Dark Bloody Mucus In Stool?

It's been a long night with Enza who woke me up at 3:00 AM to go outside. She did nothing but eat grass for about 10 minutes and every time I tried to pull her away, she wouldn't budge. She finally pooped - and it was solid.

I brought her in, gave her a pepcid and about five minutes later, she threw up mucus/foam/grass. She finally settled down after that - not a lot of stretching but some hunching up.

At 6:00 I fed her breakfast - mashed potatoes and chicken/a handful of kibble. Her energy perked back up and we went for a walk at 7 where she ran to her friends etc.

She had another bowel movement that was still solidish but had had dark red mucus with it. That was when I panicked and called the vet for today's 4:30 appt. I think I recall that dark red is better than bright red. Any thoughts, etc? I know I could go looking but am exhausted and "dark blood" turned up no results.

Guest SoulsMom

Dark red is better than bright red. (If you can call any blood in the stool good that is) means it's older, digested blood. Unless it is of 'coffee ground' consistency. That's BAD

Bright red indicates active bleeding. Sounds like colitis. Hope She is feeling better soon!

Edited by SoulsMom

We've seen this 2 different times with Rocket. Our vet says that the bloody mucus is part of the stomach lining that is inflamed or irritated, and the body needs to get rid of it. We ended up using a very strong dose of Flagyl and had to change foods once we eliminated everything else as a possible cause using stool samples, bloodwork etc.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Dark red is better than bright red. (If you can call any blood in the stool ‘good’ that is) means it's older, digested blood. Unless it is of 'coffee ground' consistency. That's BAD

Bright red indicates active bleeding. Sounds like colitis. Hope She is feeling better soon!

Oh no - just regular old dark red bloody mucus that causes a heart attack. I did let my dogwalker know so he could watch for anything.

I did switch her food a few weeks ago and she has decided that dirt is the best thing ever, but hoping it is "just" colitis.

A lot what like Dustin gets when he has one of his "episodes"....the change in food could have triggered it if you never had a problem before. Flagyl and Sucralfate have helped when this has happened. Good luck.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I've been going through similar issues with Merlin recently. Hope Enza recovers soon. I know how worrying this can be :(:grouphug

:goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

How is she this morning Nichole? Hoping you both got some sleep. :goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

She's better but her energy is still not all there. Usually if it's 50 in the morning, she is hyper but she is just sort of....quiet. I figure it's from the Flagyl but confirmation would be nice. :)

Is she better now? I asked for an update and then promptly went camping. :P

I've never seen flagyl affect a pup, but every dog is different. Seems more likely if she had stomach issues she might be a bit dehydrated or weak from that. Hopefully it's moot and she's better by now. :goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

How is she doing today?

I have seen flagyl do that. Could also be still upset innards, or a combination of the two. As long as just slow and kinda lazy, I wouldn't worry.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest LindsaySF

Lily went through a bout of this last week. I was up every 2 hours several nights in a row.... I did 7 days of Panacur and a bland diet and she's fine. :) She was pretty sluggish and lethargic too, the diarrhea took a lot out of her. Hope Enza feels better soon.

Better - played/walked but still a wee bit slow and lazy. I started her on a bit of kibble again after solid stools and no more blood for a few days and she promptly went really soft again. She did hang out all day outside yesterday with people at a BBQ so I'd bet money that she was slipped/stole something when I wasn't looking. But back to bland for a bit longer.

I hope Enza is continuing to improve!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.