All The Dogs Are Throwing Up

Guest zombrie

Guest zombrie

The day before yesterday, Caesar threw up and wasn't himself at all. Yesterday he had not been feeling well all day and had the big D. I thought, he must have eaten something

Then Kodie threw up after our walk. I thought, she ate a lot of leaves on the walk, she throws up a lot.

Then Doolin threw up in the car. I thought, he got carsick, this wouldn't be the first time.

Then Mira threw up. She never EVER gets sick. She's only thrown up one other time since we have had her.

Could it be something in their food? No, Doolin and Caesar are on a different brand than Mira and Kodie. I picked up their water bowl and put a new one down in case it was something in the water. We had bought a bird house for the yard a week ago, could they be eating the seeds and it's making them sick? Other than that, nothing is new. Any ideas on why they could all be getting sick?!

I have no clue and the possibilities are endless, but are these isolated incidents or are they all still sick?

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest zombrie

They are all still sick this morning. Usually Caesar and Doolin are nut cases in the morning but they haven't moved. No body got up to greet me when I came downstairs. VERY unusual.

Earlier in the year Kyle started throwing up (very unusual) and had diarrhea. Then Gracie started with the diarrhea. Our vet thought it might be the "dog flu". So antibiotics and something for the diarrhea along with turkey & rice meals for a bit cleared things right up. We never were sure what it was though. Hope your "kids" get well quickly.

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

stomach bugs run thru dogs in a house the same way they do w/ kids. one gets it and passes it on. i remember the last time i dealt w/ a stuation like that both dogs were kept in the kitchen to contain the vomit and diaharreh. SPEAK TO YOUR VET, each one has their own way of dealing w/ it.you can also check the pull in their skin to see if they are dehydrated. skin naturally has some pull, if you can gently pinch an area and lift the skin a bit, that's normal- if it really stretches then they may need sub-q liquids. some vets like pepto, some don't, some like to just hold back on food and slowly introduce white rice.white rice is all liquid so there is no need to worry about a dog drinking. generally a dog w/ a stomach bug will NOT eat or drink.

a quick phone call and lots of paper towels anda mild disenfectant will be your best friend. in a couple of days it will have gone thru your house.

Edited by cleptogrey

Guest PhillyPups

If the vomiting continues, be very careful of dehydration. It could be a bug. I had one go through here, lasted about 24 hours each.

What I would do here, provided they are not dehydrating, I would give bottled water (in case there is something in the water), but fast (food) today then try boiled chicken and rice for 2 days and see what happens.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Beth was sick with vomiting and clearly feeling crappy about a week and a half ago, and after a good bit of diagnostic testing my vet feels it was a virus and said he'd seen a lot of that going around in the last few weeks. So it may not be anything you caused and certainly not the food. Especially with all of them getting it like that. But I do agree they may need fluids and you should take them to the vet.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Could it be something that is outside that they've gotten into?

Yes, this is worrying me, too. You've got good advice for taking care of all the queasy stomachs, but I'd suggest supervising their trips outside. No more birdseed snacks (for anyone with an appetite), no snacking on anything someone might have tossed into your yard, or the ever-popular rabbit poop (from daredevil bunnies just passing through).

Also, I think poop from a dog with diarrhea is popular with that dog and others as a potential snack because of undigested protein in the poop. It's another reason you might not want them outside unsupervised. If you can't take them all out on leash at once, I'd take them separately and pick up after them. (Hint: Take paper plates. When someone squats, stick a plate under them quickly. It makes pick-up of soft poop more feasible.)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Oh, and over-boil the rice. You want the rice all soft and mushy. Otherwise, if someone vomits--sometimes hours after a meal--you may get back all the rice intact. (Please don't ask how I know that...)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest zombrie

Thanks everybody for the tips!

Before I checked back I had offered them all a very small amount of cooked hamburger for breakfast and both the greyhounds refused, the non greys ate it. Non of them are dehydrated as of right now, but they will be closely watched for the next couple days

Guest Energy11

Did you open a new bag of food? About three months ago, ALL of mine had The Big D, and it was the food :-(

I like giving Pepcid AC (genreic is fine) and a bland diet of either boiled chicken and white rice, OR Purina EN or Science Diet ID, Veterinary diets. They work!

Good Luck!

Guest zombrie

Did you open a new bag of food? About three months ago, ALL of mine had The Big D, and it was the food :-(

I like giving Pepcid AC (genreic is fine) and a bland diet of either boiled chicken and white rice, OR Purina EN or Science Diet ID, Veterinary diets. They work!

Good Luck!

That was my first thought but like I said in the original post, Caesar and Doolin are on a different food than Kodie and Mira because of food allergies.

The dogs all seem content tonight, just sleeping around and so far nobody else has the big d. Caesar is starting to pep up and showing activity. Talking to people, it sounds like there is a doggy stomach virus spreading like crazy. Hopefully whatever it is, it is a fast moving virus and they will be back to normal soon.

Not as likely to be the bird seed making them sick as it is the exponential increase in bird feces in your yard. Birds carry lots of disease.

This

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

You might want to get a prescription from your vet for them for Flagyl to help with the diarrhea & stomach upset. We had a virus go thru all the pups two years ago. Same symptoms. They were put on rice & ground meat (hamburg, turkey or chicken) for two days, treated with Flagyl for the stomach problems and slowly had their normal food reintroduced over a couple of days.

It's hard having several sick pups at the same time. Good luck and hope they recover quickly.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Not as likely to be the bird seed making them sick as it is the exponential increase in bird feces in your yard. Birds carry lots of disease.

This

When we had an episode of puking dogs, a bird bath was the culprit. Birdies were pooping in it.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Bird seed can make dogs very sick. Bacteria and mold build up very quickly in seed once it gets moist and/or drops to the ground. (Can make birds sick, too.)

If all dogs are back to normal, great. If any dogs are still vomiting or lethargic, a call or visit to your vet may be in order. If any dogs continue to vomit, try to note the color, contents, and time they get sick. It's definitely a concern when all your dogs are sick at once. I assume you didn't find any dead animals in the yard in which the dogs were taking an interest (rats that could have eaten poison, downed birds, etc.).

Good luck!

Guest zombrie

We are moving the bird house, I did not know the dangers of having one in the dog's run area.

All the pups are back to normal and eating/playing/running again. :)