Suggestions For Pill Splitter

Does anyone have a suggestion for a decent pill splitter?

I have two dogs on Meloxicam. One takes half a pill, the other can do one fourth but would be better on one third. The splitter I have doesn't always do an even half :angryfire

I'm hoping someone on here knows of a decent one.

Sue ,Sky and Dood, Bridge angels Clark, Gypsy, Dreamy and Sneakers, Oshkosh,WI Heartbound Greyhound Adoptionsept2013sigcopy_zps8ad6ed09.jpg<p>

I use this one from CVS. It is pretty generic and I've seen it at other stores under their own label as well. The key to this one is to make sure thet you get the pill all the way up into the V. Also, if the pill is scored, make sure the the scoring line is going the same direction s the blade or you will have a crumbled pill.

Edited by Time4ANap
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest Smiley

I use this one from CVS. It is pretty generic and I've seen it at other stores under their own label as well. The key to this one is to make sure thet you get the pill all the way up into the V. Also, if the pill is scored, make sure the the scoring line is going the same direction s the blade or you will have a crumbled pill.

I believe this is the same one we use, but I think we got ours at Walmart. It did a great job, even on the little pills. But yes, be sure to get it snug into the "V".

Guest MyBoys

What Time4ANap said, they all pretty much work the same way, you just have to make sure the pill is lined up just right. It took me some time using one to get it just right, I would cut the pill and half of it would crumble :headwall which would really tee me off. But that little plastic thingy was not going to beat me, I finally got it figured out :blink:

Here's the one I use, perfect split every time. I should have wiped it off but I'm splitting pills constantly :rolleyes:

pillsplitter.jpg

Got it from Savon Drugs

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I bought one at target where the V part is sort of rubbery, so it holds better and has a guard so you can't cut your finger. It's also important, in my experience, to snap the blade down really sharply. If you're using them a lot, be aware that they wear out quicker than you think and you'll have to replace them.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I bought one at target where the V part is sort of rubbery, so it holds better and has a guard so you can't cut your finger. It's also important, in my experience, to snap the blade down really sharply. If you're using them a lot, be aware that they wear out quicker than you think and you'll have to replace them.

That's the one we have too...the V is rubbery...much easier :nod

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

My problem is there is nothing that makes the pill say in the "V" the plastic is smooth. I am hoping there is one that holds the pill in place better.

The 'V" in the CVS one that I have is made from rubber. The pill doesn't slip as long as you have it snug against the "V". You might need to look closely at the ones in the store until you find one that has the rubber grip instead of the smooth plastic.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Thanks I'll have to look closely at the ones in the store to see if they have rubber to hold the pill in place. I think that is the problem, the one I have is smooth plastic. I will be going to Walmart to drop off the new prescription so I will look at what they have.

Sue ,Sky and Dood, Bridge angels Clark, Gypsy, Dreamy and Sneakers, Oshkosh,WI Heartbound Greyhound Adoptionsept2013sigcopy_zps8ad6ed09.jpg<p>

I've had the same experience. Position pill in "V" and then snap the lid down quickly and firmly. Also, I find it helps to keep the pill cutter and blade clean. Replace as needed.

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

My technique is a little different. I lower the blade so it's touching the pill, THEN snap down firmly. If you try to snap down from way above the pill, you're likely to jostle the pill out of position.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Our 13 year old Lab is on 1/2 a meloxicam daily. They are small pills and I just use my fingers to split them. It works for us. I also use a very sharp paring knife to cut pills.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Also, I find it helps to keep the pill cutter and blade clean. Replace as needed.

Just don't be an idiot like I was and wipe the dust of the blade with your finger!

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

i had to cut florineff and predisone for 10 years for my addisonian pup. i used a sharp single edge razor blade on a smooth plate. kept the extra fractions of the pills on the plate until the next dosage. try cutting a teeny predisone in quarters....a sharp razor blade will do the trick every time. cheap and easy.