Osu Greyhound Wellness Site

Guest KennelMom

I've always been surprised they don't charge a consulting fee. I've no problem paying $99 to support this wonderful program. Access to the info and articles are a bonus. Dr. C and his staff have earned angel wings many times over for their tireless dedication to our hounds.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my current financial state, I would be reluctant to pay the $99 just to access the FAQs and newsletter; I would pay $30-$35 for those things. If I needed a consult, I'd have no problem paying a competitive fee for that.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Swifthounds

I've always been surprised they don't charge a consulting fee. I've no problem paying $99 to support this wonderful program. Access to the info and articles are a bonus. Dr. C and his staff have earned angel wings many times over for their tireless dedication to our hounds.

If they charged for just the OSU proprietary information - things related to their research rather than basic greyhound information, I might be inclined to agree. Instead, they put out useful, basic greyhound information, that became the "go to" place for a lot of folks and was linked to and referred by adoption groups, got the huge PR bump and publicity from that, and then pulled it back. As a business, you makes some things available for low cost or no cost to get people in the door or to promote affirmatively handling situations rather than treating problems once they arise. You do it because it's good PR for your business or program and you do it because providing some basic service is the right thing to do.

Also, the folks they are now charging have done a lot of donating and fundraising and financial support over the years - at least some of them will have already spent or donated their allotted amount to use to support OSU already, and now cannot scrape up the $99 for six months of availability.

I know that OSU provides a lot of good, free or low cost services, but they also get a lot of support from the greyhound community. While a significant number of greyhound will get cancer, not all will. Of those who get cancer, many are outside the area where they could directly benefit from the free/low cost services and fair number of them wouldn't opt for extensive treatment measures like chemo, especially where it's merely or mostly palliative or isn't likely to extend the survival time.

I believe this is a very complex issue, most of which is not visible to us. The OSU veterinary clinic is not just a business - it's also part of The Ohio State University, which is full of rules & regulations. Dr. Couto has stated before how much work he's had to do just to get the operation that he has. They have never funded it & it has been a struggle to do what he's been able to accomplish. My feeling is that they've tolerated this greyhound stuff & as long as it didn't interfere with his real job & whatever else they expect of him, they'd allow it. There are certainly many perks being associated with OSU that wouldn't be available to him on the outside but something's gotta give eventually.

I would like to see him stay at OSU & be able to do what he loves - working with greyhounds & for the galgos. He & his team are compiling data & doing as much research as they can. No one else is doing as much for greyhound health as this program is & it's not just for cancer. Research takes time & money. That said, I would like to see the information back up on the site for free. I hope that that is the eventual intention. They could still have an annual membership program that gets you more detail or access or a Tshirt tongue.gif. I view it as joining any other society: a zoo, a museum etc. I give more than $99 to OSU every year anyway so it's a moot point but I do understand everyone's concern.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest LindsaySF

In my current financial state, I would be reluctant to pay the $99 just to access the FAQs and newsletter; I would pay $30-$35 for those things. If I needed a consult, I'd have no problem paying a competitive fee for that.

First of all I want to say that what I have to say is no reflection on the tireless work that Dr. Couto and his team have done for greyhounds. They truly are angels to the greyhound community. However it doesn’t seem that OSU put a lot of thought into the change with regard to access to everything on the Greyhound Health and Wellness website by paid subscription only

Okay, so let me see if I understand this correctly. Now if I want to make a memorial dedication to someone’s greyhound who has passed away from cancer. I will first have to pay a $99 subscription fee to access the site, then pay for the memorial and then tell the person whose greyhound passed away that if they and everyone else they care to share it with care to read it they will also have to pay a $99 subscription fee too. blink.gif

Perhaps it's time for Dr Couto to leave OSU and set up his own consulting practice. I know this is simplistic since I don't have the facts. If Dr C is looking towards retirement or working part time he could have his own consulting/vet practice; he could do what he wants, when he wants, minus the research.

As for funding anything, I suspect if all of us who consulted with him or who have our vets consult with paid him a fair fee, he could continue helping the hounds that way. It just wouldn't be through OSU.

One of Dr. Couto's loves is his research to find a cure or very effective treatment for cancer. For many reasons this is best done at a University. If I were him I would want to ensure my work continues.

I had responded to Dr. C's email commenting on whether lowering the fee would get enough additional registrations to make the same or more money. He responded:

Good input on the fee; we’ll look into it.

He also said in his previous message:

We are also looking at ways to make some materials available to the Greyhound community without subscribing.

So it sounds like it is a work in progress and our imput will be taken into account (as much as possible -- I think there are probably a lot of things going on behind this decision that we are not aware of.).

If you look at this from a fund-raising point of view; the organization raising funds often gives something away in return for a donation. Perhaps they need a tiered donation. Non-OSU intellectual property for free, "Old" OSU intellectual property for a relatively small fee, and new info for a bit larger fee?

I totally agree with this.

First of all I want to say that what I have to say is no reflection on the tireless work that Dr. Couto and his team have done for greyhounds. They truly are angels to the greyhound community. However it doesn’t seem that OSU put a lot of thought into the change with regard to access to everything on the Greyhound Health and Wellness website by paid subscription only

Okay, so let me see if I understand this correctly. Now if I want to make a memorial dedication to someone’s greyhound who has passed away from cancer. I will first have to pay a $99 subscription fee to access the site, then pay for the memorial and then tell the person whose greyhound passed away that if they and everyone else they care to share it with care to read it they will also have to pay a $99 subscription fee too. blink.gif

It appears that you would have to register and pay the $99. I don't know if there is still a memorial donation required. However, you do not need to register to see the memorials:

https://greyhound.osu.edu/giving/memorials/index.cfm

Perhaps it's time for Dr Couto to leave OSU and set up his own consulting practice. I know this is simplistic since I don't have the facts. If Dr C is looking towards retirement or working part time he could have his own consulting/vet practice; he could do what he wants, when he wants, minus the research.

As for funding anything, I suspect if all of us who consulted with him or who have our vets consult with paid him a fair fee, he could continue helping the hounds that way. It just wouldn't be through OSU.

One of Dr. Couto's loves is his research to find a cure or very effective treatment for cancer. For many reasons this is best done at a University. If I were him I would want to ensure my work continues.

I hope he can do it his way but the $99 to access seems to be a major stumbling block. Something has to change but I dunno what other than what we've collectively come up with.:dunno I look forward to the solution that allows for research and consults and treatments. (Too bad he can't be cloned. It seems like he's working three different jobs as it is!)

Edited by MZH

Guest Lillysmom

I know I don't post much and that my opinion really won't matter at all in the grand scheme of things, but I personally would have no problem with paying $99 to gain access to the OSU Greyhound Health and Wellness Program information. Being on the receiving end of their amazing generosity and loving care this past year, I would do anything I can to help keep this wonderful program going. I know some of you go above and beyond to provide donations to the program, and I think that's absolutely awe-inspiring, but you also need to take into consideration the sheer quantity and quality of service they provide and the fact that it would be nearly impossible (not to mention even more ill-received) to choose who has to pay and who doesn't because of their past donations.

Also, as an alternative, there is the option for a veterinarian to become a subscriber/member. I would hope that if you are struggling financially the veterinarian that you choose to normally see would consider paying the fee to be a subscriber/member in the interest of the health of their patients, if they don't already. I know my vet sees a lot of greyhounds, and I would assume that she would want to continue her lines of communication with the GHWP and share their information and resources with me.

Whether you agree with the new setup or not, please try not to lose sight of the amazing things this program does for the lives and health of our hounds.

Guest eaglflyt

I don't know if this is possible, but I wish they had an option for an automatic monthly donation. It would be a lot easier for many to have an auto-deducted $5 - $10 per month payment made to the program than a $99 up front fee. Plus, if it was $10 (or whatever the donor decided to donate), it would generate more than $99 per year. Plus, with regular, monthly donations there wouldn't be the problem of the 1-1 to 12-31 limit of your membership and the penalty to those that sign up later in the year and still pay the same price as those that sign up on 1-1. They might make different levels of services and access based on monthly donation amounts. Say $5 a month for basics, $10 a month for more, and $15 a month for platinum type benefits.

