Leashing Your Grey

Guest maidmarcia

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greyhounds are taught to run.

They are in their boxes, the gates open and they run as fast as they can. People are usually yelling in the background and they are taught to ignore that (hence recall does not work in stressful times).

As others have said, recall is never 100% anyway and the earlier training that your greyhound has received will "kick" in at some point and they will take off and keep on running and "not be able to find their way home" - as they are sighthounds not "smell". They will IGNORE any noises (like you calling them) and just keep on going.

It might take them seeing an animal, a car backfire, but greyhounds revert to "running" and "ignoring" all else.

IMHO, trusting that your dog will come back when called is betraying your responsibility to keep them as safe as possible at all times.

I am truly sorry that your first postings on this forum are going to be raising such a storm. Please be aware that we are not attacking you, we are all just concerned about the possibility of your letting your dog run loose and the results. Many of us have been involved in Amber alerts which ended both positively and negatively and none of use would want to see others in that situation which is mostly preventable.

Edited by MaryJane

I signed a contract that I would never have my pups unleashed unless in a fenced area.

really? wow, I've never heard of that.

I was just wondering what other people do with their greys. Licorice is very good at coming when he's called and will even stop mid-run to return to me (while at the dog park) so I've thought of letting him run on back trails...

Just curious about other's input.

Did you sign an adoption agreement? Because if you DID, I imagine it contains such a clause. Everyone I know has an agreement that says they won't let it off leash.

My dog has NO recall, and I would never take the risk.

My last dog was a mixed breed from a shelter; I signed no such agreement, and he was extremely well trained and I DID let him loose in safe areas.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

If I remember correctly from the GRA forum, you didn't get Licorice all that long ago and they tend to be good about listening at first because everything is new and you are their one constant. But once they settle in some begin to get more independent. Summit is 6 (so a little older, but not OLD) and we do lots of obedience and agility training. Which means his recall is really good... not just for a greyhound but for any dog. He has low prey drive and doesn't chase small furries.

But every dog has a weakness and it takes A LOT of training to get a reliable response in the face of those weaknesses. Even with Summit's great recall I always walk him on a leash. But he doesn't chase things and has reliable recall... so why don't I trust him? Well, if he sees another dog his recall is less reliable. I'd say it's still about 90% but it's definitely not the 99% that it usually is. And if he hears a firecracker or anything that sounds like a firecracker... he's high tailing it home by the most direct route possible. So just because you have a dog that has good recall still doesn't mean it's a good idea to let him off leash.

I have had Summit do some accidental leash free walking. One time a gate at the baseball diamond where we run our dogs every weekend was left open (not the gate we use to enter and exit but a small one by the dug out that we didn't even realize existed because it had always been closed) and all of a sudden my dog was running on the other side of the fence. THAT is what his amazing recall is for. It's not so he can walk off leash all the time... it's so he will come back to me in case of an accident. Does this make hiking a bit of a PITA? Yeah, at first, but you get used to it. I hike Summit in a harness with a longer line so he can stop to sniff and pee without me having to stop every single time. You get used to it. It's a small price to pay to ensure their safety. Any time I have a moment of temptation I just think about him lying dead in the road and the pain that I start to feel just THINKING it immediately erases any thought of it.

I signed a contract that I would never have my pups unleashed unless in a fenced area.

really? wow, I've never heard of that.

I was just wondering what other people do with their greys. Licorice is very good at coming when he's called and will even stop mid-run to return to me (while at the dog park) so I've thought of letting him run on back trails...

Just curious about other's input.

Did you sign an adoption agreement? Because if you DID, I imagine it contains such a clause. Everyone I know has an agreement that says they won't let it off leash.

My dog has NO recall, and I would never take the risk.

My last dog was a mixed breed from a shelter; I signed no such agreement, and he was extremely well trained and I DID let him loose in safe areas.

My dog is from the same group. I'm 99.9% sure there is no off-leash clause. I'd have to double check my contract to be 100%, but I really don't remember it.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Marcia,

Please review the stories in the Amber Alert forum My link . While the majority are accidental escapes, you will see what hard work is required to bring a dog home and the pain of those never found.

