have have this video to watch.

Hello! I had to come out of "Lurker Mode" here in the Osteo Thread to let you know that Faye Oops' is the first roo-ing video that any of my crew has responded to, ever. Moody and Spicy (my own silly black girl) both sat right up, rooroooroorooo'ed along with her, and kept it up for a good minute after it was over. Whatever she was sellin', they were buyin' it! ;) So glad to have met her, but wish it hadn't been here.

Wishing you peace in the days to come...

Lisa
...sharing the journey with my best friend, Kevin, and our four greyhounds:
Littermates Sweetie* & Spicy (Possible Betsy, Possible Edna),

Moody* (Jr's Moody Man), and Dragon (Kiowa Dragonfire)

*Gone to wait for us at the Rainbow Bridge

Hello! I had to come out of "Lurker Mode" here in the Osteo Thread to let you know that Faye Oops' is the first roo-ing video that any of my crew has responded to, ever. Moody and Spicy (my own silly black girl) both sat right up, rooroooroorooo'ed along with her, and kept it up for a good minute after it was over. Whatever she was sellin', they were buyin' it! ;) So glad to have met her, but wish it hadn't been here.

Lisa
...sharing the journey with my best friend, Kevin, and our four greyhounds:
Littermates Sweetie* & Spicy (Possible Betsy, Possible Edna),

Moody* (Jr's Moody Man), and Dragon (Kiowa Dragonfire)

*Gone to wait for us at the Rainbow Bridge

:yay That is awesome Lisa! Faye Oops would only roo if we roo'd with her. I love her roo though - especially the woo, woo, woo sound she'd make after a howl.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Our Snuggle Ball was Dude's favorite and definitely preferred bed the last few months. If one of the others was laying on it, he would lay on a bed so he could see it, and SWOOP in and streal it, if they ahppened to get up - even if it was just to change positions! :lol They do tend to get really flat in the middle so we made sure to shake it once a day or so.

Faye Oops! B):lol Spoil her rotten and take lots of pictures. :kiss2

Glad Hurley is doing so well! Hope Clark comes through with similar flying colors. We really found those Ruff Wear Harnesses to be indespensible. Easy to put on and take off, and made it possible for me to lift a 75 lb dog up the stairs and into the car.

Hugs to everyone! :grouphug

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I also see Clark was amputated today....I guess this family grows a little all the time! I'm glad we have a partner for Hurley!!

Clark will have a recovery buddy - hooray!

At the vet he was pretty steady on his leg:

clarkatvet2.jpg

Now he is home and resting in the ex-pen (not thrilled to be contained, but it is what it is).

inexpen1.jpg

inexpen3.jpg

Lin, with Nick the Greyhound
Missing my girls Nadia, Tallulah, Cinderella, and my heart-dog Alexa, and my precious boys Twister, Loki, and Kevin

:yay Clark!

I'm working late tonight but just talked to my mom - she said that Pinky fell a little bit today. She jumped up and hopped off the couch and her back leg slid out from under her. Mom said she's no worse for wear and didn't even cry or anything, just got up and carried on, but, I still feel bad, poor kiddo :(

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Have kind of an odd question - of course Pinky has been shaved all over the place for her surgery (she is shaved up to her hip bones and her pain patch was stuck right between them). I assume that she will grow hair back where she had it before, right? I'm sure she'll have a scar where the incision was, but, will the rest of it come back on her stump? Kyle, his Charlie hairy in the spot where his leg used to be?

Monday cannot come soon enough - Pinky is scheduled at 5pm to have her staples removed. This bandage is driving her nuts. I have been trying to think of something to use as an alternative...something along the lines of underwear, but so that she can still go to the bathroom. I'm just not sure it's logistically possible. My only other thought was that instead of using vet wrap, to use Ace bandage. That way when she curls up, it doesn't stick to itself when it accordions and causes all kinds of wonky things to happen.

Berkeley's amp was late July. He's still not fully grown back his hair. :( It's not BALD, but just covered in a bit of "peach fuzz".

The chemo slows down the hair re-growth, I think.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Oh, I hadn't thought of that :(

Poor Pinky's bum is going to be COLD!

Twiggy roooooed to Faye Oops' video, too! They have very similar, sweet roos! I'm so glad you've got these next days off to be with her. That is precious time.

Hurley and Clark - way to go! Clark looks so cute in his perla bed. It sounds like they are both recuperating remarkably well. We've good a good bunch of healing houndies in here!

I hope Twiggy will want to jump up into her new slumber balls (still haven't arrived!), but I can smoosh them down if I have to. I know she is more than capable by the way she sails into the backseat of my car, but I wonder if she will think they are "people furniture" and not want to get on :unsure

About fur regrowth, I don't know if it will be different for a back leg amp, but Twiggy's fur is nearly completely grown back in at 3 months post amp; it is really more like 2.5 months, though, because she was re-shaved 13 days after surgery when she went back into the hospital for more surgery to treat her infection. She has recently lost a small patch of fur about 1.5" dia. between her neck and where her leg was. I think this may be due to the chemo. People often ask me if she was born like this.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Dude's shaved area grew back in CURLY!!!!! :lol :lol :lol Well, not really curly, just really wavy! Caused by the chemo I think since that happens to people too. And it was a bit coarser. Since he had very little hair on his butt and thighs, he actually ended up looking like his stump was COVERED in hair where it was all pulled together. The hair grew back right up to the incision on both sides.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly