What's Wrong With Huck?

He has not eaten or had much to drink since Friday night. His stomach was really growling Friday night so I gave him a Pepcid. This morning I tried a bully stick (great prize usually) and he ignored it. I tried a can of TOTW Pacific Stream and he would not come near it. This being Sunday my only option is the E-vet and I really cannot afford it. Please help.

Guest KennelMom

How do his gums look? Are they white/pale? What's his energy level like?

His stomach was really growling Friday night so I gave him a Pepcid.

Why would you do that?

do not offer any treats or meds, if anything offer over cooked white rice and boiled chop meat(25% meat to 75% rice) and call your vet monday morning if he does not impove. make sure he doesn't eat any grass outside. maybe it's a passing stomach/intenstional thing, maybe not. but plain rice and if he snubbs it- that's o.k. he won't starve by tomorrow. any vomiting? if not- then don't worry about dehyrdation. loose stools? if so bring a sample in w/ you.

Guest HHHounds

Does he have any other symptoms? Is he sleeping, playing, resting normally? Did you all do something unusual on Friday? Could he have eaten anything outside? Best of luck to you in figuring out what is going on!

Have you checked his temperature? Have you tried to palpitate his stomach area very carefully? It is hard? It could be a lot of things such as something he may have ate, could be a stomach bug, etc. I agree with checking his gums for nice pink colour.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I gave him a Pepcid because I thought that is what I was susposed to do with stomach trouble. His gums look the same as my other Grey. He is not much of a player anyway, so is just laying around which is usual for him. Both dogs went to the kennel on Thursday so he might have picked up something there? My first grey acted like this the first part of last week, but it only lasted 1 day and then he was back to normal..this is much longer. I will go buy some chicken, but if he won't eat TOTW canned food, I will bet he will not eat boiled rice and meat. I have not taken his temp, but he feels normal to me. I do not have a thermometer, but will buy one. Thanks everyone.

I forgot to say there is no vomiting and no stools at all. He is not whining, panting or acting anything but his normal self. He is an "old man" at 5 years old. My other one is a very "young man" at 5 years old. He is not a grass eater either. Ususally he is a great eater. I feed both of them the same which is TOTW Pacific Stream with some cooked carrots and a little canned TOTW. He eats 4 cups a day and maybe one bully stick for a treat. Thanks again for the help.

Guest KennelMom

I gave him a Pepcid because I thought that is what I was susposed to do with stomach trouble.

Rule of thumb - don't give anything unless you know what you're treating/why you're giving it. 1 - you don't want to mask any worsening of symptoms. 2 - you might be giving something that conflicts with treatment if you do end up at the vet 3 - you might be giving something that will make the situation worse, not better.

If gums look good, you are fine to wait and see if he rebounds and gets his appetite back. Just keep an eye on those gums and hydration levels. He could just be feeling a little out of sorts being back home. Some greyhounds do NOT appreciate a change in their routine and going off food is not uncommon. You could do boiled meat/rice, but I don't generally like enticing/bribing a dog to eat when they just don't want to and you aren't sure what's wrong...or whether anything is even wrong.

A dog thermometer is always handy to keep on hand. Just make sure it's clearly labelled...that's NOT one that you want to mix up with the human thermometer :blink:

Hope he feels better soone! :getwell

Edited by KennelMom

His gums look the same as my other Grey.

Just wanted to clarify - when checking his gums, are you checking capillary refill by pressing a finger on his gum and then watching the normal color return after you remove the finger? The color should return almost immediately. I've been told that this is the best way to determine whether a dog is dehydrated. We've had our share of tummy upset with our boy so I know what you're going through. Our vet generally says not to worry too much if he's off his food for a couple of days as long as he's getting enough water. (Of course, we worry anyway!)

As long as he's not dehydrated, then I'd follow the good advice already offered here, i.e., avoid treats and offer bland food etc. Hope your boy feels better soon!

gallery_21712_3317_21715.jpg
Merlin (Heathers Wizard), Mina (Where's Rebecca), and Mae the Galga - three crazy dogs in the house of M

What are the possible side effects of Comfortis: Side effects that may occur include vomiting. If vomiting occurs within one hour of administration, redose with another full dose. Other side effects may occur. Continue giving Comfortis chewable tablets and talk to your veterinarian if your pet experiences decreased appetite, lethargy or decreased activity, diarrhea, cough, increased thirst, vocalization, increased appetite, redness of the skin, hyperactivity and excessive salivation. Talk to your veterinarian about any side effect that seems unusual or especially bothersome to the pet.

Edited by Chicocat

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

Doesn't hurt to give a Pepcid if you suspect tummy upset altho I usually wait till I see definite signs (not eating, vomiting). Pepcid is one that doesn't interact with much.

Hope your pupper is just having an off day and will be back to normal soon.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

First of all, A PEPCID AC never hurt anything! I give here all the time, with my antibiotics, OR, if I feel my greys have tummy troubles. I, too, take it for the same. It can't hurt, let's put it that way.

