Cake- Sassy Star

Guest greydogluvr

Guest greydogluvr

I lost my last Greyhound on Tuesday between 12 - 1 PM. I so let her down. I promised to keep her safe and make sure she lived a long, loved life. I had a doggie door but the flames of the house fire and the smoke must have disoriented her. She and my son's chihuahua were found by thefirefighters curled together as far from the flames as possible. I found some comfort in that they were not burned. The firefighters assured me that the smoke and carbon monoxide made them sleep before the heat came.

I did not want to see them. I just know that she was so scared and that I was not there to help her. She was such a kind soul, I think she may have gone to look for her little buddy before she tried to get out. I can not even go through the room that they were found in. I continually picture her and Gussy frantically looking for a way out.

I hope everyone or just one of you can learn from my mistake and avoid the heartach and guilt that I am feeling. The house was smoldering for over an hour before smoke was visible to the outside. It began escaping through the chimney and the attic vents. A neighbor saw it and touched the windows which were burning hot. He tried to get in but could not. I had an alarm system but I did not have it monitored. They could have been saved had I just activated the account. If you do not have a monitoring system please consider doing so. You never think it will be you, but now I know that it can happen to anyone.

Cake was such a goofy, beautiful girl. She loved to sleep on the couch and wear her blanket. She had it on the day she passed. She loved barking at the horses, eating horse poo and then giving me the most fragrant kisses. I so miss her stinky kisses and her sweet soulful eyes as I lovingly told her she was stinky. I miss them both so much.

Lora

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What an awful tragedy for your family. My heart goes out to you.

Godspeed, Cake and Gussy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am so very sorry. What a horrible way to lose your dogs. But it is not your fault. You did not fail her. It was a horrible tradegy, nothing else. You loved her and did everything you could for her.

Cake is looking down on you from the bridge and wanting to comfort you right now. She loves you and knows you love her.

OMG, Lora, I'm so very sorry! What a tragedy! It's so heartbreaking when things like that happen; events that are completely out of our control.

Lora, you did not let Cake down. Not at all. You have no way of knowing what would have happened if the fire alarm had been monitored.

You gave Cake and Gussie a wonderful life, and that's all that really matters.

Lora, please, please let us know if you need anything, OK? Promise? :grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest PhillyPups

I am so very sorry for your loss. You did not let her down, it was a horrific tragedy, you are living my worst nightmare. :bighug

Cake being so loving is most likely watching over you and distraught at the sadness her leaving has left you.

Run with the angeks sweet Cake, you are with the very very best ~

OMG. I'm heart broken for you. :cry1 Your baby girl is safe at the Bridge, and will always live on in spirit, in your heart. She is just a whisper away. :beatheart Many hugs to you... :grouphug

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Things happen in our lives that we have no control over. Cake was not alone. She was with her packmate Gussie and you were there in her heart.

Leslie

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Guest Adrianne

Heartbreaking........I am so, so sorry for your loss. I wish for you some comfort and peace. Don't let guilt eat you alive; it's impossible to think of & plan for every "might happen." :bighug

I am so, so sorry. RIP Cake & Gussy - and please, be kind to yourself. It was not your fault; We try so hard to do everything to keep our babies safe, but we just cannot plan for it all. I know it is easy for someone else to say; as humans, we blame ourselves. But dogs don't know blame - they just love us, as Cake and Gussy still love you now. :grouphug for you and f_yellowf_yellow for Cake and Gussy

Edited by maximum

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

Lora, I cannot find the words to express how sorry I am for what happened. Please do not think you let them down. Horrible, terrible things happen in life and this is just one of those tragedies.

Please be kind to yourself. I will send prayers for peace for you during this terrible time. I'm so, so sorry.

Lynn_siggie-1.jpg

There was nothing you could have done. Just know she was not alone, and if anything she was comforting the other pup.

I am so sorry for your loss. :grouphug

Guest IrskasMom

I can't even try to say how sorry I am over your Loss. It's a terrible Tragodie nobody could forsee. Please be kind to yourself RIP sweet Cake and Gussy . :f_pink:f_pink:f_pink

Edited by IrskasMom

Please don't blame yourself. Cake knew she was loved.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".