Osteo Diagnosis

Guest azlorenz

Guest carolxi

Although, sometimes I wonder if the angels at the bridge are keeping him here longer because they are afraid of the food-filching havoc he will create with my bridge brittany, Polly.

made me laugh - i needed that this morning...i am worried about anubis - i pm'ed and no response and they haven't checked in - anybody know? thanks for the 1/2 tramadol idea - rivie is doing well the last few days and i'm going to try this idea out - thanks! i'll try to make you laugh again -- i was awakened last night to "very loud whiney breathing" sounds -- of course i panic and jump out of bed to check on rivie who is all spread out on her bed sleeping like a log -- it's win having a bad dream smile.gif just gotta love em! thoughts and prayers with all of you today - specially joe, pack, chase, anubis, johns mom -- well, the list goes on - my prayers are with all of us! thank you my friends -- i know we're all understanding & in this together no matter the path we take --

Hi Terri, Thanks for checking in with me and Anubis... I'm not on the computer at home very much these days as I'm spending what few hours I have at home with my bunny puppy boy. He too has been wanting lots of lovins. We have started spending time on the back porch after breakfast. He lies stretched out and I sit on the porch floor with him and give him tummy rubs as I have my morning coffee. Someone posted earlier that they realized that they had been ignoring their pup until he got sick. Well that's exactly what happened to me too. I guess we get so wrapped up in our daily lives and routines - rushing in the morning before leaving for work, etc, that we leave out the time for the pups. That all changes when they are sick. I agree that this horror has at least made me wake up and pet the puppy. :(

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest ChasesMum

previcox is for osteoarthritis type things/pain previcox

gabapentin is for nerve type pains gabapentin

tramadol is for acute and chronic pain tramadol

ya know, just cuz I was looking i thought I'd post it! lol

i was wondering about gabapentin for Chase but she seems to be doing ok on the tramadol. she is still hanging on pretty much the same, though her swelling is getting worse. i think if that wasnt happening she would be around a lot longer. aargh. :(

Guest greyt_learner

My co-workers dog (non-grey) was diagnosed with osteo 3 months ago and he was just started on previcox last week - she says the difference is amazing and he's responding so well to it that she's wondering why he wasn't getting it a while ago.

Guest carolxi

My poor little sweetie Anubis held up his sore leg and cried for quite a while this morning. He got excited, as he always does when we were getting ready to go for our morning walk. He did his cute little front leg jumps and then he lifted his bad leg (left hind) up quite high and cried and cried. All I could do was hug him and rub his tummy. It seemed to last forever. then it was gone just as quick as it came up and we went for our walk. It breaks my hears how he walks these days; he's so much slower than his normal self and he does quite a bit of panting. He also makes frequent stops. Last night I discovered a problem. He still wants to walk too far, and then he has trouble getting back home. I'm not sure how to deal with this. He seems to want to 'keep on going just a bit further' on the way 'there' and I don't want to take any pleasure away from him, but then we have the same distance to get back home. sad.gif Has anyone else had this problem?

What is the previcox? Anubis is also getting the tramadol twice a day and 2 Gabapentin once a day in the morning. The Gabapentin is a drug for diabetics for pain in their extremities because of poor circulation, I think.

Poor Anubis. It is terrible when our pups are in pain and want so much to help them. My heart breaks over Anubis. As for the walks, what about doing some sort of circle walk that way he will be thinking he is always going forward somewhere new? I am not sure where you walk currently, is it straight to one point and then direct back the same way? By walking in a circle, you'll always come back home hopefully before he tires.

Previcox is a drug for osteoarthritis, it's a NSAID. here's a link: http://previcox.us.merial.com/

Kyle

Thanks for the quick reply Kyle, Anubis would walk to the end of the earth and then if we changed direction, he would still not want to start back! We are in downtown Toronto, so our walks pretty much have to be straight up and down streets or turning corners -and he knows!!

Guest azlorenz

I've lost track of how many of us there were this week with Osteo diagnosis. I know myself, Charlie's Dad. Who else?

We lost Sherman 7/1. I'm still very sad, and miss him terribly.

I remember Sherman! We spent some time together at the Greyhound Gathering a few years ago. Remember, Flash got called "FAT" and not the "PHAT" kind. I'm so sorry to hear of his passing. He was a trooper.

Edited by azlorenz

previcox is for osteoarthritis type things/pain previcox

gabapentin is for nerve type pains gabapentin

tramadol is for acute and chronic pain tramadol

ya know, just cuz I was looking i thought I'd post it! lol

i was wondering about gabapentin for Chase but she seems to be doing ok on the tramadol. she is still hanging on pretty much the same, though her swelling is getting worse. i think if that wasnt happening she would be around a lot longer. aargh. :(

Wondering how Chase is doing today?

Remind me, where is her tumor? Wondering if you've considered IV pamidronate. I don't know if Kristin has been in this thread, her Sutra was dx'ed about a month before Neyla and just had his second infusion today. They seem to help him quite a bit and they do relive the swelling.

