Osteo Diagnosis

Guest azlorenz

Guest ChasesMum

thanks batmom! funny, my 5yo was saying that this morning - that we will keep Chase in our hearts. :wub

so... anyone need any pepcid? I have a whole big box...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest azlorenz

How is everyone doing this morning?

Here is my Flash update. He walked around up the block and back yesterday am and pm, then today walked around the little block + this morning. We are enjoying cooler weather than usual. Below 100 degrees yesterday and today so we can enjoy 2 walks per day. He is zonked out now of course. Last night he got to enjoy a raw marrow bone which of course gave him some softies this am. Hopefully it was just too rich for him. He loved it though. We go Friday for his post chemo blood work. Hopefully all will be good and he can have his next treatment on 8/17.

gallery_2056_3161_9317.jpg

Flash is looking good! We are scheduled for our first round of Chemo this Wednesday so hopefully everything goes well. We are also still waiting on the biopsy report which should come in this week.

I hope everyone's pups are doing well.

For Subway and his Mom :candle. Another pup gone far too soon from this disease. I will remember to look up at the sky tonight as I am sure the stars will be brighter.

Kyle

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

it's good to read all the updates - rivie is having a good weekend - a zoomie around the back yard and threw off her collar so she was naked this morning even -- a favorite thing she used to love to do!! the tumor still looks about tennis ball sized - no "major" growth (in naked eye apperance anyway - for those of you who don't know rivie's is on her ribcage). she is still eating well (LOVES her chicken breasts and snacks). i know there is a brick wall coming up around the bend, but for now we are upbeat and enjoying every minute.

thoughts and prayers with subway & his people - we are so sorry.....

Edited by teri_d

it's good to read all the updates - rivie is having a good weekend - a zoomie around the back yard and threw off her collar so she was naked this morning even -- a favorite thing she used to love to do!! the tumor still looks about tennis ball sized - no "major" growth (in naked eye apperance anyway - for those of you who don't know rivie's is on her ribcage). she is still eating well (LOVES her chicken breasts and snacks). i know there is a brick wall coming up around the bend, but for now we are upbeat and enjoying every minute.

thoughts and prayers with subway & his people - we are so sorry.....

Teri,

That is great that Rivie is doing well and acting like herself. Don't think of the future, just keep trying to think of here and now - tomorrow doesn't matter, enjoy today.

Kyle

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Guest azlorenz

For Subway and his family. :candle

It is good to hear that Rivie is feeling good and living for today. :bighug

Well, here is this afternoon's position. It certainly doesn't rival Charlie's roach but it's the best we've seen so far here.

gallery_2056_3161_7099.jpg

Doesn't look comfortable to me but Flash sure seems to think it is.

Edited by azlorenz

Guest ChasesMum

lots of luv to Subway's peoples... :cry1

Good to hear Rivie is doing well, like Kyle said, enjoy every day as they come and try not to worry about tomorrow! *hugs* teri!

and aawww Flash-man! sweet roach :colgate he looks great!

Glad to hear all the positive (or atleast not negative) updates. Sirocco's tumor is still growing on his right shoulder. He will have problems moving for 1 day, learn to compensate by the next day, remain stable for a few days, and the cycle starts again. But, as long as he is happy, I am happy. Tramadol 6 x day with Rimadyl 2 x day is keeping him fairly comfortable without zonking him out for now. I know that is way outside of the normal doseage, but the pros far outweigh the cons. With the cooler temps the past day, he has actually tried to do a few zoomie steps outside. :eek

I am just so blessed to have had him in my life that I am trying to focus on the positive and be grateful for whatever time we have. Said it before and here it is again, he's rotten but he's mine.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

Glad to hear all the positive (or atleast not negative) updates. Sirocco's tumor is still growing on his right shoulder. He will have problems moving for 1 day, learn to compensate by the next day, remain stable for a few days, and the cycle starts again. But, as long as he is happy, I am happy. Tramadol 6 x day with Rimadyl 2 x day is keeping him fairly comfortable without zonking him out for now. I know that is way outside of the normal doseage, but the pros far outweigh the cons. With the cooler temps the past day, he has actually tried to do a few zoomie steps outside. :eek

I am just so blessed to have had him in my life that I am trying to focus on the positive and be grateful for whatever time we have. Said it before and here it is again, he's rotten but he's mine.

Thinking about you and Sirocco. I am sorry he is having problems getting about sometimes. I understand your feelings and will keep both of you in my thoughts. Hoping Sirocco's good days continue to outnumber the bad. And zoomies??? Wow!

