Althea Has A Heart Murmur

Guest EmbersDad

Guest EmbersDad

took althea for a follow up visit for an ear infection, which thankfully has cleared, and the vet heard a mild heart murmur. its a 1 out of a 6 and is barely audible. i am not too woried as she is still young and is acting very much like a normal greyhound. anyone else have puppers with a noisy ticker?

Glad to read that it's nothing to worry too much about, Tom! Please give a big smooch to that crazy girl of yours from me :kiss2

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Maggie also has a 1/6 murmur. I don't know if Althea raced - but Maggie's murmur didn't stop her from racing (in the $$ 56%) and currently stirring terror in the hearts of neighborhood wildlife. I have a rather casual attitude regarding the murmur. And that comes from watching my sister my whole life, who has a fairly significant heart murmur. It's never stopped her from doing everything and anything she's wanted to do. I think it will be the same for Althea.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

Most retired racing greyhounds have what sounds like (and I suppose is) a mild heart murmur due to left ventricular enlargement. Basically, they've got big strong hearts and when they pump you're liable to hear some sounds that you wouldn't in another dog. Some vets are aware of that, some aren't. If in doubt, I'd do an echocardiogram.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest jettcricket

One of mine also had one and you just need to be careful of any "bloody" procedure (like teeth cleaning) to make sure that they are on antibiotics a few days before the procedure in addition to after.

When Jett had his dentals my vet never put him on antibiotics and Jett never had a problem, but they were basic dentals. I know in years past with people (I have a murmur) they used to make you take antibiotics....now they don't. I guess the risk isn't as high as they thought. Don't know if it's the same with animals.

Most retired racing greyhounds have what sounds like (and I suppose is) a mild heart murmur due to left ventricular enlargement. Basically, they've got big strong hearts and when they pump you're liable to hear some sounds that you wouldn't in another dog. Some vets are aware of that, some aren't. If in doubt, I'd do an echocardiogram.

Wow...that's interesting.

Guest Greyglo

Bunny has one, too, Tom. I had an EKG done at Red Bank. Good to be aware of but hasn't been much of an issue for her the past five years. Wishing Althea the same.

Sending kisses to your crew -

This is kind of what I thought! Rainy has a 2/6 grade and the vet thought I was crazy when I tried to tell her it was fairly normal in greys. :huh

------

Jessica

Most GH have a low heart murmur. Vets who deal a lot with GH don't usually even mention it. The only vet who ever said anything about any of our hounds was about Teddy. It was a holistic vet who knew nothing about GHs and thought he had a problem because his BUN and creatine was "off", he had bald thigh symdrome which she thought was for a medical reason and he had a heart murmur. We switched holistic vets!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest EmbersDad

i didnt think it was such a big deal and seem to even remember hearing what everyone has posted about so far. the vet that saw althea is not my usual one, and she is young so maybe her experience with greys has been limited. im going to let the queen....the diva of dump :lol just be herself. i really dontthink its a cause for concern. thanks everybody for easing my worried mind.

"Heart murmur" is very subjective Tom. You could have another vet listen and tell you it was totally normal.

I had a vet at Angell tell me that my Kramer had a heart murmur, and he recommended all kinds of stuff--to which I replied, "Why? He's not going to have a transplant!" and I declined.

Not long after, my dog needed surgery. Extensive presurgical exams--the other vet said Kramer had the heart of an athlete with ZERO murmur...

And in fact no other vet ever said he had a murmur.

I've had the same thing happen with George with the different vets he's seen. One thought he had one, the other three did not.

Even if she does, I would not worry about a grade 1.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

"Heart murmur" is very subjective Tom. You could have another vet listen and tell you it was totally normal.

:nod

My mom's pup Goody (age 6) has what both vets at the practice feel is a grade 3 murmur. They told my mom that they could run some tests, etc. if she wanted, but they just recommended watching her diet (keeping the sodium low) and watching for any changes in her energy level, etc. that might indicate that the murmur might be getting worse. They said that they might want to do some testing if she needs surgery for any reason :dunno

I definitely wouldn't worry about Althea's "murmur" :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

My Kiowa was diagnosed with a heart murmur that I think was a level 3. He was 10 at the time and I had noticed that he was getting pooped out much earlier on walks or running laps and breathing much heavier than normal. After even a short walk or 2-3 laps in the yard he would flop down and lay there panting. My vet put him on (I think) 15 mg of Lasix and he perked right up. Unless you are seeing any symptoms of anything out of the norm, I wouldn't worry about it.

we just heard dr. couto speak at Greyhounds Rock event. he said that nearly every greyhound has a heart murmur. this has to do with the the large volume of blood greyhounds pump through a relatively small valve in their hearts. as the high volume of blood rushes through the small heart valve it makes a whooshing sound that vets hear as a heart murmur. he said that whether or not a vet heard this murmur depended on where exactly they placed the stethoscope. it also depended on the size of the stethoscope the vet used.

dr. couto said that OSU frequently receives requests for consults for greyhounds having suspected heart disease because vets unfamiliar with greyhound medical idiosyncrasies misdiagnose these murmurs. this is a common reason for referral to OSU's heath and wellness program.

you can read more information on greyhound hearts, published by OSU, here.

Edited by 45MPHK9

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan