Sherman Has Cancer.

Guest Shermanator

I'm so sorry you, Sherman and your family are going through this. I know how painful the question of "when" is. I remember asking that same question on Loca's behalf a year ago. It sucks.

As so many others have said, Sherman will let you know when it's time. Regardless of the decision you make, it will be made out of love, respect and devotion for Sherman.

:grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My heart goes out to you. I have a few thoughts and suggestions.

When you decide the time is right you will NOT be "killing" your dog. You will be allowing him to pass with dignity and minimal suffering. Most of us humans hope we will go in the same way. Very few of us would prefer to stay alive at all costs, continuing on for a few more weeks in pain and misery.

I echo everyone else who says that you will know. When he's ready, your Sherman will stop being Sherman and will look inward. That is the best way I can describe it.

Now for suggestions:

Definitely email or mail his xrays to Dr. Couto. Although it is not common, there have been times he has reviewed xrays and accurately determined that it wasn't cancer. If nothing else, he will confirm the diagnosis so you will not have any doubts that you are doing the right thing for Sherman. Dr. Couto's email is couto.1@osu.edu

Often a combination of tramadol, an NSAID (deramaxx or metacam), and gabapentin (Brand name Neurontin) provides more relief than individual drugs alone. You may need to change to an actual opiate for more pain relief. Tramadol and opiates commonly cause panting. All of these medications, except for the NSAID, are available at human pharmacies. Check out the prices before purchasing from your vet.

No one has mentioned this yet. OS affects the strength of bones. Therefore, it is easy for a dog to break the bone at the site of the osteo. Of course, this is incredibly painful. If this happens, you will have no choice but to let him go or amputate.

If the osteo hasn't spread to the lungs, amputation with chemo is a very viable (but somewhat costly) option. Unfortunately, even if the lung xray is clear, there may be microscopic metastases. If there are no metastases, the average life expectancy after amputation is 12 to 18 months -- a few are lucky and live for several years more. Of course, if there are any mets, you may have just a few months. In any case, amputation removes the cause of the pain. After a few weeks the dog is typically very happy and pain free. Most are getting around on their own after just one to two weeks. It is always amazing to me how quickly they recover.

OSU will provide the chemo drugs at no charge. You would need to pay for the amputation and administration of the chemo. The chemo is typically administered via a slow drip. The only "pain" for the dog is the insertion of the IV. Since chemo for dogs is administered at much lower doses than for humans, there is considerably less side affects than humans face. Many dogs experience no side affects. Most have no more than a day or two of stomach upset.

Prices for amputation and chemo administration vary considerably with the area of the country and the vet. At OSU, they typically quote the amputation (inclusive of ICU and step down care) at $2800 to $3500. A typical course of chemo (including blood tests) is $500 to $800.

You know your dog best. Any decision you make will be out of love and respect for Sherman. Only you can determine what will be best for him.

I am so sorry that you and Sherman are facing this.

Well said Jane.

I'm sorry that you are faced with such a tough diagnosis--I know whatever you decide to do I'm sure the choice will be made with love and with Sherman's best interest at heart. Many hugs.

My heart is breaking for you and Sherman and for what you are having to face with this horrible diagnosis. I have no advice to share, but just wanted to let you know that you and Sherman are in my prayers. I'm so sorry that you are going through this.

Lynn_siggie-1.jpg

Guest greyheart123

Over the past 2 weeks, I noticed something wasn’t right with Sherman. He started panting all the time. He was eating, drinking, playing a little, and even going for walks, but panting all the time. (And it wasn’t heat, since he would do it all the time, morning, afternoon and evening.)

I starting noticing a little limping on a walk, I thought he pulled a muscle. I rested him for 2 days, and took a walk with him. He was excited for the walk, but I noticed the limp had returned, and it was pretty pronounced.

I took him to our vet on Saturday. He wasn’t in, (he was on vacation,) so I saw the vet who was filling in for him. His right foot was swollen, and they felt different. X-rays showed a large black/grey spot on his front ankle. The vet on Saturday couldn’t deny or confirm it was cancer, but when I spoke to our normal vet he confirmed it was a tumor.

We are turning to palliative care for him. We want to do what is best for Sherman, not for us. (Although we are devastated, and want him to be with us for many more years.) We want him free of pain, and distress.

He is still panting all the time. When he is laying down, he settles, but when he is up, after walking around a little, the panting begins. We have tramadol, but I can’t tell if its helping. We gave him 100mg last night, and he seemed ok, but I do not want to drug him heavily for the rest of his life, and make him zombie dog. He is still eating (his eggs, yogurt and a little kibble,) and drinking up a storm.

I do not know how to manage his pain. He’s not crying, and is still walking (with a little limp) on the bad leg. But the panting, clearly shows distress. When do I know enough is enough? This is so hard.

My biggest worry is that I am not managing his pain, and not doing right by Sherman. I do not know how to get a handle on his consistent panting, I know he is in distress.

Thanks.

Kelly

Guest greyheart123

We also found our today that our beloved Rhett has osteo and have spent the entire evening crying. We are so devastated and wish we could wake up from this terrible nightmare.

Our boy is not doing well and is off his food and is having a great deal of difficulty walking. We hate seeing him suffer so we have decided to let him go over the Bridge.

This is my first grey and we are so devastated it will probably be our last. He is such a perfect boy no one could replace him.

Hopefully you will have Sherman with you for as long as possible.

I truly do understand your pain.

We also found our today that our beloved Rhett has osteo and have spent the entire evening crying. We are so devastated and wish we could wake up from this terrible nightmare.

Our boy is not doing well and is off his food and is having a great deal of difficulty walking. We hate seeing him suffer so we have decided to let him go over the Bridge.

This is my first grey and we are so devastated it will probably be our last. He is such a perfect boy no one could replace him.

I'm sorry to hear the news about Rhett. Maybe in time you will consider adopting again--you won't ever be able to replace Rhett but, you will be able to show another dog love and a soft couch. When the time is right you will know it.

So many hurting hounds :( Research in this disease must continue--it is stealing too many of our beloved hounds. Major hugs.

I'm so sorry you & Sherman are dealing with this. I wish it weren't so. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I'm sorry to hear the news about Rhett. Maybe in time you will consider adopting again--you won't ever be able to replace Rhett but, you will be able to show another dog love and a soft couch. When the time is right you will know it.

So many hurting hounds sad.gif Research in this disease must continue--it is stealing too many of our beloved hounds. Major hugs.

nod.gif I have to believe that Rhett would be pleased. That because of him, you fell so in love with his breed that you couldn't be without one.

I am so sorry that you all are traveling this path. grouphug.gif

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I am very very sorry to hear the news about Sherman. I, like many, were hoping it wasn't this. I can't imagine what you are going through, it's a very difficult and personal decision on what you do for your pup. As you likely know and others have said, bone cancer is very painful and amputation doesn't cure anything, it just removes the pain quickly (Jen, aka bigorangedog has a great write-up on this and obviously a lot of experience). The pain management route is strictly that, trying to manage their pain while it is still manageable and each pup is different. It sounds like Sherman will need more or stronger meds. I wish you as much time with him as possible and we are here for you.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm so, so sorry that Sherman has gotten this terrible diagnosis. Too many of us know just how you are feeling. That time after your world is turned upside down is horrible---you are faltering and just don't know where to turn. There is so much excellent information here, and comfort as well. Please use that knowledge, and know that you can ask questions, vent, cry, and celebrate each small victory. Like others have said, you know your boy best. If he is a candidate for amputation, it is a consideration, if not, you do the best you can to keep him safe and manage his pain. I believe you know if he still wants to be here. And if he does, it's not selfish to do whatever you think is best to make that time meaningful and filled with love.

You and Sherman are in our prayers.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

You have gotten great advice from everyone, I don't really have anything to add. I know exactly what you are going through, and I had the same feelings about "killing" my dog. But it is not you that is killing him, it is the cancer. Please remember that. You are doing the best you can for your boy, and he knows that. We are all here for you :grouphug

I'm so very sorry you received this news, it is just devastating. I agree with fandogs comments, the "inward look", it is hard to explain beyond those two words, but I've seen it twice and there is no doubt what it is when you see it. Please spoil him rotten and hold him close.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

It is always tragic to have to face the loss of one so loved. The loss of your first is just that much more difficult.

