Beth Is Having Sutures Today

Well, this morning was nine days since Beth got a laceration on her front toe, and it looked well healed enough to me for us to go back to the dog park. Big mistake. Beth has a wonderful time running, really went flat out several times, but when I got home and took off her bootie I found she'd reopened the wound and it had bled a good bit. :(

So we went back to the vet about an hour ago -- he said the laceration pulled apart and is back to Square One basically. He gave me the options, basically just start the healing process over or put in a couple of sutures (which is what he initially wanted to do the day she got the cut, but then he changed his mind). I went for the sutures, despite the scary anesthesia thing, though he clearly knows what he's doing with that. All week I've thought it would have healed better with sutures. I thought maybe the sock rubbing her toe had reopened it, but he said no, it was the flexion and extension of the toe -- that most dogs would have healed by now. But I guess those long greyhound toes and the way greyhounds run puts more stress on it.

I am so so bummed. Now with stitches it will be another 2-3 weeks to heal, and she may have to wear a neck collar if the socks aren't adequate to make her leave it alone. And I HATE her not being able to run (or socialize with her dog friends -- and me with my human friends -- at the park).

FWIW he also said the EMT Gel which I put on the wound (because people rave here about it) delayed the healing, that it's not helpful.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Well, drat. Hopefully she won't need the collar.

The 3 weeks will be a pain, but fingers crossed that is the end of the problem!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Poor Beth. :(

When Thane cut the thin tissue deep in the bottom center of his foot and the stitches didn't hold, the vet used glue. It worked.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

She's home. Woozy. The vet said her foot looks good, he was able to get two sutures under the skin. Her toe is shaved though! So he said -- her foot is wrapped and I need to bring her back in tomorrow to have the wrap removed.

Best wishes to her...hope it heals quickly!

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

Back from the vet where we got the wrap removed -- her toe looks good, very clean and tight where the laceration was. Weird to see it shaved -- looks like a toe from E.T. or something. She has buried subcuticular sutures so she won't need them to be removed, though we're going back for a recheck in a week. Wish we'd gotten it done a week ago, though.

She did well recovering from anesthesia last night and seems like her usual self today. :) So far she still doesn't seem like she wants to mess with the toe when the sock is on.

Edited by PrairieProf

Guest Houndstown

Soooo sorry for Beth. We've been going through somethign similar with Pre. He ended up losing part of his toe due to a deep laceration. It's been a BEAR to heal. He's getting better now but I feel your pain. Send thoughts of good thoughts from down our way!!

Here's her poor toesie now, from this morning. It actually looks a lot better -- cleaner -- than when it was healing the first time around without the sutures. It's just going to be hard to be careful and restrict her for several weeks when she feels perfectly fine!

Happily, though, she shows no more inclination to mess with it than she did before, and the sock is all she needs on it, plus a Pawz boot outside.

downsized_0424010656.jpg

Edited by PrairieProf

Good thoughts for Beth!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Had a one-week check on Beth's toe this morning ... the vet said it was healing excellently! Part of the scab came off on our morning walk (because it was ready) so he could see it knit together underneath. :yay We'll check it in another week and he thinks she should be "good to go" after that (though I'll likely wait longer before letting her run -- we're going to GEM the following weekend and I don't want any chance of her messing herself up again beforehand).

Meanwhile he said it's OK to step up the walks this week -- I am glad of that and I bet Beth will be too. I saw today that she's gained 1.5 pounds since this began -- she's still in her appropriate-weight range (59.7) but any more would be heading towards a little heavier than ideal.

Edited by PrairieProf

Had our two-week check this afternoon -- the vet said Beth's toe looks "perfect" and she's cleared to run! :) We can also stop messing with the sock and rubber bootie, yay.

I'm a little nervous about that (going to wait to Monday at least), but he swears there's no way she can reopen the fully formed scar tissue. I'd consider waiting until after we get back from next weekend's trip to GEM, but Beth is getting a little hard to handle sometimes on leash with all the pent up energy! I won't take her to the dog park next week, just a small fenced area we go sometimes where she can't pick up as much speed. I told the vet too that the first time I let her run again had to be at a time he's in the office, just in case!

Edited by PrairieProf

Yay, Beth! So glad to hear she got the all-clear.

Edited by Kestrel

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

Guest Profgumby

Well that is good news! One of the things I have learned is you cannot let the dog tell you when it is okay to go about business as usual!

And good idea to hold Beth back a bit longer, at least in my opinion.

Glad to hear that she is doing well!!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.