Osteo Diagnosis

Guest azlorenz

Guest carolxi

Sirocco seems fairly stable right now. The tumor is huge and he limps a lot but he still enjoys eating and he can move himself to where he wants to be. We are giving him Tramadol 4 x day plus Rimadyl 2 x day. He was hurting quite a bit yesterday after he chased the squirrel that ran across the yard so he got an extra Tramadol. Dr Sheff said to give it whenever he needed it. We talked about stronger pain meds like morphine, but they would probably make him so dopey that he could not move safely.

Our only concern is quality of life. When he can no longer move, eat, or enjoy life, it will be time to let him go. Realistically, I think his life expectancy can be measured in days or weeks instead of months.

Whenever I find myself hurting because of the inevitable, I just ask myself if I would do it all over again, even if I knew then what I know now. The answer is always a resounding 'YES!!!'.

Where is the tumor? Anubis has cancer in his tibia, at the proximal end (top), near his knee. The vet said it is in the early stages and currently he is on Gabapentin (2 in the morning) and tramadol twice a day. This is a horrible question, but how fast does osteo progress?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Joe was posted as a possible Osteo (there is a thread there now). Also, was John Curley osteo? So many babies....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

This whole thing with Puck has really pulled the rug out from under me :weep I;m having a really hard time trying to come to terms with it - I know you'll all understand. I know I need to stay up-beat for him, and for our other gorgeous girl, Ariel, but I'm having such a hard time. I want to be happy with every moment I have left with him, but can't seem to get past thinking about how, too soon, I won't be greeted by him wiping his face all over me every morning, and his full body wag when we come home, or he sees the kids at the bus stops in the mornings on our walk. I feel guilty about every time I was frustrated with him or didn't let him have his way. I'm terrified that something will happen to him while we're at work - thankfully I work past time so they only have a couple of days alone.

It's only been 2 days since I found out, so I know it'll get better, I just needed to get this out with people who'll understand. Hope I've not been too much of a downer for everyone.

We do understand. Everything you are feeling is totally normal. I went through a few days of total depression, wracking sobs whenever I talked about what was happening or thought about it. I moved through life in a daze, just barely functioning. Then I started to feel guilty. The past couple of years when I started fostering again after having added Zuri to the family, and boarding dogs, sometimes having 4 greys in my house at a time and as a result, not giving my own dogs that attention and play that they needed. At the same time, I went into a state of crazed obsession researching any and every possible treatment for cancer, as well as any supplement that could potentially boost her immune system or slow the progression. Eventually, came acceptance. I think the best you can do is determine your course of action, accept the situation and decide having done that, to focus your energy on spoiling Puck silly and enjoying every single moment you have. I know it's easier said than done, but I did find that with the acceptance I was able to stop crying constantly and at least reserve that for when I was alone so my dogs woulnd't pick up on my sadness as much. Now I just have to battle my incessant worry - is her gait off a tiny bit today, am I doing the right thing giving these supplements even though her stomach's a bit off, etc. etc. but at least I can keep that in my head. :) Anwyay, that's just me, I know everyone is different, but I can tell you that when I joined Circle of Grey (you might want to consider it if you haven't already joined), overwhelming sadness and guilt were both things many people had experienced. Hugs to you, I hope you'll continue to come here for support. :grouphug

Karen, everything you said is so true. :lol You should see Neyla's eyes bugging out of her head when I let her lick my ice cream bowl, which I would never do before (and why the heck not, while we're discussing it?!!!). I think I am eating more ice cream these days just so I can let her lick the bowl. :P

Carolxi, osteo is typically very aggressive, more so in younger dogs. I have heard varying stats on survival times with only palliative care, from 2 to 5 months, but from my experience on this board, it seems there are very few who get more than 3 months from the time of diagnosis. Using things like palliative radiation and IV pamidronate can get you more time, my oncologist said up to 2 months from each, and then of course amputation and chemo has longer mean survival times. I do think there are some new options for managing pain and some better understanding of how to treat aggressively, as well as a lot of promise with artemisinin protocols so hopefully we will see these numbers grow dramatically in the near future. :hope

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

This whole thing with Puck has really pulled the rug out from under me :weep I;m having a really hard time trying to come to terms with it - I know you'll all understand. I know I need to stay up-beat for him, and for our other gorgeous girl, Ariel, but I'm having such a hard time. I want to be happy with every moment I have left with him, but can't seem to get past thinking about how, too soon, I won't be greeted by him wiping his face all over me every morning, and his full body wag when we come home, or he sees the kids at the bus stops in the mornings on our walk. I feel guilty about every time I was frustrated with him or didn't let him have his way. I'm terrified that something will happen to him while we're at work - thankfully I work past time so they only have a couple of days alone.

It's only been 2 days since I found out, so I know it'll get better, I just needed to get this out with people who'll understand. Hope I've not been too much of a downer for everyone.

Too many know exactly how you feel. I agree with Jen that once you have decided on what treatment you will do for Puck, that allows you to concentrate on taking care of him. I knew right away which was best for Charlie and that is my focus, not much else. It helps me to focus and not think of what may happen and if I ever stray, I pull myself back.

We are all here to hear you out no matter what your decision is so please keep us up to date and if we can help in ANY way let us know. You can always e-mail me offline if you prefer: kyle241_2000@yahoo.com.

Joe was posted as a possible Osteo (there is a thread there now). Also, was John Curley osteo? So many babies....

Unfortunately yes. John was another Osteo and very tragic.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

The one thing to remember is that NONE OF US CAUSED THE &%$!@ CANCER. We couldn't have prevented it. Maybe we could have caught it earlier, but maybe it couldn't. If we had caught it earlier, it might have made a difference or it might not. Also, even though each us us is following different treatment plans, EACH OF US IS DOING THE BEST WE CAN.

Now that that soapbox is over. Anyone else think we should post spoiled pup pics? Dh still laughs when he sees Sirocco's strawberry shortcakes.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

Now that that soapbox is over. Anyone else think we should post spoiled pup pics? Dh still laughs when he sees Sirocco's strawberry shortcakes.

Yes, definitely! I love sharing pics of my girl so no complaints from me.

Oh, that reminds me, Karen had asked how to post photos. Karen, you can do it from your gallery here if you're a GT supporter, but I have no idea how. :lol I use Photobucket, which I find simple to use and it's free. You just upload your photos there, then while viewing your gallery, hold the mouse cursor over the photo and a little drop down window will appear with several links. Click in the box next to Img Code, the text will highlight, then do ctl+C to copy. Paste directly into your post here and viola, you are done. Here's a picture to help:

photobucket.jpg

Oops, you can't see that at all when shrunk. My bad. Well, onto the pics of my girl. :colgate

One of my recent faves - I posted this in cute and funny a little while ago:

NeylaBedroomEyes004.jpg

And this was taken the other night, a rare goofy shot from my otherwise dignified princess:

NeylaSillyGrin.jpg

Oh, what the heck, one more! Sleeping on the beach at Dewey last year:

Dewey09148.jpg

My secret hope is that she will still be healthy for Dewey this year although this is the first time I'm saying that "out loud" as I'm afraid I'll jinx us. :blush

Can't wait to see everyone else's photos!!

Edited by NeylasMom

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I say a big YES to pics!!!

Here's Charlie:

Pug pillow:

DSC_0170.jpg

At an M&G in Virginia Beach:

DSC_0238.jpg

Waiting for me to come home when we were travelling in the RV (note that is his leg that was amp`ed and if you look down below the knee, there was stitches and damage that occurred at some point. Dr. Coutu believe these types of injuries may lead to Osteo. This is the exact location of his Osteo):

DSC_0166.jpg

Navigating through Gettysburg:

DSC_0211_edited.jpg

He's a chow hound and raw carrots are a treat for him:

DSC_0165.jpg

His first 'winter coat':

DSC_0208.jpg

His gorgeous eyes:

DSC_0153.jpg

He loves tug a war with his sister Angie and is so gentle:

DSC_0224-1.jpg

All snuggled in:

DSC_0017.jpg

I could go on and on with pics of my boy Charlie.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

What a great thread idea Shannon. It's really great to see you all give each other support.

Karen, I will try to give you a call this evening, but know you and Chase have been in my thoughts a lot.

If there is anything I can do to help anyone, just let me know. I have unlimitted long distance, so if you need to talk, vent or ask questions I can call. Just PM me your number.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Gorgeous pictures Karen. Your girls are adorable.

Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest ChasesMum

here's more.... now my Q is, if you click on one link, can you view the whole FB album? or do I need to post each pic link separate?

I found some of our tripaw George too :)

pretty please?

couldnt ask for a better dog (or a messier kid)

crazy tripaw eyes

buddies in the yard

cancer buddies (mil)

hullo camera!

Edited by ChasesMum

Karen, I can't see them at all. You may have your privacy settings so that only friends can see your photos.

Angie and Charlie :wub: :wub: :wub:

Kyle, is that Gettysburg photo from this year? That's when Neyla first limped and I knew she had osteo. I wonder if we saw you at some point. I was a little anti-social though and spent a lot of time with the ABTers and GW folks only.

Guest ChasesMum

hmm janet (foxysmom) could see them but she isnt a fb friend. I used the 'public' link for pic sharing, which is supposed to allow that pic to be seen even with my privacy settings... hmmm can anyone else see them? I'll have to look into that,

had to guve Chase a breakthru dose of tramadol today, so she will be up to 3 - 50mg capsules a day. course she is kinda stoned right now. i'm ok with that. better than panting and uncomfy!

I can see them all. They are great!

Summer-3bjpg.jpg

Guest greyt_learner

It's great to see all these photos.

Our vet didn't recommend amputation, and I was kind of relieved as we'd decided that, knowing Puck as we do, he probably wouldn't be a good candidate. I don't know if he was quite far along when we caught it, but he is on previcox once a day and 2 50mg tramadol twice a day. He's doing quite well on that, still limping a little, but doesn't seem to be in any discomfort. He's still eating, and still very excited to go for his (now pretty short) walks.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30366171&l=2f4e2fd25a&id=1466621119

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30211580&l=de0c484d00&id=1466621119

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30127236&l=ba88ee7799&id=1466621119

I can see them now, I guess the problem was with FB. Karen, chase is beautiful!

And Hazel, all of those pics of Puck are adorable, but that first picture of his goofy roachy grin. :wub:

Guest ChasesMum

Oh Puck is a handsome pupper! Gotta love the roachcy grin and the big kisses!! :lol

Edited by ChasesMum

Guest azlorenz

These are some of my favorites of Flashyman

gallery_2056_3113_16383.jpg

This is from the Greyhound Gathering in Kanab, UT.

gallery_2056_3113_147861.jpg

This was camping up on the Mogollon Rim.

gallery_2056_3113_160221.jpg

His first year with us.

gallery_2056_3113_139537.jpg

Boy and his toys.

gallery_2056_3113_28907.jpg

And his favorite place in the world. :wub:

Guest azlorenz

aww Flashy! you really greyed out in the face, just like Chase! you are 2 good lookin patchy houndies! :wub

They sure are 2 good lookin patchy hounds. :wub:

Guest azlorenz

I hope this morning brings good things to all my friends and houndies dealing with this ugliness called osteo. Live each day to its fullest and love your houndies often.

You all are going to laugh. I am such a "nervous nell." I have returned to the office full-time as of yesterday and Flash and the girls have returned to their usual routine during the day. They are confined to the kitchen/family room with a dog door and all other creature comforts. I set up our laptop with video cameras and installed an app on my Blackberry so I can keep an eye on them while I'm away. We also fenced off the yard to about 1/4 of its size so there will be NO crazy running or other monkey business going on while we are away.

It has now been 36 hours post 1st chemo treatment (carboplatin) and all is well here. The first night and next am Flash was a little lethargic and I worried a bit but his temp was normal and he ate his supper and breakfast fine. BUT last night he was the old Flash throwing his toys around, etc. Last night he sleep all thru the night and got up the morning and threw his stuffies around and ate good. Fingers crossed this continues but so far so good.

Hugs to all of you. We walk this path not alone but together as one.

Guest Shermanator

I've lost track of how many of us there were this week with Osteo diagnosis. I know myself, Charlie's Dad. Who else?

We lost Sherman 7/1. I'm still very sad, and miss him terribly.

Karen, I can't see them at all. You may have your privacy settings so that only friends can see your photos.

Angie and Charlie :wub: :wub: :wub:

Kyle, is that Gettysburg photo from this year? That's when Neyla first limped and I knew she had osteo. I wonder if we saw you at some point. I was a little anti-social though and spent a lot of time with the ABTers and GW folks only.

Jen, no that pic was from a year previously when we happen to stop in Gettysburg during a RV trip between Canada and Virginia where I was doing some work. We were scheduled in to go this year to GIG but at the last minute something occurred that made us have to cancel. I was very bummed as it would have been our first big Greyhound event.

All the pups are beautiful. I finally get to see Flash and Chase! Patch pups!

Our vet didn't recommend amputation, and I was kind of relieved as we'd decided that, knowing Puck as we do, he probably wouldn't be a good candidate. I don't know if he was quite far along when we caught it, but he is on previcox once a day and 2 50mg tramadol twice a day. He's doing quite well on that, still limping a little, but doesn't seem to be in any discomfort. He's still eating, and still very excited to go for his (now pretty short) walks.

Hazel, Puck is a beautiful boy. I hope you did catch it early and that you have many, many happy months with your boy.

I hope this morning brings good things to all my friends and houndies dealing with this ugliness called osteo. Live each day to its fullest and love your houndies often.

You all are going to laugh. I am such a "nervous nell." I have returned to the office full-time as of yesterday and Flash and the girls have returned to their usual routine during the day. They are confined to the kitchen/family room with a dog door and all other creature comforts. I set up our laptop with video cameras and installed an app on my Blackberry so I can keep an eye on them while I'm away. We also fenced off the yard to about 1/4 of its size so there will be NO crazy running or other monkey business going on while we are away.

It has now been 36 hours post 1st chemo treatment (carboplatin) and all is well here. The first night and next am Flash was a little lethargic and I worried a bit but his temp was normal and he ate his supper and breakfast fine. BUT last night he was the old Flash throwing his toys around, etc. Last night he sleep all thru the night and got up the morning and threw his stuffies around and ate good. Fingers crossed this continues but so far so good.

Hugs to all of you. We walk this path not alone but together as one.

Shannon, that is awesome news about Flash's Chemo. You have quite the techy setup at home, greyt idea. Luckily for me, Lynn (DW) is home fulltime with our pups so Charlie will be spoiled by her. Unfortunately for me, I will be flying out to work this Sunday for 4 days and then another 4 days the week following. Right now I would much rather be at home with my boy enjoying day by day.

We lost Sherman 7/1. I'm still very sad, and miss him terribly.

I remember your loss of Shermanator, I am very sorry.

Kyle

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Guest carolxi

My poor little sweetie Anubis held up his sore leg and cried for quite a while this morning. He got excited, as he always does when we were getting ready to go for our morning walk. He did his cute little front leg jumps and then he lifted his bad leg (left hind) up quite high and cried and cried. All I could do was hug him and rub his tummy. It seemed to last forever. then it was gone just as quick as it came up and we went for our walk. It breaks my hears how he walks these days; he's so much slower than his normal self and he does quite a bit of panting. He also makes frequent stops. Last night I discovered a problem. He still wants to walk too far, and then he has trouble getting back home. I'm not sure how to deal with this. He seems to want to 'keep on going just a bit further' on the way 'there' and I don't want to take any pleasure away from him, but then we have the same distance to get back home. :( Has anyone else had this problem?

http://www.facebook....a&id=1466621119

http://www.facebook....0&id=1466621119

http://www.facebook....9&id=1466621119

What is the previcox? Anubis is also getting the tramadol twice a day and 2 Gabapentin once a day in the morning. The Gabapentin is a drug for diabetics for pain in their extremities because of poor circulation, I think.

My poor little sweetie Anubis held up his sore leg and cried for quite a while this morning. He got excited, as he always does when we were getting ready to go for our morning walk. He did his cute little front leg jumps and then he lifted his bad leg (left hind) up quite high and cried and cried. All I could do was hug him and rub his tummy. It seemed to last forever. then it was gone just as quick as it came up and we went for our walk. It breaks my hears how he walks these days; he's so much slower than his normal self and he does quite a bit of panting. He also makes frequent stops. Last night I discovered a problem. He still wants to walk too far, and then he has trouble getting back home. I'm not sure how to deal with this. He seems to want to 'keep on going just a bit further' on the way 'there' and I don't want to take any pleasure away from him, but then we have the same distance to get back home. :( Has anyone else had this problem?

What is the previcox? Anubis is also getting the tramadol twice a day and 2 Gabapentin once a day in the morning. The Gabapentin is a drug for diabetics for pain in their extremities because of poor circulation, I think.

Poor Anubis. It is terrible when our pups are in pain and want so much to help them. My heart breaks over Anubis. As for the walks, what about doing some sort of circle walk that way he will be thinking he is always going forward somewhere new? I am not sure where you walk currently, is it straight to one point and then direct back the same way? By walking in a circle, you'll always come back home hopefully before he tires.

Previcox is a drug for osteoarthritis, it's a NSAID. here's a link: http://previcox.us.merial.com/

Kyle

Edited by Charlies_Dad