Osteo Thread

Bauersmom,

I have to agree with Jen's thoughts on your timeline. It is very difficult to determine how far the cancer has progressed and the only way to get a 'feel' for that is the x-rays. Charlie who limped one day and has his amp the next showed a very small area that looked like bone had chipped off, it was not like how sometimes it appears as the 'star pattern' or 'moth eaten'. Usually the x-rays will show how severe it is strictly from a bone perspective, one does not know and cannot know how far it has spread. Now saying this, please keep in mind, amputation is strictly to remove the pain - period. It does not cure anything as like we all know, cancer is very invasive and can metastasize elsewhere (lungs usually). As Jen stated, the chemo is to help kill/reduce these microscopic cancer cells.

So based on all this, yes time is passing by and the theory is that the sooner you catch it, the better your odds. Logical and sounds simple however this disease is not logical if one truly considers cancer. Also I believe it was Pat (Phillypups) who has stated over and over, "it's a crapshoot" - there are no guarantees. There is also some factual data that older pups who go pain management tend to survive longer than younger pups, again not 100% proven, the numbers just seem to indicate this. Taking a totally non-emotional approach to all this, pups who go with amp & chemo have an average lifespan of 12 mths or 1/10-1/12 of their lifespan. Now this is the average, Charlie made it to this mark, Flash did not and passed away 4 mths post dx/amp. There are the very very lucky few who make it well beyond 12 mths as again this is the average so it makes sense you will hear of pups who are 24 mths+. These are all still 'ugly' numbers and our pups shouldn't have to be placed in any of these ranges. They should be able to live out their lives happy and healthy.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lily was diagnosed today. She is 7 years and 2 months. I will be researching the hell out of this thing.

I'm so angry--her face isn't even grey yet.

Oh no, I'm sorry :grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest snakes

I'm not sure my opinion is worth a darn here, but I know Dr. Couto or his team won't give any sort of info on that topic because they've yet to truly study the progression of the disease. I asked them repeatedly to estimate where Neyla's tumor was in terms of progression (not to give me a timeline for her, just to discuss how bad it looked) and they wouldn't even do that.

But really, I am not a vet, or anything near a vet, so take my theories with a grain of salt. :blah

Neylasmom, Thank you for your frank discussion based on your experience/research. As someone who is going the palliative route and tried to find all sorts of statistics or opinions after FedX's diagnosis, this was far far more helpfull. I (and i am sure others) will never ever be 100% sure if the path I choose for our situation is the right one, there is no way to tell, I only do the best I can and enjoy every single day. I was very frustrated by vets or oncologists never giving a strong opinion or facts/statistics on this disease, all i wanted to know was how high the likelihood was his leg would fracture imminently. I truly appreciate you opinion and am even filing it away to refer back to because it helps to hear everything so succinctly described. Thank you.

After MUCH thought, we have decided to do the amputation and chemo. I have a few final questions into OSU but I doubt they will come back with something unexpected.

It basically came down to two things - 1- the fact that he is still a wild man, constantly wanting to play, run, jump, etc and me constantly having to corral him and stop him from playing. I don't want the last few months of his life to be lacking in what he truly enjoys (and have me constantly fretting about him breaking the leg). So even if the amp doesn't give him anything more than a few months, I'm hoping he will be able to resume his crazy activities. And 2 - the lump on his wrist has already grown in the 2 weeks since it appeared. :( I am concerned about things taking a rapid decline if we don't take action now. I know it's a guess on my part, but his wrist is definitely changing in appearance quickly.

I talked to my regular vet and some other folks, and while we won't know for sure until he's a tripod how well he will do, most people I've talked to have convinced me that I'm being overly cautious/protective on what he can and cannot handle. He's a strong-willed dog and doesn't let much keep him down.

I've talked to the vet about his fear of the vet's office. In the end, I realized that even with pain management, there was no avoiding having him into the vet so we're just going to have to make it work.

So there it is.

In other news, Berkeley is getting spoiled rotten by friends and family and I'm sure HE thinks this whole cancer thing is pretty awesome. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I hope this photo makes you laugh - this was taken a few days ago. Always my goofy boy.

