Please Think Good Thoughts For Nola

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to hear Nola is home and will be thinking good thoughts for a speedy recovery. Curious...I know you were looking for vet referrals for Nola's lump a while back, which vet did you decide to have perform the surgery?

Edited by LuvEarsies

Bernadette with Jak, Horizon, Kota, Barnaby, Madison, Earl, Tiggy, Finney, Tommy, Woody, Tyler and Lincoln all at the bridge

I ended up going with VCA Kirkwood Hwy and Dr. Herrman did the surgery. I was not prepared to be dealing with a drain, but these things happen. I need to go out tomorrow and buy one of those inflatable e-collars. I called around and both Petco and Petsmart are selling them for around $35 which seems a bit much but otherwise I can't see leaving her home alone when I go back to work on Monday. Unless I day board her at VCA, I suppose that's an option. Or would anyone like to borrow a Franken-Nola Monday through Thursday daytime? ha ha.

Wonderful news!

sometimes a lump is just a lump--I'm holding that thought as I light tonight's candle.

I'm also envisioning smacking your nonhelpful co-worker, truth be told.

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

I ended up going with VCA Kirkwood Hwy and Dr. Herrman did the surgery. I was not prepared to be dealing with a drain, but these things happen. I need to go out tomorrow and buy one of those inflatable e-collars. I called around and both Petco and Petsmart are selling them for around $35 which seems a bit much but otherwise I can't see leaving her home alone when I go back to work on Monday. Unless I day board her at VCA, I suppose that's an option. Or would anyone like to borrow a Franken-Nola Monday through Thursday daytime? ha ha.

Try making a towel e-collar, awhile ago someone posted the directions on GT but I can't find the thread. A google search came up with these directions posted on NGAP's website. Sending good wishes.

Edited by LuvEarsies

Bernadette with Jak, Horizon, Kota, Barnaby, Madison, Earl, Tiggy, Finney, Tommy, Woody, Tyler and Lincoln all at the bridge

I think he did Patrick's emergency shoulder surgery when Dr. DeMarco wasn't there and he did a really great job. Patrick had the drain in after that and it wasn't really that messy, so maybe it won't be so bad after awhile? I would lend you my bite-not-collar but I think it's probably too big since it's a little bit big on Patrick.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

What about using a muzzle with ductape on the front? I did that for Biggy after his tail amputation. Glad she is home and doing well.

Yes, or a poop cup on the muzzle? Pogo is in head jail while his stapled spots heal. He's not thrilled, but it's better than going back to the vet to get re-stapled (or, in Nola's case, having to get another drain put in, etc.).

I'm sitting here thinking about last year at Dewey, stroking her lovely silky fur, feeling her soft breath on my face, and that shy grace of hers. Sending you both peaceful healing thoughts!

:bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest IrskasMom

How is this beautiful Girl today ??? When Morty had a Bitwound on his Frontchest,I cut up a white older TShirt from my Son and left the Neckopening intact and cut it so that I could tie it on his back . He could not reach his ouwee and it healed very well. Hope she is feeling better. :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:kiss2 and another Cookie for her :dogcookie

I will be looking for some more Pictures of this Beautiful Girl :P

Edited by IrskasMom

What about using a muzzle with ductape on the front? I did that for Biggy after his tail amputation. Glad she is home and doing well.

Yes, or a poop cup on the muzzle? Pogo is in head jail while his stapled spots heal. He's not thrilled, but it's better than going back to the vet to get re-stapled (or, in Nola's case, having to get another drain put in, etc.).

I'm sitting here thinking about last year at Dewey, stroking her lovely silky fur, feeling her soft breath on my face, and that shy grace of hers. Sending you both peaceful healing thoughts!

:bighug

Thanks, Xan. Nola adores you!

Nola has never worn a muzzle, so introducing one to her now might freak her out. I can also see her using it to scratch at her chest and thus the stitches and drain. Sending more healing thoughts to your boys.

How is this beautiful Girl today ??? When Morty had a Bitwound on his Frontchest,I cut up a white older TShirt from my Son and left the Neckopening intact and cut it so that I could tie it on his back . He could not reach his ouwee and it healed very well. Hope she is feeling better. :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:kiss2 and another Cookie for her :dogcookie

Nola is doing alright today. She is so bored, though! I know she badly wants to go running in the yard, but that will be some time. I have used a t-shirt for taking her outside, to keep the wound area clean, but it sort of presses on the drain which defeats the purpose of it so I take it off back inside. I am staying home with her all weekend and just keeping an eye on her, as soon as she starts licking I tell her to stop. When I need to go do something elsewhere in the house I have fashioned a towel e-collar (that she hates, hates, hates!). I think I will run out tomorrow and get one of those inflatable e-collars and see how that goes.

Photos

Nola, morning of surgery:

100_1623.jpg

On the way to the animal hospital, very worried look on her face:

100_1628.jpg

WARNING! The following photos are after surgery and while the wound area is all nice and cleaned up, these photos are not for the squeamish!

Resting:

100_1636.jpg

Seriously, you want me to sleep with this on overnight?:

100_1652.jpg

No more lump, and beautiful fur shaved off:

100_1644.jpg

Tell Nola she's still beautiful and all her fur will grow back soon enough. :wub:

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest IrskasMom

Gentle Hugs and good Thoughts and Prayers for Nola :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug I surely Appreciate the Pictures,she is still a Beauty :wub::wub:

Edited by IrskasMom

Guest Houndstown

So glad the surgery went well. I'm sure Nola will be back up and running in no time. It's probably harder on you than her. I know Pre's recent surgery has been rough for us! Sending well wishes from NC!!

Wow! That's some incision!! Sorry if I missed it, but did they send the lump out for pathology?

Her pitiful expression in her towel collar is priceless.

:grouphug , :kiss2 , and a :cookie for beautiful Nola.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Thanks for the continued support. The vet did whatever testing on it at the animal hospital and confirmed it was just a fatty lump.

I have stayed home all weekend with her, except for a really quick trip to the grocery store and a stop at Petco for an inflatable e-collar (more on that in a moment). I don't feel comfortable leaving her home alone tomorrow while I am work (and the next day, and all week) and am worrying about that. I can't leave the towel e-collar on her, her neck gets too warm. The inflatable collar she has already managed to get off once and she is so miserable in it. You are supposed to use a "normal" dog collar with it which I do not have so I am using gauze to tie it to her neck. Thank goodness for my boyfriend who came over last night and blew it up! More pathetic photos:

100_1657.jpg

100_1667.jpg

Also, something I need an opinion about. Last night I noticed a bruised & slightly swollen area, is this normal or cause for concern?

100_1654.jpg

I would expect some bruising and the swelling may be a seroma forming. Is the drain still seeping fluid?

Oh, I wanted to add that it might help to apply a warm compress to the area for a few mintues a couple of times a day.

Edited by tbhounds