Turkey Necks?

IAMs

I've got a big turkey neck sitting here (in the fridge) that I would love to share with Maya, but I'm not sure if it's safe. We don't feed raw, so I'd like to cook it. Should I just cook it then scrape the meat off the bone?

-Joel

Gwen (07/2003-11/2009),  * Maya (cancer , 06/2003-10/2013), *Ollie (cancer 07/2013 - 10/2018), *Azalea (cancer, 7/6/2015 - 5/20/2019), Ashe (cancer 04/2011 - 03/2020)

*Aztec (sister of Inca, 12/1996-08/2011), *Inca (half-Siamese kitty ,12/1996 - 9/2016)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't feed raw either, but I do buy them raw turkey necks (cut in half) and give them each a frozen one. I try to do that once or twice a week. They LOVE them! Don't cook it, just give it to her raw. I like to give it to them frozen so they really have to chew on them, it's good for their teeth. Sounds like a little girl is going to have a very happy Thanksgiving!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

No, don't cook it if you want to give it to the dog! Really, she can eat it raw just fine, although if it's really big (I've seen some that look like they came from a dinosaur :lol) you may want to cut it in half, especially if she's not used to it. Use a big knife or poultry shears and give it a good whack :)

Wait until you see how shiny the teeth get after eating a raw turkey neck. :colgate

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Whatever you do, DO NOT COOK IT AND GIVE TO YOUR DOGS. But, they would love to chew on it raw. if you want a little less mess, freeze it first!

2 out of our 5 eat raw but 3 of them enjoy the raw bones.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Just be ready, too, that if it's an average sized turkey neck they are likely to swallow a big honkin' piece of it whole at the end. Don't freak, they'll be fine -- I remember Beth's first turkey neck and my anxious GT post! They only chew it to get it small enough to slide down the gullet. Their digestive system will break it all down just fine -- it won't be coming out in a big piece and it won't give them a blockage. DON'T cut it up small if you want them to actually chew on it. You'll be surprised how fast they're going to work their way through it, especially if it's fully thawed.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

If it's the kind that comes inside a turkey, just hand it over. They are not that big and I would not recommend cutting it even smaller. I wouldn't cook it, that is more likely to cause issues (even without the bone IMO) than just giving it raw.

I had a hound that I gave a raw turkey neck to once a day for yrs and he did fine with them. When I first started with them I cut them into pieces about 4" long and gave it 2x a week so I could see how he tolerated them. I would not give a whole large neck to a dog that has never had one before, because if it doesn't agree with him you could have a mess on your hands.

Opie gets a piece of a turkey neck (they come cut up from the store I buy from) every night after we get home from work and he has his walk. There is a nice one sitting in the fridge from the turkey just waiting for my son to get here so he can eat it. He LOVES turkey necks! And yes, to the OP, do NOT cook it, feed it raw, as is. It may look disgusting to you, but your hound will love it!!

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

I don't do raw either but once a week I give them a partially frozen turkey neck and they love it. Never had a problem. Only reason I do partial is because it is winter and they have to eat them inside and I do not crate my dogs. If it is not partially frozen it can get a little messy.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Guest FullMetalFrank

This year (and last year) the majority of our Thanksgiving bird went to the hounds, prior to cooking, of course! We get a big tom; and I cut it up like a chicken leaving the breast whole and on the bone for us to roast. The back gets chopped into 4 sections and the rest portioned out (legs, thighs, wings, neck, giblets!) and packaged up for the hound's next few meals. It works out great and I get some really inexpensive meals for them when turkeys are .25 cents a pound!

Guest Swifthounds

This year (and last year) the majority of our Thanksgiving bird went to the hounds, prior to cooking, of course! We get a big tom; and I cut it up like a chicken leaving the breast whole and on the bone for us to roast. The back gets chopped into 4 sections and the rest portioned out (legs, thighs, wings, neck, giblets!) and packaged up for the hound's next few meals. It works out great and I get some really inexpensive meals for them when turkeys are .25 cents a pound!

