Greyhounds At Dog Parks

Guest Tokolos

Guest Tokolos

We have a large dog park near our house (South Park), and I'm wondering if it's okay to take our grey there to run around.

Obviously just my opinion, but I don't think it's a good idea. There have too many accidents at the parks, and they happen so fast.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Bang_o_rama

Bang loves romping with her buds at our local dog park (in Riverside Park in Albany Park). No harm so far and most of the owners are quite responsible.

~D~

I would not take my Grey to a general dog park, however, Sunday mornings at my neighborhood dog park a fenced off section is for Greyhounds only, and all dogs are muzzled, so I take him there.

spud_karma_sig.jpgmed_gallery_2551_3357_5098.jpg

Ivon, Spud, Karma & Sasha

Missing Darla (05-22-96 03-01-2010)

Are most of the concerns over injuries to the hounds from other dogs?

For me it is, and it's not just because a dog is aggressive, but the Greys can't rumble and tumble playing like other dogs can.

At the Palm Spring's park, I watched a Grey playing all by himself running and just having a blast. Until he scraped his body on a tree and off to the vet he went.

Also, for me, too many little dogs in with the big dogs and that's game for my three

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I have to say, it depends on the dog and it depends on the park. Most folks that are successful go early in the morning or at an off-peak time. I know the park near me the dogs are more pampered than human children so everyone is attentive and there has never been a problem. But maybe some parks out of the city are a little more 'anything goes.'

If you dog has any sort of issue with smaller dogs and they don't segregate large and small dogs, it wouldn't be a good idea.

Edited by Pepperjack

Guest momofevie

I have to say, it depends on the dog and it depends on the park. Most folks that are successful go early in the morning or at an off-peak time. I know the park near me the dogs are more pampered than human children so everyone is attentive and there has never been a problem. But maybe some parks out of the city are a little more 'anything goes.'

If you dog has any sort of issue with smaller dogs and they don't segregate large and small dogs, it wouldn't not be a good idea.

I agree. I don't have a fenced yard, so I take Evie to either Riverview Park (North Side) or North Park (McCandless) once in a while. We tend to go at off-peak hours, I pay constant attention to her, and I don't hesitate to leave if either she or I are uncomfortable.

This question will get debated over and over...and on here I'd say 75% will not bring their greyhound there..

I agree with their points, but these Greys, although retired, LOVE to run!!! At least Chance does ..all he needs is an hour or less. I've had some scrapes from the woods...minor scuffles with dogs, but most people at my dog park are responsible...and my dog park is strict w/ no toys, little dogs on THEIR side...etc.

Personally, for me, the socialization Chance gets outweighs the "possible" negativity. I stay by Chance (when I can) to deflect bad situations with other dogs...as do the other owners.

If you have a backyard and multiple dogs, then a dog park is probably not necessary.

You also need to see how "responsible" the dog park and it's inhabitants are to make a solid decision.

I LOVE my dog park...and Chance loves it even more ...so choice is made for me.

Like I said, this is purely my opinion and I'm certainly no Greyhound expert. Good luck!

We used to go fairly often, but none of my greys really enjoyed it and Rex downright hated it. He'd just stand by the gate imploring everyone leaving to take him with them. Buck would just walk around and lean against people to get petted. Once in a while If I could get a lab to chase a ball he'd chase the lab. Our park has water access into White Rock Lake and Buck did like to swim.

We did have an incident where Poodle was packed on by small and medium dogs and almost killed, but we went back after that.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Gweneth06

I have never taken my grey Gweneth to a dog park. Partially because of what could happen due to the other dogs and also because she's not always friendly with other breeds! Before my yard was fenced I would take to her to my neighborhood park and run with her on leash. Fun for her, but exhausted me out.

Guest BooBooMama

I had three negative experiences at dog parks: Jen my grass chomper got worms from the dog park; Jamie was attacked by a large, untrained, aggressive male boxer; BooBoo chased a little Jack Russell Terrier and frightened the heck out of his owner. Proceed at your own risk is what I say.

Guest mhall

We use our local dog park very cautiously, because we don't have many other options for off leash running around. We go early in the morning or at dusk. If more than a couple dogs are there, we leave. If any of the dogs seem aggressive, overly enthusiastic or don't interpret the signals of other dogs well, we leave. Our park does not have a separate small dog area, so if small dogs show up we leave. Jasper seems relatively small dog safe, but I think little dogs and big dogs running around together is an accident waiting to happen.

We didn't take our first greyhound to the bark park at all, because he had a very low tolerance for over exuberant dogs.

We go to a dog park every Sunday morning. We don't have a fenced yard (although Opie gets 3 long walks a day) and this the park gives him a chance to run. Our greyhound group meets every Sunday, although it is a mixed dog park. We all watch our dogs, and if too many little yappy ones come in and the greyhounds take up chase, we leave. All of our dogs are muzzled. We all carefully watch for any potential problems, and most of the dog owners are responsible.

There is another dog park closer to my house, and we sometimes take Opie there. Its a new park, and way to many rocks for greyhounds to run, so we just take him there by himself to stretch his legs. Since there are no other greyhounds there, he really has no interest in being there! Saturday we went, and we walked around with him in the park, off leash, and then he was ready to go home.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

If you dog has any sort of issue with smaller dogs and they don't segregate large and small dogs, it wouldn't be a good idea.

