Help! My Dog Can't Walk!

Meeka will be 12 in May. I just got her last month. She has kidney disease and some vision issues, but has been healthy. She runs with the others in the yard. This afternoon she had her first appointment with my vet because she was running out of her meds. No problems found. She was very stressed about going in my car and going to the vet. She did the split on the tile floor in the waiting room and also had to scrabble to get herself back on the table after she tried to jump off. She was fine in the car and ok at home. She didnt eat at 5:30 but was still somewhat stressed.

About 20 minutes ago I found her standing on a dog bed panting and rocking back and forth. She was holding her head at a funny angle and seemed to be trying to move her feet. I got her settled and left her alone to give her a chance to rest. I heard her get up and try to go into the other room. She kind of bounced off the walls in the hallway. I got her back on the bed but she wanted to go out. She walked to the door but I had to help her down the stairs. Her legs wouldn't go in the right direction. She had her tail tucked and fell several times. I had to carry her back into the house. I have her back on the dog bed now. She is still panting but not shaking as much.

Any ideas? Anything I can do for her tonight? My vet is closed. Anyone had this happen?

(Horse people...she walks like a horse with EPM. ) Looks like something neurological going on. Could it just be pain from her fall?

Oh no :( My Isis had something similar. It was chalked up to a "neurologic event". She did not start getting better until about 24 hours later and she still to this day walks a little "wonky".

I did race her up to the vet and she got a steroid shot. Only you know if it is an emergency or not. The panting could just be from the stress of it all. I will be thinking good thoughts for you. :grouphug

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Do you have an E-Vet clinic?

If so, I'd get in her there in ASAP.

Sending positive thoughts!!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Several things come to mind. One is PAIN from her spill, she may have pinched a nerve. Secondly is some sort of vestibular issue (inner ear) throwing off her balance and causing the rocking and odd head movement. Third is FCE fibrocartilagious (?sp) embolus which is a clot (fatty tissue not a blood clot) which lodges in the spine and causes neuro symptoms. I would consider a visit to a e-vet if you have one nearby.

Barbara
Majestic and Ranger

"If you want to hear the patter of little feet I'll put shoes on my dogs."

I agree that if you have an emergency vet handy I'd take her. Also, if she will tolerate it you can help her walking by using a towel to help support her while she walks. Some dogs will allow this others freak out.

Please let us know how she is doing.

Sending prayers and good thoughts for you and Meeka.

june

I'm glad you're taking her to the vet. Please keep us posted, OK? :grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Sending prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug:hope :hope :hope:candle :candle :candle

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest LokisMom

Depending on what the e-vet says, don't rule out taking her to a holistic/chiropractor for dogs. My Clark was paralyzed for some unknown reason. The regular vet and e-vet couldn't figure out what it was. A disc had slipped. We carried him, unable to walk, into the holistic vet (he'd been that way for days) and he walked out on his own and jumped up into my car after a minor adjustment.

I am not suggesting this is her problem. Just another avenue to explore depending on dx from e-vet. I'm sorry for you and her. I know how scary it can be when your dog suddenly can't walk.

*hugs*

Just got back. Vestibular disease.

We had to carry her in to the vet and back out to the car, but she is already walking some. Every time the vet tried to square up all 4 feet so she could stand, one foot would not cooperate and she would go down. The vet said that he could tell by her eyes dancing around. He said that sometimes the head stays at an angle. Too soon to tell. I had her half inch thick medical file, but found no mention of prior incidents. Hope she never has another. We put her on the ground when we got home and she started to walk. She went sideways at times and fell once, but wanted to keep going. We let her walk for about 5 minutes because she was getting less stressed as she discovered that she could walk. She didn't vomit since she didn't eat tonight, so they didn't even give her meds for her stomach. She is sleeping on the couch now and her legs are in a more natural position. They are faxing the report to my vet and I'll check in with him in the morning. She should be a lot better by then...if the diagnosis is correct.

Thanks for all the advice and good wishes. With four 11 year old dogs in the house, I'll probably be back in H&M looking for advice in the future. Night all...

Irene and Meeka

I hope you both get some rest tonight. Sending good thoughts your way. :)

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Our Hobbes was diagnosed with Vestibular disease when he was 11. He had the same symptoms and recovered within a day or two. It is very frightening to see in the first stages. We were given a pill that was very much like a "sea-sickness" medication to help treat the disorientation. You could check with your vet to see if this will speed the recovery.

Hopefully Meeka wil be feeling a lot better after some sleep and rest!

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Meeka is walking on her own today. She is still unsteady and her head is tilted, but she is much calmer now that she can walk. She ate very little, but did drink and take her meds. I have the exercise pen closed off so she can go out to pee but not run around. Hope to never see this again.

Glad that Meeka is walking on her own. What a scary episode for both of you. Hope you can both rest and relax a bit today.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

One of our dogs had this...caused by stenosis. We did acupuncture with her and within a few months everything was okay. However, the downside is that it is not cured, just making them comfortable. A vet in our area does acupuncture.