A Red Bump Between Roger's Toes

Guest Rogersmom

Guest Rogersmom

There is a red, round, bump between Roger's toes. It does not have any hair on it. It looks like it might be part of his foot with the hair missing. Sometimes it is raised up like a mole. I am not sure if it is just more of his allergy symptoms or if this is something I need to worry about. I tried to take pictures of it but it was difficult to hold the camera and keep Roger still with his toes sprayed. Does anyone have any ideas and should I take him to the vets?

IMG_1541.jpg

IMG_1542.jpg

Roger has many food allergies. I have been very careful in feeding him. Before the allergies were identified, he was chewing at his feet, making them bald, and bloody. The feet did not look like this then. He is also allergic to trees and grass but right now we have had snow on the ground for some time so I do not think that is what is causing the bump.

Thanks for reading and any help you may provide.

Liz and Roger

That looks very similar to Gracie's benign histiocytoma. (That might be spelled hystiocytoma).

It came up rather suddenly. Vet said give it time and it will go away. It did, about 2-3 months later. Didn't bother her at all. She's still missing some hair in that spot.

Still worth a vet check but if it is a histiocytoma I wouldn't jump into surgery.

DSC02257.jpg

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Rogersmom

That looks very similar to Gracie's benign histiocytoma. (That might be spelled hystiocytoma).

It came up rather suddenly. Vet said give it time and it will go away. It did, about 2-3 months later. Didn't bother her at all. She's still missing some hair in that spot.

Still worth a vet check but if it is a histiocytoma I wouldn't jump into surgery.

DSC02257.jpg

It does look exactly like that. How did you ever get such a good picture. I feel much better now.

It does look exactly like that. How did you ever get such a good picture. I feel much better now.

Cacth 'em when they're sleeping or bribe them with something chewy that will keep them occupied. :lol

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Is it possible that could be a hemangioma? One of my girls has had many of those, and we've always had them removed, and run a biopsy on them. Luckily they've always come back benign. I'd get a vet to look at that for sure. It certainly isn't normal tissue.

Nobody wants expensive vet bills or their dogs being stressed, but with any unusual growth it is always advisable to see the vet to have it checked out while it is new and still small. If it's benign and can be left then that's fine, but if it's benign and needs to be removed before it causes too much adjacent tissue damame then you'll be pleased it was caught early. The same applies to cancers that are prone to metastatic growth - the sooner these are out the better.

First be absolutely sure what it is before deciding whether or how to treat.

I'd have it checked out ASAP just in case. My first thought when seeing it is, "I wonder if he's been licking that. It looks very much like Sugar's lick granuloma." Sounds like it is a little possible but maybe not that likely. Your pic makes it looks to me like a smooth, shiny lump. Macoduck's pic of the histiocytoma shows a very different texture & you say that is really what it looks like. So I retract my vote for a granuloma. :)

To the vet, to the vet, to the vet, vet, vet...

Could also be a benign cyst--those can pop up quickly. I'd get it checked as soon as you can though.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest Rogersmom

While in all likelyhood it's a histiocytoma you can't tell by just looking at it. There are some bad tumors that are found on limbs/feet. Your vet needs to perform a FNA/cytology to examine the cells. Simple easy procedure.

I emailed my vet a picture of the bump. She said to put cortosone and antibacterial ointment on it twice a day and prevent him from licking it for

15 minutes. She did not seem to think he needed to be seen. I hope all is well. I don't want my Roger to be sick.

Edited by Rogersmom

Guest Rogersmom

Cacth 'em when they're sleeping or bribe them with something chewy that will keep them occupied. :lol

You certainly did a great job. Roger's bump is between toes so when I tried to surprise him he work up.

I would watch it for a few days doing what your vet recommended. if there's no change or it worsens, I'd have a needle aspirate done. it looks like a histiocytoma, which is usually very benign and resolves itself without treatment in 6-12 weeks. There is also the possibility it could be a mast cell tumor, which strongly resembles a histio, but can have a sinister outcome if not excised with very wide margins (like they might just amputate his little toe if that's what it turns out to be.)

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

I'd see a vet - it might be a histiocytoma as others have suggested - oddly enough, when my vet stuck a needle in Arlie's (it was on her ear tip) to get a biopsy sample, it seemed to help it go away faster - he said that was not uncommon.

Awhile ago there was a thread on something called a seed wart - you might also want to check that out - can't recall the details now, but apparently they do come up on the feet.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Rogersmom

The bump on Roger's toe started to bleed. I took him to the vet's. He has gained 7 pounds since October 1. She overwhelmed me with things to do. Given I have not had a full time job since July 2008, my brain was just thinking "how can I afford this? and poor Roger!" She wants to do a blood work up to see if he has a thyroid problem and remove the bump before it can become larger and a more difficult surgery. I told her there was no way I could pay for the blood work ($100.00). She perscribed a cream to put on the bump twice a day and 75 mg. of benedryl twice a day. I have been putting the cream on the bump and it seems to be drying up. I put Roger's muzzle with a poop guard (thank you Sue A.) on him for 15 minutes so that he can not lick the cream off his bump. The vet said if this treatment shrinks the bump then there is nothing to worry about but if the treatment does not shrink the bump or if the bump grows, it will have to be removed. Roger is licking many areas of his body. I thought the frost would stop his itching. What is a mother to do?

My dog had a very similar lump on his foot. My vet told me there are a number of things that tend to crop up on the feet that can be bad so she removed it. Honestly, it bothered him more when it was removed than before--and it was completely benign.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Rogersmom

My dog had a very similar lump on his foot. My vet told me there are a number of things that tend to crop up on the feet that can be bad so she removed it. Honestly, it bothered him more when it was removed than before--and it was completely benign.

I was wondering what the recovery after the surgery to remove the bump would look like. Roger recently had surgery to aid in the healing of a dog bite. It was difficult to keep him from licking that. I had to use an e-collar on him. I felt so bad putting the collar on him. Given the length of his nose, the collar was very large. He was constantly knocking things over wearing it. He also could not fit through the puppy door wearing it so he lost his freedom while healing.

I think the bump looks like it is getting smaller and flatter. I really do not want him to be operated on but I also do not want this to get worse.

Thanks for your reply.

• 8 months later...
Guest Rogersmom

Sorry I forgot to post that Rogers bump went away with just apply a cream to it. Now I am worrying about his gums. I really think he needs braces as his front bottom teeth are not in a perfect line. Where the bottom canine teeth rub the top gum, the area is black. My vet said this is normal. I have only recently noticed it and I have been brushing Roger's teeth every night since he had his dental. Thank you all for your help.

Guest KennelMom

It's normal for greyhounds to have some pretty poorly aligned teeth, since they aren't bred for perfect bites like show dogs. He doesn't need braces and he's just fine. Discoloration on the gums can be normal too...if your vet has looked at it and said it's OK, I'm sure it is just the normal variation you see in dogs.

It's normal for greyhounds to have some pretty poorly aligned teeth, since they aren't bred for perfect bites like show dogs. He doesn't need braces and he's just fine. Discoloration on the gums can be normal too...if your vet has looked at it and said it's OK, I'm sure it is just the normal variation you see in dogs.

Ditto. You ought to see my Bobbers & her mom's (Momma Seabirds's) teeth "alignment"!