Osteo Diagnosis

Guest azlorenz

I'm not in this current club (for which I am of course grateful) but I am in one of the older clubs and do understand what you are all currently going through.

Sending good wishes and happy times for everyone :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

karen - i am so sorry chase is not doing well....remember we are here for you and we understand. NEVER appologize to us for being a downer - i think we are all entitled to feel that way -- just know you have "downer" friends here. hugs and prayers coming your way - teri

Edited by teri_d

This has been a terrible day for osteo. 2 new diagnoses and Dana's John is gone, from a complication from his amp surgery. Some days I just can't stomach this disease and the havoc it wreaks. :headwall :headwall :headwall

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

This has been a terrible day for osteo. 2 new diagnoses and Dana's John is gone, from a complication from his amp surgery. Some days I just can't stomach this disease and the havoc it wreaks. :headwall :headwall :headwall

I agree 100%. It's a hideous disease. There is no other way to describe it.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

[/quote

it has been a hideous MONTH!!! my heart breaks for all of us - specially dana this evening -- hugs to you dana & run free john.

Guest azlorenz

I've never been sadder to join a group before, but my big goofy boy Puck just got the diagnosis. I'm still in shock and can't stop crying yet.

I am so sorry.

Ditto. Still in shock over John's passing. How unfair.

This is the third time I've come back to this. I am having a really hard time over Dana's John's passing. My heart breaks for her. I hate this disease with all my heart.

Edited by azlorenz

Guest ChasesMum

oh I know what you mean! I think I feel worse for Dana than I do for myself right now. That is just so shocking and I really hope she comes back at some point. what a crummy situation.

chase had a rough night. she had 2 tramadol yesterday instead of 1, and she was still up at night panting and whimpering. I don't know if she is in pain, having trouble breathing, having heart palpitations, or if she is just hot and thirsty and not wanting to get up. She slept in our room last night which she hasnt done in the last couple weeks (ALWAYS did up until a couple weeeks ago) but she needs to be more spread out. so i heard every little sniff and sigh and a couple times I wondered if she had stopped breathing. I spent an hour on the floor beside her at 2am (no one understands THAT like you guys! my friends think I am nuts) whispering to her and petting her. she definitley wanted some snuggle time, and she did calm down after I got her a drink and sat with here. uugh poor thing. i feel so torn!! I don't want to lose her so soon (I still havent even gotten the path report on the fluid!), but do I want to ask her to hang on for another few days or a week just for me/? :weep she has times when she is ajitated but a lot of the time she is ok laying on her side and sleeping. she eats fairly well, though i had to soften her food or she barfs it up...

Edited by ChasesMum

oh I know what you mean! I think I feel worse for Dana than I do for myself right now. That is just so shocking and I really hope she comes back at some point. what a crummy situation.

chase had a rough night. she had 2 tramadol yesterday instead of 1, and she was still up at night panting and whimpering. I don't know if she is in pain, having trouble breathing, having heart palpitations, or if she is just hot and thirsty and not wanting to get up. She slept in our room last night which she hasnt done in the last couple weeks (ALWAYS did up until a couple weeeks ago) but she needs to be more spread out. so i heard every little sniff and sigh and a couple times I wondered if she had stopped breathing. I spent an hour on the floor beside her at 2am (no one understands THAT like you guys! my friends think I am nuts) whispering to her and petting her. she definitley wanted some snuggle time, and she did calm down after I got her a drink and sat with here. uugh poor thing. i feel so torn!! I don't want to lose her so soon (I still havent even gotten the path report on the fluid!), but do I want to ask her to hang on for another few days or a week just for me/? :weep she has times when she is ajitated but a lot of the time she is ok laying on her side and sleeping. she eats fairly well, though i had to soften her food or she barfs it up...

I know what you mean by laying on the floor in the middle of the night and loving on them. I realize Chase's diagnosis is very different from Charlie but I have noticed that Tramadol makes him pant like crazy. It's like clockwork for us, we give him 100mg at 7pm, he'll be panting between 8-9pm and we cover his amp area with a towel and frozen cloth on top and we place a frozen cloth (a small towel) on his chest and then lay with him. It works very well for us to get him past that point but I am sure it's the drugs and not pain or anxiety as like I say it's clockwork for us.

You know Chase the best. It sounds like she is uncomfortable but that can be her condition, the drugs or a combination of. If she is still eating, showing interest in going out, etc. then her quality of life is still there. I would want to know more about the fluid ASAP just so you know all what you are dealing with. Does your vet have any other suggestions in making her more comfortable?

I hope you and Chase have many, many more days together.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Yes, was going to say that Tramadol causes panting in a LOT of dogs. Sorry you had such a rough night Karen. :(

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest ChasesMum

I know what you mean by laying on the floor in the middle of the night and loving on them. I realize Chase's diagnosis is very different from Charlie but I have noticed that Tramadol makes him pant like crazy. It's like clockwork for us, we give him 100mg at 7pm, he'll be panting between 8-9pm and we cover his amp area with a towel and frozen cloth on top and we place a frozen cloth (a small towel) on his chest and then lay with him. It works very well for us to get him past that point but I am sure it's the drugs and not pain or anxiety as like I say it's clockwork for us.

You know Chase the best. It sounds like she is uncomfortable but that can be her condition, the drugs or a combination of. If she is still eating, showing interest in going out, etc. then her quality of life is still there. I would want to know more about the fluid ASAP just so you know all what you are dealing with. Does your vet have any other suggestions in making her more comfortable?

thanks kyle. We lost our other grey to osteo so i have been there too, on the floor with an icepack. :) i think it was more pain than anything, she got her pain meds at 7 or 8pm and this was 2am or so. and once I got her to eat - I posted before I fed her - today took a little convincing, she didnt want to eat standing and so she had breakfast in bed :( but she seems more comfy now. at least she isnt panting at the moment.

i am waiting to hear from the cardio, but other than my thought of lasix just to help remove some fluid, I don't think there is anything the vets can do. every day she is more and more decrepit and honestly she looks like she is dying. she went out of the dog run into the bog yard (a treat for her) and laid down in the grass, but she was actually weak in the rear end today, and I think she had to rest as much as anything before trekking back in. *** ok definitley weak, she is really having a hard time walking. she is trying to limp with both left side legs being favored. uugh. if this continues, today might be the day. :weep

I just don't know, and I know no one can make that decision for me. but I really do think that if we haul her into the vet for anything, she wont be coming back home with us. so I want to be sure when I take her in, ya know? I don't want to wish something other than what I choose. either way...

my twin sis is coming over this aft to say her goodbye's and then other than my inlaws (who will stay with my 3 kidlets) everyone has petted her one more time. but looking at her now, snoozing seemingly comfortable I can't imagine it, but 5 minutes ago when she was up panting and looking awful... uugh. good thing I am not going anywhere this week.

eta; my typing blows because I sliced my finger and the dressing makes it really hard to type! oh man if I think I type every word twice. I should not fix the typos and let you all have a giggle..

Edited by ChasesMum

thanks kyle. We lost our other grey to osteo so i have been there too, on the floor with an icepack. :) i think it was more pain than anything, she got her pain meds at 7 or 8pm and this was 2am or so. and once I got her to eat - I posted before I fed her - today took a little convincing, she didnt want to eat standing and so she had breakfast in bed :( but she seems more comfy now. at least she isnt panting at the moment.

i am waiting to hear from the cardio, but other than my thought of lasix just to help remove some fluid, I don't think there is anything the vets can do. every day she is more and more decrepit and honestly she looks like she is dying. she went out of the dog run into the bog yard (a treat for her) and laid down in the grass, but she was actually weak in the rear end today, and I think she had to rest as much as anything before trekking back in. *** ok definitley weak, she is really having a hard time walking. she is trying to limp with both left side legs being favored. uugh. if this continues, today might be the day. :weep

I just don't know, and I know no one can make that decision for me. but I really do think that if we haul her into the vet for anything, she wont be coming back home with us. so I want to be sure when I take her in, ya know? I don't want to wish something other than what I choose. either way...

my twin sis is coming over this aft to say her goodbye's and then other than my inlaws (who will stay with my 3 kidlets) everyone has petted her one more time. but looking at her now, snoozing seemingly comfortable I can't imagine it, but 5 minutes ago when she was up panting and looking awful... uugh. good thing I am not going anywhere this week.

eta; my typing blows because I sliced my finger and the dressing makes it really hard to type! oh man if I think I type every word twice. I should not fix the typos and let you all have a giggle..

all i can say is that our prayers are with you - we send tons of hugs your way.

It sounds to me that you arrived at a decision and know that you are doing what is best for Chase. Please give Chase a very special hug from me.

Kyle

:grouphug

Sirocco is still hanging in there, mooching my strawberries, meeting us at the door for luvins. He has episodes where he pants quite a bit, but these will stop after a Tramadol and a little lie-down. The vet said the cancer was probably in his lungs already so I am not sure if the panting is related to that or the tramadol. It doesn't matter though, I am going to give it as long as the tramadol keeps the pain at a functional level.

My brother and nephew stayed with us this weekend and Sirocco still wanted to be where the people are. I am at the point where I consider each additional day with him a true blessing. Although, sometimes I wonder if the angels at the bridge are keeping him here longer because they are afraid of the food-filching havoc he will create with my bridge brittany, Polly.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

hmm here's a cancer guy who does ribs!! in ontario.

animal cancer surgeon

Dr. Liptak was one of the surgeons we dealt with for Charlie post amp. Nice guy and definitely knows his stuff.

thanks, guys for all the updates - it is good to keep in touch!! i wish we could go to toronto - but that is not an option -- we have a great vet surgeon in okc we saw-- just not an option. glad sirocco is hanging in there - we treasure each day!! never know what tomorrow will bring...

Guest azlorenz

That stinks. Tramadol makes Flash pant as well. His limit is 1/2 tab 2 X day I am beginning to believe. I totally understand about sleeping on the floor with them. I've been sleeping on the floor since Flash first injured his leg the end of June. In the beginning to keep him from trying to jump into bed and then to try and comfort him and keep an eye on him. :grouphug

Edited by azlorenz

Guest ChasesMum

I've decided today isnt the day, i am going to spoil the heck out of her tonight and see what tomorrow brings.

I just talked to the cardiologist and the fluid was only 'highly suspicious but not diagnostic of neoplastic process' but she saw nodules on the heart muscle itself on the echo.

and aargh, I sent my sis home with the homemade chicken stew for her dog, thinking I wouldnt be needing it anymore. ah well, we have lots of Chase to be spoiled with. though the entire liverwurst sausage she ate today may come back to haunt us in the middle of the night. :unsure :oops:

I've decided today isnt the day, i am going to spoil the heck out of her tonight and see what tomorrow brings.

I just talked to the cardiologist and the fluid was only 'highly suspicious but not diagnostic of neoplastic process' but she saw nodules on the heart muscle itself on the echo.

and aargh, I sent my sis home with the homemade chicken stew for her dog, thinking I wouldnt be needing it anymore. ah well, we have lots of Chase to be spoiled with. though the entire liverwurst sausage she ate today may come back to haunt us in the middle of the night. :unsure :oops:

Spoil chase rotten and give her lots and lots of hugs from all here on GT.

Kyle

Although, sometimes I wonder if the angels at the bridge are keeping him here longer because they are afraid of the food-filching havoc he will create with my bridge brittany, Polly.

made me laugh - i needed that this morning...i am worried about anubis - i pm'ed and no response and they haven't checked in - anybody know? thanks for the 1/2 tramadol idea - rivie is doing well the last few days and i'm going to try this idea out - thanks! i'll try to make you laugh again -- i was awakened last night to "very loud whiney breathing" sounds -- of course i panic and jump out of bed to check on rivie who is all spread out on her bed sleeping like a log -- it's win having a bad dream :) just gotta love em! thoughts and prayers with all of you today - specially joe, pack, chase, anubis, johns mom -- well, the list goes on - my prayers are with all of us! thank you my friends -- i know we're all understanding & in this together no matter the path we take --

Edited by teri_d

Guest greyt_learner

This whole thing with Puck has really pulled the rug out from under me :weep I;m having a really hard time trying to come to terms with it - I know you'll all understand. I know I need to stay up-beat for him, and for our other gorgeous girl, Ariel, but I'm having such a hard time. I want to be happy with every moment I have left with him, but can't seem to get past thinking about how, too soon, I won't be greeted by him wiping his face all over me every morning, and his full body wag when we come home, or he sees the kids at the bus stops in the mornings on our walk. I feel guilty about every time I was frustrated with him or didn't let him have his way. I'm terrified that something will happen to him while we're at work - thankfully I work past time so they only have a couple of days alone.

It's only been 2 days since I found out, so I know it'll get better, I just needed to get this out with people who'll understand. Hope I've not been too much of a downer for everyone.

Guest ChasesMum

This whole thing with Puck has really pulled the rug out from under me :weep I;m having a really hard time trying to come to terms with it - I know you'll all understand. I know I need to stay up-beat for him, and for our other gorgeous girl, Ariel, but I'm having such a hard time. I want to be happy with every moment I have left with him, but can't seem to get past thinking about how, too soon, I won't be greeted by him wiping his face all over me every morning, and his full body wag when we come home, or he sees the kids at the bus stops in the mornings on our walk. I feel guilty about every time I was frustrated with him or didn't let him have his way. I'm terrified that something will happen to him while we're at work - thankfully I work past time so they only have a couple of days alone.

It's only been 2 days since I found out, so I know it'll get better, I just needed to get this out with people who'll understand. Hope I've not been too much of a downer for everyone.

*hugs* I definitley know how THAT feels! recently we have broken all our own rules. begging at the table? sure why not. and here's a treat for your effort! you want to pee in the big yard instead of the dog run? go ahead Chase! enjoy it! :rolleyes: but how can you not? Have you guys decided how to treat? maybe that will give you some assistance in coming to terms with it? know we are here for you!

New on our front: I am glad we had another evening with Chase! I got some great pics of her and our daughters (5.5 and 2.75 yrs). I don't know how to post them on here, I might need to use facebook?

AND... how many pills can YOUR pill pocket hold? Mine holds 8 :lol

Edited by ChasesMum