Turkey Necks?

IAMs

You can usually find turkey necks and chicken feet ... good for the hounds joints ... at Mexican and Asian markets. While you're there check out the other inexpensive organ meats, I don't feed entirely raw but I do follow up turkey necks with a bit of other or Gracie poops rocks!

gallery_13728_3197_7131.jpg

Charla, Mom to Carl ( Bella Monsoon ) 5/2002 - 9/2016 and remembering Gracie Rose ( Cee Bar Xtreme ) 2/2002 - 1/2014

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My boys love turkey necks! Cliff doesn't have the teeth any more to eat them, but he has fond memories of them I'm sure. B) Jack gets them twice a month- I find them a lot at Tops/P&C (if you have them in your area?). He goes ape when they come out of the freezer.

My first greyhound, Lucy, refused to touch them! She was NOT into raw at all.

Word of warning- turkey necks are incredibly slimy and really, um, phallic- be prepared when you open the package, LOL!!! :lol

Jen

Guest BonnieW

Draco had his first turkey neck today. I finally found some at Walmart, of all places. It was not frozen yet when I gave it to him, so it took him like 10 minutes to eat it. I'm sure you are going to laugh at me when I ask this...do the turkey necks make them feel sleepy? :blush He loved his neck and has been sleeping all afternoon since he ate it. He missed his 5:00 zoomies this evening. Not the first time he wasn't in the mood to run in the evening, but I was wondering if the turkey would make in sleepy?

Draco had his first turkey neck today. I finally found some at Walmart, of all places. It was not frozen yet when I gave it to him, so it took him like 10 minutes to eat it. I'm sure you are going to laugh at me when I ask this...do the turkey necks make them feel sleepy? :blush He loved his neck and has been sleeping all afternoon since he ate it. He missed his 5:00 zoomies this evening. Not the first time he wasn't in the mood to run in the evening, but I was wondering if the turkey would make in sleepy?

Thanksgiving turkey (white meat, not necks) sure makes me sleepy, probably will for Draco too, but I don't know for sure.

Guest Swifthounds

IF he's not raw fed, all that chewing is quite the workout, so he's probably tired. The tryptophan myth about making people or dogs sleepy after eating turkey has been debunked. A good jaw muscle workout does the trick!

Guest BonnieW

Draco is not raw fed, so that does make sense. All that chewing must have did him some good. He slept like a baby that afternoon! DH still thinks it's the trypotophan. Guess it doesn't matter, their good for him and he really liked it, so I'll be sure to have them on hand! ;)

Guest Swifthounds

It's funny about the tryptophan thing still lingering. If you look up the amounts in equivalent portions of turkey and pork, there's only a teensy bit more in the turkey. The myth does make us feel better about the big snooze after out huge Thanksgiving effort, though... :colgate

II think the first time you feed a raw, bony item to a dog is the first time you really get a glimpse at that they mentally miss out on with kibble. Mine slept like babies - all of them - after the first meal.

• 7 months later...

So, if I want to give Robin one for his teeth, I just get one at the grocery store and let him go to town? Sounds scary, with all the bones and stuff. :unsure He'll just eat it? I'm thinking about trying it, but I may have an anxiety attack while I watch him. Is that okay? :P

eta: He doesn't eat raw and hasn't in the 7 years we've had him. When he gets my roommate's dog's bones, though, he will chew until his gums bleed. That's why I have some concerns....

Edited by Robin1017
Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

So, if I want to give Robin one for his teeth, I just get one at the grocery store and let him go to town? Sounds scary, with all the bones and stuff. :unsure He'll just eat it? I'm thinking about trying it, but I may have an anxiety attack while I watch him. Is that okay? :P

eta: He doesn't eat raw and hasn't in the 7 years we've had him. When he gets my roommate's dog's bones, though, he will chew until his gums bleed. That's why I have some concerns....

If Robin loves bones he will certainly like eating the turkey necks ;)

Yes first times giving them are a scary experience for the grey owner, but it will go fine :colgate yes Robin will swallow piece that seems big to you but dont worry, he chew them good and it's all digestible in a dog stomac :blush

Otis loves turkey and capon necks.

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

If Robin loves bones he will certainly like eating the turkey necks ;)

Yes first times giving them are a scary experience for the grey owner, but it will go fine :colgate yes Robin will swallow piece that seems big to you but dont worry, he chew them good and it's all digestible in a dog stomac :blush

Otis loves turkey and capon necks.

Robin doesn't just love the bones that my roommate's dog gets--he OBSESSES over them. He will sneak into that room at any opportunity to steal them and then chews on them until he bleeds. :eek Big marrow bones. So I do want to try the turkey necks. Plus, if it helps his teeth.... But yes, it probably will terrify me at first. But thank you for the reassurance! Now I just have to locate them.... :)

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

Mmmmm, turkey necks are Kasey's favorite. He loves them (raw). And it has the right amount of bone in them to keep his system happy for a day or two. :) He's a sloppy eater though, so I have to hold the neck as he chews or it ends up ALL OVER my floor and I have extra work to clean up. (Sorry, this doesn't make it sound appetizing, but you can indeed feed it raw and all to our pups. I was skeptical at first, but it's totally possible.)

I'd just be concerned about giving one raw thing for the first time ever, and then a raw thing the next week, without having their system transition over all at once. I'm sure other people have more experience with "irregular" raw feeding. It's sorta, sorry the pun, going cold turkey in order to feed raw, and I'd think it's all or nothing after being there and doing that. I don't know if there is an "in between" time where you still feed kibble, because IMO that will just mess up the dog's system more.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest BillF

I tried Walmart this morning and found a package of smoked turkey necks. Is that what you guys use? Does it make a difference that they are smoked?