Practice recall exercises in a contained area. Never let your guard down.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Please be aware that we are not attacking you...

Oh, no. Most definitely not attacking or even implying anyone was/is/will be doing something wrong. For my part I was merely answering the questions by stating what I do with my own dogs. The problem with having dogs off leash in an unfenced area is that no where have I lived is far enough from a road with high speed traffic for me to feel comfortable. I actually would love to have my dogs off leash when walking & hiking but there are leash laws everywhere I go. My current dogs are my first sighthounds. They are also ones with the best recall so far with the exception of one particular dog. That dog, my heart dog, died at age 10 years old while still in the prime of her life. She was obedience trained. Had very good recall. We had a great life together & she had more safe, healthy freedom than the vastly overwhelming majority of dogs. Sadly though her cause of death was listed by the emergency vets as HBC, hit by car. I loved her & thought I was doing my best for her but in the end I failed her. :weep

Now I work hard to come up with large safe areas for my dogs to play. This includes driving 45 mins one way to a forest park with trails, meadows, squirrels to chase, etc. In a different place, at a different time it was safer to have dogs off leash. Now though with cars going 50+ mph just 100 feet away it simply isn't a risk I want to take even with the best trained dog except in very specific, well planned events. This park I describe seems remote & serene when you are walking there until you here an 18 wheeler rumble by at 70 mph on the highway just 40 feet from the back fence of the off leash area.

This explanation is for those who are truly able to happily, safely walk your dogs off leash. I am sure some places like that remain but not in my area, not for myself & my dogs. We still have fun though.

IMG_4329-1.jpg

Leashed here, 100% of the time.

Desi has achy feet, and has no interest in running at dogparks or in fenced yards.

However, if a c-a-t so much as flicks its tail anywhere within eyesight, he'd be gone, gone, gone.

No chances. Better safe than sorry.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

You adopted Licorice from the same group I got my dogs from. I'm looking at my contract right now and in the terms and conditions of adoption it states "Your greyhound must NEVER be turned loose to run free in unfenced areas" You would have had to sign this contract when you adopted him. Please do keep Licorice safe.

ETA: I reread my post and it came across as curt, it wasn't my intention. I just wanted you to be aware it was in the contract. I'm glad you asked the question :)

Edited by greytluck

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

Mine are always leashed. Breed does not matter to me. Sighthounds or not, the temptation to run is always there, for any breed.

Besides, it is the responsible thing to do. Most of the places we go with our dogs require leashes for all dogs. But beyond that, I never like it when off-lead dogs bound up to me, so I don't want to be one that allows it of my dogs. They are VERY BIG dogs, and as such, can be intimidating to people unaware of their calm temperament.

As for the days when people actively hunted with sighthounds: most people leashed dogs till prey was sighted, then slipped them. This is similar to modern day lure coursing or open field coursing. Also, as has been mentioned, cars did not exist, so that threat was not there. And, in those days, dogs were more or less required to put food on the table. Certain risks had to be accepted. These days, these dogs are our companions. Most of us have jobs that pay us money, whit which we can put food on the table. Thus, since we don't *need* our sighthounds to hunt for us, it is our responsibility to keep them safe. I just don't think there is any comparison between then and now.

*ETA: Last fall, DH and I were at our favorite state park, to lead a bird hike. No one showed up for it, so we hung around the nature center, chatting with the naturalist, and other members of the friends group. A lady burst in, covered in blood, to tell us that her Lab had slipped her collar, and chased a porcupine. (The blood on the lady was from the dog - she had removed as many quills as she could).

We got the lady and her dogs (she had two - one stayed on lead) into the building, and started removing the quills. Let me tell you, those things HURT (I got stabbed a couple times)!

I also worked as a bather for a groomer for about a year. I had to bathe my share of skunked dogs. NOT something I would wish on anyone.

I would NOT want my dogs injured in this way by wildlife. Keeping them on a leash (with a well-fitted collar!) is one way to prevent that, and is an easy thing to do.

Edited by Sighthounds4me

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest greytkidsmom

Greyhounds are taught to run.

They are in their boxes, the gates open and they run as fast as they can. People are usually yelling in the background and they are taught to ignore that (hence recall does not work in stressful times).

As others have said, recall is never 100% anyway and the earlier training that your greyhound has received will "kick" in at some point and they will take off and keep on running and "not be able to find their way home" - as they are sighthounds not "smell". They will IGNORE any noises (like you calling them) and just keep on going.

It might take them seeing an animal, a car backfire, but greyhounds revert to "running" and "ignoring" all else.

IMHO, trusting that your dog will come back when called is betraying your responsibility to keep them as safe as possible at all times.

I am truly sorry that your first postings on this forum are going to be raising such a storm. Please be aware that we are not attacking you, we are all just concerned about the possibility of your letting your dog run loose and the results. Many of us have been involved in Amber alerts which ended both positively and negatively and none of use would want to see others in that situation which is mostly preventable.

Well said.

Guest crazy4greys

I always leash and would never let my dogs off leash no matter how well their recall is. Their life is precious and I would not be able to live with myself if I knew I caused them to be hurt or worse. Plus we have a leash law in our state, not that all owners follow that rule!

My adoption group also has the never let of leash in the adoption contract and asks the question about always being on leash in the adoption application.

A few of my greys come back when I call them in my fenced in yard, but throw a bunny in the mix on the other side of the fence and their hearing is gone!

In the end, why risk it?

Edited by crazy4greys

My two are always on a leash unless they are in the fenced in yard. If the weather is stormy with thunder and they have to go out, I put them on a leash and walk them in the yard. Greyhounds are beautiful to see run off leash, actually breathtaking, but it just isn't worth the risk. I just don't understand why some people want their dogs, all breeds included to be off leash :dunno

gallery_1200_2898_10946.jpg

Guest sja5032

Before I get attacked let me say that I am 100% being leashing greys (and other breeds) 100% of the time unless fenced or for sport.

Here's the deal though, everyone keeps talking about the adoption contracts that state never letting dog off leash, what are the ramifications for not doing this?? IMO they would never hold up in court if the group tried to take the dog back. It like a right to first refusal clause when selling anything, they don't matter and do not hold up in court because once you own something it is yours and no one can say what you do with it (within the law obviously).

I am not saying that they are pointless or anything because for the majority of good people signing something like that means they will obey it for moral reasons, but it just has always bothered me that there is really nothing behind it? Maybe I'm wrong and it would hold up in court and people would have their dog taken away but to me it doesn't seem like it would work. Has anyone else ever thought of this? Maybe its never come up becuase if the dog was taken the people never fought it.

100% leashed out on walks except Dalmatian. He leads the pack with perfect recall. The greys are leashed/harness because of their history of the run. The stand poodle ,I trust the least. She will climb a tree for a squerril,cat ,rat or bird. My first experience with Greyhounds was a friend who had a show Grey. The dog visiting us jumped out of their truck ran up our drive and ran circles around my Springer. I wonder if a Grey never went to training or was AKC the mindset is just "a Dog". My friends have an agility business with Shelties so maybe they more than I do.

Before I get attacked let me say that I am 100% being leashing greys (and other breeds) 100% of the time unless fenced or for sport.

Here's the deal though, everyone keeps talking about the adoption contracts that state never letting dog off leash, what are the ramifications for not doing this?? IMO they would never hold up in court if the group tried to take the dog back. It like a right to first refusal clause when selling anything, they don't matter and do not hold up in court because once you own something it is yours and no one can say what you do with it (within the law obviously).

I am not saying that they are pointless or anything because for the majority of good people signing something like that means they will obey it for moral reasons, but it just has always bothered me that there is really nothing behind it? Maybe I'm wrong and it would hold up in court and people would have their dog taken away but to me it doesn't seem like it would work. Has anyone else ever thought of this? Maybe its never come up becuase if the dog was taken the people never fought it.

You're right - it won't. ;)

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

My last grey ran off leash in an unfenced dog park. I don't believe that you can ever "trust" a dog, but there are dogs that are more predictable, less distractable, and easier to recall than others, regardless of breed. There are plenty of dogs of other breeds that have no business being off leash, because they completely ignore their owners and /or have terrible manners.

