Phaeton Is Home!

Guest ww_phaeton

I believe that you made the right decision, try not to beat yourself up :grouphug:grouphug , Phaeton will get another home hopefully w/out small animals and he will be happier. There are many cat-safe hounds out there and I am sure there will be one for you. I have 2 greyhounds that came here with my 2 cats and neither of them showed any interest in my cats from that 1st day and mine are active, running in and outside. I brought in a 3rd hound who had been deemed cat-safe and he exhibited the same behavior as Phaeton, I could not keep him, he wanted those cats in the worst way and I cried like you all the way back to the foster coordinators home. I brought in a kitten and my Sara was very curious so I kept the kitten in his own room when I would leave for the 1st few months and watched them very closely.

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't beat yourself up. I think you did the right thing in this particular situation. This dog was too much of a loose cannon for someone new to the breed to deal with. I do hope you will give greyhounds another chance. My very first greyhound Kiowa was not only cat safe, I nicknamed him 'The Cat Whisperer'. He absolutely adored kitties and even when we had cats that hissed and growled at him, he eventually won them over. It can and does happen more often than you think. Here's a few pics of Kiowa with his kitties.

000_0370.jpg

33954497-44a1-02000178--1.jpg

Hard on you but Phaeton will be fine -- he's a handsome boy, and I have no doubt he'll find a nice home with no kitties. As others have said, don't give up on greys if their personality suits you. The girl who looks just like him, my Gidgie, is cat safe (I have no cats but her foster home of many months did).

Hugs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest ww_phaeton

I think you did the right thing, and Phaeton will be fine in another home. The behavior you describe really sounds like something I wouldn't want to risk in my home with cats. The fact that it was on display even in another setting should help put your mind at ease. I think it was clear-headed of you not to wait until you got more attached. And do know that there are many, many greyhounds who will be fine in your house (though maybe, just maybe, you might want to consider waiting until the kittens are a little bigger? Surely two kittens and another dog are a handful of animal activity as is?). You were just unlucky to get a bad fit because of the imperfect nature of cat testing. I know how disappointing it must be.

I actually have a pretty easy bunch with my three. I guess I got too cocky! I have no idea why the cats tolerate my dog drooling all over them but they even try to feed from him. Haha. Yes I do think I should wait until they get a little bit older. They are very playful right now and even my dog who gets along really well with them can't help but chase and trip over them sometimes. He never gets aggressive but I can see how their running and jumping can be a lot for even a dog who may be okay with older cats.

@RobinW:

When I dropped him off the woman at the rescue actually let me know that she did have one hound who had been in a house with cats before and tested safe there, but she said she knew I probably wasn't ready yet and everyone needed time to settle down and she was right. I am definitely going to keep in touch with the rescue for the future. I have friends who own hounds from Donna and volunteer with her. I really appreciated how kind she was toward me.

I want to tell everyone I'm definitely not turned against greyhounds after this! I know each dog has an individual personality. Plus when Phaeton wasn't with the cats he was actually a very good dog. A gentle giant. I actually love the breed more after having him. Hopefully one day I can make a great home for a different hound.

I'm sure you will find the right greyhound when you are ready. There are a lot of cat safe greyhounds, including ones that may be fine even with your kittens without having to wait until they are grown. Would the adoption group be willing to let you bring a dog home for an initial intro (or have a volunteer bring the dog for a visit) before you commit to adopting the dog? A single introductory meeting won't necessarily give you the full picture, or mean that you can let your guard down, but it will at least help identify a dog who will be a better candidate for your home.

Both of my greys are very cat safe and did not require any training or reminders. They are even ok with my cat running across the yard outside, which is *not* the case even for most cat safe greys. My cats are indoor only, but occasionally get supervised time outside in the fenced yard. My greys are also fine with kittens, although Willow is afraid of the tiny ones. :lol Nothing fazes my male Wiki, and he actually seems like the kitties.

Here are a couple pics of him with a kitten that is only a few days old.

wikikitty3.jpg

wikikitty4.jpg

And one of my favorite pics of Wiki with my new kitten.

indyhome06.jpg

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

My Summit is very small animal safe. He's actually afraid of my bunnies. My one bunny Caspian thinks he's a dog and walks right up to Summit and even jumps up on his side and back. Summit usually doesn't mind the rabbit being out if he can be up on the couch (where he is relatively safe from marauding bunny rabbits. Otherwise he goes and hangs out in his crate where he is safe. Obviously the bunnies only come out when I am around to supervise closely.

IMG_1155.jpg

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest Adrianne

I want to tell everyone I'm definitely not turned against greyhounds after this! I know each dog has an individual personality.

