Brand Of Vaccines

Information on reporting, adverse reactions:

Adverse Reactions

How/Where to report a possible reaction to a Vaccine:

Adverse reactions to vaccines for animals should be reported to the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Animal and Plant Inspection Service, Center for Veterinary Biologics -- (800) 752-6255. This is a link to their Home Page on reporting ADEs to biologic products, including vaccines --

Report Adverse Reaction

Edited by Burpdog

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Bumping for Havoc and Cash. We really need this type of info! Thanks!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I have a call in to my vet for ths info, but they aren't open on the weekends. Will post as soon as I get it.

Cash did get three vaccines at the same time - rabies, DAPP, and another normal one. She has had all these shots before, at the same time, from this vet and clinic, though obviously not for several years (rabies is a three year shot). Her physical exam was completely fine, and the bloodwork they pulled (to check liver and kidney values for her alprazolam) were also normal.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest lilpnai09

Havoc had the 3 year vaccine. Manufacturer was IMR and the lot number was 12542. He didn't receive any other vaccines that day. Within 20-25 minutes of receiving the rabies vaccine, Havoc became limp and started seizing. I hope this information helps because I don't want anyone else to go through this.

Guest buttonwillow

Please also report to the vaccine manufacturer, they will want to know and are legally required to track adverse events. Check the website for the manufacturer for a contact number.

I had Noelle at the vets yesterday for a BG check & asked him if he'd heard of any dogs around here having problems & he said not in his practice but now will be on the look out & that it did sound like a problem with the vacine used & needed to be reported. He knows I worry about all the dogs but expecially Noelle. He takes very good care of everyone so I trust him.

I wish Georgia would allow the 3 year rabies shot.

Are you sure of this? If so, when did that change take place? Is it possible this is a problem with just your county or your particular vet?

We have been using 3 year rabies shots for over a decade. Just checked with our vet's office & they have no info on a switch from allowing 3-year inoculations. The most recent info I could for Georgia itself is the Greorgia Rabies Control Manual from January 2007. The vaccination protocol includes triennial vaccines. The Code of Walton County includes triennial vaccination as well. There have been counties that tried to require annual vaccinations for licensing. I believe Gwinnett did but it looks like the county ordinance now says "using only those vaccines prescribed and/or approved by the state department of human resources." I think that would be the ones listed in the state rabies control manual.

Please let us know if there was a recent change.

Bumping for information about the vaccine that caused a problem for Cash.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Burpdog, this is from an earlier post I made about Minny's bad rxn to the shot. I can get you the lot# if you need it.

"Something fishy appears to be going on with recent rabies vaccine. I have observed an unusually large number of dogs have had adverse reactions-including my Minny. I alerted my sister-her dog is due- and she discussed it with her vet in MD. The vet told her that Fort Dodge had put "something new"huh2.gif in their vaccine and that they had quit using it as it was making too many dogs sick. Now when I reported Minny's adverse reaction I discovered that Fort Dodge had been purchased by Pfitzer? Well it was a Pfitzer vaccine that Minny reacted so violently too. Only recently a west nile vaccine for horses had to be recalled because it was killing horses! Oh and be sure and wait a little while before you leave after their vaccination so that they will be able to get the required emergency treatment if they have a reaction to it.smile.gif "

Complete info on the original post about it. He received only the 3 year rabies rabies shot that day.

Bumping for more info. Please post if your dog (any dog) has had any kind of reaction. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

An update:

The rabies vaccine Cash got was Schering Plough (killed virus) Lot # S950684B

I'm off now to try and report this wear it needs reporting.

Also FYI, through all this I found out that it's possible - at least here in Oregon - to get a medical dispensation from vaccines for licensing purposes. You may want to check this out with your own licensing authorities. Especially if your dogs are mostly at home and don't come into contact with other dogs or wildlife on a regular basis, they may not need regularly scheduled vaccines. You can also find a vet to run titers for various antibodies to see if they even need boosters.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Interestingly, I asked my vet just today about the rabies vaccine they use. I was told mfg by Merial and they would not use the rabies vaccine made by Pfizer. However, I think she also said Ft. Dodge, which if they have been purchased by Pfizer means they do.

Dr. Feeman: We use Rabdomun... manufactured by Pfizer but distributed by Schering Plough.

So, does anyone else think this is confusing????

The one thing I learned long ago, was never give the vaccines on the same day -- split them up, and never give them on the same day they go under anesthesia.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

May not be a problem with the vaccines at all but just a freaky coincidence that 2 dogs on the board had a severe reaction @ the same timeframe.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I think I said this in a differrent thread: When a substance whose sole purpose is to affect the immune system is injected, it's like opening Pandora's box. You never know what's going to come out. But, whatever it is, good or bad, will stay out...................forever.

I agree with Jey - hopefully the two reactions are just coincidental but as Diane said, multiple vaccines on the same day may just be a little too overwhelming for some dog's immune systems. Additionally, sick dogs, immune compromised dogs or dogs that will be undergoing any sort of stress - medical or otherwise - would be better served by postponing the shots for another time.

On a personal note, I made the decision to never have the combo shot administered to my dogs. Too much at one time. I also titer and do not revaccinate until the titers indicate the need, except for rabies which is required every three years in my county. My regular Vet and a board certified internist at our E-Vet of choice follow the same protocol. The internist's indoor-only cats have never been vaccinated for anything.

Please report any and all reactions as requested in earlier posts.

There are 3 dogs, all within a few months. Granted we have a lot of dogs on here, but three we heard about -- how many haven't we?

Could it be a coincidence? It could, but maybe it is the vaccine. I see that two of the greys only had the rabies vaccine that day.

I know that the rabies vaccine is the one with the most reactions. <very big sigh>

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

But, it sounds like different lots from different manufacturers? That would suggest not a common element.

Not saying these were random events, just that they could be.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I think I said this in a differrent thread: When a substance whose sole purpose is to affect the immune system is injected, it's like opening Pandora's box. You never know what's going to come out. But, whatever it is, good or bad, will stay out...................forever.

I agree with Jey - hopefully the two reactions are just coincidental but as Diane said, multiple vaccines on the same day may just be a little too overwhelming for some dog's immune systems. Additionally, sick dogs, immune compromised dogs or dogs that will be undergoing any sort of stress - medical or otherwise - would be better served by postponing the shots for another time.

On a personal note, I made the decision to never have the combo shot administered to my dogs. Too much at one time. I also titer and do not revaccinate until the titers indicate the need, except for rabies which is required every three years in my county. My regular Vet and a board certified internist at our E-Vet of choice follow the same protocol. The internist's indoor-only cats have never been vaccinated for anything.

Please report any and all reactions as requested in earlier posts.

:nod

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Until there's a better idea about which vaccine might be the problem, there's one action we all can take when our dogs are vaccinated: schedule the appointment early enough in the day (i.e., don't get the last appointment of the day) and leave ourselves enough time to sit in the waiting room for 30-45 minutes after the injection. This won't prevent a bad reaction, but it will put us in the best place to get immediate help for our dogs, and will prevent us from having to drive frantically through traffic, trying to get our dogs back to the vet while the dog is seizing or otherwise having a bad reaction.

I read a similar bit of advice with regard to getting small animals (like ferrets) vaccinated. And I know the local pharmacy that gives flu shots asks patients to remain in the store for 15 minutes after the shot to make sure any problems can be addressed right away.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)