Has Anyone Ever Used Coconut Oll?

Since we moved to Florida Pongo has been allergic to something down here and I have tried numerous things that the vet has suggested and nothing has helped, he continues to scratch so bad that his fur started to come out in lumps. We have had numerous skin test done at the vets and we have not been able to find out exactly what it is he is allergic to everything keeps coming out negative. He has also had blood work done and everything is normal. he has no other symptoms but constant scratching and it only happens in the beginning of May and the end of September.

I was in the Specialty Dog Food store today in Apollo Beach and the lady told me to try Coconut Oil. She told me it was "Good" for itchy skin and that dogs stopped scratching after it was put in their food. She also said it was good for Dermatitis, cuts, wounds, ears, bites, stings, and that wounds have been known to heal a lot faster.

This may have been out for a while but I have never heard of it and wanted to know if other people have had experience with it before I purchased it. Thanks so Much for any feed back.

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest kelli123

I use coconut oil my self, cook with it put it on me and its supposed to also be good for allergies if eaten. it cant hurt him i bought mine off amazon. 16oz tub its made by jarrow

Thanks she also told me it was good for sensitive stomachs and there is numerous other uses... I guess it can't hurt to try it, I have tried everything else... I just wondered if anyone else had used it on their dog and had good results.

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

I've used it on myself but I bought it in the health food store and it's used in cooking so I can't see it hurting the dogs. I'm wondering if it would be good for the dog's coat?? Might just try it!

Someone told my mother it would help my father's Alzheimers...somehow I doubt that!

Are you giving the dog antihistamines?

Yes he has been on antihistamines but nothing seems to help.... He just keep scratching...

I use it for myself - as a lotion, to cook with. It's a great source of saturated fat. Here's some great info on it: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/coconut-oil-health-benefits/

Thank You!

darlenesiggy2.jpg

I've used it on myself but I bought it in the health food store and it's used in cooking so I can't see it hurting the dogs. I'm wondering if it would be good for the dog's coat?? Might just try it!

The lady was telling me that it is Great for their coat. I use Salmon oil for their coat now...I think I am going to try it, as log as it can't hurt them...

darlenesiggy2.jpg

Guest kelli123

It wont hurt them I eat it and they have some also. I know when I use it on my legs and arms they are licking me like a Popsicle. If you google coconut oil for pets there are lots of articles all stating good things about it. For pets and people.

Guest Greyhoundartist

Since we moved to Florida Pongo has been allergic to something down here and I have tried numerous things that the vet has suggested and nothing has helped, he continues to scratch so bad that his fur started to come out in lumps. We have had numerous skin test done at the vets and we have not been able to find out exactly what it is he is allergic to everything keeps coming out negative. He has also had blood work done and everything is normal. he has no other symptoms but constant scratching and it only happens in the beginning of May and the end of September.

I was in the Specialty Dog Food store today in Apollo Beach and the lady told me to try Coconut Oil. She told me it was "Good" for itchy skin and that dogs stopped scratching after it was put in their food. She also said it was good for Dermatitis, cuts, wounds, ears, bites, stings, and that wounds have been known to heal a lot faster.

This may have been out for a while but I have never heard of it and wanted to know if other people have had experience with it before I purchased it. Thanks so Much for any feed back.

Hi-

It shouldn't hurt and hopefully you'll update us if this works for your boy.

Best Wishes to you and the Hound Kidz-

Kevin

Guest mcsheltie

Coconut oil is fine to give. But I really doubt it is going to help Pongo if he is experiencing that severe of an environmental allergic reaction. Ask you vet about looking into something to help calm his immune system. Some dogs need Dexamethasone shots during the allergy season. Personally, I like to start with Pred or one of the oral glucocorticoid steroids to be sure he can tolerate them before going the injection route. Antihistamines work after the fact and are not strong enough to help this type of reaction. Dex will keep the reaction from happening.

I am thinking about trying it for Fletcher. He is getting a little flaky... let me rephrase that, his skin is getting a little flaky (his personality will always be a little flaky, no oil can cure that :lol) and he doesn't tolerate any kind of fish oil.

