Dog Door Training

Hopefully, I am just being impatient. I purchased a Patio Pacific dog door for sliding glass doors. It has been installed for 12 days now. I can get them to go through if I hold the flap up. If it is closed or not held up high enough, they are afraid to go through. I have used high value treats to encourage them through the door and we do this daily, progressively lowering the flap. I do let it run down their backs as they go through.

There is a good magnetic seal on the flap and it does require a little umph to get it open. However, my cat is able to use the door without assistance. Are there any other tricks to try or am I not giving them enough time? They are only allowed out in the yard through the dog door now. There are no other alternatives for them. I also feed them outside, so they know good things await on the other side of the door. I am not sure if it is the weight, the fact that they have to "do" something to get out or that the flap in not clear and they cannot see directly on the other side.

Between the indoor only cats and the weather, it is not the time to just keep the flap up all the time. Besides, the idea of going through the opening itself doesn't seem to be an issue.

Help! Thanks

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Can you make the flap non magnetic for a few days so they can figure out they can push through it easily? Then once they are used to that you can put the magnet back and they should be used to pushing through enough to try harder

------

Jessica

Guest Tequila

Do you have a link (or photo ) showing what this dog door looks like?

I wonder if it might be possible to change the opague flap for a CLEAR flap, so they can see through it, to the other side?

Piper made the dog door easy for me, as he has made most things easy, bless him. :wub: He just seemed to "get it" and after a couple of days of holding the flap and tempting him with treats, he was fine. I think it helped him to know that I was on the other side of the flap even more than that there were treats to be had since he likes to be where I am. The other two hounds have picked it up immediately from watching Piper.

Perhaps occasionally confine the indoor cats and prop the flap open a bit so they don't have to push so much? I like JAJ2010's idea of blocking the magnet for a bit if possible to make the process easier for them. Maybe manually help by moving hte flap just enough to break the magnetic seal and try to get them to push it the rest of the way and gradually reduce the assistance as they aget comfortable with going in and out?

In terms of needing to see through the flaps--my dog doors have double flaps that are flexible and slightly see-through in that light comes through but they really don't allow the dogs to see through them in any meaningful way so I'm not sure that improved visibility will help, unless you think that is really throwing your crew for a loop.

Do you have one hound who seems closer to "getting it" than the others? Maybe concentrate your training time and effort on that dog in the hope that s/he will train the others?

Good luck! Piper says to tell them the "Get wif da program you guys! Try it. You'll like it!"

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Can you make the flap non magnetic for a few days so they can figure out they can push through it easily?

I agree this might be a good idea. If you can't remove the magnet, putting a few layers of masking tape over the magnet will make it easier to open.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest sheila

perhaps you could try putting them on a leash and threading the leash through the door and lead them through it. Or you could have them stand in front of the door and gently nudge them from behind. Both of these have worked for me.

In my house all I'd have to do would be to yell "SQUIRREL" a few times.....they'd go rocketing into the backyard to get that rodent without a second thought of the dog door. :rofl

In all seriousness though, I'm jealous of your dog door. Long story short, I'm renting and desprately want one but it won't currently work for a variety or reasons.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Can you make the flap non magnetic for a few days so they can figure out they can push through it easily? Then once they are used to that you can put the magnet back and they should be used to pushing through enough to try harder

This is the problem for Poot and Dodger. The OP is right, the magnets on these doors are very strong. Like the OP my cats can push through it but the dogs don't seem to understand they really need to push hard to get it to move. So I am going to also remove the magnets ( when it gets warmer in upstate NY) and try that. I think Dodger will get it with a little food encouragement. Pooter will be a bit more of a challenge. OP, 12 days is not long. Pooter is in her third year here, Dodger his second. I had one hound who never, ever learned to do the dog door. I think he was the exception rather than the rule. Most greyhounds can easily learn a dog door.

Keep at it.

Edit to add I have the same door as the OP.

Edited by gazehund

I have had my two new 11 year olds for six weeks. The girl figured it out in a week. The guy still doesn't get it! I replaced the flap with a light weight blanket last week and he just started to go through it a few days ago. I have five dogs, so sometimes he just follows the pack through the door. Last night he was on the outside of the door by himself and cried to get in. I made him do it himself, but did lift the corner of the blanket so he knew where to put his nose. I have a two piece flap with a magnetic seal. I plan to leave the blanket there till Easter weekend when I am home for 4 days. Then I will put the center flap in and hope that he can figure it out. There is a small space all around it where the outside flap goes so he will be able to see the other side of the door. I need to get this done before I need the air conditioning on.

The blanket is just a piece of a fleece throw cut a little larger than the hole. I just poked the screws through the fabric and hung it where the flap goes. It is easy to push through it.

I tried the leash thing and pushing him through, but I'm afraid that he may be terrified of the door and give up. This is working for me so far. Good luck!

Maybe manually help by moving hte flap just enough to break the magnetic seal and try to get them to push it the rest of the way and gradually reduce the assistance as they get comfortable with going in and out?
This is how I've done it with 5 dogs. It sounds like you're doing everything right; eventually it will "click" with one of the dogs and then they'll both be using it.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Thanks for the suggestions! If I do release the magnet, one will stick his nose in there and get it going. I still make sure that it won't swing back and whack another one in the nose. While I love my crew, none of them will be invited to join Mensa! I tried covering the magnet last night, but it's at the bottom of the flap itself and it won't shut then, nor will it swing all the way through. Patience must be the key - something I don't have in abundance!

The visual aspect was because for one, I have to stick my face in the opening before he will come through. Now, to be honest, the littermates tried to go through the door at the same time (and the same time that I had the slider open so I could go out) and they shoved the entire door off the track and into the yard. He now has staples in his leg and is a little gun shy. However, knowing him, if his brother will go through, he isn't going to be outdone.

Once the weather breaks, I will try to keep the flap up and use something else (like a teatowel and progressively heavier) until they get used to pushing through.

Gazehound - it is a nice door, but that flap does have some weight to it. So far, the dang cat hasn't figured out how to get back in, thankfully. Prime hunting season for him.

Cindy

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest thedozer

Sounds like the same door we have and it took Dozer about 3 weeks to figure it out. I thought he would never get it but he finally did. Hang in there!