This is a bit off topic, but something I find very frustrating in university settings. We live in Norman, OK ... the home of Oklahoma University and the Sooner college teams. These athletic teams bring in millions of dollars of revenue each year. I'm certain that the Ohio State Buckeyes bring in at least as much to the Ohio State university. The problem is that those funds only benefit the athletic departments. The athletic departments are literally rolling in money, while some programs barely have funding for basic supplies and tuition increases each year are a given. I wish the university system was a bit more flexible with their financial setup so they could share the wealth between departments. :( I don't know if this is because of federal restrictions, or what, but I find it very frustrating.

I know I don't post much and that my opinion really won't matter at all in the grand scheme of things, but I personally would have no problem with paying $99 to gain access to the OSU Greyhound Health and Wellness Program information. Being on the receiving end of their amazing generosity and loving care this past year, I would do anything I can to help keep this wonderful program going. I know some of you go above and beyond to provide donations to the program, and I think that's absolutely awe-inspiring, but you also need to take into consideration the sheer quantity and quality of service they provide and the fact that it would be nearly impossible (not to mention even more ill-received) to choose who has to pay and who doesn't because of their past donations.

Also, as an alternative, there is the option for a veterinarian to become a subscriber/member. I would hope that if you are struggling financially the veterinarian that you choose to normally see would consider paying the fee to be a subscriber/member in the interest of the health of their patients, if they don't already. I know my vet sees a lot of greyhounds, and I would assume that she would want to continue her lines of communication with the GHWP and share their information and resources with me.

Whether you agree with the new setup or not, please try not to lose sight of the amazing things this program does for the lives and health of our hounds.

Well put!! I was stuggling with my post but, you really hit the nail on the head! I too have recently been on the receiving end of their care and yes, it was amazing care to say the very least. I will always be forever grateful for the services they provided. I do understand all about budgets--believe me I had 2 very critical dogs within the last 18 months which completely drained my bank account but, I still managed to subscribe to the site and I did donate further--was it a bit of a struggle--yes, would I do it again--in a heartbeat!

I have been assured by Dr Couto, as has Jane, that they will continue to do free consults etc. Right now there are a couple of problems with the set up of the website. The "Contact Us" button should be independent of the membership registration. That has been pointed out and hopefully will be fixed soon. He would like some greyhound health information to be available without the membership. They are listening. I will be calling and chatting with Dr Couto as soon as we can work out a time we are both available. :lol

I know this has to be frustrating for him, expecially since this is not his area of expertise.

I've made a change on the Hope for Hounds website, if you click on the link in my siggy there is now a link on the page that gives you the email address for the GHWP. Right now I am trying to make sure no greyhound in need of a consult falls through the cracks.

I'm sending them a cheque later this week for $1,600.00 the result of our recent quilt auction.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I have been assured by Dr Couto, as has Jane, that they will continue to do free consults etc.

Just to confirm this one of our adopters contacted Dr. C's team by email just last week and received the same wonderful, courteous response and assistance as always!

Donna

I get the sense from joejoesmom's original post that Dr. Couto et al were pressured into getting the website up and running sooner than anticipated, thus their inability to communicate the change to (or get feedback from) the GH community. I also get the sense that, because they don't have access to OSU's resources or fundraising services, they probably did not have professional guidance in how best to approach setting up a new fee schedule for their online services. I would bet it's the last thing on their mind to jeopardize their accessibility or support of the greyhound community.

I think Dr. Couto is a member of a dwindling group of professionals: those opting to dedicate themselves to academia.

The money is in private practice, but gratification and dedication to teaching vet students and residents, as well as conducting research, brings its own rewards (usually not financial ;)). It's becoming more difficult to juggle both academia and clinical practice (not to mention writing grants and fundraising efforts), and I give Dr. Couto tremendous credit for doing so. Scoop (MZH), I hope he never leaves academia, even if he has to phase out his clinical hours. He has so many talents to pass on, and doing so will expand the circle of veterinarians coming out of training with a solid foundation in greyhound wellness.

