Supplements

Guest kydie

Guest kydie

:colgate Just wondered how many you add to your dogs meals daily? DH. says I'm crazy for adding what I do,, I give salmon oil and cranberry to each,,, the older ones get Dasaquin,

just started Melatonin on grey as I read here it may help promote hair growth, ( I feel so sorry for him here in the mountains with no hair on his butt) so thought I'd give it a try,,,,, just wondereing what you give? :)

Guest Energy11

Mine get a high quality kibble, high quality canned (*small amount), pumpkin and either green beans, spinach or greens, and yogurt, daily.

In addition to the above, they get a senior multi vitamin and joint supplements. ... oops ... forgot, fish oil for the four, and organic extra virgin olive oil for Cari (*she gets the Big D from the fish oil).

Yep, it takes a while to make their food! colgate.gif

Salmon oil and both of mine get a joint supplement b/c they've been diagnosed with osteoarthritis issues in various toes. That's it, but I feed a raw diet so I don't feel I need to do much else (of course Neyla is on a slew of stuff now, but those are for her cancer).

I'm curious, why the cranberry? Cranberry is an acidifier - I would worry it might throw things out of whack unless there's a specific reason you need to use it - but I will admit I know more about using it in cats than dogs.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

In addition to Wellness CORE kibble and canned food and assorted raw meats and bones, Wendy gets Salmon Oil twice a day, and once a day, glucosamine & chondroitin (from Ms. Claudia at Greyhound Gang), Fortiflora (for :fart) and a PetTab Plus with dinner.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Oh, I forgot, I have used probiotics with Neyla off and on.

For people interested in supplements, here's a really great article by Dr. Doug, a holistic vet out near Pgh. I know a few people on here from that area already know and love him - he is an incredible vet and I wouldn't hesitate to take his advice. I use a probiotic by the company he recommends (Vetri-science) for Neyla, but I went with a more complex formula, Vetri-probiotic BD b/c it has a lot of things to soothe the intestinal tract as well and I already use the Grizzly salmon oil.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest kydie

I have given cranberry to all my dogs for years,,, as an immunity booster and to help support the urinary tract of the dog, I have been lucky never to have UTI or any other uniary issues, or incontinance problems as they age :)

P.S. I met Dr Doug at a grey event, he is wonderful :)

Edited by kydie

I have given cranberry to all my dogs for years,,, as an immunity booster and to help support the urinary tract of the dog, I have been lucky never to have UTI or any other uniary issues, or incontinance problems as they age :)

P.S. I met Dr Doug at a grey event, he is wonderful :)

Good to know. We gave it for a bit to the cat who lives with me b/c he started developing crystals but I wondered if it wouldn't offset the balance in a healthy animal, but like I said, don't know much about it. Thanks for the info. And glad you like Dr. Doug too - I only wish he lived near me so he could be my regular vet.

Joseph gets a fish oil cap twice a day. Gidget gets Azodyl for her kidney issue. Otherwise, no supplements here altho we have used vitamin/mineral supplements to balance long-term homecooked meals.

Many popular supplements don't make sense in terms of dog (or human) metabolism/biology.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

My four get fish oil at breakfast, and yogurt for breakfast and dinner.

Copper (my ten year old) gets a joint supplement called Joint Oats from the Grizzly people. Seems like it helps him so we're continuing it.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest greytloves

Grizzly Salmon Oil and a Hip and Joint supplement.

My boy with discoid Lupus gets Nupro and double dosage of Salmon Oil.

Once a season we do a round of Probotics.

Guest mcsheltie

I give a high dose of fish oil so I also supplement with Vitamin E once a week. I also give raspberry seed powder. Studies have shown that the ellagitannins in red raspberries may help protect from cancer. I'll try to gain every advantage I can over Osteo. Even if it doesn't make any difference the antioxidants and phytonutrients in the powder can't hurt!

The older dogs get glucosamine and chondroitin.

I use probiotics as needed. I don't give digestive enzymes to a healthy dog. The body will slow down the production of its own enzymes if they aren't needed.

Longevity from Springtime Products (it's a combo of all of their products except the garlic) and fish oil caps with a high quality kibble.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Salmon oil and both of mine get a joint supplement b/c they've been diagnosed with osteoarthritis issues in various toes. That's it, but I feed a raw diet so I don't feel I need to do much else (of course Neyla is on a slew of stuff now, but those are for her cancer).

I'm curious, why the cranberry? Cranberry is an acidifier - I would worry it might throw things out of whack unless there's a specific reason you need to use it - but I will admit I know more about using it in cats than dogs.

Jen - I give Mandy cranberry pills because her urine was very alkaline and she kept getting UTIs. Before the cranberry, she had 5 or 6 UTIs in about a 9 month period. In the four years since we started the cranberry, she has had one. Her urine now has a good pH.

I also give her Springtime's Fresh Factors and Joint Health Chewables.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

The older ones: Joint Health, Fresh Factors, fish oil & vitamin E and have recently started Sea Meal on everyone. Grace, the young pita, gets fish oil.

How many fish oil capsules do you give each one and do you have to give vitamin E with it, I heard somewhere that you have to use both.

gallery_1200_2898_10946.jpg

Just Fish Oil Caps and MSM (both of my hounds are seniors).

I also take the Fish oil & MSM, too. cool.gif

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

Guest KsFrets

We started Magnus (bald butt) on Melitonin three months ago because of what we read here. I was positive it was bologna and wouldn't do anything. Ha! I was totaly wrong! We noticed peach fuzz after about two weeks, and at two months, beautifull soft furr, and all except for a little bullzeye, his butt is all grown out again!