Stretching

Bella stretches. A LOT. Big, long, low stretches that end with each hind leg stretched out and a shake of the tail.

She stretches when it's time for food. When it's time for walks. When she's telling us she wants to go for a walk. When she gets off the sofa. When she wakes up. Before she goes to sleep.

She'll also stretch almost as a greeting. For example, the other night DH & Bella went out to a nearby bar to meet some friends (side note - good DH, he even remembered her blanket). When I got there, she was snoozing, but got up, stretched and stuck her head under my hand for pats. Does the stretching mean anything or does it just feel good?

Just curious and figured GTers would have opinions and insight :)

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Guest KennelMom

it's common for dogs to stretch a lot. Feels good and it's good for them. Cats are also known for stretching a lot...it's probably one thing humans could learn from animals. Stretching is good :P

Guest caelanarcher

Aaron stretches a ton. His routine (whenever he gets up from a nap, gets out of his crate, finishes playing, whatever) is like this:

STREEEEEETCH with the front end down.

STREEEEEETCH the back until his rear foot thump-thump-thumps on the ground (it's really cute)

STREEEEEETCH the front end AND STREEEEEEETCH the mouth/tongue.

Guest NJgrey

I read somewhere that stretching is a form of greeting that dogs use when they see people they know and like. If she stretches when she sees you you should feel good :)

Ellie stretches a ton too. In all the same circumstances you describe. First her front legs go out, then she does the back legs. Her toes stretch out and spread apart too when she does it. Maybe it's a GFNJ thing...

My grey, Jake, stretches every time he gets up. He then follows that with a full body shake. If you are too close, you get ear-whipped. The ear flapping sound is what usually signals me in the morning that it is time to go out.

Guest oldNELLIE

Nellie does a pefect form Yogini "down dog" and "up dog" everytime she gets up. The first time I saw it I thought "So, THAT'S why they call it down dog!" :lol

Guest jaws4evr

Our does the same thing, I should count how many times she stretches in a day but it has to be 20-30. First downward-facing-dog, then upware-facing-dog. When we first got her she was so stiff as a board her upward-facing-dog stretch was only leaning forward a couple of inches :) She's limbered up considerably since not using her racing muscles.

All my current dogs, 2 Greys & a Shag, stretch more than any other dogs I've ever had. One though, Venus, stretches A LOT. When getting up, just before laying down, as a greeting, when she doesn't want to do something, when she can't figure out what I want her to do, before meals, after meals, when the wind changes direction... OK, it just seems like the last one.

We have a saying for her apparent approach to life, "When in doubt, stretch."

Edited by kudzu

Guest lanielovesgreys

it appears (to me) that greyhounds do it more than other breeds. laika farts audibly every time she stretches. lol.

Guest kydie

when my boy started this, I never had a dog that streched so much so I would say "bow to the queen" now he streches, or bows on command :lol

Guest Heehoo

All of mine do the get up, then stretch routine, but I noticed with Pipi & Smiley when I

take them to a meet & greet, they do it more after we've been there for about an hour.

So I inquired with my vet & he said they may be getting back cramps from standing too long.

Funny, when he said that, about that time Pipi stretched. He said "like that". I have noticed

it a lot more now with other people's greyhounds. So maybe that's what the deal is.

Edited by Heehoo

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lgyure85

Better ate than never, eh? Maddie stretches ALL the time. Super cute, but she ALWAYS wants her front paws on my feet when she does it!. OUCH! She grabs with her toe nails!

Oh yeah. All of mine stretch a lot during the day. Toni likes to put her front paws on (ME!) my chair where I'm sitting and stretch both ways. It's like levitating!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Yep, all of mine have, too! Sometimes Sid will do the front leg stretch when he sees me, without getting up from his bed. :lol

Just wanted to add, though, that if your dog seems to be stretching a lot in the 'downward dog' position without following it up with the hind leg stretch, it can be a sign of serious stomach discomfort. It happens if they just eat too much, too quickly - you'd probably notice an anxious look in her face then. . If I see one of mine do that, I 'burp' them by rubbing and patting firmly (but gently) on the ribcage. Once they've burped, they'll stop.

More seriously, it can often be seen in dogs with bloat - but in that case, it would continue, and get worse, and there'd be other symptoms like pacing and panting, and after a while, trying to vomit unproductively. :)

Edited by silverfish

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest tbrodzel

it appears (to me) that greyhounds do it more than other breeds. laika farts audibly every time she stretches. lol.

Ha Ha, Brynna does this too. The first time she stretched and let out a loud squeak from her bum I just started laughing. :lol Before that I never heard her pass gas, I only smelled it.

Brynna stretches ALL the time. When she wakes up, when she goes into the potty pen, before she eats, after playing, etc.

They say humans should really stretch more, maybe our animals are on to something. I know when I do stretch it sure feels good.