My current grey has no desire to run. None. No matter where we take him or how we encourage him, even if he's with a pack of other greys that are running. So for us, being off leash is unnecessary. He's totally happy with his leashed walks.

No matter what you do - even if you never, ever let your dogs off leash, you absolutely should train and continuously practice recall. Every single dog should have good recall, no matter what.

That is my two cents that isn't even worth that.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest UpperHandAndy

I'm actually glad this was posted - I was thinking about asking a question about this earlier today. Andy is leashed 100% of the time, unless in our backyard or for the first time today, in a baseball diamond (and he had no idea what to do lol)....I also signed a leash clause in my contract. I unhook his leash IN the car, and he doesn't step out of the car without it on. Andy has snuck out the door, once by me, and once after my BIL left the door open :angry: and he was "fairly" easy to get back. BUT, I panicked. I was terrified of losing him. SO, that being said, yes, I leash all the time.

My original question was to be something similar - I've seen video and pictures (not so much on here but on you-tube, other grey sites, etc) with dogs froliking in the ocean, around fields, rivers, etc and even one romping around in the snow in their front yard next to the street :eek . I was puzzled because I have always been told it's a big no-no to have one off lead. So, aside from fenced areas, are beaches or watery area supposed to be more secure? You'd sure think so with all the video out there.

My boys are leashed.

I have pictures of my boy loose in the ocean because I swam him out to a sandbar and let him go. He does swim, but we were pretty far from shore so he really had no place to go. The sand bar we were at is HUGE!!!!!

Thank you for that info! I certianly did not want to put anyone on the defense with that question - I really was curious. I think the pictures and videos of hounds having a blast running through waves are awesome. I guess my question was more of a "how could you do this safely" for those of you who have. I will def have to keep my eye out for sandbars! It seems a shame that they can't really go running where ever there is a clearing, but my pup isn't worth the accidents that can happen if I can't do it in a safe way.

Also, lot of the "leashless" photos you see have been Photoshopped to remove the leash. I have also been known to hid leads in creative ways (behind a sitting dog, among brush, for example) for pics.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Also, lot of the "leashless" photos you see have been Photoshopped to remove the leash. I have also been known to hid leads in creative ways (behind a sitting dog, among brush, for example) for pics.

I have also photoshopped pictures of my dog to make it look like he's running off-leash somewhere.... I just cropped him out of a picture of him running off-leash in an enclosed space into an image of a beach or woods etc.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest tinams8

I don't let any of my dogs run off-leash even though they have good recalls. Trying to catch a loose dog is terrifying. I also don't do invisible fences. I will always have a fenced yard for so many reasons.

Guest LoveMyJoseyBean

In busy areas, I always leash. Including on my street, which isn't so bad. While hiking or camping, I have always allowed Josey to be off leash. She has excellent recall and I have never had an issue. A simple whistle from me, and she's back at my side. However, she was never trained to race. I suspect that someone tried to make a coyote dog out of her, but she just didn't have the drive.

For Bertie though, not only did the contract we signed for her prohibit me from allowing her off-leash, I really don't think I could have the same kind of faith that she would come back to me. I have only had her for a bit over a month, and will work on it, so it can be used in an emergency, but I simply couldn't count on it. So for her, no off-leash unfenced areas.

The group could ask for the dog back if they found out an adopter was letting the dog offleash, but I doubt they would win in court if it came to that. I think having adopters sign a contract just keeps the honest people honest.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest Lynnada

I always leash and would never let my dogs off leash no matter how well their recall is. Their life is precious and I would not be able to live with myself if I knew I caused them to be hurt or worse. Plus we have a leash law in our state, not that all owners follow that rule!

My adoption group also has the never let of leash in the adoption contract and asks the question about always being on leash in the adoption application.

A few of my greys come back when I call them in my fenced in yard, but throw a bunny in the mix on the other side of the fence and their hearing is gone!

In the end, why risk it?

Exactly my thoughts.

Guest BrianRke

I love my dogs too much to ever let them off leash in an unsecure area. I guess some people are willing to gamble with their dogs life and limb but Im not one of them.

IF YOU WANT A DOG OFF LEASH, DONT ADOPT A GREYHOUND! :angryfire