I don't know if he has a professional web designer putting together the site; I would doubt that they're at the point where they can incorporate processes such as auto-payment or complex navigation based upon permissions granted to each individual accessing the site (i.e., members given access to certain areas, non-members given access only to limited areas, and opening options such as purchasing memorials easily available to all). Especially with the crush to get the site live very quickly, he probably didn't have the time to explore all of the options.

I do agree completely with the idea of consults becoming fee-for-service. This is being done commonly at many veterinary schools and vet referral practices. It's usually a vet-to-vet consult for a set fee, and the request is generated by the vet. (and of course the fee is generated by the owner :lol). For instance, look at the Tufts behavioral Dept. website: Linky

This is Nicholas Dodman's clinic. They provide paid online consults for both vets and owners.

Not only does this generate funds, but it also makes Dr. Couto's services available to those who cannot get to OSU.

I'm sure this will come to a compromise that everyone is comfortable with. I believe Dr. Couto's philosophy and goals for Greyhound wellness will prevail (as will everyone's bank accounts ;)).

Edited by greyhndz

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Hey, J, it sounds like Dr C wants to continue with free consults. I sure understand why he would want to stay in academia but sometimes one can't do it all, hence my thought that maybe leaving might be best. I think Jane implied he may want to lighten his load, so that's I why mentioned that. I wonder if his "greyhound staff" would be able to do research too. That's why I still think he needs to be cloned.;)

In the end he'll work it out the way he wants it to work out. I'd pay the $99 subscription fee -- I tried to register twice but I kept getting an error -- but I think more people would go for it if it was based on a subscription from June to June, for example, not Jan to Dec. Or pay a small-ish fee to get access to the site for 24 hours or so like the major medical sites do.

PS I'm glad you put GreytHealth in your sig line. :thumbs-up

"Scoop"

Guest budsmom

I had a few ideas about this that I thought I'd just throw out.

Maybe OSU could put all the "basic" greyhound stuff on a DVD and sell that for a reasonable fee - like $15.

They could set up different levels of membership with different prices - basic gets you the basic info and all updates for $25/yr; deluxe gets you the basic info and x number of consults/yr for $50; premium gets you basic plus deluxe and free chemo drugs for $99/yr (or something like this).

They could probably easily tweak the set up so that the membership runs for 12 months, rather than calendar year, so that people get a full 12 months for their $99.

I'm sure that Dr. C and his team are in a tough spot, not being funded by OSU. I understand that they need to generate money somehow to continue their work, and that it's really difficult in this economy. I'm sure that this is a "work in progress" and will change and evolve as it's used and they get more ideas. From everything I've ever heard about him, Dr. C would never turn away a hound who needed help and I'm just really grateful that the greyhound community has him.

Guest Mom2Shiloh

I totally love Dr. C and his work. I'm sorry he's got all these additional complications and turmoils going on... I surely wish OSU were able to be more helpful to him and his program and realize what a gigantic, enourmous, positive impact his work and his program is for the University as a whole.

That being said.. hoping that people with competence with website design and set up will be allowed to help on a volunteer basis to get things set up so they're moving along easily and smoothly. I really support the idea of different levels of membership. Not only would that make things more user friendly and accessible to the general community that needs and supports him, but in the long run I think they'd bring in more money for the program.

I couldn't afford the $99 unless I ran into a serious need for access to the information -- currently not in that position. But if it were $25 for a general membership, and the site were easy to access and use, then I would join anyway -- in part to be supportive-- and I am willing to bet that there are hundreds of people who would feel and do the same.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

If they're like other universities, it's a university department that does the website. In some cases you might be able to use volunteers, outside contractors, etc. ... but if it's on university servers, it all has to go through the university.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• 3 months later...