Our Tramadol experiment has ended. After a couple of days with the reduced dosage in the PM, I reduced the AM dosage as well. On day 2 of that, I thought Neyla seemed very stiff and slow in the evening. No obvious limp, but I decided it wasn't worth it to keep waiting to find out. Then last night, I think I accidentally gave her Deramaxx to Zuri. :rolleyes: Can't believe I did it - I know she got the supplements that she gets in meatballs, but I went into the kitchen while Zuri was still eating and saw her probiotic chewable in his bowl. I always drop the chewables (that and the Deramaxx are the only ones) in first, then put the others in meatballs. I must have accidentally switched bowls. I went back and forth about whether I was certain I had done it, but there was no other explanation and she seemed to be slightly painful by bedtime so I gave her one then.

I think I'm going to switch Neyla to a cyclic Artemisinin protocol this weekend to see if it helps her stool issues. I'm really nervous to make any changes - if it ain't broke, don't fix it, you know? But, there are a lot of people who believe the cycling is better anyway. :goodluck

ETA: I remember now taht you think Chase has lymphoma - I don't think pamidronate would apply for that, sorry.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest ChasesMum

Remind me, where is her tumor? Wondering if you've considered IV pamidronate. I don't know if Kristin has been in this thread, her Sutra was dx'ed about a month before Neyla and just had his second infusion today. They seem to help him quite a bit and they do relive the swelling.

thanks for asking... I was going to post but was waiting for a good time in my craaaaazy household!! SO she doesnt have an isolated tumor. The cardio saw nodules in her heart muscle, and the thought is that she has 'diffuse infiltrative neoplastic process' likely lymphoma, essentially everywhere. I wouldnt be surprised to hear that she had spots everywhere if they did an autopsy. And she isnt doing very well at all today. her breathing is very shallow, and her face is quite swollen, her throat is swollen, and all 4 legs are now swollen. Even her bum is swollen, and she has soft serve poo no matter what I do. this morning when she got up she looked like she had a half a racketball (sp?) in her cheek. She did manage to heave herself onto my bed this morning (that hasnt happened in a couple weeks). she's had a couple episodes (preeceeding her leap) of yelping and kind of running around our room.

Her lower lips are firm and she has lost any definition in her face/bridge of her nose. her eyes are sunken and small, and she has hardly moved off her bed except to pee for most of the day. When laying my hand on her chest (at the bottom of her lungs) i can feel pops and crackles. she doesnt seem comfortable anymore. She is very unstable when walking, and she won't do stairs anymore, no toys, minimal interest but will not get up when someone comes to the door (even gramma with a bag of treats). She slowly ate a half breakfast after a little convincing and there was a half can of a/d mixed into it.

Unfortunatley with the long weekend upon us, and the vets closed until Tuesday, and being that she is so much worse every day and unlikely to live to tuedsay, we would be forced to just drop into the emergency clinic at a random time to have her pts. So to halp her the best we can now, we have decided to take her into our regular vet at closing today and end her suffering. I have searched my soul and compared to how i felt on tuesday, i now feel like this is the right choice. tuesday i felt selfish and that it was unfair to me for having to lose my heartdog. today i feel that its unfair of me to keep her suffering just so i can have a few more moments. i am sad but in a different way than tuesday.

please keep us in your thoughts this evening, i'll still be around so i can roooooot for all the osteo houndies!

Karen.

Oh Karen, I'm so sorry. It does sound like you're making the best decision for her based on what you've described. Oh, my heart is just breaking. There is so much sadness lately b/w the Fort Worth dogs and all of these cancer dx. I will keep you both in my thoughts for sure and hope that Chase's passing is peaceful. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

{{{{{{{{{{Karen}}}}}}}}}} My thoughts are with you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest ChasesMum

thanks guys!

chase is having trouble swallowing, even soft treats today. She is kind of coughing and vommitting white foam and stuff, so I think this really solidifies the decision. poor pupper. :(

Baby girl ..... Give her a kiss for me and tell her how beautiful she is, OK?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Hug her for me too Karen.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

thanks guys!

chase is having trouble swallowing, even soft treats today. She is kind of coughing and vommitting white foam and stuff, so I think this really solidifies the decision. poor pupper. :(

karen - tears are streaming -- hugs to you -- my heart breaks for you and for myself, too - as i know it is coming all to soon for us as well. you have an understanding audience here you know!! you gave chase love and a wonderful home - and now you are giving her the honor of releasing at the right time - as painful as that is, i hope it is comforting. my dh and i have been over this recently with rivie's diagnosis -- rivie was a brood momma - a bit older and we considered this when adopting her - but decided if WE could bless HER for even a year and give her a loving home like she had never known that would be enough -- well, 5 years later i have gotten so selfish and it is not enough for ME!! i want her with me always - but she WILL always be in my heart - chase will be with you always - just not in the form she is in right now - and if there are no doggies in heaven, then i don't want to go either - just send me where they go :)

thanks guys!

Karen, I am so sorry you have had to make this decision so soon. My heart goes out to you and Chase.

Kyle

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest azlorenz

thanks for asking... I was going to post but was waiting for a good time in my craaaaazy household!! SO she doesnt have an isolated tumor. The cardio saw nodules in her heart muscle, and the thought is that she has 'diffuse infiltrative neoplastic process' likely lymphoma, essentially everywhere. I wouldnt be surprised to hear that she had spots everywhere if they did an autopsy. And she isnt doing very well at all today. her breathing is very shallow, and her face is quite swollen, her throat is swollen, and all 4 legs are now swollen. Even her bum is swollen, and she has soft serve poo no matter what I do. this morning when she got up she looked like she had a half a racketball (sp?) in her cheek. She did manage to heave herself onto my bed this morning (that hasnt happened in a couple weeks). she's had a couple episodes (preeceeding her leap) of yelping and kind of running around our room.

Her lower lips are firm and she has lost any definition in her face/bridge of her nose. her eyes are sunken and small, and she has hardly moved off her bed except to pee for most of the day. When laying my hand on her chest (at the bottom of her lungs) i can feel pops and crackles. she doesnt seem comfortable anymore. She is very unstable when walking, and she won't do stairs anymore, no toys, minimal interest but will not get up when someone comes to the door (even gramma with a bag of treats). She slowly ate a half breakfast after a little convincing and there was a half can of a/d mixed into it.

Unfortunatley with the long weekend upon us, and the vets closed until Tuesday, and being that she is so much worse every day and unlikely to live to tuedsay, we would be forced to just drop into the emergency clinic at a random time to have her pts. So to halp her the best we can now, we have decided to take her into our regular vet at closing today and end her suffering. I have searched my soul and compared to how i felt on tuesday, i now feel like this is the right choice. tuesday i felt selfish and that it was unfair to me for having to lose my heartdog. today i feel that its unfair of me to keep her suffering just so i can have a few more moments. i am sad but in a different way than tuesday.

please keep us in your thoughts this evening, i'll still be around so i can roooooot for all the osteo houndies!

Karen.

Karen I am so sorry. You are in our thoughts and prayers. :grouphug

Guest ChasesMum

thank you everyone. She went peacefully, nestled against my legs and my hands caressing her velvety soft ears and my voice whispering to her. :weep: I will miss her so much. she was so wonderful. She was my 'baby' when we thought we would never be able to conceive. When our babies did come, she loved each one of them more than we thought any dog could. She protected them, kissed them, played tug and keep-away with them, and was always always soooo patient and gentle when they snuggled too hard against her, or hugged her too hard. She never ever snarked at them, or ANY person, and she gave she sweetest gentlest kisses. She was my heartdog, that is for sure. i don't know that I even want to try to love another dog like I did her. i know that isnt really what she would want but that's where I am now. My plan (such as it is) is to wait a few years until I have 2 in school full time and one in playschool part time, but we'll see.

This day sucks.

and my DH is now at the football game (though he was there crying with me over Chase), but luckily my twin sis and my vex hard lemonade are keeping me and the kids company.

Edited by ChasesMum

I'm so sorry she had to leave you, Karen.

I am so very sorry Karen that Chase had to leave. She fought bravely.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

thank you everyone. She went peacefully, nestled against my legs and my hands caressing her velvety soft ears and my voice whispering to her. :weep: I will miss her so much. she was so wonderful. She was my 'baby' when we thought we would never be able to conceive. When our babies did come, she loved each one of them more than we thought any dog could. She protected them, kissed them, played tug and keep-away with them, and was always always soooo patient and gentle when they snuggled too hard against her, or hugged her too hard. She never ever snarked at them, or ANY person, and she gave she sweetest gentlest kisses. She was my heartdog, that is for sure. i don't know that I even want to try to love another dog like I did her. i know that isnt really what she would want but that's where I am now. My plan (such as it is) is to wait a few years until I have 2 in school full time and one in playschool part time, but we'll see.

This day sucks.

and my DH is now at the football game (though he was there crying with me over Chase), but luckily my twin sis and my vex hard lemonade are keeping me and the kids company.

karen - no words can express -- just know you are in our thoughts and prayers - wish i was there to give you a big hug -- and share a glass of that hard lemonade with you.

Karen, I'm so sorry. :grouphug I'll lift a glass in Chase's honor tonight for sure. She sounds like a wonderful dog.

Guest ChasesMum

:lol: no hangover we are doing alright. my 5.5yo dd is off and on having a hard time grasping that she died. since she wasnt there, she sometimes thinks chase is still on earth somewhere. not sure how to deal with that other than keep explaining the censored version...

i'd also like to glimpse into the non-existant parallel universe where she was still alive and see how she does over the weekend. not sure if thats healthy.... :blush

and it feels like someone is missing.

It may feel like someone is missing for a long time. It takes our human brains awhile to understand that they are still here, safe in our hearts. Hugs to you and your family this morning.