CIMG5268.jpg

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

He sounds just like my Charlie boy. Love the pic of the goofy boy. I can tell you this much, I was shocked how crazy Charlie is as a tripod as I thought for sure it would slow him down. Nope.

My crazby boy in action:

DSC_0191.jpg

Racing Jack our other Grey and Charlie is in the lead:

DSC_0170-3.jpg

With his favourite fish:

DSC_0143-1.jpg

Running for the joy of it:

DSC_03022511.jpg

The after-burners turned on:

DSC_01352424.jpg

Killing Mr. penguin:

DSC_00642342.jpg

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Guest juliagulia630

Kyle, those pictures are awesome! Charlie and James are long lost brothers, I'm sure! James is doing MUCH better! He is still on prednisone but it has done so much in decreasing his inflammation in his joints! He is up and moving around like before his diagnosis. He is back to jumping on our bed, running after bunnies, and greeting us at the door! We are swimming a lot these days since it has been so hot!

Thanks for thinking of us during our rough patch. I am always thinking of you guys and all the new pups being diangosed recently.

Dude is 6 months post-amp today. Hopefully many more monthly anniversaries to come for us.

He'll have a chest xray Tuesday, and if that comes back OK, we're down to three month checkups!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Neylasmom, Thank you for your frank discussion based on your experience/research. As someone who is going the palliative route and tried to find all sorts of statistics or opinions after FedX's diagnosis, this was far far more helpfull. I (and i am sure others) will never ever be 100% sure if the path I choose for our situation is the right one, there is no way to tell, I only do the best I can and enjoy every single day. I was very frustrated by vets or oncologists never giving a strong opinion or facts/statistics on this disease, all i wanted to know was how high the likelihood was his leg would fracture imminently. I truly appreciate you opinion and am even filing it away to refer back to because it helps to hear everything so succinctly described. Thank you.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I just want people to keep in mind that my opinion is based only on my discussions with people here on GT, which is a pretty small subset of the general population so I could be way off base!

Dude is 6 months post-amp today. Hopefully many more monthly anniversaries to come for us.

He'll have a chest xray Tuesday, and if that comes back OK, we're down to three month checkups!

:yay :yay :yay

And :goodluck for Tuesday. I know those x-rays are going to be clean clean clean!

So glad to hear that James is doing better as well. :thumbs-up

Bauersmom, Berkeley is adorable. That photo is hysterical. :)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

After MUCH thought, we have decided to do the amputation and chemo. I have a few final questions into OSU but I doubt they will come back with something unexpected.

It basically came down to two things - 1- the fact that he is still a wild man, constantly wanting to play, run, jump, etc and me constantly having to corral him and stop him from playing. I don't want the last few months of his life to be lacking in what he truly enjoys (and have me constantly fretting about him breaking the leg). So even if the amp doesn't give him anything more than a few months, I'm hoping he will be able to resume his crazy activities. And 2 - the lump on his wrist has already grown in the 2 weeks since it appeared. :( I am concerned about things taking a rapid decline if we don't take action now. I know it's a guess on my part, but his wrist is definitely changing in appearance quickly.

I talked to my regular vet and some other folks, and while we won't know for sure until he's a tripod how well he will do, most people I've talked to have convinced me that I'm being overly cautious/protective on what he can and cannot handle. He's a strong-willed dog and doesn't let much keep him down.

I've talked to the vet about his fear of the vet's office. In the end, I realized that even with pain management, there was no avoiding having him into the vet so we're just going to have to make it work.

So there it is.

In other news, Berkeley is getting spoiled rotten by friends and family and I'm sure HE thinks this whole cancer thing is pretty awesome. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I just love the pic. If you have any questions, please feel free to call me at 614-523-0754. Joe did amputation and chemo at OSU. His one year anniversery will be July 28.

He sounds just like my Charlie boy. Love the pic of the goofy boy. I can tell you this much, I was shocked how crazy Charlie is as a tripod as I thought for sure it would slow him down. Nope.

Great pictures Kyle. I sure wish Joe wasn't so afraid of the camera. You should have seen him tonight playing with his stuffies. You could hear his three paws hitting the ground all over the house.

My thoughts and prayers will be with Dude and you for clean x-rays on Tuesday. I hope you have many many more monthly anniverseries and some yearly ones too!

Jane

Dude!!! Six months buddy! Here's to another 6 months and another after that and another after and another....you get the picture. Keep on rocking my boy! :bounce1

Surgery is set for 8am thursday at Angell. We are starting the amicar 48 hrs ahead per their protocol - so we will start it tomorrow. My nerves are shot already.

Oh and Kyle - Berk is totally the same wild child! Those pics are great.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Surgery is set for 8am thursday at Angell. We are starting the amicar 48 hrs ahead per their protocol - so we will start it tomorrow. My nerves are shot already.

You'll both be in my thoughts Thursday :)

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Jane, is Joe really a YEAR already?!! That's wonderful!

How's he doing?

And how is your sweet Twisty?

Lastly, how are you doing?

Joe's amputation was done on July 28th. I have tried to enjoy every moment of this past year with him. He is just so loveable, sweet, goofy, outgoing, playful (for 5 minutes a day -- same as always) and amazes me every minute. I still marvel at how he can lay perfectly still, not even twitching a muscle for hours on end; how he sleeps with his eyes open (FREAKY!!!!); and how this normally sedate boy just goes crazy when he is squeaking his snake or bunny.

His next x-ray will be in August. He continues on the Palladia metronomic protocol with no problems, other than some hair and whisker loss.

Twisty has not been doing so well this last week. I had her feeling well enough that she put on most of the weight she lost and was eating kibble mixed in with her meat, rice, and pancakes. This past week she has not been eating much and has gone back to being willing to eat only meat. She is currently getting 5 medications for her stomach (we added cerenia and reglan to her pepcid, ondansetron, and sucralfate), but no improvement 4 days into the new regimen. She continues to get subQ fluids twice daily, which does make her feel a lot better. She has also been taking prednisone and Leukeran to control the lymphoma. I am taking her into to OSU on Wednesday to get some bloodwork and see if they have other suggestions. I am not optimistic.

Lastly, I am somewhat of a wreck. I injured my back last Friday and have been laid up in bed ever since. The house is a total disaster. I am depressed and feeling very sorry for myself right now. But life goes on....

Jane

Jane, what did you do to your back? I strained my trapezius again so I think I know your pain to some extent at least. Hang in there.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Jane, what did you do to your back? I strained my trapezius again so I think I know your pain to some extent at least. Hang in there.

I have two very bad discs, so I am used to back pain (along with pain down my legs). I'm not sure what I did to cause it but the right side of my ribcage is very painful. I don't remember doing anything to it, just woke up on Saturday not being able to move. I am hoping that it is muscle spasms and not another bad disc (the other two are in the lumbar area so don't cause this problem). So I am taking my percocet and muscle relaxer and resting. If it doesn't go away in a week on its own I will go to the doctor.

Dude's x-rays are CLEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:confetti:confetti:confetti:confetti:confetti:confetti:confetti

Now we go on maintenance monitoring with bloodwork and x-rays every three months!!!!!

His once was really pleased with his energy level, his attitude, his physical exam and everything. His weight is stable and he's eating well.

We are so relieved and excited!!!!!

Here's hoping that Berkeley has an easy surgery on Thursday. Please let us know how he does!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Dude's x-rays are CLEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:confetti:confetti:confetti:confetti:confetti:confetti:confetti

Now we go on maintenance monitoring with bloodwork and x-rays every three months!!!!!

Oh, hurray!

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Great news for Joejoe nearing his 1 yr mark!!! Sorry to hear about your back Jane. Back problems are really really bad.

Way to go Dude! I had complete faith they x-rays would come back clear!!!

Guest azlorenz

I will be sending positive energy your way on Thursday. Take it hour-by-hour/day-by-day and you will be amazed. :grouphug

It warms my heart to know that so many pups are kicking cancers butt! :clap

Go Dude!!! :yay:confetti:yay:confetti

We just dropped Berk off at the vet. Will let you all know how he does.

I got in late last night from a work trip, so I am working on about 4 hours of unrestful sleep.... which really isn't good for my mental state right now. Blah.

The amicar gave him diarrhea. :( Is that common?

I should also add - way to go Dude!!!

Diamond was on amicar, but I don't think I started early enough to notice diarrhea. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

And please remember. No matter what the outcome, your decision was made out of love for Berk.

Edited by MP_the4pack