This is a good idea for those who don't have anyone at their Thanksgiving who like dark meat. Just keep in mind that turkey that with turkey that cheap (as opposed to the more expensive turkeys, which do sometimes go on sale), you'll find the cheaper turkeys usually have a LOT of "enhancing solution" added - some up to 20 percent. Some dogs aren't really affected too much if fed occasionally; others will get itchy skin, etc. Also, look for the source of what's in any added solution (I've never seen and "unenhanced turkey available commercially, though you can sometimes get them that way from farms if you ask). Sometimes the solution is sea salt, etc., but most often, anything under .49/lb. has chemical enhancers. Just putting this out there because the companies have become quite adept at either hiding their "enhancements" or making them sound like a good idea. :rolleyes:

Guest PhillyPups

So how was the turkey neck experience?

Mine each get a turkey neck raw once a week for their teeth. They LOVE them. I take one out back at a time and just let them go at it. (No squabbling over food).

The funniest is Moe. She had her first with me over the age of 10. She did not know what to do with it, so I held it and rubbed it on her mouth so she could get the taste. She chomped a few bites and I put it down for her to go to town. She picked it up and dropped it on my foot. I held it some more and put it down, she dropped it on my foot again. Yes I have to hand feed my freaky little girl turkey necks until it gets to the end nib. But the total joy in her eyes as I hold it for her and she chomps is totally worth it. :wub:

Guest FullMetalFrank

This is a good idea for those who don't have anyone at their Thanksgiving who like dark meat. Just keep in mind that turkey that with turkey that cheap (as opposed to the more expensive turkeys, which do sometimes go on sale), you'll find the cheaper turkeys usually have a LOT of "enhancing solution" added - some up to 20 percent. Some dogs aren't really affected too much if fed occasionally; others will get itchy skin, etc. Also, look for the source of what's in any added solution (I've never seen and "unenhanced turkey available commercially, though you can sometimes get them that way from farms if you ask). Sometimes the solution is sea salt, etc., but most often, anything under .49/lb. has chemical enhancers. Just putting this out there because the companies have become quite adept at either hiding their "enhancements" or making them sound like a good idea. :rolleyes:

This is true. The bargain turkeys are usually the store brand and do have some solution added. I only do this once or twice a year and split between my three dogs they are only getting a few turkey meals. I wouldn't want to do a steady diet of the "enhanced" poultry, for sure.

Guest AmazinGreyz

After reading all the suggestions for turkey necks, I gave Ivan his first one yesterday. I fed it to him out in the yard. He spent about 20 minutes sphynxing like the king of the world gnawing away at it. He finished it up and seemed to love it.

Yes, feed the turkey neck raw and marvel tomorrow morning at the perfect poop that falls out of your dog and bounces on the grass.

Good snacks, good for the teeth :)

Guest avadogner

I recently tried offering Augie and Ava turkey neck pieces and had an interesting experience. Ava refused to ever touch it but Augie went nuts for it. So nuts in fact that he buried it and ended up drawing a rather brave racoon into our yard. Apparently he had been hiding them in various places and the racoon moved into our storage shed. I found the pieces in the shed by her nest. The DH has set up a no kill trap to catch her. We've seen her and she's a big girl and possibly pregnant. I don't want our hounds to tangle with her but I don't want her hurt either. The plan is to catch her and release her at a friends wooded property (with permission of course). Augie loves the turkey necks especially the ones that are smoked. I've learned to make sure he eats it and them take it away before he can hide it.

Guest BonnieW

Draco is not a huge fan of brushing. Do any of you have a suggestion on where I might get some turkey necks? I don't have a butcher shop here in Milton, FL.

Thanx,

Bonnie

Draco is not a huge fan of brushing. Do any of you have a suggestion on where I might get some turkey necks? I don't have a butcher shop here in Milton, FL.

Thanx,

Bonnie

I would ask at a local grocery store with a butcher section if that's all you have. Ask if they have any, or if they ever have any. They'll have them occasionally and will just package them and put them in the display cases to see if anyone wants them. That way you can have one for your hounds to try without having to buy too many on the off chance they don't like them or cause tummy trouble.

Once you know your dogs like them, go here, order in bulk: http://www.hare-today.com/index.php?cPath=21_36

You can also try duck necks.