I have been assured by Dr Couto, as has Jane, that they will continue to do free consults etc. Right now there are a couple of problems with the set up of the website. The "Contact Us" button should be independent of the membership registration. That has been pointed out and hopefully will be fixed soon. He would like some greyhound health information to be available without the membership. They are listening. I will be calling and chatting with Dr Couto as soon as we can work out a time we are both available. :lol

I know this has to be frustrating for him, expecially since this is not his area of expertise.

I've made a change on the Hope for Hounds website, if you click on the link in my siggy there is now a link on the page that gives you the email address for the GHWP. Right now I am trying to make sure no greyhound in need of a consult falls through the cracks.

I'm sending them a cheque later this week for $1,600.00 the result of our recent quilt auction.

Ok, I'm confused here. Is there a $99 membership fee for consults or not?

Just took one of our greys to the vet because she is intermittently limping. X-rays show something suspicious but not a big enough spot for a needle biopsy. Additional X-rays show nothing has metastized so if it is cancer she would be a good candidate for an amp and chemo.

I certainly have no problem with the $99 consult fee if this turns out to be cancer and we do the amputation/chemo route...in fact, I'm sure I'll donate more than that.....but do we still need to pay that fee to have him take an expert look?

Mom to BridgeGreys~~STORM 07/99-02/08/11, VICKI 12/15/00-01/12/11, BAY 02/00-10/25/10 and CASHEW 10/99-2/23/10

and cats ~~ IRISH, MUMBLES, MUFFIN, TJ, PUNKIN and Bridge cats SARAH (07/29/97-07/07/06) and BRIE (04/11/96-01/22/12)

a very lively Whippet, OLIVIA and JAKE, the Iggy

Ok, I'm confused here. Is there a $99 membership fee for consults or not?

Just took one of our greys to the vet because she is intermittently limping. X-rays show something suspicious but not a big enough spot for a needle biopsy. Additional X-rays show nothing has metastized so if it is cancer she would be a good candidate for an amp and chemo.

I certainly have no problem with the $99 consult fee if this turns out to be cancer and we do the amputation/chemo route...in fact, I'm sure I'll donate more than that.....but do we still need to pay that fee to have him take an expert look?

There is NO FEE for consults. However if you do join the website ($99 for a year or $49 for a half year) please submit your consult via the web. This allows for automated tracking of metrics. If you do not join the website, you can still get a phone or email consult for no charge. If you decide to donate, please do so through the greyhound project website as they will double your donation. If you have any problems, please let me know.

Jane

Here is info on how to contact Dr. Couto and his team. The email or phone consult is free, however a few people have been told they must sign up for the website ($50) and submit the request that way. Dr. Couto tells me that this is not true. However, if you are a member of their website, please submit your request that way because it will automate things and make record keeping for them easier. Certain chemo drugs are free; you would need to pay to have them administered.

Greyhound Health and Wellness Program

Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine

601 Vernon Tharp Street

Columbus, Ohio 43210

Phone: (614) 247-6757 or (614) 247-8490

Email: greyosu@osu.edu

Website: http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/GHWP.htm (registration and fee now required to get full access to this site)

This email goes to the team. If Dr. Couto is traveling, you may get a quicker answer from one of his team members. Drs. Marin and Zaldivar typically respond to greyhound owners. The consult is free but if you can afford to support the program please do so. You can sign up for full access to the website ($99 per calendar year) or donate through the giving page on the website. If you decide to donate, you can double your money by giving through the Greyhound Project. Just go to this website and scroll down to the appropriate donation button: http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/donate.shtml. They will match the funds that you donate.

The Team:

Dr. Couto, Department Head, Greyhound Medicine, Oncology and Hematology

Dr. Lili Marin, Greyhound Health and Oncology

Dr. Sara Zaldivar, Greyhound Health and Oncology

Dr. William Kisselberth, Oncology

Dr. Cheryl London, Oncology

Dr. Cristina Iazbik, Blood Bank Director and Hematologist

Dr. Bridget Urie, Oncology Resident

Dr. Matt Sherger, Oncology Resident

Dr. Joelle Fenger, Oncology Resident

Dawn Hudson, Vet Tech

Ashley DeFelice, Vet Tech

Stacey Gallant, Vet Tech

Drs Marin and Zaldivar are originally from Spanish speaking countries. If you have trouble understanding them over the phone, you might ask for one of the other vets or vet techs to “translate”.