Also, I do agree with the other posters... he may have picked up a stomach bug, or is just "off" from the kennel stay. I'd put him on a bland diet... boiled chicken and WHITE rice for a few days. AND, he might just appreciate the change :-)

I AM NOT a fan of Comfortis. I know a lot of folks use it, with great results, but, I have had too many folks tell me (greyhound owners), that their greys have had bad reactions. Now, Huck has been on it since the adoption kennel, and I am sure they would have noticed any negative side effects from it.

As long as everything is fine otherwise, I'd give Huck a day or two on a bland diet, and go from there. Of course, if he is still sick tomorrow, OR gets worse, he should see his vet.

Love to Huck,, Da Vid and to you, too!

Edited by Energy11

When I press on his gums nothing changes. I do not believe he has had water since Friday. I did give him his Confortis treatment Friday. He has been on them since he was at the adoption kennels.

Sorry if I wasn't clear before, or if I'm stating the obvious :). When you press firmly on his gums, the area under your finger should turn white, and then immediately pink-up again when you remove the finger. If he's not dehydrated, this happens really quickly so it can be hard to see the color change. If it takes more than a couple of seconds for the pink color to return, he's dehydrated. (I'm assuming his gums are a normal pink color since you said they're the same as your other grey's.)

I'm focusing on this because dehydration is the main concern for a dog who's off his food - mine will often refuse water as well during these times. 36 hours or so without any water at all seems a bit long to me :dunno, but the more experienced folks here would have a better idea. In any case, as Chicocat pointed out, anorexia is a possible side effect of Comfortis so it would probably be wise to discuss this with your vet. Good luck!

gallery_21712_3317_21715.jpg
Merlin (Heathers Wizard), Mina (Where's Rebecca), and Mae the Galga - three crazy dogs in the house of M

If this poor pup has not had a bowel movement, there is a possibility of a blockage. I would personally be at the e-vet by now. FWIW.

Are the eyes or ears yellow? This would indicate a liver problem--which is a definite get-to-the-vet-now situation.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest KennelMom

Pepcid makes people feel like they're doing something, but I think it's generally pretty useless. In owning 30+ greyhounds and having our share of tummy issues, I've never once felt the need to give it. To each their own. MY BIGGER POINT was that owners shouldn't treat if they don't know why/what they're treating.

Guest mcsheltie

Comfortis may be the culprit. That is one of the side affects. If you give it again next month and get the same reaction, do not give it to him again. Google the side affects and you will see that often once they start reacting it gets worse each time.

Did you give the Comfortis with a full meal?

With that said, it could be a bug or stress from being at the kennel. Espcially since you said your other dog was feeling off to.

I give Pepcid for the same symptoms. Last year we had a stomach bug come thru. Some were vomiting, some just had loose stools. No one wanted to eat. A few minutes after I gave the Pepcid their stomachs stopped gurgling and you could see in their eyes they felt better. Even if it doesn't help, it won't hurt.

Besides the gum test, you can pinch up some skin on their shoulder. It should go back immediately when you let go. If it does not your dog is dehydrated.

You day he did not have any stools - but when did they stop? Did he go Friday night as usual...and then, the next morning after no food not have stools? My Dustin (read thread in this section) gets these stomach issues a lot (which was the question in my post...why so much)...He didn't eat breakfast on Friday and did not poop until 12 hours after he ate a bit on Friday night - but even then very little. Prior to going off the food, however, he pooped several times that night...

The BIGGEST concern as others have said is the lack of water since Friday. I do agree w/the blockage concern, too - and I would defer to others - but I suspect at some point he would have vomited anything that went in after it - unless it blocked up rather quickly.

Best of luck.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Agree about the concern if he is not drinking. Since I've had Shelties years ago, I keep a butterfly syringe on hand and will use that to give water, if necessary. I'm not talking for major dehydration issues but for some liquid intake.

I'm not sure on the Comfortis. My son's Vet just gave that to him to give to his dog (which I think may be a Grey mix, actually) They had a major flea problem but the dogs often go to the dog park and dog beach. His dog hasn't seemed to have any problems with it but I don't know that I would use it myself.

And, I use the Pepcid also. Due to our Grey having some health problems lately and a very poor appetite with some vomiting of bile, my Vet and Dr. Dodds told me to give him 20 mg 2 x daily and it has helped. That with a diet change to Natural Balance Fish and Sweet Potato.

If there is no temp, vomiting, lethargy, etc. I'd probably wait until tomorrow but would keep a close eye out for any signs of dehydration.

It's okay for dogs to go some time without food but still need water. I cannot believe how fast this breed can lose weight if they stop eating.

Good luck

Guest Swifthounds

Pepcid makes people feel like they're doing something, but I think it's generally pretty useless. In owning 30+ greyhounds and having our share of tummy issues, I've never once felt the need to give it. To each their own. MY BIGGER POINT was that owners shouldn't treat if they don't know why/what they're treating.

I haven't found it very useful, either. People seem prone to using it for any sort of tummy trouble, but most tummy trouble in a canine digestive tract isn't due to overproduction of acid. There are cases where it can be helpful (like end stage renal issues and the like), but unless I knew that was the issue, I would be more concerned with dx than with treating symptoms and masking illness.

:bighug for Huck.

Here's hoping that Huck continues to feel better!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.