Devastating News In Our Household...

Guest ellieb

I'm sorry to hear of the diagnosis and understand what you are going through with the countdown. We sent our girl to the big leather sofa in the sky on Sunday morning. She had FCE, and FHO 2 months ago, broke the same femur 12 days ago, and had a sore near the incesion. The vet wanted to check the sore and was feeling her leg and noticed a third break. I was just lost. This was Saturday morning. The Dr. came over midmorning Sunday to help her through. Sophie (our grey) told my wife with her eyes that she was ready to be set free. I was trying to not be selfish also. I had spent the last 24 hours with her crying and laying next to her. It was after she had passed and we loaded her from my back yard to the stretcher that I had realized how frail and skinny she was. She was tired and ready to go run with her friends waiting at the bridge.

That said, PLEASE find a way to not spent the last days/weeks/months being sad. This was my biggest challenge and I failed, but I did what I could do-be with her. We have friends that had 2 lost to cancer.

So sorry for what yall and your pup is going through.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ellieb

more :bighug and :candle

it sounds like you have an awesome vet!

I have always liked him, but this situation made me really appreciate him!

Guest ellieb

I'm sorry to hear of the diagnosis and understand what you are going through with the countdown. We sent our girl to the big leather sofa in the sky on Sunday morning. She had FCE, and FHO 2 months ago, broke the same femur 12 days ago, and had a sore near the incesion. The vet wanted to check the sore and was feeling her leg and noticed a third break. I was just lost. This was Saturday morning. The Dr. came over midmorning Sunday to help her through. Sophie (our grey) told my wife with her eyes that she was ready to be set free. I was trying to not be selfish also. I had spent the last 24 hours with her crying and laying next to her. It was after she had passed and we loaded her from my back yard to the stretcher that I had realized how frail and skinny she was. She was tired and ready to go run with her friends waiting at the bridge.

That said, PLEASE find a way to not spent the last days/weeks/months being sad. This was my biggest challenge and I failed, but I did what I could do-be with her. We have friends that had 2 lost to cancer.

So sorry for what yall and your pup is going through.

I'm so sorry for your loss. :( It is never easy letting a beloved friend go.

I am spending almost every day...all day with her. We stroll around the backyard, especially if it is sunny. I drag a dog bed into whatever room I need to be in, so that she can follow.

I had a meeting last night and was gone for 4 hours. My mom, DH & DD(17) were home. Mom said it was awful. Indigo would not settle down. She paced and roamed. Whined and panted. She did not like her momma being away.

Luckily, I am a substitute teacher. I have 4 days booked (in advance) in April. Otherwise, I am not taking jobs right now. I feel SOOOOO fortunate that I am able to do this. Thank God for DH being the breadwinner!

Again, my messages from GT are bright spots in every day. Keep them coming! Big hugs to all of you and your hounds.

E

Sending more light and prayers to you and Indigo. :hope Take lots of pictures and cherish every moment with her. :heart

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I fixed Sirocco a strawberry shortcake (with whippie cream) every night after the vet told us the lump on his shoulder was OS. Spoiled him rotten with lots of hugs and luvins. We found that cream cheese was good for hiding his pain pills. What helped the most when he left us to join the all-star food filching team at the bridge was knowing that we were not alone in our grief. So many here have been through it before and knew exactly what we were feeling. Sending :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

I fixed Sirocco a strawberry shortcake (with whippie cream) every night after the vet told us the lump on his shoulder was OS.

For Batman (different type of cancer), we had ice cream every night.

I am glad you and your girlie are getting some time together. Sending along more hugs, for both of you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest LokisMom

We lost a senior to OS. We made him as comfortable as possible for as long as we could then let him go. I can't even find words to describe.

He lived about 3 months after the dx. We pretty much spoiled him rotten those last few months. We didn't have a special meal per se but we let him filch table scraps off out plates and gave him tons of treats and let him get away with more than I normally would have. We took his favorite stuffy with him when it was time and he passed snuggled up with it. It was surprisingly peaceful.

I'm sorry you and Indigo are going through this. Hugs to you and to her.

Oh and the only way I can get Tramadol in my boy is to hold open the mouth, poke the pill down the throat and hold his mouth until he swallows. I haven't found a single food he'll take it in. He even drop treats on the floor and noses and paws through them to check for pills! I don't think he trusts me not to try to trick him. I hope you can find something that works. Maybe something like fish? Sardines or some such? Something that smells stronger than the pill?

