To Err Is Human...

or, in this case, canine. Meet Err (Cmon Err Not), here in one of her adoption mug shots:

GRAErr3.jpg

She is 4 (5 in August), and raced most recently at Birmingham.

The Short Story

For those who prefer to skip the blather and just look at the pics below, here's the essence of the story in three words: she's Piper's daughter.

The Full Story

Each year in June, GRA Canada has a reunion picnic. In 2007, I went with my then two greys Betsy and Edie. Bill of GRA suggested a take for a walk a recently arrived broodie named Easy (Cee Bar Easy). She didn't really connect with me, but I thought I should meet her again when the environment was quieter. I went back the next day with the poodles, we all got along famously, and Easy--renamed Piper--came home later that month.

Last fall, Piper had a long confusing illness. I finally said goodbye in mid January.

This year, the GRA Picnic was on June 12. A week earlier, a new group of hounds arrived. On Sunday, the Adoptables list was updated, and I saw this:

Err AKA Cmon Err Not - Bd - 5 - (Daughter of Cee Bar Easy)

Piper's daughter. I almost fell off my chair. I spent the week thinking about what I might do if Bill suggested that I take her for a walk.

I took Graham and Jessie to the picnic. When we arrived, I drove right to the barn to drop off some blankets. GRA rep Heather met me outside, and we went in to the front area with the blankets. The dogs were safely hidden by a closed door. As we walked out, Bill drove up. He looked at me and said, "Where are you going? Just turn right around and go in and see...." I asked, "See?" "Err".

So Heather and I went back in and walked down to where Err was crated. On the way, Heather told me that Err is playful (so was her mom) and affectionate (so was her mom). Err was about 10-12' from the rail, but she wiggled at us. Heather and I were there for a few seconds talking, and I looked up to see Err's eyes fixed on me. I know she was looking at me because when Heather spoke, Err glanced at her for a second before returning to me. If I wasn't a goner when I arrived, I was when I saw Err's interest. I agreed that when the kennel opened for business at noon, I'd come back and take her for a walk.

Like her mom, she was good with other dogs and people--one little girl said she'd been given a kiss--and barely noticed me. After 45 minutes or so, I had to leave, and I took her back. I promised Bill I'd call and let him know.

I had to think carefully. I wasn't sure I wanted to fill that 8th spot at all. I've always adopted older greys: the previous youngest were Edie (6) and Betsy (6 1/2); all the others were 8 or 9. If I were to adopt another, it should be a senior, rather than a youngster who would be easy to place. I wasn't at all sure I wanted to commit to another 8-10 years of dog stewardship.

It took me about 24 hours to realize that none of that mattered. I'd found it very difficult to turn down one of Piper's sisters because I didn't have room; I couldn't refuse her daughter when I did. So Sunday evening, five months to the day (and about an hour from the time) that I said goodbye to Piper, I called Bill and said I'd take Err.

She went to the vet on Monday for her spay and dental. I picked her up on Saturday June 19.

I couldn't call her Err, and every time I tried something that sounded similar--Clare, for example--Perry (often Perr) turned around. I decided to rename her Poppy. [bevd has been kind enough to say that she doesn't mind.]

The first thing I noticed--even from the adoption mug shots--was that she looks nothing like her mother. Piper was tall and long and narrow; she had a long greyhound nose, white face, large eyes, and long ears. Poppy is narrow, but she's tiny: short and short-backed. Her face is short and--at least for now--dark; her eyes are small. She's much redder than her mother, and although recorded as brindle, is at least as red as my red brindles. She actually looks a lot more like Miss Pinky Baker--a slightly smaller, redder Pink.

The second thing I noticed was that her behaviour resembles Tally's: when she gets excited, she bunches herself up in front of one ready to jump up (she's learning not to do so), she bounces and dances, she whips her tail like crazy, she's quick and agile, she has a natural sit, she kisses. For a time I thought that Piper was playing a huge cosmic joke on me by sending me a replacement for Tally.

[Aside: The rational me does not really subscribe to the "sent by" notion, but it's comforting. Tally brought Graham home before she left, so that Jessie wouldn't be alone in her group, and so that she could teach him how to sit at the front door before walks. Cora sent Pink--similar in size and colour but a bit more elegant and much more independent/stubborn--so that I'd have a broodie. And Piper sent me her little girl.]

Now that Poppy has been here for a while, I'm seeing some of her mother's best qualities: her intelligence and responsiveness. I'm relieved that she doesn't resemble her mother--it would be like being stabbed every time I looked at her--but I love that she is quick to learn and eager to please. It makes her a joy, just like her mom.

On to the important stuff.

The Pics

Saying goodbye to Bill at the kennel:

POIntro02.jpg

Discovering toys on her second day home:

POIntro03.jpg

She's now moved on to bigger toys. She still often ends up taking them to her crate:

POIntro04.jpg

An attempt to capture the contrast between her skinny little body and her incredible racer's muskels. According to GreyMatter, her last race was May 22--less than a month before she came home:

POIntro05.jpg

Two days after her arrival, when she'd been to the clinic for an initial checkup and a bath, and been rewarded with a bandana. The collar, one of several given to me at Christmas by GTer quietstorm of N/A Nothing Added, was earmarked for Piper, but I lost her before I managed to switch her tag. I didn't think I'd ever be able to use it, but it's perfect for Poppy:

POIntro06.jpg

Offering a sit for a treat:

POIntro07.jpg

The rest of the pics are from Friday June 25th, when she had her first post-spay run.

After her run, trotting toward me:

POIntro08.jpg

I got so involved with her that I forgot I'd taken the camera out until most of the action was over, but I did manage to get her running a bit so I could catch this pic:

POIntro09.jpg

She's so wiggly that it took me a week to get a pic of all of her. She doesn't really slope downwards--she's standing on the hill:

(POIntro10.jpg

Her ears aren't quite as impressive as her mom's, but they are pretty long:

POIntro11.jpg

Enjoying the day:

POIntro12.jpg

I'm not sure what was happening here, but I like to think that she's was drunk with happiness:

POIntro13.jpg

Discovering the pool:

POIntro14.jpg

Poppy's mom Piper:

All8Are909.jpg

Welcome home Poppy!

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

O.M.G. She reminds me so of Zema -- a different Zema, with a happy-go-lucky, unworried spirit. She is a beauty and the story of her coming to you is incredible. May you have many many enlightening, laughter-filled years together.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh, you are going to have soo much fun. She is a sweetheart. blush.gif Good for you!!! yay.gif

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

such a cute lil girl.....

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Guest hannahmom

Look at those muscles!!!!!

Not to mention that tiny face :)

I've been waiting for your Mom to make the official announcement - welcome home Poppy :kiss2

Lub Aunty Tena

Guest PiagetsMom

As I always say, what a lucky pup to have found her forever home with your and your group of pups! Poppy is a beautiful girl wub.gif Congratulations!

And, what does Mr. Graham think of his new little sister?

And, what does Mr. Graham think of his new little sister?

He thinks she's just fine. She's almost small enough (not including the neck and head) to fit in the rectangle of space underneath him. :eek They can sniff each other's interesting bits with virtually no bending. :P

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest PhillyPups

:confetti Welcome Home Poppy :confetti

I think she came up north the same weekend that DonJuan came up (different rides :lol )

Poppy is beautiful. Like you, the rational part of me is unsure of them being sent by those that were here before - but I have not been very rational since Runner raced in and stole my heart. :lol

Every pack needs a young un to keep the seniors young at heart. (Mine is also a B'ham pup, DonnieDude). :P

Poppy, you won the race to your Mama's heart, your prize is a lifetime of being cherished, adored and spoiled!!! :yay

Congratulations...you deserve many years of happiness after these last few months. She is very very cute!

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Congratulations!!!!!!!! :confetti :confetti She is a Beauty! It was truly meant to be...... :wub: :wub:

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

As always, beautifully done intro, S! I look forward to seeing Poppy again soon!

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Congratulations to you and Poppy! :confetti

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Welcome Sweet pea!!! It's about time your mom shares you with everyone ;):D

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest GoingRogue

Congrats!!!! I love, love, love to hear happy forever home stories for the greys that leave B'ham for Canada. My family and I were at the track kennel every weekend for about 2-3 months before bringing our guy home and I got to visit with a lot of the girls and guys that went to Canada last month.