Thanks

Bill

I tried Walmart this morning and found a package of smoked turkey necks. Is that what you guys use? Does it make a difference that they are smoked?

Thanks

Bill

I personnally dont feed smoked thing. lots of times those part are chimicaly smoke and I dont want my grey to eat that. You can find fresh turkey necks at a butcher or at an asian grocery store. Iusually froze hem and give hem froze so it tkaes moe time to eat, so more fun ;)

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

What KennelMom said. Carl and Claire love raw turkey necks and duck necks (only raw). I prefer the duck necks as they are a more manageable size. I remember the first time I gave them each a turkey neck, I was soooo scared! It was over a year ago and they now get a duck neck every morning.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Draco is not a huge fan of brushing. Do any of you have a suggestion on where I might get some turkey necks? I don't have a butcher shop here in Milton, FL.

Thanx,

Bonnie

Do have have Publix Supermarkets in your area? I get mine there.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I have been on the hunt for turkey necks for months now. I go to the supermarket meat departments, ask if they have turkey necks, and they look at me like I have six heads... "You want what?" :headwall

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

The one and only time I gave ours turkey necks, Phaelin, Kira and Zuma all got the big D but Little One was fine. We had a foster whippet, Hallie, at the time who had been an outdoor dog before she came to us (she was used to hunting things in the yard) and she did fine with the turkey neck. I haven't given any to mine since then. I wish I could because they all loved them, but ours seem to have really sensitive stomachs.....and not just with the turkey necks.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Guest PiagetsMom

The one and only time I gave ours turkey necks, Phaelin, Kira and Zuma all got the big D but Little One was fine. We had a foster whippet, Hallie, at the time who had been an outdoor dog before she came to us (she was used to hunting things in the yard) and she did fine with the turkey neck. I haven't given any to mine since then. I wish I could because they all loved them, but ours seem to have really sensitive stomachs.....and not just with the turkey necks.

and by XTRAWLD:

I'd just be concerned about giving one raw thing for the first time ever, and then a raw thing the next week, without having their system transition over all at once. I'm sure other people have more experience with "irregular" raw feeding. It's sorta, sorry the pun, going cold turkey in order to feed raw, and I'd think it's all or nothing after being there and doing that. I don't know if there is an "in between" time where you still feed kibble, because IMO that will just mess up the dog's system more.

This is the only reason I haven't given my pups the turkey necks. I'd love to give them for their teeth and DH has no problem getting them, but I worry that because they're not raw fed that there will be digestion issues. I guess there's no way of knowing unless I try, but I'm hesitant to because I have Mirage on the TOTW Pacific Stream thats alleviated some food related stomach issues we struggled with previously. :dunno

Edited by PiagetsMom

Guest BillF

Draco is not a huge fan of brushing. Do any of you have a suggestion on where I might get some turkey necks? I don't have a butcher shop here in Milton, FL.

Thanx,

Bonnie

We do have Publix Supermarkets here, but I can't find turkey necks there. I'm guessing they would be in the same area as poultry.

I also tried two asian and two mexican markets this morning. The closest I came was turkey sausage. I also tried Whole Foods a couple of months ago. The guy there said they never have them.

Does anyone know of a place in Birmingham, AL that carries them?

Thanks

Bill

Guest Pat2003

Thanx,

Bonnie

We do have Publix Supermarkets here, but I can't find turkey necks there. I'm guessing they would be in the same area as poultry.

I also tried two asian and two mexican markets this morning. The closest I came was turkey sausage. I also tried Whole Foods a couple of months ago. The guy there said they never have them.

Does anyone know of a place in Birmingham, AL that carries them?

Thanks

Bill

I get my turkey necks from Safeway, but I have to order them. I order a case, which is about 10 packages with 3 to 4 necks per package. Giving one neck per week amounts to almost a years supply of necks. Many stores have them around Thanksgiving and Christmas but most stores will order for you during the year, just ask the butcher. It takes 2-3 days to get them after ordering. If the weather is nice I give them outside, if not just plop a towel on a rug or dog bed and give them the neck. They are experts at cleaning up any mess and all you'll see is a slightly damp spot on the towel where they've tried to lick up every delicious bit. The towel goes in the washing machine and is clean and ready to go the next week.

Guest Swifthounds

Pass on anything smoked. Smoked bone is cooked bone and cooked bones splinter and are more difficult to digest.

If your hound experiences GI distress after turkey products, keep in mind that almost all turkey is enhanced with a sodium broth that will cause upset to some degree in most dogs. Some of the kosher or all natural ones do not have enhancements, butthey often run over $2 per pound or more. Some chicken parts may be enhanced, but it's less common ( and a chicken neck would be way too small to be safe for a greyhound sized dog). The easy thing with chicken is to look at the sodium content.

Pass on anything smoked. Smoked bone is cooked bone and cooked bones splinter and are more difficult to digest.

If your hound experiences GI distress after turkey products, keep in mind that almost all turkey is enhanced with a sodium broth that will cause upset to some degree in most dogs. Some of the kosher or all natural ones do not have enhancements, butthey often run over $2 per pound or more. Some chicken parts may be enhanced, but it's less common ( and a chicken neck would be way too small to be safe for a greyhound sized dog). The easy thing with chicken is to look at the sodium content.