Oscar Getting Left Hip X-Ray And Cultures

Guest eaglflyt

Guest eaglflyt

UPDATE: The respiratory panel came back today. Wow! The dogs (although fully vaccinated!) have been passing around parainfluenza and a secondary infection of mycoplasma. The parainfluenza virus has to run it's course and they're all on doxy which should clear up the mycoplasma. This is the second "plague" to go through the dogs in the past few months. I know it comes from fosters we take in that are fresh from shelters. :( But, it's not the fault of the shelter hounds, or the shelters, or our attempt to keep everyone well fed, happy, vaccinated and healthy! Our vet is giving us the option of having antibiotics on hand to treat any incoming shelter dogs in the future.

I'm torn about automatically treating any incoming shelter hounds with antibiotics. But, all the dogs need some preventive help and protection, if possible. What would you do? :huh

BTW, everyone is steadily improving on doxycycline. The humans may actually get some sleep one of these days in the not-so-distant future.

Our 2 & 1/2 year old, Oscar, is going to the vet today for a pharyngeal & conjunctival swab (coughing & respiratory profile being done) and also a left hip x-ray (limping left rear leg). Our vet is using a very safe combo of drugs to put him under for just a bit ... Dexdomitor and Butorphanol .... which can be reversed immediately if needed. Our guy has had intermittent limping on his left hind leg for the past couple of weeks and it seems to be coming from his hip. However, that's just from my exam. It may not be accurate. The household has also been passing around a terrible cough ever since we had a temporary foster from the local animal shelter. I believe it's kennel cough, although every dog has been vaccinated. As we all know, there are various bugs that can cause this coughing and the vaccine only vaccinates for one strain of one bug. One of our dachshunds was at our vet yesterday and had developed a secondary infection with fever and he got a shot of Baytril and is on a twice daily dosing of doxycycline for 7 days to help with his cough.

Please say a prayer or send some positive thoughts that Oscar's x-ray turns out OK, that he tolerates the brief anesthesia well and that the culture for his respiratory illness is easily obtained. Also, that there is simple and effective treatment for everything.

This is twice this year that shelter hounds have brought a bug into the house that has gone through our entire crew. It's not the shelter hounds fault, it's not even the shelter's fault. It's just a fact of having large groups of dogs together. Bless their hearts. All our hounds & fosters are recovering well from the cough except for Bruce (the dachsie), Oscar and Selleck. We'll have a treatment plan later today for Oscar & Selleck.

I know 2 & 1/2 years is young but you know what we always worry about with limping and x-rays. I'm trying to stay cool, calm & collected ... but it's not easy.

I'll report back later today.

I'm wishing each of you a wonderful day with your precious pups.

Edited by eaglflyt

Sending best wishes for all your pups. Keep us posted!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Good thoughts for Oscar. I hope the x-rays come out clear and you are able to find out what is ailing his hip.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Good thoughts for Oscar!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest eaglflyt

We just got home from meeting with our vet. There were no abnormalities seen on Oscar's hip/pelvis films. :yay We're treating with Deramaxx as needed for the next few days and if the intermittent limping continues, we will go back for more views (including knees) and another evaluation and sending out films for radiologist review. He tolerated his anesthesia smoothly and was wide awake shortly after his procedures. The pharyngeal swab and conjunctival swabs have been sent for respiratory profile and he has been started on doxycycline for now. We should have the resp. profile report back in 1 to 3 days. Selleck was also started on doxy for the same cough/upper respiratory infection.

So, we have Oscar back home and he got frozen yogurt on the way. Selleck got some too! The boys loved it and they've already had their dinner and their first doses of doxy.

Thank you to each of you for the prayers and positive thoughts. We are so lucky to have a good report at this point. I'll keep everyone posted if there are any changes and also when the respiratory profile results come in.

Hug your pups (we're hugging ours :inlove) and have a great evening!

Ouch. Hope the meds do the trick.

I probably wouldn't automatically treat shelter dogs unless ill. If you don't know what they have, you don't know what antibiotic to use.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am glad you know what it is and how to treat it. Hoping everyone gets a good nights sleep.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Guest eaglflyt

Ouch. Hope the meds do the trick.

I probably wouldn't automatically treat shelter dogs unless ill. If you don't know what they have, you don't know what antibiotic to use.

Agreed. I think we're just all tired and frustrated ... along with our vet ... of treating our own crew for so many shelter bugs. :( We won't stop fostering hounds that have come from the shelter, but it does make me feel guilty that our own dogs keep getting sick.

Edited by eaglflyt

I wouldn't automatically treat the shelter dogs with antibiotics if they aren't sick either. The best way to keep your dogs safe is to figure out a way to quarantine new arrivals from the shelter for at least a week before introducing them to your pack. I realize that this may not be practical, but preventing contact until you're relatively sure they aren't carrying any infectious diseases is the only way to really prevent this recurrent problem.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest eaglflyt

Thanks for asking.

He's doing fine now. No limping, even without Deramaxx at this point. We'll still be watching closely for any limp return.

BTW, he did have the very best looking hips on x-ray I have ever seen, at least as far as any structural issue was concerned. :colgate