Dr. Couto's direct email is:

couto.1@osu.edu

His phone number is also 614-247-6757. If he is in town, he typically returns emails in the early hours of the morning.

You should know that (in my humble opinion) they need more staff. Unfortunately finances do not permit it at this time. They do 20 to 30 greyhound consults a day along with all of their "in canine" patients. Depending on their workload there may be a wait for the consultation. If you are contacting them on an emergency basis, please let them know.

If you want to make an appointment to be seen in person/canine, you can call the main number to set up a date/time. The main number for the veterinary hospital is 614-292-3551.

If you decide to visit OSU please contact me. I may be able to put you up in a local home, provide moral support, or just help with logistics:

Finewhipador-drool@yahoo.com

There is NO FEE for consults. However if you do join the website ($99 for a year or $49 for a half year) please submit your consult via the web. This allows for automated tracking of metrics. If you do not join the website, you can still get a phone or email consult for no charge. If you decide to donate, please do so through the greyhound project website as they will double your donation. If you have any problems, please let me know.

Jane

Here is info on how to contact Dr. Couto and his team. The email or phone consult is free, however a few people have been told they must sign up for the website ($50) and submit the request that way. Dr. Couto tells me that this is not true. However, if you are a member of their website, please submit your request that way because it will automate things and make record keeping for them easier. Certain chemo drugs are free; you would need to pay to have them administered.

Greyhound Health and Wellness Program

Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine

601 Vernon Tharp Street

Columbus, Ohio 43210

Phone: (614) 247-6757 or (614) 247-8490

Email: greyosu@osu.edu

Website: http://www.vet.ohio-state.edu/GHWP.htm (registration and fee now required to get full access to this site)

This email goes to the team. If Dr. Couto is traveling, you may get a quicker answer from one of his team members. Drs. Marin and Zaldivar typically respond to greyhound owners. The consult is free but if you can afford to support the program please do so. You can sign up for full access to the website ($99 per calendar year) or donate through the giving page on the website. If you decide to donate, you can double your money by giving through the Greyhound Project. Just go to this website and scroll down to the appropriate donation button: http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/donate.shtml. They will match the funds that you donate.

You should know that (in my humble opinion) they need more staff. Unfortunately finances do not permit it at this time. They do 20 to 30 greyhound consults a day along with all of their "in canine" patients. Depending on their workload there may be a wait for the consultation. If you are contacting them on an emergency basis, please let them know.

If you want to make an appointment to be seen in person/canine, you can call the main number to set up a date/time. The main number for the veterinary hospital is 614-292-3551.

If you decide to visit OSU please contact me. I may be able to put you up in a local home, provide moral support, or just help with logistics:

Finewhipador-drool@yahoo.com

Thank you for the info. My vet will be in touch with Dr Couto and have him take a look at the X-rays. She is a little perplexed at the shadowing that shows up on the x-ray. Not being at vet or an expert, it mystifies me as well. The bone looks good but it's unknown what the shadowing is and it's showed up on several x-rays.

If it is cancer, we have found it at a perfect time to amputate but hate to remove a perfectly good leg if it isn't. It's such a small spot, she didn't want to do a fine needle poke for a biopsy.

I'm having a damned if we do..damned if we don't time.

Mom to BridgeGreys~~STORM 07/99-02/08/11, VICKI 12/15/00-01/12/11, BAY 02/00-10/25/10 and CASHEW 10/99-2/23/10

and cats ~~ IRISH, MUMBLES, MUFFIN, TJ, PUNKIN and Bridge cats SARAH (07/29/97-07/07/06) and BRIE (04/11/96-01/22/12)

a very lively Whippet, OLIVIA and JAKE, the Iggy