! Roo Got Into Mouse Poison!

Guest WarmheartedPups

Guest WarmheartedPups

Oh...I am so sick.....we are spending our summer at the lake....Roo and I were in the garage...she was on her leash...and I was talking to my husband. I turned around to look at Roo and I saw she had something in her mouth....it turned out it was a big hunk of greenish blue DeCon...mouse poison. I got it out of her mouth.....I don't THINK she ate any.....but called the Vet in our small lake town immediately. They said to give her Hydrogen Peroxide...2 Tablespoons...twice if needed.... I did...within ten minutes of the "possible ingestion"...on the second dose of Hydrogen Peroxide. .. she vomited two huge piles. There was no greenish blue material of any kind...just some food ...bile...and bark......so I called the Vet back and they said she should be fine.,,,just watch her.

Does this all sound like correct protocol?.....I am a wreck....a sniveling wreck :crying

Sounds like you got it just in time. I would just watch her carefully today. Good Luck!

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest Maddison

Maddie ate a whole box of chocolate calcium vitamins one day. She had to do the peroxide barf thing without knowing how long it had been since she had ingested it. We got tons of the tablets and wrappers back out of her and she was fine. Not as strong as decon but poison is poison.

Ask the vet if you should start her on Vitamin K just to be on the safe side.

Hugs.

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

OMG! I am so sorry this happened!

Sending hugs to you and Roo.

:grouphug:hope

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest GiJenn51

I got home one day to 3 chewed traps by Trouble-- I frantically called poison control and they said about the same thing. There is apparently so little poison, it would take more to worry.

OMG. Hopefully no harm was done. I know it's hard - but try to calm down... sounds like she is going to be okay :) You acted quickly, and did all the right things!

My advice? Throw that awful, awful stuff away (but my guess is you've already done this!). Mouse poison is completely indiscriminate and a horrible. agonizing way to go - for anyone. And then you won't have to worry about it again...

Take it easy.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest shannon252

Our dogs have gotten ahold of mice that have been in the poison before. Even though we've always barfed them, our vet assures us that the amount of poison it takes to kill a mouse isn't enough to make the typical dog sick. Now, the whole barfing thing on the other hand, makes it look like that alone will kill them...but it won't. ;)

Hugs to both of you!

Guest WarmheartedPups

My advice? Throw that awful, awful stuff away (but my guess is you've already done this!). Mouse poison is completely indiscriminate and a horrible. agonizing way to go - for anyone. And then you won't have to worry about it again...

Take it easy.

Oh its GONE....we didnt even know it was there!! :eek

Guest WarmheartedPups

I got home one day to 3 chewed traps by Trouble-- I frantically called poison control and they said about the same thing. There is apparently so little poison, it would take more to worry.

So Glad Trouble is ok!!! Its frightening!!

Edited by WarmheartedPups

Just an FYI, when I had to make my dog vomit, I used peroxide and that took care of what she ate (Advil) but the downside was that she woke me up at 4am vomiting blood. So anytime I give peroxide for vomiting, I now give a prilosec otc about an hour later. That's what the vet had me give my dog when she was vomiting blood and it worked like a charm, all was well 2 days later when we left Ohio to move 2200 miles to Arizona! I gave one tab a day for 2 weeks since she'd actually been bleeding and since she was being stressed by the move.

So you might want to give something for the tummy, peroxide is very hard on the tummy.