I'm so glad to read this. They ARE individuals. And testing at the rescue is not an exact science. Wilbur came to us labeled Not Cat Safe. Turns out, he was Everything Safe.

IMG_4160.jpg

Guest Wasserbuffel

I'm glad things turned out well. Non-cat eating was the only requirement I had when it came to getting my grey. I didn't care about size, gender, age, or color. I had preferences, but the only rejection criteria was a grey thay wanted to eat my cats.

Jayne had been fostered in a home with a cat for a week or so and showed no interest in it. She was transfered to a local foster for a week before I could have her as the group wanted her to have more time in a house before coming to a first-timer like myself. On her fourth day there, her foster dad took her to the Humane Society. There she went bonkers over the cats in the windows. She was standing on her hind legs straining at her leash. The foster dad said he was sure it was just curiosity, but advised us to be extremely cautious about our cat introductions.

She came to us on a Friday night. The volunteers who brought her had her muzzle on and kept her on a short leash. She went wild when she saw my cats. I didn't reject her, although I was nervous about that. We decided to give her some time, because she has just barely turned three and this was the third house she'd been brought into in a month. Everything in her world was new and needed to be explored, including cats.

Because my cats are older, confident and had been around dogs before, I knew they wouldn't run and incite her to chase. Her body language showed loads of excitement. There was staring and lifted ears, even chattering, but she was also squirming and wagging her tail. She didn't have a stiff predatory posture. I could read that without having ever owned my own dog before.

She was crated that night and the cats were let loose to roam as usual. The next morning, I leashed her and let her out of her crate for breakfast. I sat on the couch and fed her by hand. My orange cat, Ron came into the room and parked himself under a table to watch. Jayne was interested, but not so overwhelmingly as the previous night. I let her walk over to him on her own, keeping a tight grip on the leash to stop her in case she lunged. Once she got too close for Ron's comfort, he whacked her accross the nose. That was the end of her interest in the cats.

It will be one year this Saturday that she's been with our family. She's growled at Bob for stepping on her and tried to taste one of his fat rolls (that got her scolded), but she also will share a plate of food or my lap with him. She can't get as close to Ron. She's taken to stealth sniffing him when she gets the chance, and he still whacks her when he's annoyed at anything and she's nearby. Yet she's still super excited by the cats on display at pet stores and at the Humane Society. I think she just wants to meet them all.

My point is, that even a dog that is very excited by cats initially can live with them in peace. It's all about WHY they're excited. I think you were right to retun Phaeton. Doing what is right and safe for your cats is the most impportant thing. They came first and there are plenty of greys available that can live with kitties more easily and happily than Phaeton. I'm glad this hasn't discouraged you from adopting a grey. They truly are wonderful dogs. Hopefully the next one will be a perfect fit.

Guest brandi007

Don't feel bad you returned Phaeton, he'll find a home no problem! I had to return a boy because he went for my cat and couldn't be distracted - he tested cat safe at the farm and after I surrendered (well...traded) him into the group he did fine with the cats he met with his new home, it was just my cat. Scrizz likes to put his tail up and tear around the house, Solo just couldn't handle this and I couldn't handle the stress of not knowing that my cat was safe - Scrizz was here first.

Solo is fine now, he's in a home with a lovely family that spoils him rotten and I ended up with my little black girl Hannah who has issues out the wazoo but is cat safe, and that's my only line that dogs aren't allowed to cross. I think it's good that you returned him, your cats were there first and they deserve to be safe in your own home. Someone with more experience may of been able to cat-train him but it sounds like you were just too stressed out and that's no good for anyone!

You'll find the perfect hound and hopefully get an update on Phaeton that will put your heart at ease that you did the right thing :)

Please don't feel badly!

You were smart enough to see there was an issue, big enough to admit you needed assistance, and ultimately you did exactly what you're supposed to do--contact your group for help.

I'm a firm believer that if you believe it's not going to work out, better to make the return sooner rather than later. No sense in having the hound get attached to you and THEN return him, right?

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I think you did the right thing, and Phaeton will be fine in another home. The behavior you describe really sounds like something I wouldn't want to risk in my home with cats. The fact that it was on display even in another setting should help put your mind at ease. I think it was clear-headed of you not to wait until you got more attached. And do know that there are many, many greyhounds who will be fine in your house (though maybe, just maybe, you might want to consider waiting until the kittens are a little bigger? Surely two kittens and another dog are a handful of animal activity as is?). You were just unlucky to get a bad fit because of the imperfect nature of cat testing. I know how disappointing it must be.