Guest Mom2Melanie

I'm so sorry to hear of your news. We had the same diagnosis last night for my girl, Melanie. She just turned 11 so we too are avoiding the "heroic measures". I know our girls will let us know when it's time. Like you, I'm just trying to make sure I give her lots of extra love and attention until that time comes. This stupid cancer attacks our babies' bones and our hearts!

Guest ellieb

As the day went on, yesterday, Indigo's limp got worse and worse. Her shoulder seems to have dropped and she is almost dragging that foot. *sigh*

I sat on the floor to watch TV last night so she could lay up against me. She paces and whines before finally lying down. Sometimes she gets right back up again and it starts all over. When I took her out to pee before bed, she could barely get down the 3 steps.

She woke up 2-3 times last night. I gave her an extra dose of Tramadol at 2:15 AM. It was painful for me to watch her. She just could not get really comfortable. She never did seem to really relax.

She did slightly better with the steps this morning. Ate her full breakfast.

She seems less her happy self. More anxious.

Is this my sign? I don't want to keep her around if her pain is far outweighing her happiness. What is the point?

Thoughts?

I think the question is whether she is comfortable or not.

My heart goes out to you and your precious girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Shermanator

I think the question is whether she is comfortable or not.

My heart goes out to you and your precious girl.

In my opinion, I agree. We lost Sherman and Patton both to OS within 6 weeks of each other @ 7 months ago. Everyone said in my heart, 'I'd know' when it was time and 'the dogs would tell me.' I saw it in both Sherman and Patton's eyes that it was time. Physically, Sherman stopped wanting to go outside, it was too tiring and painful to get through the dog door. Going outside to lounge was his favorite thing to do. He'd layout all day, and sleep outside at night. One day he looked out the sliding glass door, and gave this sad sigh, like he wanted to go out, but couldn't do it. The next day, we let him go. As for Patton, it was a matter of his pain level. He couldn't walk. At first we were running Valley Fever tests, which took three days to return. Those 3 days, his pain increased, and he simply stopped losing the leg. As soon as the VF test came back negative, we let him go.

For us, it was a quality of life. We wanted to keep both of their pain levels managed, without over medicating them, we wanted them to still be able to enjoy their activities. We also wanted both boys to walk into the vet under their own power. Our opinion was if we had to carry them into the vet, we waited too long, and the pain was too much. We didn't want them to suffer. We were also concerned about them breaking a leg. We tried to balance all of that, pain, & quality of life.

When it was time, for me it was an easy decision. I struggled with it for the weeks after diagnosis, but when I saw they were ready, and their quality of life was declining, it was an easy decision, I did not want them to suffer.

On both Sherman and Patton's last night with us, we had a party for them. Lots of family, picture taking, and love and hugs. Lots of ice cream & Mc Donald's. We lost Sherman 2 1/2 weeks after diagnosis, and Patton 5 days after diagnosis.

I am so sorry this is happening to Indigo. I know how hard it is. I am crying again as I write this. I wanted to do right by my boys, and I did.

I hate typing this, but I wanted to share my experience.

Guest ellieb

I don't know what I would do without you folks. Hearing from other hound-lovers that have been in this same crappy situation...it helps.

Talked to my vet, tonight. He is coming over tomorrow afternoon when his office hours are over. Should be around 2:00. It is time to say good-bye to my sweet, beautiful girl. (crying as I type this)

Tonight, she had extra treats including a McDonald's double cheeseburger. :) I napped on the floor with her this afternoon. We stood on the patio and looked at the stars...one last time. Well, I looked at the stars. She leaned on me and got neck rubbings. :wub:

Tomorrow will be difficult, but it is my last gift to her. She will leave the pain behind and take a piece of my heart with her.

:brokenheart

Sending big fat warm hugs for both of you.

Tomorrow will be difficult, but it is my last gift to her. She will leave the pain behind and take a piece of my heart with her.

:brokenheart

I'll be thinking of you and Indigo tomorrow and holding you both close to my heart :sad1 .

:grouphug:brokenheart:grouphug

I'm so sorry :grouphug Unfortunately there are many here that know EXACTLY what you're going through right now, myself included :(

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--