Teri and Sirocco's mom (mom I hope :blush), are either of you using artemisinin already?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Teri and Sirocco's mom (mom I hope :blush), are either of you using artemisinin already?

yes, rivie is getting her artemisinin -- we started it as soon as the order came - i think she has taken it for 9 days now - thanks. how is neyla doing?

yes, rivie is getting her artemisinin -- we started it as soon as the order came - i think she has taken it for 9 days now - thanks. how is neyla doing?

Are you guys doing the cycling protocol (w/ or w/o curcumin) from the yahoo group? I can't remember - I think I saw you joined that group - but there are so many msgs. I keep thinking I've made a decision to switch and then I change my mind. :rolleyes:

Neyla is doing really well, thanks for asking. We just got back from a really good walk, our "around the lake" walk. It's the walk we took that started her initial limp - we've taken it a couple of times since, but mostly we've had to do shorter walks or when we did, it was SLOW going. Today we actually had something of a pace at times and she wasn't dragging at the end! This morning's walk was 1.2 miles, and this is after a 1.8 mile hike on Saturday. I think she's finally getting her muscle strength back in her back leg (where she has the toe problem). :yay

Great to hear that Rivie was doing zoomies this wkd! I'm curious to see what happens for you with the artemisinin as you will actually be able to guage progress by seeing her tumor shrink. :hope

Edited by NeylasMom

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest carolxi

I'm another one who won't be on for a while. I've decided to send Anubis to the bridge this week. I'm not sure what day, Wed. night or Thursday daytime. I have been trying to guess at his quality of life ever since this horrible thing happened. Just before we knew, he had started spending time in the basement which he never did before unless I was down there. At first he slept on the couch and then on the bed (I have an empty apartment down there). When he was in pain he started spending time on the floor in the dark and it killed me to leave for work every day and think of him in that dark basement. The light was on at the stairs and at the entrance door, but I just felt he wanted it to be cave or den-like so I didn't put any more lights than that on. The vet said that was Anubis's place he had picked to go to when he was in pain. Anyway back to quality of life. Anubis never walked, he pranced and he always had a lot of off leash time and he would try to run to every tree in the park to pee on, the big silly. Now he just walks :( For me because I know my dog, I'm choosing to let him go before he gets too bad or any worse. The vet told me on Saturday that pit bulls and greys will not show their severe pain. I don't want to guess anymore, the fact that he is panting and walking and making many frequent stops on our short walks because it hurts is enough info for me. When I'm feeling bad I will try to come back to this post and remember why I made this choice. This morning I got crazy. I thought - what if they're wrong? what if he only has some silly thing that if we knew we could fix? My brain and my heart are grabbing at straws. Keep sane I try to tell myself - let him go now when the suffering is not too severe. Every time he limps its like a knife in my gut knowing that they hurt so much more than they show us. A neighbour said a wonderful thing to me the other day - she said "I hope God grants you the wisdom to know when the time is right to make the decision". Another said "you're between a rock and a hard place - if you do it now you'll feel bad and if you do it later you'll feel bad". So people, please pray for me and Anubis. He will soon be playing with those that have gone before and waiting for those that are about to cross over. For me, Anubis was with me for a purpose. He taught me about the love and life of fur creatures, it opened a new world for me and my heart has been changed for ever because of him.

I'm so sorry you're having to make this decision. :( I honestly really hope that when teh time comes, I can be as brave as you. I think (when I think about it rationally) that it's SO much better to let them go a little too soon than a little too late - they of course don't know the difference - but when it comes to it, it's not so simple because we want every happy moment we can have with them. Obviously only you know when teh time is right for Anubis - try not to be too hard on yourself and trust that you are know the right thing to do. Come back on when you can, we're here to support you. In the meantime, I will be thinking of you and Anubis. :grouphug