Agree 100%. Argos, my first grey, went to the dog park twice a day. He got to run, play with the few dogs that inspired play in him, and socialize as much or as little as he wanted. He was perfectly comfortable sticking up for himself if another dog had bad manners, and he was perfectly comfortable walking away from scuffles. Bootsy, my current grey, gets very nervous at the same park, so I don't take him. I don't like the body language he exhibits or what that might bring out in another dog. He doesn't seem to care about running, so he is happy with his twice daily long walks.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Not only is it about the dog getting hurt, it's about protecting your dog from small dogs even if he is deemed small dog tolerant. All bets are off when 4000 years of breeding to hunt and chase a small dog who is running around a dog park.

have you read about Lexus, the greyhound from Rhode Island who was deemed a vicious dog (sweetest dog in the world) when she killed a small dog in front of the horrified owner at the dog park? She was sent to a kill shelter.

Here is the link:

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/241385-lexus-vicious-dog-formerly-of-ri/page__hl__lexus,%20vicious

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Capslock

Like people have pointed out here, there is no set answer. It depends on the dog park. It depends on the dog, and it depends on the other dogs. I've used dog parks most days for the last 12 years with my five greys. That's thousands of dog park days, with no major incidents. My dogs are highly socialized, however, and are constantly around other dogs, kids, etc. A spooky, nervous, or tightly wound greyhound is a terrible dog park candidate, however. The thin skin, the lack of experience with other dogs, and high prey drive and aggression are a bad combination. However, a relaxed, socialized, mellow greyhound is just like any other dog at the park, and they really do love to run a bit and socialize with the people and dogs. If you think you have a grey with the right frame of mind, I'd go for uncrowded, wide-open parks that have good dog owners, watch your dog like a hawk, and be prepared to leave if the dog mood gets sketchy.

Guest Drumhellergrey

Agree 100%. Argos, my first grey, went to the dog park twice a day. He got to run, play with the few dogs that inspired play in him, and socialize as much or as little as he wanted. He was perfectly comfortable sticking up for himself if another dog had bad manners, and he was perfectly comfortable walking away from scuffles. Bootsy, my current grey, gets very nervous at the same park, so I don't take him. I don't like the body language he exhibits or what that might bring out in another dog. He doesn't seem to care about running, so he is happy with his twice daily long walks.

Agrree, and I'd also like to add that if there is a lot of owners who do not clean up after their dogs, don't go. Think parasitic diseases.

There is a certain city up here in the cold cold north where the owners don't like cleaning up after their pets. I won't mention the name of the place, and there are some that are great about cleaning up after their pets. Not trying to start a debate here, but if you are from this said city, you know what I'm talking about.

Guest Jubilee251

Chiming in as a voice for someone who DOES take her grey to the dog park. But with stipulations, of course - we go during off-times (early morning, late night, etc.) and 99% of the time, there's only one or two other dogs there. I make sure everyone is friendly, or already know each other, before letting her off.

The park near us is also pretty small, so it's easy to keep an eye on everyone. Molly is small-dog tolerant, but I don't know that I'd trust her in a giant 4-acre field to distinguish between a squirrel and a far-away pug. I don't muzzle because no one else is muzzled and if a rude, yappy dog comes in, I will take her out. Molly LOVES to run and chase balls with other dogs, and for us, it's worth it. She is a social butterfly - friendly to people, cats, other breeds, tiny dogs, etc., etc. :lol

Edited by Jubilee251

Guest Nitemare

I, too, live near South Park. Have never had any of my dogs there but from people I know who have. They won't go back. Too crowded. Owners not responsible. Small & large dogs running together. I've driven by (on my way to Mingo Park) and it is always extremely crowded. It just looks like an accident waiting to happen. We don't even walk at South Park since we tend to run into too many off leash dogs. We take the extra 15 minutes and shoot out to Mingo Park.

Guest greytmiles

Not only is it about the dog getting hurt, it's about protecting your dog from small dogs even if he is deemed small dog tolerant. All bets are off when 4000 years of breeding to hunt and chase a small dog who is running around a dog park.

For real. Miles is super sweet and loves other dogs, but I shudder at the thought of him spotting a "little fluffy" from an acre away in the middle of a full run. I don't know how folks with (practically) teacup breeds feel ok with so many other bigger dogs around....greyhounds or not.

I'm still looking for a Central Jersey park that officially separates big and little dogs. So far I've only found the one in East Brunswick.

Erin

Guest MyBoys

I don't take my guys to a dog park, for me it is a control issue, when they start to romp and run I want to be the one to control it, at a dog park you have too many dogs and owners to deal with. I do however have a big fenced in yard and I can keep an eye on them at all times. I am a nervous nelly about my boys so I would not find it enjoyable, my guys will just have to satisfied with their daily walks and running in their own back yard.

Guest kydie

We have none here, but if we did I would not, my reason is, I do not know the care provided by owners, I sure would not mine infested with fleas, or to aquire some sort of parasite

We have dog parks run by the county and we meet a greyhound playgroup every Saturday morning very early before most sensible people are awake on a weekend (6:30-7:00am).

It gives them a chance to run together (there are about 13 greys in the group). All are muzzled when they run, and we leave as the other breeds start arriving. It gives our greys some socializing opportunities too!

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.