Ruby Has An Enlarged Spleen

I'm not sure why I'm posting this, I guess just to get it out there. We have been through a rough couple of months here (Ramm went to the bridge, Albi has osteo). I feel like John and I have done something wrong and our dogs are being punished for it.

Ruby has kidney disease and we found out on 7/5 that her spleen is enlarged. Her blood work is worse than the last time so she can't have her spleen removed. She is on a phosphate binder and the vet said to let her eat whatever she wants. She had pretty much stopped eating dog food so I just make her any type of meat with either rice or pasta. She is eating really well now and she seems to be feeling better. You can see her spleen when she lays a certain way but the vet does not feel it will burst. Her other organs looked fine in the x-rays. I asked her what would happen next and the vet said Ruby would stop eating and at that point we would have to make some hard decisions (you know what that means :(). I did a search here for enlarged spleens and didn't find anything encouraging. Any advice would be appreciated.

This is her results from 7/6

page 1

page 2

Edited by NancyB

Nancy with Rocket, Umeko and Sasha

gallery_151_3099_2018.jpg

Missing Albi, Kassie, Ramm, Ruby, my good boy Marvin and Mickey (BT)

NANCY B'S COLLARS

My Goldie had an enlarged spleen. There really wasn't any treatment for him per board certified vet. He NEVER stopped eating but eventually it got to where he couldn't digest properly and he basically wasted away little by little until it was time. He was 11 yoa when he crossed. His balance was also affected but that may have been anotehr issue entirely. My Goldster...I'll alwasy love you boy- you saved me. He still visits me from the spirit world.:angelwings:beatheart

No advice. Just sending you and Ruby a hug. You have certainly had more than your fair share of heartache these last few months.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

I'm sorry to hear this Nancy. I lost two of my babies to spleenic cancer. Brindle to hemangio and Pearl to fibro.

I took Pearl out to see Dr. Couto because he said that there are greyhounds with enlarged spleens that are not cancerous and once removed do well. But it sounds like she's not a candidate for surgery.

Having lost three in a year, I know what you're feeling. It sucks.

Gosh Nancy, I am sorry to hear about Ruby. Having lost two sweet hounds within a couple days of each other this February I do know the "what am I doing wrong" feeling well. Nancy, I can tell from your posts how much you care for your hounds and how lucky they are to have you. Cancer and other hound medical conditions that rob us of time with our hounds truely suck. We as Moms and Dads of hounds do not suck. We do try our best and love our hounds with all our hearts. Our hounds know this and love us right back. Sending prayers of strength for you, Ruby and Albi.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Oh Nancy...I am so sorry that you have had so many bad things happening lately....

:bighug

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Thanks for the good thoughts and prayers for my girl :)

Gh's tend to have puggie spleens. Did they say it's enlarged or had a mass??

It's enlarged, it looks like an overgrown zucchini. I asked the vet about it bursting and she didn't think it would because it doesn't look like a balloon. The vet said the surrounding organs looked good, even the lungs.

Nancy with Rocket, Umeko and Sasha

gallery_151_3099_2018.jpg

Missing Albi, Kassie, Ramm, Ruby, my good boy Marvin and Mickey (BT)

NANCY B'S COLLARS

Sparks had an enlarged spleen. I was all set to remove it but my vet talked me out of it.

U/S showed nothing wrong and all other organs looked fine.

He was becoming a more and more picky eater so I was cooking for my almost every night.

Oh how I miss my boy.

Hugs to you :grouphug

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Crap. Double crap.

What kind of phosphate binder are you using?

Smooches to all of your hounds.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Well, crap, Nancy. (I echo Ellen's sentiments)

Red had an enlarged spleen. :(

I am going to send more good wishes for Ruby. As long as she keeeps eating, you should be good. Maybe her spleen won't get any bigger.

Crossing my fingers and sending more hugs... Ruby hugs, Albi hugs, Nancy and John hugs..........

Edited by VinnieAndRexsMom

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

Just prayers for your girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.