I actually have a pretty easy bunch with my three. I guess I got too cocky! I have no idea why the cats tolerate my dog drooling all over them but they even try to feed from him. Haha. Yes I do think I should wait until they get a little bit older. They are very playful right now and even my dog who gets along really well with them can't help but chase and trip over them sometimes. He never gets aggressive but I can see how their running and jumping can be a lot for even a dog who may be okay with older cats.

@RobinW:

When I dropped him off the woman at the rescue actually let me know that she did have one hound who had been in a house with cats before and tested safe there, but she said she knew I probably wasn't ready yet and everyone needed time to settle down and she was right. I am definitely going to keep in touch with the rescue for the future. I have friends who own hounds from Donna and volunteer with her. I really appreciated how kind she was toward me.

I want to tell everyone I'm definitely not turned against greyhounds after this! I know each dog has an individual personality. Plus when Phaeton wasn't with the cats he was actually a very good dog. A gentle giant. I actually love the breed more after having him. Hopefully one day I can make a great home for a different hound.

I actually think you did the right thing here, so don't beat yourself up about it please!! When I got my grey, she had not been cat-tested but I was told she would be fine with cats. She was NOT! And was my first dog ever. She stared, drooled, was obsessed, etc. The group was no help and would not take her back (I didnt' even know that was an option!) so I had to work with her. She was crated for at least 4 years whenever I left the house because I didn't trust her with the cat. Eventually, they were OK together when I was there - I think my cat, not the friendliest of animals, was disciplining her through the bars of the crate 'cause she ended up a bit afraid of the cat, or at least wary!

However - it was NOT a fun time for me, being worried I'd come home to a dead cat. I probably would have returned her if I'd had that option - she should not have lived with kitties. On the other hand, I'd have missed out on a great dog! (Still my only one ever)

The experience has also colored my perceptions - I now have 2 cats, and one is very pushy and in-your-face. I have not gotten another grey, partly because I'm not home enough any more but also because it'll take a special dog to live with Miss Constantly-On-You kitty.

So... deep breaths, enjoy the kittens and think about another grey, maybe when the kittens have calmed down a bit!!

And stay around here if you like! I don't have a grey & am still here!!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Guest ww_phaeton

@ozgirl2 and everyone else as well:

I definitely want to try to still keep an eye on this forum. Everyone here has been very nice and helpful. It's a little hard because I'm so jealous of everyone's hounds and sad about surrendering Phaeton although I know it was the right thing to do. I was very excited to be taking home a retired racer and the disappointment following hasn't been fun. I know we need some time but I think my boyfriend is even less inclined to jump back into it than I am. He thinks we should wait a good long time until the cats are older and we have a fenced in yard. Perhaps he's right.

The cats aren't missing Phaeton at all. They've already moved in to his space. They're probably already making plans to redecorate:

photo.jpg

I was very excited to be taking home a retired racer and the disappointment following hasn't been fun.

:( I totally empathize, I had to give up my first grey Raven for the same reason. I was freaking heartbroken but thank goodness my group worked to get another wonderful dog in to my house and my heart right away. ;)

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

Your kitties are gorgeous!! Post more pix of them in Off Topic, please!!!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

I don't bring much to the party, but I did a lot of research after Sadie passed in considering having a grey and a cat. It may be easier when your kittens are cats. And, if they know how to stand up for themselves it will be much easier. There are many a dog that will back down to a cat that stands it ground, but will chase one that runs. And, I cannot speak from personal experience, but it has been related to me that putting a barrier between the dog and cats during introduction (not including muzzle and leash, of course) can make the dog more frustrated and want to "get" the cat more. Having control of the dog with a muzzle on and allowing lots of escape routes for kitty behind furnitures, etc. may be a better introduction option. It may make it less of a big deal for the dog. These are just things suggested to me. I hope it works out for you in the future.

finalsiggy.jpg

Guest Wasserbuffel
And, I cannot speak from personal experience, but it has been related to me that putting a barrier between the dog and cats during introduction (not including muzzle and leash, of course) can make the dog more frustrated and want to "get" the cat more. Having control of the dog with a muzzle on and allowing lots of escape routes for kitty behind furnitures, etc. may be a better introduction option. It may make it less of a big deal for the dog.

That makes a lot of sense. I think it also helps to build the human up as leader if they are what prevents the dog from getting the cats vs. an inanimate barrier.

Guest LindsaySF

Please don't feel badly!

You were smart enough to see there was an issue, big enough to admit you needed assistance, and ultimately you did exactly what you're supposed to do--contact your group for help.

I'm a firm believer that if you believe it's not going to work out, better to make the return sooner rather than later. No sense in having the hound get attached to you and THEN return him, right?

