Charlie's Has Bone Cancer

Kyle- My heart broke when I saw Charlies name. I am so sorry. We are here for you. Seems like just yesterday with my beautiful Polli.

CANCER SUX

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

White light and good thoughts coming your way from central New Jersey.

Edited by Houndtime

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Oh, no. Sending all good thoughts and strength for you and Charlie.

Pam with Sockem the GH, Birdie the JRT, Osorno the chocolate lab, and Shelby the shepherd mix. Missing Clarice (1991-2007) and Lily (2004-2012), always in our hearts.

So my boy is going in this morning at 7am and I never got to see him. My flight was cancelled in Dulles so Lynn (DW) has the difficult time of bringing him in. I so wanted to be there and didn't sleep a wink last night at the hotel, too much worry, too many thoughts....I hope I will get a chance to see him sometime this weekend even though he will be drugged up. My concerns right now are making sure he is not in pain, that he will come out of surgery okay, bleeding is in 'control', getting the house ready (ramp and additional carpeting), keeping Lynn's hopes up as last night was very hard on her me not being there and finally running my business at the same time taking the burden off Lynn because this is killing her. I have read up on a good amount of information and hope I can control things as best possible.

Just curious. I know every pup is different but what is a decent expectation that Charlie will be able get around on his own? Two weeks? Dogs in general amaze me how quickly they bounce back from things but I guess I am just trying to determine my schedule up front and let my client know I may be out for the full two weeks.

Tks.

Kyle

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

All my thoughts will be with you, DW and Charlie this morning as he goes into surgery. May Charlie have a smooth, quick recovery on his road to healing.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Charlie my friend I will be thinking of you all day here are some good luck charms to go with my thoughts.

:clover:clover:clover:clover:clover:clover:clover:clover:clover:clover

Molleigh

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~

Oh Kyle, that just sucks!

I'm heading to work, but phone me any time at all. I'll have my cell on me.

I expect Charlie will be getting around quite well if not a bit slowly, by the time he comes home. We can talk on the weekend about the next step.

Charlie is in my prayers today, I'll be thinking of you and Lynn.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest PhillyPups

Kyle,

Thinking of you, Charlie and your family today. Many :hope from Philly.

Let the love and prayers from your GT family carry you on this journey. :bighug

Oh no! Wishing you the best possible outcome. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Oh, no. My thoughts will be with Charlie today and as he fights this terrible disease. They are also with you and your wife. Hugs.

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

Guest Paige12

I think you will be surprised at how quickly he will be getting around. Think days not weeks. Paige didn't lose her leg to cancer, but still, she was up on 3 legs that evening. Plan on crating him if he' ll accept it quietly, or if you have somewhere you can keep him contained. We tried keeping Paige in the living room on the other side of the baby gate with towels everywhere, (there will be seepage and probably a thin tube to help any drainage) we didn't want her in the kitchen/family room where the other dogs were because it's ceramic tile and I was scared to death she would slip and fall. She fussed so much that after 2 days, we relented and staying with her let her go in where the others were, she laid down on a bed, (we had covered them all with towels to keep clean up easy) and she never made another peep, and never slipped on the floor. However, she was VERY strong willed. Your boy might be much more accepting of you putting him somewhere and letting you keep him quiet and comfortable. You will all get through this. It will look very scary, but try to focus on the positive steps you are taking. At the Greyhound Conference earlier this year, Dr. Couto even made a joke about how common 3 legged greyhounds are. Be prepared for it to be much more traumatic for you and your DW than it is for your boy. Thoughts and prayers to you from Ohio. Beth

There is nothing that says you can't win this battle. CG even did an article one time on several long term survivors. My Ivy was not a long term survivor but even so the amputation she went through allowed us to have MANY HAPPY times we otherwise would not have had. She was just as happy after the amp as before because she loved to run and she still did-even afterwards. So fast you couldn't tell she was a tripod-she was just a blur. For her and I it was the right thing-a good thing. The evening after she came home(4 days after the operation) she jumped into my bed that night just like always. Recovery was fast and uneventful and I pray for the same for Charlie. She was not the least bit handicapped and the only concession that was made if you call it that was to secure some carpeting on the kitchen linoleum so she could have traction. I gave her at least 6 Fresh Factors a day and I really think that helped as she had chemo after the surgery and never had ANY ill effects from it. So hang in there! You can win this. Praying for Charlie!

So my boy is going in this morning at 7am and I never got to see him. My flight was cancelled in Dulles so Lynn (DW) has the difficult time of bringing him in. I so wanted to be there and didn't sleep a wink last night at the hotel, too much worry, too many thoughts....I hope I will get a chance to see him sometime this weekend even though he will be drugged up. My concerns right now are making sure he is not in pain, that he will come out of surgery okay, bleeding is in 'control', getting the house ready (ramp and additional carpeting), keeping Lynn's hopes up as last night was very hard on her me not being there and finally running my business at the same time taking the burden off Lynn because this is killing her. I have read up on a good amount of information and hope I can control things as best possible.

Just curious. I know every pup is different but what is a decent expectation that Charlie will be able get around on his own? Two weeks? Dogs in general amaze me how quickly they bounce back from things but I guess I am just trying to determine my schedule up front and let my client know I may be out for the full two weeks.

Tks.

Kyle

Like I mentioned earlier Ivy effortlessly jumped into bed with me the evening she came home-4 days after the operation. Hers was the right front. She was well able to go for short walks- a couple hundred yards- for the first 2 or 3 days; stretched out to a block or so in less than a week and then was running with me again 1-3 miles in 2-3 weeks. I had to restrain her to keep her from going too far too fast initially! She also quickly resumed running her beloved zoomies in the yard. The missing leg seemed like it affected her braking ability more than her speed because she continued to happily fly but it did seem like it might take a slightly longer distance to stop once she put the brakes on! I never confined her to a kennel and she just layed around the house like normal. I think you will be very surprised how little it actuallly affects him. Listen to him and he'll tell you how he's doing. Pain was not an issue either. Praying Charlies recovery is fast like Ivy's was!

Guest Furmom

OH NO - Charlie will be in my thoughts and prayers today! Kyle - we are in Ottawa too and have went through a bout of cancer this year as well and you can rest assured that Alta Vista will be very thorough in the care of Charlie.

I am going to PM concerning a ramp and anything else we may be able to help with!!

Just thinking of Charlie this morning.....and you, Kyle, and your DW. I'm so sorry for you that you were not able to spend last night with him - but you will be there for him as he rebounds and learns to walk on his three beautiful legs.

My DH and I send continued prayers to all of you.

I'm so very sorry and now exactly how it feels as our Flash was diagnosed yesterday and went through amputation this morning. His is also his Left Rear Leg. Sending prayers for Charlie.

Keeping Flash in my thoughts and prayers, along with Charlie. Having had a front leg tripod for myself, I would agree, your hounds once they learn a little bathroom balancing will do great. Beth

Prayers for Flash as well.....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Sending best wishes for the best outcome. Very sorry this battle has been forced on you. Situations are different for every dog, I realize. It it had been my recently departed senior I would not have an amp., in large measure because of other complications due to age not simply age. For my 8.5 yo, in your position I would fight.

All the best.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I'm so sorry to hear of Charlie's diagnosis. I've been through it 3 times. The patient will be walking (hopping) when they release him. If you don't have stairs, he'll be able to get around ok but slowly. I do suggest rubber backed rugs over any slippery floors until he learns his new balance. It will also take more energy so he'll get winded pretty quick. Fingers crossed for Charlie.