How much do you give?

Someone told my mother it would help my father's Alzheimers...somehow I doubt that!

Are you giving the dog antihistamines?

Yes he has been on antihistamines but nothing seems to help.... He just keep scratching...

I use it for myself - as a lotion, to cook with. It's a great source of saturated fat. Here's some great info on it: http://www.marksdail...ealth-benefits/

Thank You!

George didn't respond that well to Benadryl, so I gave him Clemastine fumarate (I believe that's the generic form of Chlortrimeton) and that worked a lot better for him.

I also used a coal tar shampoo on my last dog who was terribly allergic. About once a month really helped. When they got totally out of control (usually in August) he would go on a 10 day course of prednisone--fairly small dose--and that really helped.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Coconut oil is fine to give. But I really doubt it is going to help Pongo if he is experiencing that severe of an environmental allergic reaction. Ask you vet about looking into something to help calm his immune system. Some dogs need Dexamethasone shots during the allergy season. Personally, I like to start with Pred or one of the oral glucocorticoid steroids to be sure he can tolerate them before going the injection route. Antihistamines work after the fact and are not strong enough to help this type of reaction. Dex will keep the reaction from happening.

Thank You very Much. I called the vet and I have a appointment to bring him in on Saturday, and she says we will try the shot.

I am still going to try the Coconut Oil too.... I am sure it can't hurt, if anything it should help Jasmine and Aladdin's fur even though they do get fish oil everyday.

Hi-

It shouldn't hurt and hopefully you'll update us if this works for your boy.

Best Wishes to you and the Hound Kidz-

Kevin

Thanks Kevin! I will keep you all posted on the Coconut oil.

darlenesiggy2.jpg

• 4 months later...

The place I get our organic fruits and vegetables from has just introduced a line of coconut products (milk, sugar, flour, oil).

Before ordering, I wanted to circle back to this thread and get an update on everyone's experiences using coconut products, either for themselves or their hounds.

Thanks!

Guest KennelMom

coconut milk - yum! use it often to make curries or in sauces. pour over berries for a nice dessert.

coconut sugar - um...it's just sugar. Sugar is sugar. I believe it has a high fructose content (similar to agave) so I'd skip it. esp if you are trying to lose weight.

coconut flour - I've used it in some baking recipes since I avoid wheat. It's fine for what it is.

coconut oil - cook with the stuff all the time. (see link above). DH uses it on his skin as well, but I prefer almond oil.

Edited by KennelMom

I have not used it for cooking but I have used it in Pongos food, and his allergies have not been bothering him nor has he been scratching..... So I was very Happy with it... We need to now try it in our food. :colgate

darlenesiggy2.jpg

I've ordered the coconut milk (which is fresh vs canned, something I haven't seen before) as well as the oil and flour. Looking forward to trying the milk on fruit and also in smoothies; I bake lot of breakfast foods, so will sub in some of the flour there.

In addition to cooking with it, I'll try the oil on Arlie's food, as she does have some sensitivities.

I may try the sugar eventually, as apparently it's lower on the glycemic index than regular sugar, though I agree with Kennelmom that "sugar is sugar". They described the flavour as a cross between maple sugar and brown sugar, which intrigued me.

I have never heard of coconut sugar or flour but the oil is supposed to be good for all kinds of things. My niece has bad excema and she uses it topically and eats a small amount each day and it is now gone.

Also, my gynecologist said it is a more natural product to use.....shall I say....romantically. She said it is much safer and doesn't cause any allergy problems.

I bet it is good for dogs too. A lot of coconut info floating around right now.

Karen

Dr. Oz was raving about it the other day for all of the uses mentioned above.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I have not used it for cooking but I have used it in Pongos food, and his allergies have not been bothering him nor has he been scratching..... So I was very Happy with it... We need to now try it in our food. :colgate

Did you change anything else besides the coconut oil that could explain this?

I used it for JD, our 'Tzu with early renal failure and high blood pressure. It was suggested by or holistic Vet.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****