:nod :nod

Guest sheila

There are a few of here that have had to return dogs for various reasons so most of us will understand. I returned my second GH after 10 mos due to on going issues with my first GH that resulted in 2 emergency vet visits, numerous stitches and concerns not only for the safety of my dog, but my teenage DD who had to break up the last fight that got very ugly. I still continued to adopt because I knew that this situation was a case of 'not the right match'. It broke my heart because this dog was a very very good hound, he just wasn't right for my home.

Sorry I'm late and sorry that things didn't work out.

I have had to return a dog recently (not cat related) and sometimes, it's just the best thing to do all round.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

sometimes, it's just the best thing to do all round.

Yes, I forgot to add in my previous post that we had a couple of fosters with intent years ago. Sadie had been an only dog for years. She just did not like one dog. Another decided a month into it to give her a nasty smack-down. She wasn't too badly injured, luckily. But we decided that at 11 years old it was just too much for her. She just was happier being an only dog. She was a diva! And looking back we know it was the right decision.

finalsiggy.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest HookemsMom

We adopted our "cat safe" hound about a year and a half ago now. He did actually get hold of one of our cats and did act exactly like you said, the lip smacking, not being able to break the stare. We would try and do the cat training like our rescue suggested with one of us holding the cat and having Hook come closer. That never worked for us. It took having time each day with Hook in his crate and the cats allowed out and around. He would see them and we would reward being able to break the stare and ignoring of the cats. Then the cats would be put in the bedroom and he had his out time. Soon he would ignore them completley and we worked from there, with the muzzle on and a leash always attached so we could grab him quickly if needed. It took a couple of months but with patience it can be done. Now the ignore each other completely and he is actually scared of one older cat who likes to prove she is boss and keep him in line. I know this one was not the right fit and when the kittens are a little older I would try it again. We are now in the process of getting a basset hound puppy so that will change the dynamics in the house yet again. Best of luck to you.

Guest iconsmum

I'm really thankful that I had everyone here to turn to for advice over the weekend so it's with my tail between my legs that I come to tell you that Phaeton is back at the rescue. After agonizing over the decision all day I finally called and spoke to Donna at the rescue for advice. I told her what had been happening with the kittens and her immediate reaction was that it was definitely not good and the safety of the cats was most important. She apologized and said that of course cat testing isn't fool proof since they are animals and that she thought it would be best to bring him back to the rescue and try again in the future with a different dog. I seemed to be the only one crying upon arrival at the rescue as Phaeton was all smiles to hear the howling of the other hounds. There were a few cats running around and he did the same thing he was doing at my home. Became rigid, licking/smacking lips, intent focused eyes and unable to be distracted and oblivious to "No Kitty!" That being said I still cried while saying goodbye. Donna was very nice and she said that it happens and not every adoption is the best fit.

I would have been willing to put in the work with Phaeton, particularly with his separation anxiety (didn't get into that here since the animal interaction was most important to me) and the issues with my other dog but I was honestly too worried about the cats and my lack of experience with rescues. This was my first rescued animal which only makes this worse of course as I've never given up an animal before. It was a very hard to decision to make but one I made only because he was only here for a night and I knew he had a place with Donna. Her recommending it cemented my decision. I don't want anyone to think I would ever just give up an animal so quickly in any other circumstance. I just felt Phaeton would be happier elsewhere with someone more experienced or without small pets.

Perhaps it's my own guilt making me explain so much! Thank you again everyone. This was (and still is) a very hard decision for me.

arrghhh this makes me crazy!! You should NOT have your tail between your legs at all! You made a perfectly correct decision that simply has to do with dog management. If you decide the dog is a no go with kittens, then that's it. You should NEVER let anybody else tell you what constitutes "safe" in your home. Lots of people who think the best thing to do is to let the cat or kitten tough it out with the dog have never seen a dog actually get another small animal - if they had more really bad experience they wouldn't be so blase...if your dog got your cat with intent, there isn't a snowball's chance in hell of you saving that cat, and to think otherwise is a novice's mistake. - you'd stand there helpless while the dog bashed the cat up and down on the ground while it held it by the neck from behind - not a bite stick (which I'm guessing you don't have in your kit) not a good thumping between the eyes, nothing stops that fixed action pattern until it's over - and it's not over till the cat's dead....with you on the end of the leash, maybe. Smile, please, because you made an executive decision to save a cat's life... and there are tons of other homes with no cats for the dog to live in

Edited to add: you know what makes an excellent dog owner? the ability to come to a humane decision and then execute it with no waffling around, and then stick to it - you passed!! Go find a cat safe dog that needs a home just as much :))

Edited by iconsmum

Guest LindsaySF
Lots of people who think the best thing to do is to let the cat or kitten tough it out with the dog have never seen a dog actually get another small animal - if they had more really bad experience they wouldn't be so blase...

Agreed.