Turkey Necks?

IAMs

Guest Swifthounds

Pass on anything smoked. Smoked bone is cooked bone and cooked bones splinter and are more difficult to digest.

If your hound experiences GI distress after turkey products, keep in mind that almost all turkey is enhanced with a sodium broth that will cause upset to some degree in most dogs. Some of the kosher or all natural ones do not have enhancements, butthey often run over $2 per pound or more. Some chicken parts may be enhanced, but it's less common ( and a chicken neck would be way too small to be safe for a greyhound sized dog). The easy thing with chicken is to look at the sodium content.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Swifthounds

Pass on anything smoked. Smoked bone is cooked bone and cooked bones splinter and are more difficult to digest.

If your hound experiences GI distress after turkey products, keep in mind that almost all turkey is enhanced with a sodium broth that will cause upset to some degree in most dogs. Some of the kosher or all natural ones do not have enhancements, butthey often run over $2 per pound or more. Some chicken parts may be enhanced, but it's less common ( and a chicken neck would be way too small to be safe for a greyhound sized dog). The easy thing with chicken is to look at the sodium content.

Guest greysmitten

I gave my girl neck for the first time last week and it was a terrible disaster. Woke up the next morning to poop ALL OVER the kitchen floor ... and my wool rug :unsure

Mine used to get turkey necks a couple of times a week. Lovely teeth. But the dogs started having diarrhea. It wasn't every time, at first, but it got more frequent and longer lasting, and my old boy can't afford those sudden "crash" diets.

Locally, my WalMart Supercenter regularly carries packaged Butterball turkey necks in the poultry department (i.e., I don't have to ask for special orders). This store has a large Hispanic customer base, and that may be the determining factor in whether or not a store carries the necks.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)