Charlie's Has Bone Cancer

kyle - you and charlie are in our prayers today -- i am sorry that we have in common the osteo diagnosis this week - just sucks. i am praying for charlie. rivie's tumor is on her ribcage - so there will be no surgery - my heart hurts and my stomach is in a knot

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be keeping Charlie and you in my prayers. I think you will find that he is remarkably resilient. After adjusting, he will likely act like he has always As Dr. Couto says, there is no stigma against 3 leggers in the animal world, and they don't know they are handicapped. Once the anesthesia and pain meds from the surgery wear off (they can cause different symptoms, like panting, restlessness, etc.), the recovery moves along pretty well. That pain from the osteo is gone. Though the incision looks pretty frightening, it is soft tissue trauma, and the site heals up well. I always tried to be upbeat around Winnie, and not cry, even though I honestly have to say I was never able look at her and not wish that my precious girl wasn't whole again. But at the same time, I don't think she ever looked as stunningly beautiful to me. Though I realize we were incredibly lucky, she was with us for 3 1/2 great years.

Keep up up to date about Charlie. We'll be hoping for successful surgery, and quick recovery.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Sending prayers and lots of healing thoughts for Charlie and :grouphug for you and Lynn.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest IrskasMom

Kyle yes, this Words Bone Cancer sound all to familiar to me. Heartbroken isn't the Word.Charlie is in very hands with his Mom and Dad by his side and his Chances of a good Recovery are great. Rear Legs are easier on the Dog.

All the Prayers and Hugs that I can muster for Charlie and his Folks.We want to hear every thing about Charlie and always waiting for an Update.

Edited by IrskasMom

Thinking of Charlie and you and Lynn today.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

We just received word from the vet that Charlie is out of surgery and all went well. He'll likely be there until Monday and that is when he will come home unless they decide to keep in another day. I also updated another thread on Artemisinin about Charlie so sorry for the double posting.

Thank you everyone for your good thoughts, prayers and kind words. They do mean a lot when your pup is suffering...

Kyle

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

So glad the surgery is over...now the healing begins....stay strong we are all thinking about you here at the Beach.

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~

Guest Furmom

So happy to hear the good news!!!! Now you can spend some of your well spent energy into recovery - I am so happy for you both :)

Guest bigorangedog

Just seeing this thread now. Please PM me if you need to talk about anything. I have been through amps twice in the past year. Also see the link in my sig. I am thinking many good thoughts for you and your boy!!

Kyle,

Dr. Couto is currently in Argentina and Dr. Marin is also out of the country. So it is possible that you did not hear back from OSU today. They are not seeing greyhounds in person this week due to this unfortunate scheduling of their trips. Dr. Couto is out until the 21st and Dr. Marin is out until the 23rd.

If you need to get in touch with someone at OSU urgently, please give me a call (I sent you my phone number in a PM). If needed, I can drive into OSU and physically find one of the oncologists on Monday.

Jane