I'm another one who won't be on for a while. I've decided to send Anubis to the bridge this week. I'm not sure what day, Wed. night or Thursday daytime. I have been trying to guess at his quality of life ever since this horrible thing happened. Just before we knew, he had started spending time in the basement which he never did before unless I was down there. At first he slept on the couch and then on the bed (I have an empty apartment down there). When he was in pain he started spending time on the floor in the dark and it killed me to leave for work every day and think of him in that dark basement. The light was on at the stairs and at the entrance door, but I just felt he wanted it to be cave or den-like so I didn't put any more lights than that on. The vet said that was Anubis's place he had picked to go to when he was in pain. Anyway back to quality of life. Anubis never walked, he pranced and he always had a lot of off leash time and he would try to run to every tree in the park to pee on, the big silly. Now he just walks :( For me because I know my dog, I'm choosing to let him go before he gets too bad or any worse. The vet told me on Saturday that pit bulls and greys will not show their severe pain. I don't want to guess anymore, the fact that he is panting and walking and making many frequent stops on our short walks because it hurts is enough info for me. When I'm feeling bad I will try to come back to this post and remember why I made this choice. This morning I got crazy. I thought - what if they're wrong? what if he only has some silly thing that if we knew we could fix? My brain and my heart are grabbing at straws. Keep sane I try to tell myself - let him go now when the suffering is not too severe. Every time he limps its like a knife in my gut knowing that they hurt so much more than they show us. A neighbour said a wonderful thing to me the other day - she said "I hope God grants you the wisdom to know when the time is right to make the decision". Another said "you're between a rock and a hard place - if you do it now you'll feel bad and if you do it later you'll feel bad". So people, please pray for me and Anubis. He will soon be playing with those that have gone before and waiting for those that are about to cross over. For me, Anubis was with me for a purpose. He taught me about the love and life of fur creatures, it opened a new world for me and my heart has been changed for ever because of him.

it is true - this will never be easy no matter whether it's today or tomorrow - you are doing this FOR anubis -- the selfish thing to do is to want them there for you even if you think they are in pain. i know the denial feelings -- i keep thinking "the lab was wrong/mixed up/admin confusion" and the biopsy is for some other doggie - not my rivie! our hearts and prayers are with you -- please don't stay away for long - we are here for you and understand all too well -- please feel our hugs and prayers - for they are with you.

Guest ChasesMum

This morning I got crazy. I thought - what if they're wrong? what if he only has some silly thing that if we knew we could fix? My brain and my heart are grabbing at straws.

*biggest hugs!!*

i feel the same way. like maybe if we could have gotten to the root of the swelling, and gotten rid of that we would be able to give her months more. it feels like we missed a piece of the puzzle somewhere, and that really bothers me. i wonder 'what if it WAS just ehrlichia and we missed something'. And remembering what I was like on Tuesday last week, when I had Chase booked in, it would have been too soon to lose her. I was not in the right place to say "its better for her" becasue I was still in "its not fair to me". By Friday I was able to be in that other place. so if you get to weds or thursday and you don't want to, its ok!

our vet says that every dog has 3 things that make them estatically happy. losing 1 is not so bad. losing 2 is hard, when they start losing the third and final thing that makes them happy and makes them who they are, then its time. i had trouble identifying 3 separate things, but if I grouped all the things together into "doing stuff" and "being on stuff", those were gone and all that was left was food. That's why Friday when she was having trouble swallowing and was so swollen in her face and throat... it was time.

:weep1: know I am crying with you! Chase will be there to greet Anubis...

I am so very sorry you have to make this decision for Anubis so soon. I was hoping you had more time with him like we all do. Your decision will be right one no matter what you decide and yes it will hurt, there's no easy way around it. I agree that having a pup in pain is one of the hardest things to bear. I wish you as much good quality time with Anubis this week as possible and love him silly.

Please give him a long hug from me.

Kyle

Teri,

It's not easy. I know how you feel as Lynn (DW) feels the same way however she really hasn't reached out to anyone as they have disappointed her in the past. Instead we are leaning on each other as we know we can rely on each other no matter what comes. We also had a deep discussion on staying positive, staying strong and doing everything we can to make Charlie happy, healthy and enjoying life for a long time to come.

I am 'back at work' phyically (was working from home the last two weeks) and the only person who has asked me anything is a 'dog person' that has 4 huskies. She also had a Golden Retriever who passed away because of Osteo. She knows all too well the disease and the pain of losing a furry friend. Saying that however I really don't need or want people to ask or offer their understanding, I guess that is just the way I am. I internalize and don't like to share my problems with others. My biggest dilemma is I am away from home this week and then again next week which is what is tearing at me as there is nothing I would like better than to be at home.

How am I coping? To be honest, the last two weeks have been good because I have focused on the here and now for the first time in probably 20 years. I'm always thinking and worried about the future, this has caused me to change that for now at least and enjoy what is now, what is tomorrow has yet to come. I know that someday I will say goodbye to my friend but that day is a long ways off and everything I can do to keep Charlie healthy and happy, I will do, no matter the cost, no matter the time. My fur kids are my kids, I have no others and I know they are here for a short time but then again, I may be as well. Nobody knows what the future hold, nobody knows for certain what path life will lead you down. I do wish they stayed with us for so much longer, healthy and happy by our sides...