Over the years, I realize that I let some go too soon, others too late, and some at just the right time. You do the best you can with the facts and emotions you have at the time.

Whatever happens, and whenever it happens, it will be with the most love and care that Sherman could ever know.

I’m so sorry for your pain.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest Shermanator

Thank you to everyone for their thoughts and advice. We saw the vet today to discuss pain management. As.the vet was palpatating the leg og the affected wrist, he yelped sharply. We took x rays - I needed to see it. More cancer. I'm heartbroken, I love him so much.

Guest PhillyPups

:bighug I wish I had words or was able to help stop Sherman's pain, it is such a rough journey you are on. :bighug

I hate cancer. :angryfire

I will keep you all in my prayers. :hope

I'm so sorry :grouphug

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest Shermanator

I am so sorry to hear this. I wish we could wake up from this nightmare, too. Sherman was my first greyhound, too and my heart doggie. I love this dog to death. Such a sweet, stoic, soft, mellow BIG boy. Sherman is also the perfect greyhound, no shenanigans, no bad behavior, just a sweet boy. (Unlike his brother Patton, who is my big, goofy, boy who is always up for everything, and is super silly.) I am going to miss his sweet presence. I know Patton is going to miss him too.

I am fascinated by Patton. He knows something is up. He keeps sniffing the leg where Sherman's cancer is located. I swear that dog knows what is happening.

I will be adopting another greyhound. I think of it this way - NOTHING can replace Sherman, and a new dog will never replace him. But, I can provide a new, happy life for another greyhound in need, it warms my heart, and makes me happy. We need to see how Patton reacts to being alone, but I suspect we will adopt quickly. Not to replace Sherman, but to move forward, remember Sherman, and provide the best home I can to a grey in need.

Guest sirsmom

I'm so sorry to here about your Sherman. We lost our Sir a few years ago to OS and I know what you are going through. We decided on the palliative route also rather than amputation and I do remember he did pretty well for the first couple of months on just prednisone. Then we had to go with Derrmax. Lots of hugs.

Guest SusanP

I'm so sorry you and Sherman are going through this. We just lost our Wizard a little over a week ago, and it was also hard to know if the time was right. I'll always second guess myself, but Wizard was barely eating (maybe 2 jars of baby food in a day) and no longer cared about walks with the others. He either slept or paced, and we were out of treatment options. I think I understand the "looking inward" thing--he was no longer really involved in living and just plain didn't care about any of the things he used to care most about.

I'd want to have him comfortable enough not to be panting, personally, on whatever meds.

I know the pain you are going through, having just been through it. Feel free to PM me if you need to "talk". :grouphug

Guest greyheart123

I am so sorry to hear this. I wish we could wake up from this nightmare, too. Sherman was my first greyhound, too and my heart doggie. I love this dog to death. Such a sweet, stoic, soft, mellow BIG boy. Sherman is also the perfect greyhound, no shenanigans, no bad behavior, just a sweet boy. (Unlike his brother Patton, who is my big, goofy, boy who is always up for everything, and is super silly.) I am going to miss his sweet presence. I know Patton is going to miss him too.

I am fascinated by Patton. He knows something is up. He keeps sniffing the leg where Sherman's cancer is located. I swear that dog knows what is happening.

I will be adopting another greyhound. I think of it this way - NOTHING can replace Sherman, and a new dog will never replace him. But, I can provide a new, happy life for another greyhound in need, it warms my heart, and makes me happy. We need to see how Patton reacts to being alone, but I suspect we will adopt quickly. Not to replace Sherman, but to move forward, remember Sherman, and provide the best home I can to a grey in need.

Guest greyheart123

Thanks for your support. I don't know about another but time will tell. I have lost other puppies before but Rhett has my whole heart and sole,

Am waiting to hear from my vet to confer on what the surgeon said. Our home is a tri-level and he can barely manage stairs now but with a rear leg missing it will be impossible and he will have to be alone on the first floor. He cries when he is lonely and now he cries in pain.

Sorry to be so sad but I am so distraught in knowing I have to make the best decision for my boy- but I want to keep him forever.

I'm so sorry.

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

Guest LeanneSchatz

I am so sorry you are having to go through this. I can't even begin to imagine what you are feeling. I pray that you find some comfort in everyone's kind words.

Hugs!!