Tripe

Wow, please don't invite me over to eat. I don't even want to imagine the smell.

B.G. Before Grain also makes a canned tripe that Bu LOVES. My link sells dried green tripe, that doesn't smell too bad and I have crumbled it up over a bowl of kibble to get a dog to eat.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bleached tripe is an integral part of Menudo, but you gotta have the calves feet, peppers, veggies and usually hominy.

The Fiesta grocery chain by my house occasionaly sells Menudo kits in the meat section with tripe, split calves hooves, onions, peppers and garlic in a tidy package.

Taco Cabana, the fast food chain on the corner serves it on weekends.

Here is a Menudo recipe....

1 calf's foot (about 1 to 1 1/2 pounds)

2 pounds honeycomb tripe

1 large onion

3 cloves garlic, peeled

6 peppercorns

2 teaspoons salt, or to taste

4 quarts of water

3 large chiles anchos

A large chile poblano, peeled or 2 canned, peeled green chiles

1/2 cup canned hominy (1 pound) drained

Salt as necessary

1 scant teaspoon oregano

Have the butcher cut the calf's foot into four pieces. Cut the tripe into small squares. Put them into the pan with the rest of the ingredients. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Lower the flame and simmer uncovered for about 2 hours, or until the tripe and foot are just tender but not too soft. Meanwhile, toast the chilies well. Slit them open and remove the seeds and veins from the chile poblano, cut it into strips, and add to the meat while it is cooking. Remove the pieces of calf's foot from the pen, and when they are cool enough to

handle, strip off the fleshy parts. Chop them roughly and return them to the pan. Add hominy and continue cooking the menudo slowly, still uncovered, for another 2 hours.

I have never been brave enough to eat Menudo at a respected fast food chain much less attempt it myself. My neighbors make it every Sunday without fail. :sick

Have fed Tripplet and they liked it but it was really pricy for a treat.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

When my parents lived in San Antonio, there was a little Mexican place down the street that only made menudo on Sundays. There were lines down the street every Sunday and they always ran out :blink:

I've never tried it either, and now that I know about the calves' feet, I plan to keep it that way :lol

edited to add, I'm glad your cake didn't end up tasting like tripe :)

Edited by Remolacha

Guest Swifthounds

It won't hurt them, but the white stuff has no nutritional benefit. I imagine if you tried to cook green tripe you wouldn't, uh, want to live in your house anymore for a few days....

Well, to be fair, it does have nutritional benefit, it just doesn't have the benefits of raw green tripe (insanely attractive to most dogs, some digestive enzymes, proteins that are easier to digest). It would still be better fed raw (or as raw as it can be once bleached/scalded) for both digestibility and nutrition, but even cooked and bleached it's ok.

I do know people cook the bleached kind (someone eats it, right?), but I can't imagine the smell.

Guest bellenzo

Tripe is also a favorite in Italy. In Rome they have a dish called tripa alla Romana (sp?), which is a wonderful pasta with slices of tripe. It's actually pretty good. (There is also a great Julia Childs episode, one of the old black and white shows, in which she prepares tripe. As always she made it sound like the greatest delicacy in the world.

I put green tripe on Summer's kibble this morning, figuring it would get her to gobble it all down. Nope. She actually sucked the tripe off of the kibbles and 98% of the time just spat the kibble back out.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

I put green tripe on Summer's kibble this morning, figuring it would get her to gobble it all down. Nope. She actually sucked the tripe off of the kibbles and 98% of the time just spat the kibble back out.

Oh boy....that's what EZ did this morning with the white tripe. I was hoping that the green would work better!!! They are just way too smart for their own good - and for our good!!! :lol

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Oh boy....that's what EZ did this morning with the white tripe. I was hoping that the green would work better!!! They are just way too smart for their own good - and for our good!!! :lol

:o:angry::o:huh

Maybe try the canned Tripett...

I put some water on the kibble, add the tripett and stir it all up...so it's like gravy.

How about just plain Tripett?

The can does say it is not to be meant as the dogs sole diet, but if it gets them to eat....

We started Bandit with just the Tripett + a bit of canned medi-diet stuff from the vet and very gradually over a week started adding in small amounts of kibble.

Good luck!!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

:o:angry::o:huh

Maybe try the canned Tripett...

I put some water on the kibble, add the tripett and stir it all up...so it's like gravy.

How about just plain Tripett?

The can does say it is not to be meant as the dogs sole diet, but if it gets them to eat....

We started Bandit with just the Tripett + a bit of canned medi-diet stuff from the vet and very gradually over a week started adding in small amounts of kibble.

Good luck!!