Hang in there. We are always here and know how you feel. You have every right to rant, scream and shout.

Kyle

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Guest ChasesMum

Teri,

It's not easy. I know how you feel as Lynn (DW) feels the same way however she really hasn't reached out to anyone as they have disappointed her in the past.

have you suggested DW join GT? Maybe she would feel more support?

... Saying that however I really don't need or want people to ask or offer their understanding, I guess that is just the way I am. I internalize and don't like to share my problems with others.
tee hee spoken like a true man! ;) My DH feels/felt the same way. only a few select dog people even asked him about Chase and he only told certain people that would impact on our kids. Like his longtime best friend who was coming over for supper last night (after not having been over in months). he told him by email so that jeff didnt walk in and say 'hey where's chase?" to the kids. His other closest bud just had a tumor removed from his own dog so I think that is the only person he confided in. so I think its awesome Kyle that you are on here chattin with us women and being so heartfelt in your replies. i know i really appreciated the msg on Friday.

Teri, I missed your post (aargh! :lol ) but don't you ever apologize for whining! you all let me whimper and whine my way through last week, and told me not to feel bad about it! So please, don't feel bad at all if you have a down day and need to get it out. i don't know how many times I nearly said "I am glad I can lay this all out here so my IRL friends don't get sick of me talkin about it" but rewrote that part of nearly every post.. :blush but ya know, I really al glad that you guys were all here to talk to becaseu even though you didnt KNOW Chase, you knew close enough what it was like for me and I so so so appreciate that.

:grouphug

{{{{{{{{{{Carolxi}}}}}}}}}} Give him a kiss for me and tell him how handsome he is, will you? He knows that you love him, and he trusts you to do what is best for him, and you will.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest azlorenz

i am so sorry to hear about Anubis. It just stinks. I'd like to something else but stinks will just have to do. We're all bonded together by this awful thing. We'll all be there for the other as each one of has to deal with this down the road, some sooner than others. But we all feel each others pain because hits us close to home. And it stinks. :weep

"I am glad I can lay this all out here so my IRL friends don't get sick of me talkin about it" but rewrote that part of nearly every post.. :blush but ya know, I really al glad that you guys were all here to talk to becaseu even though you didnt KNOW Chase, you knew close enough what it was like for me and I so so so appreciate that."

Ain't that the truth. I am really fortunate. I've had so many people at the office ask how Flash is doing. But honestly they are asking out of courtesy. They have no idea what it is like. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate each time one of them asks. But they have no idea how it rips your heart out to think of the future and know that you need to think for the moment.

:grouphug to all of you my friends.

Guest greyt_learner

As if Puck didn't have enough to deal with, I have him on antibiotics as I thought he had an infection in his penis - it was red and a little swollen with a little discharge, and he was licking a lot more than normal. Well, this afternoon, I noticed a spot of blood on there, and he's been a little "off" today. I'm trying to avoid going to the vet too much as I don't want him jumping in and out of the car - I just got a ramp but haven't trained him on it yet - he's not good with things like that:( Anyway, I wandered if this was likely to be related to the cancer or not. I'll be calling my vet tomorrow anyway.

As if Puck didn't have enough to deal with, I have him on antibiotics as I thought he had an infection in his penis - it was red and a little swollen with a little discharge, and he was licking a lot more than normal. Well, this afternoon, I noticed a spot of blood on there, and he's been a little "off" today. I'm trying to avoid going to the vet too much as I don't want him jumping in and out of the car - I just got a ramp but haven't trained him on it yet - he's not good with things like that:( Anyway, I wandered if this was likely to be related to the cancer or not. I'll be calling my vet tomorrow anyway.

It is possible it could be from the amp. Has he been very active? I know that it's possible there could be internal bleeding so I would contact your vet. Our Charlie is not a fan of the new ramp into the truck and that is why we use a harness for him to get into and out of the truck as I can guide him up and down the ramp easier.

I hope it's nothing serious. We'll be thinking of you and Puck.

Kyle

Sirocco is doing much worse today. The tumor is huge. His right leg is very swollen and he is needing pain medicine about every 4 hours. DH is off this week to give it to him but everyone is back to work and school on Monday. He still enjoys eating and pettins but moving is a lot harder. We are probably going to send him off to be with Polly and Chester at the bridge on Thursday morning.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon