Could Use Some Prayers

Guest caelanarcher

Guest caelanarcher

I know I haven't been around for a while, but I could really use some prayers for Aaron.

This morning when I got up to take him on his walk, he was... off. Normally he's very excited, wiggly, jumpy in the morning. This morning, he just got off of his bed and stood there. Going down the stairs, he seemed hesitant. On the way back up, he stopped a few times, and it seemed like his back legs were troubling him. Then I noticed that the glands under his jaw were really swollen. We were supposed to be packing up for a road trip to PA to be with family for Christmas, but that plan fizzled. We took him to the e-vet.

Apparently all of his lymph nodes are swollen except the ones on his groin. The ones on his rear legs are bothering him quite a bit. The doc says that with all the nodes swollen like that, it's going to be either a systemic infection, or lymphoma. She gave us a quote for the full panel of tests; cbc, tick panel, blood tests, biopsies, urinalysis, radiology, ultrasound. $2500 just for the diagnostics, and all due up front. Plus the cost of treatment for whatever it is. We negotiated to do just the blood tests and panel to see if we could rule out ehrlichiosis, and keep the initial costs down. The blood tests were apparently inconclusive (WBC count was not elevated), so we still don't know what it is. For now, we've got a week of doxy. I guess if he improves over this week, we'll know it's an infection, but the vet wrote on her report that she's still "very concerned that it may be cancer". We have an appointment with our regular vet on the 27th to see where we're at.

I'm kind of numb about the whole thing. He's not even 5 years old yet. If it turns out to be the big C, I don't even know what we'll do. The vet says lymphoma has a decent chance for remission, but I don't know what kind of forecast it has overall; will it come back? And I'm not really rolling in money right now. I can't even imagine how I could come up with thousands of dollars on the spot for heavy-duty treatments.

I know this went pretty long, but I would really appreciate it if you could keep us in your thoughts. Thanks.

ETA: I have a copy of the blood work, although most of it's gibberish to me. They have the WBC marked at 11.3, which is within normal for a dog, but isn't that high for a greyhound?

Edited by caelanarcher

Ugh, sorry you're having such a scare. That's a pretty high white count for a hound so perhaps there is an infection lurking about. The vet could sent the remaining blood to have a clinical path dr look for scary cells. Why didn't the vet aspirate the nodes?? Easy for me to say but, I wouldn't worry just yet- lots of things to rule out first.

Sending tons of white light and prayers to you and Aaron right now. I hope the doxy beats whatever it is right back and that he's feeling good again rightawayquick.

For now, we've got a week of doxy. I guess if he improves over this week, we'll know it's an infection

Not necessarily -- the antibiotic has to "match" the bacteria causing the infection. Doxy may give good results, or it may take a different antibiotic. The very quick onset of symptoms says it may be infection to me, but I am not a vet or technician.

I am very, very glad that you can get in to see your regular vet soon. We'll be keeping you and Aaron in our thoughts.

(Expenses like these are why I find pet insurance a necessity, since I have multiple animals.)

Guest caelanarcher

The very quick onset of symptoms says it may be infection to me, but I am not a vet or technician.

That's what I was thinking, too. I mean, yesterday he was just fine, and this morning, his jaw nodes are swollen like golf balls. Cancer doesn't just explode literally overnight like that, does it? Thinking hopeful thoughts.

Forgot to ask-- what is your hounds calcium blood value??

Elevation would indicate cancer is more of a possibilty.

While a high white count could indicate an infection it could also mean lymphoma is lurking. I really would ask your vet to have that clin path review performed on the remaining blood-- they would look for circulating lymphoblasts (the scary cells). Fingers crossed--- your pup is so young.

Not able to help with diagnosis, just wishing you and your boy all the best for a speedy recovery.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Shilo's lymphoma was a very quick onset in Feb. There are different types. His was the one that responds well to chemo. A couple of days on Pred got them down to normal and he underwent 25 weeks of chemo and is doing very well. I so hope you are not dealing with this. He did not act sick so maybe your's is infection. That cost is outrageous! I wonder why the rads and ultrasound?

Guest caelanarcher

Forgot to ask-- what is your hounds calcium blood value??

Elevation would indicate cancer is more of a possibilty.

While a high white count could indicate an infection it could also mean lymphoma is lurking. I really would ask your vet to have that clin path review performed on the remaining blood-- they would look for circulating lymphoblasts (the scary cells). Fingers crossed--- your pup is so young.

I've got CA listed on the Full Chemistry Profile; is that it? the value listed is 9.5, which looks like it's within normal levels, at least for a "real" dog. If it helps, I've also got the results for a CBC Morphology (neutrophils, bands, lymphocytes, etc etc etc). It's all kind of gibberish to me.

Just out of curiosity, what are the CBC morphology results?

I'm sorry you're going through this and hope that it is a nasty infection.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I don't know if CA is calcium or not... But I can tell you that the calcium reading should be 9.9 +/- 0.6.

Edit: I pulled up the periodic table of elements and yes, Ca is Calcium. So your pup's calcium result is in the normal range.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

I don't know if CA is calcium or not... But I can tell you that the calcium reading should be 9.9 +/- 0.6.

What the reading *should* be really is not an absolute value -- it depends on the individual lab. Different labs have different norms. 9.9 +/- 0.6 might be a reasonable ballpark, but an individual lab could have a norm that falls outside that range on either end.

The normals for the lab that did the bloodwork are usually listed on the results report -- those are the normals you want to pay attention to. They will be the normals for all breeds, so you and your vet have to remember that a few things usually are different for greyhounds.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

No advice, just thinking good thoughts for you and your pup. It could very well just be an infection. Keep us posted.

BTW, doing all of those tests up front and paying for them at once seems weird to me. I would start with one test at a time. If it turns out to be an infection (which could be diagnosed with a FNA(fine needle aspiration), I think), there might not be a need for radiology or ultrasound.

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.

Guest caelanarcher

Last night, Aaron only ate a few mouthfuls of his food before going back to bed. I think it was more tiredness than nausea though, because he licked the bowl clean when I brought it over to him so he could eat lying down.

He seems to be doing a little better this morning. Not quite as painful (probably with some help from the tramadol), and up to some of his regular antics. Sniffed everything on our walk, and barked at the mean Jack Russell. He's smoother on the stairs, and did his kibble-dance (although his back legs are still a bit weak). I know it doesn't necessarily mean anything one way or the other, but it really does my heart good to see him in a bit less pain. Calling the regular vet today to see what his opinion is, if we need any more tests, and if he can compare Aaron's blood workup to that of a greyhound instead of generic "canine".

I can't interpret the blood values but I have been through Lymphoma three times within the past 18 months.

A needle aspirate of the lymph nodes is going to narrow down whether you are dealing with Lymphoma. I would do that before committing to any other testing.

I chose not to do chemo. If you want to discuss the various treatment, costs and results please pm me.

Many prayers and good thoughts.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Just sending good thoughts for Aaron and you.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Please take him your regular vet. I'm sure he'll want to aspirate those nodes. While an aspirate doesn't always give you an answer it's usually the first place to start. Glad he seems a bit better today. Does he have a fever??

I agree, and if it makes you feel any better, a lymph node FNA is not a big deal - I actually had a lymph node aspirated recently and it was not bad, at all, I didn't even need a local anesthetic.

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.