I did add the water and stirred and pressed and stirred and flipped. It was a thing of beauty. I couldn't BELIEVE she managed to pick that tripe out. If I put canned meat on her kibble, she actually doesn't pick it out like that and eats more kibble. I'm thinking she was picking the tripe out because it is sooooo wonderful and high value. I'll try to find the canned stuff.

Lisa B.

Guest Swifthounds

It's amazing what they can pick out sometimes. Our IG, Mocha, will take her coarsely ground tripe and lift it delicately one small piece at a time and shake it violently to get off as much of the vegetation as possible. I've seen wolves do that with the stomach contents of their prey, but watching a 9# IG do it is pretty comical.

The first time I ever had Phở I ordered it with tripe and tendon, that was a bit much.

The Peruvian chicken place near me has Cau Cau and it's delicous.

http://peru-recipes.com/2008/04/cau-cau-criollo-creole-cau-cau

Edited by Pepperjack

Guest SpicyMom

We do sometimes cook the green tripe (especially if we give the tripe and beef mix). The trick if you want to cook it is, use a pressure cooker. It keeps the smell contained and makes good gravy. You don't have to cook it much, even just "par-boil" - it retains the nutritional value but is more palatable to some hounds. (We actually do this occasionally as a treat for the kitties too. They don't like the raw but adore it slightly cooked.)

OK...so while I take the time to order the trippett online, I found the solid gold locally. I know that there is a store that sells BG as well. I smeared the solid gold over his kibble. He ate only the pieces with the tripe on it!!:lol Thankfully, that was most of them.

I think I will try to go with the trippett as it does not have a lot of other ingredients...though, the stuff in the solid gold looked healthy.

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge

Guest Swifthounds

OK...so while I take the time to order the trippett online, I found the solid gold locally. I know that there is a store that sells BG as well. I smeared the solid gold over his kibble. He ate only the pieces with the tripe on it!!:lol Thankfully, that was most of them.

Youmightn try the "shake and bake" method next time. Get a gallon zip top food bag (I prefer the freezer variety, since that one time I put my thumb through a bag), put the tripe in, put the other food in, zip, shake, and pour into the bowl.

The "shake and bake" concept is a good one! I will say that Nancy's idea of a gravy worked well today, too. He likes warm water over his food anyway (I think it sooths his gums as he is missing 17 teeth) - so I put the tripe in and stirred it all around!

By the way....yes...FREEZER bags only!! :blush

I used regular canned meat today on her kibble and more water than I used with the tripe attempt. It worked much better. Apparently, I wasn't making enough gravy to suit her High Royal Highness. I'll try the green tripe again tomorrow and see if the larger amount of yummy green gravy is the secret!

Lisa B.

Apparently, I wasn't making enough gravy to suit her High Royal Highness.

:lol Ditto!!! But, I also have to be aware that in our case HIS Royal Highness will like something for four days and then decide it's time for me and daddiman to be creative again....so I would say I'm, cautiously optomistic!:colgate

Thanks....my goal is simply to encourage EZ to eat. I have to be creative with him and use add-ins....

As long as it won't hurt them....not so concerned about he nutrition.

By the way, this stuff doesn't smell great, either - so I can't imagine what the other stuff would smell like.

So you feed the green type raw?? This stuff smells like I stuck my hand in the oven alive and cooked it!

Sounds like the canned would really be easiest! It doesn't need to be raw to have the "dog crack" effect. I had to order Tripett online but the Solid Gold Green Cow tripe is at Petco (we don't have independent holistic pet food places where I live; YMMV). I don't find the canned smells that much worse than, say, cat food. Beth adores it and does well with it, though unfortunately I'll have to stop feeding it because of her just-diagnosed pancreas issue, at least for the time being.

My friend told me about the canned that PetCo carries and I went and got some. Opened it this morning and mixed it with Ranger's kibble and he ate it right down.Didn't smell all that bad. He is still getting so thin, hope he continues to eat this!!

Guest Swifthounds

What is Fiesta? A local market?

I've never heard of unbleached tripe being allowed to be present where USDA inspected meats are.

What is Fiesta? A local market?

I've never heard of unbleached tripe being allowed to be present where USDA inspected meats are.

It is a chain here in Texas.

http://fiestamart.co...sta/index.shtml

I was just there and there is still a lot of brown stuff labeled "fresh tripa de res".

Pretty sure these people are big enough to have covered the bases on if it it is legal, but why wouldn't it be if the tripe itself came from a USDA inspected plant?.

From the USDA website:

Take beef home immediately and refrigerate it at 40 °F; use within 3 to 5 days (1 or 2 days for variety meats such as liver, kidneys, tripe, sweetbreads, or tongue) or freeze (0 °F). If kept frozen continuously, it will be safe indefinitely.
Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg